Start by marking “The Killer's Tears” as Want to Read:
The Killer's Tears

The Killer's Tears

Angel Allegria arrives at the Poloverdos’ farmhouse. He kills the farmer and his wife, but he spares their child, Paolo. Together the killer and the boy begin a new life on this remote and rugged stretch of land in Chile.

On the afternoon when Angel Allegria arrives at the Poloverdos’ farmhouse, he kills the farmer and his wife. But he spares their child, Paolo – a young
Published May 8th 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Killer's Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killer's Tears

Start your review of The Killer's Tears
Diana Welsch
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This has been on my list for years. I wish I hadn't waited to read it! Uh, wow.

Paolo Polvodero, a child of indistinct age, lives with his parents in a small house at the very tip of Chile. It's a life of wind and rain on their sparse farm. Then a hardened criminal, Angel Allegria, makes his way there, decides he lives there now, and stabs Paolo's parents to death. He does not wish to harm Paolo, so they live together in an uneasy partnership. Soon, another traveler comes by, Luis, the son of a
Tess
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-owned, ya
Angel is a wanderer and killer who murders Paulo's parents and suddenly leaves him an orphan. Angel who never felt the love and affection from his own parents finds heart in a 10 year old boy and a reason for living.

The killer regrets his wrongdoing when he deprives Paulo of a mother's warmth, the comfort of safe home and exposing him to violence. So he decides to leave Paulo secretly through the care of an old lumberjack named Ricardo.

However, the situation doesn’t turn out as planned.

Ricardo
♥ Susan
Very mixed feelings about this book - both loved and hated it. This is a sign of a powerful story, however. This story challenges all readers' beliefs in morality and universal justice, as well as Stockholm syndrome and of course: the death penalty.
Katie Lawrence
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adults
I think everyone should read this book, hands down. Read for Young Adult Literature class. Annotation: Who do you become if you are raised by the man that murdered your parents? Through travel, trials and love Paolo will discover his answer.
Larakaa
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the German edition published by Schreiber + Leser.
A hard and sober story, full of truth and sadness, without pathos. The big pictures and few text makes it something to be read incredibly fast or in slow. The raw and less detailed artwork support the experience of a memory, something distant, more connected to feeling than to fact.
Velvet_Fox16
✧Hessa✧
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feels, river-of-tears
"Do you remember?" he whispered at last. "When we lived in your house, I asked you to remember what day you were born?"
Paolo nodded. He remembered everything, each moment, each leg of their journey, vividly.
"You answered me it was the day I arrived," Angel went on.
...
"Do you remember, Paolo?" Angel shouted, his feet slipping on the tiles.
"Yes!" Paolo shouted.
Angel was crying.
"Well, me too!" the murderer yelled. "Me too, I was born that day! I was born the day I saw you! Do you understand,
Denice Guillot
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. Horrifyingly satisfying. Powerful. Most books don’t make me shed a tear, but The Killer’s Tears by Anne-Laure Bondoux definitely did. This book is by far one of my favorites. It is unlike any book. The main character Paolo lives in a secluded hut in Southern Chile. He lives with his mama and papa. Life for him is tranquil. The only time it isn’t is when a hiker or geologist comes by to admire the surroundings of the hut and the hut itself. But one day a visitor came who was neither ...more
Sylvia
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
"You answered me it was the day I arrived," Angel went on.
...
"Do you remember, Paolo?" Angel shouted, his feet slipping on the tiles.
"Yes!" Paolo shouted.
Angel was crying.
Kaci
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was so well written, it is hard to describe the feeling of it and what makes it great, but it is. It is a simple story told in a simple manner, but every so often you get a glimpse into the heart of the characters, into their true souls. The lumberjack introduces the concept of "metamorphosis" to Angel and Paolo and I think that is the theme of the book, the ability for people to change, to be something different, something better. For Paolo, it is realizing what he is missing and ...more
Daan
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
very emotional book. Loved the writing style. Normally, I don't like this genre but this book is an exception. I would definitely recommend it!
Lyo
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book on the advice of my librarian, who is a reader of fantasy for and a fan of Bottero's.

This book was a discovery.
It alternates dramatic descriptions of soulscapes in Chili with nude descriptions of raw characters, unleashing the nature of men with an acute sense of beauty in a harsh and lonely land at the very end of the world. The story, the characters took my being as a stormy ocean would a barque and racked it with the unrelenting truths of life and the universe.

