Start by marking “Quiet Bunny” as Want to Read:
Quiet Bunny

Quiet Bunny

In this beautiful picture book by renowned artist Lisa McCue, Little Bunny discovers the importance - and pleasure - of dancing to your own kind of music.
But, one day, he wonders: 'how c
Published March 3rd 2009 by Sterling (first published March 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Quiet Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quiet Bunny

Cara Byrne
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ch-cHeEt-chCHEET says the grasshopper and sssssssssss says the snake, but what does the bunny say? An engaging picture book about a little bunny in search of his own sound in a world with noisy animals. Once he discovers his own sound ("thump, thump, thump,") he joyfully engages with the world. As our copy is ripped in about ten places, it's clear that my little one loves to look at the sweet bunny and all of the animals in the dusk-lit forest where he lives. A peaceful read perfect for bedtime.
Jennifer Heise
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebook, rabbits, kids
Cute fuzzy pictures, but blah story and somewhat formulaic, even though it espouses the idea of listening quietly to the noises of nature, as well as following your dreams by finding what only you can do.
Shannon Weeden
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Very cute and sweet story I read to my niece at bedtime. Short enough to keep her attention, yet long enough for her to not ask for another book.
Tasha
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Quiet Bunny loves the many sounds of his forest home: the morning birds, the wind rustling the leaves. His favorite time of day is in the evening when the meadow is filled with the night song of so many animals. Quiet Bunny wishes that he could join the night song, so he wishes upon a star that he will get his own sound to make. The next morning, Quiet Bunny tries to sing like a bird, croak like a frog, hiss like a snake, and make other noises, but he still can’t make any noise. An Owl seeing Qu ...more
Anthony W
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbgs-1
This book deals with a bunny that loves the sound of the forest but he is known as guiet bunny because he has no sound. He searched and searched and at the end of the day finally finds his sound, and everyone loves it and joins in the music.

In this beautiful picture book by renowned artist Lisa McCue, Little Bunny discovers the importance—and pleasure—of dancing to your own kind of music. More than anything, Quiet Bunny loves the sounds of the forest: the birds chirping, the wind whispering shhh
Kathryn
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Lisa McCue's artwork. "Cute" and "Adorable" don't go far enough to describe the darling animals she creates. I want to give her animals a bug hug!

In her dedication, McCue acknowledges Nancy Kriebel, "for inspiring me with your insight as a speech language pathologist to create an interactive story that targets sounds that are instrumental for early speech development and pre-reading/reading skills." This sounds worthy, indeed. I admit that I got the book purely because of the really cute
Allison
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
McCue, Lisa Quiet Bunny 32 pgs. Sterling ~Language G, Sexual Content~G Violence~G

A Cow says “Moo”, Sheep say “Baaa”, but what sound to bunnies make? Bunny likes to listen to the sounds around him. After all he has big ears! He tries to make a sound and is disappointed to find out that he can’t. He is determined and goes about trying to copy sounds he hears. The bat’s wings go ‘wha, wha, wha’ but even when flapping his ears he is quiet. Eventually Bunny finds a unique way to make a sound all his
Marissa J.
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10-choice
This book is an inspiring story about a young rabbit trying to find his voice within the forest realm. Encounters with many different animals show this bunny that not everyone's voice is heard in the same way.

