Start by marking “Dungeon Desolation (The Divine Dungeon Book 4)” as Want to Read:
Dungeon Desolation (The Divine Dungeon Book 4)

Dungeon Desolation

(The Divine Dungeon #4)

The penultimate installment of Dakota Krout's best-selling Divine Dungeon series!

The necromantic armies are on the warpath and nowhere is safe. Even the presumed sanctuary of the floating dungeon controlled by Cal is threatened! The leadership of nearly all the sentient monarchies has been wiped out, and only the races most suited to repelling the advancing darkness have
Published November 2nd 2018 by Mountaindale Press

To ask other readers questions about Dungeon Desolation, please sign up.
Nealefelaen Penultimate means second last - there is going to be one more book after this one.

Pen- : almost
Ultimate: final

Pent- or Penta- is the prefix for '5'.

Maraud3r
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Guess I'm the only one who didn't love this book.

For me, this book basically killed the series. First it destroys a bunch of established rules. Such as "essence" not being used up but being drawn back into the body after the cultivator used it. Now it's used up and people need to refill. It also ignores how essence was supposedly being "generated" rather than a constant. We see that in book two where the underground river he finds is concerned.

All of this is a setup for the absolutely atrocious
Stephen
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not the best

I really have enjoyed this author, but this book is not well constructed. The story feels rushed and cobbled together. The first three books had a destination while this book starts with something then veers left and right. Its been hard for me to read because I really loved this series. I really dig the ritualist books too, but because of this book I’m afraid of what he will do with that series. You can’t always introduce more and more overpowered characters or solutions.

If you want
GaiusPrimus
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The gold standard

When it comes to dungeon stories, there's none better than the Divine Dungeon. While I personally feel that this particular iteration felt rushed, it was still wildly entertaining and scratched the dungeon itch.

Now to put up with the long wait until the next release.... Good thing we got the Completionist Chronicles.
Trent
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I blame Dakota for my lack of sleep..

Seriously. Meant to read a chapter or two and it is now nearly dawn.
This work stands among the top-most tier of quality dungeon core lit. Entertaining, engaging, and impossible to put down.
If you've read the previous in this series and are debating this one then stop your foolish dawdling and go allocate the rest of your day for this. If you are new to this author then start at the beginning rather than here but by all means start. You. Will. Not. Regret. It.
Russell Gray
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg, fantasy, reviewed
The Divine Dungeon series established and has maintained the standard for a dungeon core story in my opinion. It separates itself so fully from the others that I find myself mentally groaning when other series try adding in a dungeon resource-building trope.

So I am a little sad to say that reading this book was a fairly hollow experience. The witty banter and puns that initially separated Dakota from the more generic offerings of other authors felt a little bit like a caricature this time around
Lyndon
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I dislike dungeon books, and yet I love this series

The author called this the penultimate book in the series and quite a lot happens therein, looking forward to the next book where hopefully Barry gets what's coming to him.
Chris Evans
Sep 24, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Next one announced!!! So excited. Didn't know Krout had a Patreon, does anyone have a link to it?
Benn
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dakota Krout know knows how to write

I love the Divine Dungeon Series! Book 4 was more Cal goodness and random funny things does not see coming like killer snowmen. I almost couldn’t read the end of the scene because I was laughing to hard. Thanks for another great and fun read Dakota Krout, I’m looking forward to your next work.
Erik Van Norstrand
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

I am giving this book 5 stars as I really enjoyed the story.

My frustration is I feel as if the author rushed through the story and hit the reader with a hard right turn for no other reason then to setup the next book.

That being said, amazing story, great characters, and I can’t wait to read the next book.
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Call in the Cal-vary, this is amazing!

I had to make the Cal joke; sorry.

This was AMAZING. The only thing I didn't like is that it wasn't longer and I had to wait as long as I did to get it.
The fantastic storytelling returns with Cal, Dale, and the rest of the folks that inhabit Mountaindale! Twists, turns, intrigue, puns, more puns, and a few developments that I don't think anyone could have seen coming. Hard to put down and I am honestly wondering how the author can top this.

