Start by marking “Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)

Wicked Fox

(Gumiho #1)

A fresh and addictive fantasy-romance set in modern-day Seoul.

Eighteen-year-old Gu Miyoung has a secret--she's a gumiho, a nine-tailed fox who must devour the energy of men in order to survive. Because so few believe in the old tales anymore, and with so many evil men no one will miss, the modern city of Seoul is the perfect place to hide and hunt.

But after feeding one ful
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 429 pages
Published June 25th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Fox, please sign up.
Kat Cho It is in third person!

It is in third person!

I wanted to tell a story that incorporated the Korean folktales that my parents introduced me to as a child. I also have a very large love of Korean dramas ever since I was a little girl and watched my first historical K-drama with my grandmother, so I loved the idea of incorporating some of those themes and tropes into YA fiction (another one of my loves)(less)
We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan HeWicked Saints by Emily A. DuncanThe Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn HermanThe Candle and the Flame by Nafiza Azad
YA Debuts 2019
143 books — 904 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
YA Novels of 2019
791 books — 2,315 voters

More lists with this book...

Chaima ✨ شيماء
Grandchild: Grandma, why are you so bitter?
Me:*takes a swig of vodka*
Me: *lights up cuban cigar*
Me:*gazes out the window*
Me: I was once let down by one of my most anticipated releases and I wasn't able to let it go ever since

*roll credits*

This started out SO GOOD and I guess halfway through the author just run out of ideas and it went downhill from there?? Anyway, full review to come.
Chloe
Reading this was a dream come true. A young adult urban fantasy set in Seoul? My heart 💗. And it was everything that I wanted a more.

I absolutely loved the Korean mythology and it was perfectly woven into the story. The characters? Amazing. I love them and the relationships that were formed. My heart also broke for them. I'll talk about it more in my wrap up, but GET EXCITED FOR THIS! This comes out 25 June!

Thank you so much Penguin Random House for providing me with an ARC! I am eternally grate
Miranda Reads
May 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
A girl who kills to survive.

A boy captured by goblins, saved by a killer.

A choice - an immortal existence for a single human life.

Don't know about you, but I have high hopes for this one. I love that it's centered on Korean mythology set in the modern world - this is going to be amazing!
Elena
Feb 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
[5/31/19]
if anyone is able to get an arc of this at bookcon and is willing to give it to me i will gladly take it and wish nothing but blessings and happiness for you

[1/24/19]
I CAN'T BELIEVE MY PREDICTIONS OF THE COVER WERE TRUE !!!! IT TRULY LOOKS LIKE THIS CAME OUT OF A KOREAN WEBTOON

KAT CHO PLEASE THROW ME AN EARLY COPY OF THIS I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'M ANTICIPATING THIS ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I AM A KDRAMA LOVER AND THIS IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR US KDRAMA LOVERS

[12/21/18]
WiCkeD fOx

[12/11/1
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 08, 2019 marked it as paused-on-hold
Recommended to Chelsea by: Melanie
We are being blessed this year with so many exquisite, unique, Asian inspired fantasies.

description
Azrah
Oct 27, 2018 marked it as crushing-that-tbr-2019
Shelves: debut, 2019-release
27 Oct, 2018
A CONTEMPORARY FANTASY BASED ON KOREAN MYTHOLOGY? KAT CHO, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN GIRL?? I AM HERE FOR THIS description
Anissa
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-release
So much yes! This was full of so many amazing surprises and twists. I won’t say anymore as I don’t want to give anything away but my heart cannot take the cuteness that is Miyoung and Jihoon. Love!!
Kat Cho
Mar 01, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
UPDATE 4/10/2019:

For anyone outside of the US and Canada, there is going to be an international export edition! AND (drumroll...) it will be under its original title of GUMIHO! (Well, technically GUMIHO: WICKED FOX). I'm so grateful that international readers will get a chance to meet Jihoon and Miyoung!
--------------------------------

UPDATE 1/22/2019:

Cover is here! (follow the link for an exclusive excerpt): https://ew.com/books/2019/01/22/wicke...

Please
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Thank you, Penguin Random House, for giving me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

You can meet a girl who seems angry and secretive and learn that it's all just a front for a kind heart that's been hurt too many times.

As a lover of K-pop and K dramas (Korean culture in general), this was my most anticipated release of 2019. The wait was agonizing. When the book was finally in my hands several days before my birthday, I felt so happy. In retrospect, I probably should have lowere
Melanie
Feb 23, 2018 marked it as to-read

This is all I want in my literary life.
*Master Chief voice*
Wake me when it's 2019.
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jan 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
HOLY FUCK THIS SOUNDS LIKE EVERYTHING I'VE EVER WATNED AND NEEDED!!!

NEED..

NEED..

NEED ...

NEED!!!!!

Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
Ellie
Jan 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: reviewed
This sounds like a Korean drama x fantasy novel.
Count me in.
Hollis
This is a paranormal fantasy, with a heavy focus on Korean mythology, set in present day Seol. And boy did it hook me right away.

"My mother says gumiho are always women because we gain our power from the moon."
"And what is a man?"
"Dinner."

Honesty, the first 1/3rd of this book was nonstop delight. It was interesting, refreshing, funny, thrilling.. I loved both our heroine, a half-human half-nine-tailed fox -- who chooses to siphon the life force from evil men to survive (unlike her mother, a full
Julie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Don't miss this, especially if you are a fan of K-Drama, sweeping love stories, antiheroines, and cinnamon roll boys! (Who isn't?)

My official review:

“WICKED FOX is a delight from beginning to end. Set against the bustling cityscape of Seoul, this elegant contemporary fantasy explores what it means to be a monster and what we must give up in the pursuit of love, forgiveness, and our truest selves. A triumph!”
– Julie C. Dao, author of FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS
Vicky Who Reads
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
need for book two: *intensifies*

I feel like a shaking chihuahua waiting for a sequel askksksks
Lucy
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5**** rounded up!

