Start by marking “Mere Fundamentalism: The Apostles' Creed and the Romance of Orthodoxy” as Want to Read:
Mere Fundamentalism: The Apostles' Creed and the Romance of Orthodoxy

Mere Fundamentalism: The Apostles' Creed and the Romance of Orthodoxy

"There is a broad way that seems right to man but which leads to death and destruction, so also there is a narrow way that opens up into unbelievable glories. This is the romance of orthodoxy."

In this book, Douglas Wilson combines G.K. Chesterton-like prose with the Apostles' Creed, and explains such doctrines as the Trinity, creation, fall, salvation, Scripture, and the
Published October 2nd 2018 by Canon Press

To ask other readers questions about Mere Fundamentalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mere Fundamentalism

Start your review of Mere Fundamentalism: The Apostles' Creed and the Romance of Orthodoxy
Kyle Grindberg
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, especially valuable for the section on God's transcendence and revelation at the beginning, as well as the section on epistemology, and the short section on hell.
Ben Zornes
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics, theology

I had the privilege of reading this book for CanonPress' audiobook version, and then read it again with the elders of my church. Both times through I was thoroughly blessed, edified, and enlightened as to how to rightly hold fast to the apostolic faith. In Pastor Wilson's own words, "Held the right way, narrow truths create the broadest of hearts."

Wilson aims to show how fidelity to the Apostles' teaching, provides the basis for true Christian fellowship across denominational lines. In essence,

Jordan Teague
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An easily consumable entry point to the basic tenants of orthodox Christianity. For those comfortable with the Apostles creed, a great reminder of what is at the core of the faith.
Valerie Kyriosity
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The word fundamentalism doesn't have to be an ugly one. This little book covers some of the basic Christian doctrines in an unugly way. I especially liked the chapters on the church and final things—bolstered my love of the saints and my trust about the future. I'd have more quotes, but some activities, like scribbling commonplaces and shredding chicken, just don't go together. Here are a few I did manage to catch:

"When we look along the history of the church, seeing the end result by viewing it
Jonah
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fine read.
David Bruyn
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful

The ghost of C. S. Lewis haunts the pages. Except the postmillennial ones. Or the theonomic ones. The haunted pages are great.
Jeremy
Oct 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
Promo here. ...more
Josh Dockter
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun little book with a refreshing take on some of the core doctrines of the Christian faith. Don't let the title deceive you-no, not that kind of fundamentalism:)
Kate
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
For the book itself: I will probably need to reread it several times to get everything out of it that is there, but in this pass I can mark its strengths. It needles out splinters of foolish thought that get hurled at Christians all the time - from the idea of a musclebound God to an evolutionary mythos. The immensity of God's world and Word pound these issues into dust which this book does well instead of entertaining them as well thought out questions and not petulance. This book is comfortabl ...more
Matthew McGuire
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A spirited defense from Wilson of the tenets of the Apostles' Creed and other foundations of his Christian thought. This is a good lay of the land for anyone interested in reading further on the various topics, each of which is treated here with brevity and wit. This wasn't as much of an enthralling work for me, as I've read quite a bit of Wilson already. So while there were no big surprises, it was a refreshing booklet.
Dan Wann
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Particularly the last few chapters show the biblical and philosophical underpinnings of a view of eternity that echos Lewis at his best. Wilson is always a quick wit and turns a phrase that makes the turning of a page seldom without a chuckle.
john atkins
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Challenge what do we believe

It tackles the real questions that so many today would hide away the reality creation of heaven and hell but most importantly the vast love of God and our faith
History7teacher
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing study of theology!

This is among the most amazing, delightful, and compelling surveys of theology that I’ve ever read. Wilson’s theology is sound, and his explanations are clear, but his illustrations are superb! This is a book to read, reread, and share!
Jonathan Roberts
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2019
As with all books by Doug Wilson this book was awesome! I am currently studying the Apostle’s Creed and this book set a high standard. His summary of the Apostle’s Creed for the penultimate chapter was worth the price of the book by itself! Highly recommended
Troy
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful at parts and good apologetics in whole
Thiago McHertt
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, i-own-it
This is another great read. Wilson's treatment of the fundamentals is quite an interesting one. I like his take on epistemology a lot. His point on the church are also quite valuable.
Michael
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, systematics
Excellent.
Douglas Gates
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I think Wilson is becoming a better writer. Or I'm becoming a better reader. Or both. Wouldn't that be swell.
Christopher
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A chiropractic adjustment kind of a book which reaches into your head and helpfully knocks a few things loose (which isn't even to mention the winsome, enjoyable prose).
Nathan
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Audiobook)
Deax
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is just a delight to read. I really enjoyed the chapter on the Church, which helped me to love my brothers and sisters in Christ more. Rich and heart-warming. I highly recommend it.
Sang Woo Park
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Defending the groundwork of the orthodox Christian faith with rigor and vitality.
Jerry
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
A fresh and bracing treatment of the Apostles' Creed: "Held the right way, narrow truths create the broadest of hearts."
Caleb Blevins
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. Wilson does a great job covering the basics of Christianity as they are laid out in the Apostle’s Creed.
Daniel
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Informative
Scott White
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
He starts out with a history lesson of the word fundamentalism. Today it’s associated with hardcore taliban and incense burning Buddhist and Bible Belt church goers that condemn coed roller skating.
In the 20’s a nationwide publication was circulated that listed the fundamentals of the Christian life. The liberals even back then took it and have twisted it to be a negative thing.
The author went into an apologetic lesson on some of those fundamentals. Creation. One God. Trinity. Sufficiency of s
Shaina Herrmann
Dec 26, 2019
Jeremiah
Feb 05, 2019
Ryan
Jan 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Household and the War for the Cosmos: Recovering a Christian Vision for the Family
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • A Different Shade of Green: A Biblical Approach to Environmentalism and the Dominion Mandate
  • Martin Luther: The Man Who Rediscovered God and Changed the World
  • That Hideous Strength (The Space Trilogy, #3)
  • The Winter King
  • Against All Opposition: Defending the Christian Worldview
  • Can We Trust the Gospels?
  • Eve in Exile and the Restoration of Femininity
  • The Weight of Glory
  • The Mythology of Science
  • Learning Contentment
  • A Christian Manifesto
  • The Return of Christendom: Demography, Politics, and the Coming Christian Majority
  • Love Thy Body: Answering Hard Questions about Life and Sexuality
  • You Who? Why You Matter and How to Deal With It
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • From Silence to Song: The Davidic Liturgical Revolution
I write in order to make the little voices in my head go away. Thus far it hasn't worked.

News & Interviews