As with the prior b
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Call in the Cal-vary, this is amazing!

I had to make the Cal joke; sorry.

As with the prior b
Vincent Archer
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: litrpg
The series nears its close, and I'm probably going to be sad soon...

First, however, a small point: I'm a stickler for continuity, and the previous book established that Dale was going to be unable to leave Mountaindale until he got B-rank and generated his own mana. He promptly does it not once, but twice in this book.

There's also some feeling about odd and wrong narrative jumps. At some points, while the outside events make sense, and the inner dungeon narrative make sense, the juxtaposition at
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another top notch addition to a wonderful series

This is one hell of a great addition to the dungeon series that Dakota has built. I love the character progression throughout this story and the strife and pain that everyone feels hits home with a level of emotion that has you sitting on the edge of your seat wanting more right up until the end of the story.

I can't recommend this story enough to everyone am because of how well it is wrote and engaging it is. I wasnt able to put this book down unti
Claire Johnson
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. I've read this entire series over and over, having read each book 5 or 6 times. I just keep coming back. There's just something incredibly fun about Dakota Krout's writing style, not to mention how witty and clever it is. All the characters are interesting and nuanced, without being broody or gloomy, and the main characters have interesting personal growth throughout their character arcs. I'm actually really excited about where the series is going after this book, because it ...more
Blu Davis
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the author’s writing style and he has rapidly cemented his place in my heart as one of my favorite authors. The length was about average but felt shorter due to how fast and smoothly the read went. In this book we begin to see how some of Cal’s long range plans are beginning to affect the world around him. In addition to the theme of power consequences seem to be an emerging idea. The plot progressed fantastically and as always left me drooling for the next book. My only wish is for a lon ...more
Dayton
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun But With Pacing Problems

I really enjoyed this book. The author is adept at weaving an intricate tail and a believable world.

Why 3 stars: there’s a few unexpected plot shifts that feel like they come out of nowhere. It’s like two story idea got stitched together from parts. At the same time, you are given hints to a vast history of a few fringe characters which left me feeling a bit cheated. I imagine we’ll be given the details in future books, but I wish we could follow those adventures mor
Anthony Bowen
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just WOW!!!

If I could read this book higher than five stars I would. This series is honestly very well done dungeon Core Series. There are a few others that have dungeon based books but this is by far number one. I'm still working on a few others and I will edit if it changes but I doubt it will. The way the story progresses and the amount of story and just this one volume leaves nothing wanted. If you are a tall fan of litrpg, or Eric Vall, or any type of dungeon crawling or dungeon based genre
Jack Vinson
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Did they win, or delay the inevitable

Dale and Cal continue their strange relationship in a new light after book 3 in this series where they have combined souls. They both continue to get more and more powerful as they learn new ways of using their abilities.

The timelines in this series seem very strange. On the one hand, the main characters have aged and grown significantly more powerful. But on the other, it seems only a few months have passed since humble shepherd Dale first came across the f
Dillon McCardell
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a lot, but nothing more exciting than this

Thank you Dakota Krout for even existing. This series has brought me hours of entertainment and the fact that I have to wait for the next book is agonizing.

I am very impressed with the philosophical and abstract connections you have made to the real world within this book. It’s a level above the previous novels. Somehow, these book just keep getting better.

Keep up the good work! I’m now off to read the rest of your novels :)
ryan thomson
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great addition to the series

I love the dungeon core series that started the sub genre. This book continues the story by following the story’s of the main characters and the world at large. This book sets up the series for a epic finally in the next book and also lays the ground work for not only the end of the dungeon born series but the links to the ritualist series that were hinted to in Dakota’s last published book.