“Night and darkness made a believer of everyone.”

18 year old Miyoung is not your typical girl, she is part Gumiho- a nine-tailed fox who survives by consuming the gi (energy) of men. However, much to her mothers disappointment, she is also half-human, with empathy and soft spots for some humans. With the help of a local shaman who can see spirits, Miyoung only kills those who commit terrible crimes.

Both Miyoung and her Mother hide in plain site, Miyoung attends school in Seo
Noha Badawi
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting and worth the hype!
Wait for my thoughts on July 1st with Penguin Random House International

full review
Angelica
well, that went downhill fast.

RTC
Scrill
Feb 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019
K drama angst. Sign me up!

Traci Chee
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the world of WICKED FOX: a vibrant, fantastical version of Seoul populated by spirits, monsters, and characters who are as concerned with exams, bullies, and family relations as they are with the supernatural dangers that surround them. Cho’s Miyoung and Jihoon will steal your heart and give it back to you a thousand times fuller. This is a page-turning debut you cannot miss.
Kaja (red panda) *:・゚✧
Feb 22, 2018 marked it as waiting-for-preorder
Shelves: preordered
OK, SO. On amazon the book already has the release date, even though for whatever reason the goodreads page hasn't been updated?? Or maybe I'm looking at wrong edition. ANYWAY. Release date is 25th of June 2019, it's already preorderable. I have preordered it and if you are able to preorder, you should too. <3
------------
Ok, hear me out. THIS sounds like everything I've EVER NEEDED AND FALL 2019 IS SO FREAKING FAR AWAY.

Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

Anyone who knows me even a little know that I love Asia with a passion and love learning about any cultures within that continent... But what you may not know is that I am a passionate Korean drama fan and am learning Korean! So... yeah I am always on the lookout for Korean culture YA reads and when i heard about Wicked Fox it made me so happy!

On top of the premise and Korean culture... take a look at that cover!! It's gorgeous! I love
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
Feb 22, 2018 marked it as on-the-radar
Shoutout to MY culture in YA.
Amy Risner
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-arcs, 2019-books

ARC provided by Penguin Teen in exchange for an honest review.

When I learned I was going to be on this blog tour, I may or may not have screamed. Wicked Fox was such an anticipated YA release of 2019 for me, and it did not disappoint!

This Korean-lore inspired tale of the gumiho (fox with nine tails) was so much fun to read, and I immediately fell in love with our two main stars: Miyoung and Jihoon.

Miyoung: A high school student who is half-gumiho and half-human. She must feed on the gi (or energ
Beatrice in Bookland
*I received a copy from Penguin Random House in exchange for an honest review*

"She’d read books that said two lovers’ hearts could race as one. This wasn’t true for Miyoung. Her heart chased Jihoon’s, speeding in a breakneck sprint to catch up."

4.5

Well, wow. This book swept me off my feet. I was scared I wasn’t going to like it because my expectations were sky high, but I loved it.

I loved how we start off thinking we know everything about the two protagonists and the villain but, by the end of t
Alexa
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Had so much fun reading this one! I so rarely indulge in urban fantasy/paranormal stories, but I had to take the plunge when I heard about this one that’s inspired by Korean culture. It’s fun, fast-paced and could totally be a Korean drama or an anime (and that’s the lens through which I read it, which somehow heightened my personal enjoyment). So curious to find out where the next book will take this series!
Tucker
Jan 27, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
After months and months of waiting.... WE FINALLY HAVE A COVER
Anja H.
Feb 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
I literally just got back from Seoul two weeks ago so now I NEED THIS EVEN MORE!!
This is screaming my name!
Kelsea
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
*SCREAMS FOR DAYS*

Okay, I realize that could be interpreted as a good or bad thing, but in this case it is a good thing. A REALLY GOOD THING. The kind of happy scream that means all of those excited inner squeals are finally bursting forth in one incoherent noise of excitement because YOU’VE JUST FOUND A NEW FAVORITE BOOK.

Look, I’m always on the prowl for diverse and own voices stories, but as much as I want to love every single one of them, they’re books like any other. Some are disappointing,
Fari
Rating: 3.5

Thank you so much to Penguin Canada for the ARC~~

During my two-year-long reading slump, I got very, very much into K-pop and learned a bit about Korean culture. However, I realized when I came across this novel, I don’t think I’ve actually ever read anything that takes place in Korea. What better way to change that than with a story about a gumiho?

I loved how prominent the setting and culture was in this book. Seoul came alive around you as they flitted from Han River to Namsan.

It wa
The Immortal Bibl...: Wicked Fox (July 2019) 5 49 Jul 04, 2019 06:54AM
Our favourites in July! 1 1 Jun 16, 2019 08:47PM
Remove duplicate page 1 4 Dec 20, 2018 06:44AM
Possible Duplicate edition 1 5 Nov 27, 2018 12:25PM

• Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Seven Deadly Shadows
  • There Will Come a Darkness (Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Incendiary
Kat Cho used to hide books under the bathroom sink and then sneak in there to read after bedtime. Her parents pretended not to know. This helped when she decided to write a dinosaur time-travel novel at the tender age of nine. Sadly, that book was not published. She currently lives and works in NYC and spends her free time trying to figure out what kind of puppy to adopt. Kat's YA contemporary fan ...more

Gumiho (2 books)
  • Untitled (Gumiho, #2)
“Night and darkness made a believer of everyone.” 3 likes
“She’d read books that said two lovers’ hearts could race as one. This wasn’t true for Miyoung. Her heart chased Jihoon’s, speeding in a breakneck sprint to catch up.” 2 likes