It may seem
Kody Kramer
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
“The Killers Tears” is a fiction with a theme of giving people chances to give their side of the story and some things just have to be told with no sugar coating.

The author Anne-Laure Bondoux brings the main character’s Paolo and Angel life by bringing the deep description of their environment in Chile. The two go on an adventure through Chile trying to find a killer that has been going to their small village. On his trip, he meets Luis an elder and he helps Paolo find something in himself he
Margit Wilke
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this cute booklet in between the bigger (more depressing) novels I've been trying to digest these days. The narrative is nice, the protagonist is easy to relate to and the themes of guilt, love and decision-making are powerful. There's some nicely written one liners in there. For a children's book, which I think this is (the other book by Bondoux I've read about a sea captain was amazing), I feel like this is worthy to read for children around the age of 6-9. And it's definitely worth ...more
Judy
I bought this years ago for the beautiful Armin Greder cover illustration. I have postponed reading it because I thought it might be... wonderful but emotionally challenging...

It has lived up to expectations, and yet was not what I was expecting. I think I was expecting a gritty, brutally realistic style. But it has a slight hint of magical realism and a melodic fairy tale rhythm. It's brutal in the way that fairy tales are brutal, but it has that same slightly detached quality of a fairy tale
Fatima Jihad
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a wonderful book, such a small pleasure... and it all came to a sentence, when the place of Paulo becomes the place where everything meets in spite of the blood, sorrow and pain... all these cities and names, feelings and memories it all comes to this piece of earth, which once he thought was nothing but a hold.
A great ending.
Vanessa Reyes
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a very good book!

I honestly don’t like reading but this book is so interesting and emotional...you should really read it..tbh it made me cry! I can’t even explain how good it is
Kyla
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,68stars, to be precise.

Read this in French for school, and it was pretty good compared to the other books we have to go through. Really deep and touching at times, so yes, it deserves a good 3,68 stars, maybe more.
Cordial Wendigo
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved the book in it's entirety but the ending had me rushing with emotions of twisted joy. I don't read books frequently because of my limited budget, but thanks to my school's library I was able to find this gem of a book within its shelves. Anne-Laure Bondoux just became my favorite author.
Qingyang
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
Proud that I finished a French book.
Since I read it snail-pace, I could actually pick up motifs and topics for discussion about human nature. It actually proved to be helpful for philosophy as well as French.
READING4Me
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reads
3.5 Stars - A diverse lyrical read.
Jen
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! A lovely gem of a book.
WF
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfectly written story.
Laynee Harding
Easy to follow and very interesting story line.
Andrea
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
December, 2019 4.5
Dan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A very nice tale that falls apart a bit towards the end.
Barbara V. Vaughan
Characters well developed

This book turned murder into a life altering events for Paolo. Happiness and sadness filled the child who eventually learned how to live at peace with changes as a man.
Caren
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
This book , by the author of the 2011 Batchelder Award winner, was itself a 2007 Batchelder Honor book. (The Batchelder Award is given for a children's book first published in another country in a language other than English, then later translated and published in the USA.) The book, first published in French, also won France's Prix Sorcieres, a literary prize given for children's literature first published in French or translated into French (and so, not necessarily work only of French ...more
Savanna Marquez
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brief synopsis.
This book is about a boy named Paolo Poloverdos who lives with his family in the rugged south end of Chile. And sometimes people pass thru looking for a place to stay and most of leave in the morning. But on one day a man named Angel came in and kills his family and but spares him. So they live together than a man named Luis Secunda comes to live where they live on their land. But they won’t last them until they get more food and last live stock.
Why you chose the book?

• بريد الليل
  • Os Livros Que Devoraram o Meu Pai
  • The Little Girl and the Cigarette
  • مخطوطات مدفونة
  • Más liviano que el aire
  • I'll Steal You Away
  • Le troisième mensonge
  • Sakız Sardunya
  • Mendel el de los libros
  • Earth and Ashes
  • تمر الأصابع
  • The Two Deaths of Quincas Wateryell
  • راوية الأفلام
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • Les quatre saisons de l'été
Anne-Laure Bondoux has received numerous literary prizes in her native France. Among her previous books published by Delacorte Press is The Killer’s Tears, which received the prestigious Prix Sorcières in France and was a Mildred L. Batchelder Honor Book in the United States.
“By dint of waiting, he hoped his heart would wear out and stop beating. What other way was there to stop loving someone?” 31 likes
“If there was one thing that life has taught me, it’s to accept the most foolish and unthinkable happiness.” 18 likes