Intracate portraits line the pages of this amazing short story. The reader gets a great look into the night noises within the forest. Colorful text shows the reader the difference between the story itself and the noises that are "heard" throughout the book. I find this book to be an extrem
Tricia
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This title is an instant classic for storytime and readaloud use for children ages preschool through early elementary. "Quiet Bunny loves the sounds of the forest." So begins this story about a little rabbit who relishes the sounds of the forest, especially in the nighttime. He wishes to be a part of this symphony of voices so he goes on a quest to find his sound. At first frustrated and then enlightened, he joyously discovers that his contribution may not be a traditional voice but just as vita ...more
Ina
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
I fell in love with Quiet Bunny. The character is so adorable - hats off to Lisa McCue for her wonderful illustrations! This adorable little guy loves the all the sounds of the forest he lives in but there is one problem: when he tries to contribute he opens his mouth but only silence comes out. He tries everything to copy the sounds he hears. Finally, wise old owl advises him to find his own sound...which he does - by accident - and very happily joins in all the other forest animals and the cac ...more
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is one that I will definitely use in my classroom. It is about a little bunny who wishes he could make sound like the other animals in the forest. He tries to make the same sounds as the crickets, frogs, and the coyote, but he just cannot. Then, he accidentally "thumps" a log and suddenly realizes he can make noise! This book is full of onomatopoeias that will keep your students engaged from start to finish!
Amy Juras
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable illustrations, wonderful story, amazingly readable book. I bought many copies for friends with kids that have to work on speech as well as relatives that have younger kids that like to look at these pictures. They literally pop off the page. Also I bought one for my ENT who said that he liked the book so much he brought it home for his kids so that it would not get messed up in his waiting room!
Claire Macugay
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I actually got a very powerful message from this story. As long as you stay true to yourself, you can do anything you set your mind to. The bunny spent so much time admiring all the other animals and trying to mimic them, but it wasn't until the wise owl shed some light on him, that he was able to create a sound for himself. The illustrations were absolutely adorable as well. It made me miss my bunny, Hiphop, back at home.
Kirsten
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My daughter really loves this book. Lots of fun with different animal sounds (especially since it goes beyond the usual farm animals). Beautifully illustrated. I will say that we got another Quiet Bunny book that isn't listed on Goodreads which she also likes, but Quiet Bunny and his self esteem issues start to bother me once I see it as a theme throughout the different books. Ugh, Quiet Bunny is such a whiner. That probably makes me a bad person. But this is still a good book.
Marianne Orton
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was another instant hit at my house. My kids love listening to me make all the sounds Quiet Bunny loves to hear in the forest. The reason I love this story is how Quiet Bunny discovers his own sound, and how it's in a place you might not expect. His wish comes true- he's able to join in with the other animals of the forest in the night song. This book teaches that music comes in all forms. Anything can be an instrument- even a hollow log on the forest floor!
Libby
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
My 1-year-old really liked hearing all the sounds the animals in this book make. I like that it doesn't highlight the typical "sound-making animals" in children's books (like mostly farm animals....), but more unique ones. And the bunny is so cute! I read it to my 3-year-old's preschool swap group and they really liked it as well. (we read it for "Q" week and laid under a quilt being quiet while I read. :D)
Christy
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, popular

More than anything, Quiet Bunny loves the sounds of the forest: the birds chirping, the wind whispering shhhhh through the leaves, and, especially, the night song all the rabbits listen to. But, one day, he wonders: how can
Russell
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
(view spoiler) Solid message about overcoming your limitations, and redefining the dominant paradigm of your society. Keep on culture jamming, Quiet Bunny.
Molly
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sweet story that answers the longtime question what sound does a bunny make? This cuddly little bunny spends the day thinking about what sound he makes. Sweet story for someone looking for a bunny read. Ages 2+
Rebecca
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Tamara
Possibly the cuddliest main character ever.

"Thanks to Nancy Kriebel, for inspiring me with your insight as a speech language pathologist to create an interactive story that targets sounds that are instrumental for early speech development and pre-reading/reading skills."
Gina
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of my daughter's favorite picture books, this sweet little tale has colorful pictures and a wonderful message about worrying less about what you can do and focus more on your own personal strengths.
Rosanna
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
My daughter didn't get into this one quite as much as Quiet Bunny's Many Colors but she did enjoy reading about Quiet Bunny. We had fun making all the animal sounds.
Molly
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved reading this one at Storytime. The kids had a blast mimicking all the animal noises.
Connie
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
How Thumper got his thump. LOL. Move over Beatrix Potter, this art work is fantastically beautiful!
Julie
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like this one because it is a noise making book. I mean, to read it properly, you have to make the sound effects. And the kiddos like that.
Lynette
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A beautiful picture book with so many teaching points (onomatopoeia, character education, self esteem).
Stephanie Wycihowski
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
good story! cute illustrations.. a bit long as a read a loud!
it would be better shared one on one.
Chelsea
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book would be a great read especially during the first days of school. This could help those shy students that would tak a little longer to warm up to students and the classroom.
Tamara
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This bunny is absolutely precious.

Big pictures and animal sound participation would make this a good storytime book, I think. You know, with my vast amount of storytime experience. :)
Elisa
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Beautiful pictures, sweet message -- be yourself!
  • Bunny's Noisy Book
  • Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad
  • What Does Bunny See?: A Book of Colors and Flowers
  • Little Quack's Hide and Seek
  • Knitty Kitty
I was born in Brooklyn, NY and moved to Tappan, NY when I was 4. As early as I can remember, teachers were telling me that my drawings should be in children’s books. While in high school I was given the assignment to write a paper describing a day in my life 25 years into the future. I described myself as married with 2 children, working in my studio overlooking the ocean and designing greeting ca ...more