Start by marking “Detonation Event (Mars Wars #1)” as Want to Read:
Detonation Event (Mars Wars #1)

Detonation Event

(Mars Wars #1)

For decades the Space Consortium of America has searched for new ways to harvest resources beyond an increasingly depleted Earth. The ultimate plan is about to be ignited. So is the ultimate threat to humankind . . .

DETONATION EVENT

Battle-hardened Captain Ry Devans and his crew of the Mars Orbiting Station-1 are part of a bold plan: resurrect the active molten cores
Published February 5th 2019 by Rebel Base Books

Start your review of Detonation Event (Mars Wars #1)
John Karr
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm the author, so there may be bias.
Jypsy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm waiting for earth to colonize mars. In the meantime, I'll just read various scenarios of this event. I found Detonation Event intriguing and complex. The premise is a bit typical with mars, a rouge virus, bad guys, etc. Despite this, it's an entertaining read for anyone who enjoys mars related fiction. The characters are likeable and the pace is good. A good read overall.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
“Existence on Mars can serve as a failsafe for our species.”

John Andrew Karr, Detonation Event
Mars is the subject of countless sci-fi books and movies, and I think John Andrew Karr puts the reason why at it’s simplest in the above quote. Lots of people – scientists and laymen alike – are fascinated with the idea of terraforming the red planet. However Karr’s Detonation Event is the only book I’ve read where the objective was to try to actually restart the core and bring Mars back to life.

The ide
Read Ng
This was a GoodReads giveaway win of a Kindle ebook.

This is part 1 of a series and reads as a complete book. Not a big cliff hanger ending.

I am much more of a hard science type of person, so I had some issues with the concept of kickstarting a molten core on Mars with a series of timed thermonuclear explosions. But I moved ahead. There was also a total disregard for gravity and the distances needed to be traversed in the real physical universe. Again, I just tried to move ahead.

I found the act
Mark
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an entertaining sci fi thriller. As population soars on earth, two main divisions occur politically. One group wants to destroy humans to save earth and the other wants to expand into space and make money. Both sides have villains and good guys, however the best are the independents who want to save mankind by saving themselves. This first novel in a series sets things up very nicely for a long haul of thrilling novels as mankind proves once again that we have met the enemy, and he is us ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
As the title suggests this starts out with a bang and one that arrives ahead of time. At its heart is the battle between those who want all efforts made on Earth and those who see space as part of the salvation of humans. I found a lot of this new and interesting. There are the changes to humans that most of us would not think are good changes. While the detonation event is part of the story there is also another event that has to be faced. As the story progresses the two events are woven togeth ...more
Brandon
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a pretty enjoyable read. Some of the dialogue was pretty meh, but the plot was well structured and left me curious and interested in book 2.
Steve Bender
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really thrilling space opera. The action is fast and furious and the story is really good. Highly Recommended
Wilma
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through The Portalist, a division of Kensington Publishing. The story revolves around an attempt to revive Mars with thermonuclear explosions and then harvest resources from it. But things don't quite go as planned and Captain Ry Devans and his crew are nearly killed when the detonation takes place while they're still on Mars surface. They manage to survive and get back to the orbiter. However, something else escapes Mars...a microbe that will prove fatal to humanity. While the m ...more
Ircel
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Engaging Space Opera

Although my expectations for this volume were limited, I found this to be an engaging page turner. Characters are fun and situations unpredictable. Look forward to future offerings.
Heliosxx
Dawn
Jul 06, 2019
Wendy
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the future a faction called the EFF has had humans genetically engineered to have bigger eyes, be smaller and die sooner in order to save Earth's dwindling resources.

The EFF feels that all resources should be used only on Earth and refuse to consider any other ideas. Their opposing faction (SCONA) wants to start Mars spinning again and terraform it so that humans have a new home. While SCONA gets ready for the Detonation Event by planting two thermonuclear devices deep in Mars's surface, the
Daniel Hermans
Dec 09, 2018
C
Jun 19, 2019
Andreas Kouris
rated it did not like it
Mar 01, 2019
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
5 Cranky Stars

It is Earth’s problem in 2228 AD to be overpopulated and like our present, resources are dwindling. Over the decades, science has genetically changed the human race to be shorter, thinner and have larger eyes. Thus, resource consumption is lessened. However, the Space Consortium of America and the Earth First Faction are at odds as to how to save the environment.

SCONA has excelled in space travel and has built bases on the moon, Jupiter and free flying around Mars. Their biggest p
Dot Campbell
Readers That Love...: Detonation Event (Mars Wars 1) 1 3 Jun 24, 2019 05:22AM
The Evolution of ...: Detonation Event (Mars Wars) 2 9 Apr 27, 2019 10:40AM
Author's Corner : Detonation Event (Mars Wars) 2 1 Apr 27, 2019 10:39AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Detonation Event (Mars Wars) 4 12 Apr 27, 2019 10:39AM
upcoming release from Kensington Books, Kindle giveaway 1 1 Nov 21, 2018 06:17AM

• Island of Glass (The Guardians Trilogy, #3)
  • Caspian's Fortune (Infinity's End #1)
  • Spirit of Steamboat (Walt Longmire, #9.1)
  • Captive Star (Stars of Mithra, #2)
  • Disunited Nations: Succeeding in a World Where No One Gets Along
  • The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1)
  • The Belt: Complete Trilogy (The Belt #1-3)
  • Darkest Reach (Infinity's End #3)
  • Soon's Folly (Infinity's End #1.5)
  • Tempest Rising (Infinity's End #2)
  • Journey's Edge (Infinity's End #4)
  • Secrets Past (Infinity's End #5)
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Fight the Good Fight (Echoes of War, #1)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning #1)
  • No Middle Name (Jack Reacher Short Stories)
  • Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • Skywave (The Rorschach Explorer Missions, #1)
John Andrew Karr (also John A. Karr) writes of the strange and spectacular. He is the author of a handful of independent and small press novels and novellas, including the Mars Wars science fiction series via Kensington Books’ Rebel Base imprint. Short stories have appeared in New Reader Magazine, Flame Tree Publishing, Danse Macabre, Allegory and others.

He’s a North Carolina resident, IT worker,