Thanks Dakota for the books, I love your writing and It’s so consistent that
Brian M
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sad for the Wait

I love this series. When I first started it I was disinterested, but after hearing the audible, it really brought the characters to life. Now that I have voices I can follow I've read the other books and the story and characters have been very enjoyable. Cal is definitely my favorite mc, whereas Dale is the mc in which normal stories would go about, in a way they are the same mc though, right? ^_^ It just sucks with the waiting, but great art takes time i suppose. Keep it up!
Schuyler
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
It's definitely another one

If you liked the first 3 books in this series you'll probably like this one.

A bit more filler and distraction then the last two and I'm not sold on Dakota knowing where he's going with this book, that's not true I know where he's going and if you've read his other series then you do too, I'm just not sure why he's going there in this particular manner.
Michiel
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book!

This book was fast-paced and pleasant to read. I'm so happy that the main characters finally started working together. I'm glad that the author is leaving it open for the next book cuz I was afraid this was going to be the last one. I would like to see Dani develop more depth she seems to be kind of one-dimensional right now kind of the classical shrew wife. That doesn't really impact the book however.
Jeff Dunton
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Out of the park! Or... off the mountain!

Once again Dakota has hit all the right marks for an excellent read. Continuing Cal and Dale's adventures and taking them to new heights! My only minor complaint is that the ending seems rushed, but I think that is mainly just to set up for the next part, so its not bad. Just have to wait for book 5. This entire story keeps me engaged and wanting more!
Tyler
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can't get enough

I absolutely love this series and Krout knocks it out of the park every time. Adding the right amount of humor, action, and development of the dungeon and characters to keep you invested. I had thought that some coincidences in The book were interesting now im intrigued about the possible correlation between our planet and this world. Keep up the good work for your novels and i look forward to buying from you and your publishings in the future.
Michelle
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable.

Fun book with no bad language. Instead of using curse words the author became creative. He was able to get his piont across without using swear words. This was done with creative replacement words most of the time, but this just added a degree of humor. It is very refreshing and fun to read a good story without the flow of the story being interrupted by foul language.
Aaron Augustus
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great read.

I love the storyline as well as the character depth and growth. Several more unexpected plot twists and turns. I enjoyed how you have tied all the books together, the ending of this book was more foreseen than the last one, yet still had unexpected elements.

Thank you Mr. Krout
Justin Wiemer
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent series

The first book started a bit slower, but was still a good read and was a good setup for the rest of the series. Each book becomes more addictive than the last, and I want the next. Dakota is a great author and his series "The Completionist Chronicles" is another fantastic set that I can't wait to continue.
Mike Goodman
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No Dog Here Great STory

I started reading the Dark ELf and came upon the dog naming and remembered this book was being released at the same time. Wow, I am so glad I switch books. This was an awesome story with a great index at the back. Can't wait for that Completionist story...
Rob Billiau
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this series

I love the series, in this book was no different. The author has an amazing way of explaining it all kinds of weirdness that makes the World feel alive in a way that I’ve seen in a very few other books. I will say however that the ending did feel rushed, the resolution I felt like could’ve been fleshed out a little bit more to get a much more satisfying result.
Dakota Krout - Author of the Amazon best-selling Divine Dungeon and Completionist Chronicles series

I live in a 'pretty much Canada' Minnesota city with my wife and daughter. By day I'm a web developer and computer programmer, but in the early morning and late evening you'll find me draped over my computer creating new worlds and doing my best to bring characters to life.

I started writing The Divi

The Divine Dungeon (4 books)
  • Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon, #1)
  • Dungeon Madness (The Divine Dungeon, #2)
  • Dungeon Calamity (The Divine Dungeon, #3)
“Rose whipped out an arrow and fired at him. Hans didn’t move, and the arrow *thunked* into the armor covering his knee. He looked down at the arrow, back at her, and back at the arrow. “Are you invoking the Northman’s courting ritual?” “Ha!” Tom bellowed a single, deep laugh. “He’s right; we call getting married ‘taking an arrow to the knee’! You just got engag-” he sputtered to a stop as he looked at an arrowhead that was pointing at his eye.” 0 likes