Start by marking “Reproductive Injustice: Racism, Pregnancy, and Premature Birth” as Want to Read:
Reproductive Injustice: Racism, Pregnancy, and Premature Birth

Reproductive Injustice: Racism, Pregnancy, and Premature Birth

Finalist, 2020 PROSE Award in the Sociology, Anthropology and Criminology category, given by the Association of American Publishers

A troubling study of the role that medical racism plays in the lives of black women who have given birth to premature and low birth weight infants

Black women have higher rates of premature birth than other women in America. This cannot be
Published June 25th 2019 by New York University Press

To ask other readers questions about Reproductive Injustice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reproductive Injustice

Start your review of Reproductive Injustice: Racism, Pregnancy, and Premature Birth
Kent Adams
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-school-2020
So important and enlightening. A great look at medical racism and obstetric violence -- I highly recommend !!
Kat Ayres
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

What to say about this book? Let me just say that while I considered myself at least somewhat aware of some of these issues, I was not prepared for the heartache I would feel reading this. We have so far to go as a country. So far.
Colleen Chung
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More than any contemporary piece on reproductive issues, I think this text really drives it home that it’s not about class or level of affluence that fuels Black women's disproportionate rate of pregnancy-related deaths compared to white women. It’s about racism from a historically white-dominated, anti-black institution that has always viewed Black women as “intellectually inept, menacing, and generally incapable of mothering” since the time of their enslavement. The resulting neglect, misdiagn ...more
Caralyn
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was essential in understanding Black premature births in America. Using the Black Mothers’ perspective in combination with a framework that seeks to understand medical racism in the context of the afterlife of slavery, this book provides a much needed quantitative and qualitative analysis of racialized birth. What really stuck out to me was the emphasis placed on how economic status was an insufficient explanation of the high rates of premature birth rates in Black women, which further ...more
Saira
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Used this book for my intro to medical anthropology class. The author came to my campus for a book conversation and talk. My students enjoyed speaking to her, the advice she gave, and reading this book.
Sally Kenney
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I learned a lot from this book, particularly about the history of the March of Dimes and race. Much of the other information I already knew. The accounts of medical professionals'--doctors and nurses--dismissiveness and retaliation is horrifying, but not unfamiliar.
Cristie Underwood
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is a book that everyone needs to read, as it is well-researched and gives in-depth information on an issue that many of us think that we know about. Trust me, you don't know half the story. I was shocked at some of the information that was presented. It breaks my heart to know that so many women are treated so unjustly. We need to do better as a Country and reading this book and becoming familiar with this issue is an excellent first step.
Gabriel
Zoe Hypatia
Jul 20, 2020
Jul 27, 2020

• Are Prisons Obsolete?
  • Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Holy Wild
  • How to Get a Girl Pregnant
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches