Start by marking “Differently Morphous” as Want to Read:
Differently Morphous

Differently Morphous

Differently Morphous is the latest and greatest tale to emerge from the mind of writer Yahtzee Croshaw (Mogworld, Jam, Will Save the Galaxy for Food).

A magical serial killer is on the loose, and gelatinous, otherworldly creatures are infesting the English countryside. Which is making life for the Ministry of Occultism difficult, because magic is supposed to be their best
Published April 2nd 2019 by Dark Horse Books (first published March 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Differently Morphous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Differently Morphous

Start your review of Differently Morphous
Carl
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Yahtzee's books. They have their issues (and they all have pretty much the same issues over and over again), but I never find them boring. If you've enjoyed his other books you'll like this one.

Oddly enough, this is probably simultaneously both his best and worst book to date.

I say it's his best because it shows the most progression in his writing style. All his books have the same three female characters: the Socially-Awkward-But-Friendly-Normal-Girl, the Oblivious-Airhead and
Sinisa Mikasinovic
I got exactly what I expected from this book. It was glorious!

Beautiful English humor and an overdose of sarcasm. It's very Yahtzee. If you've read any of his works before you'll know exactly what to expect.

When the Ministry of Occultism cannot work in shadows anymore and keep the existence of magic under wraps, the public eye turns to them and follows each supernatural event with particular scrutiny.

New forms of life, gelatinous goo-like, harmless-looking creatures, called Fluidics, start
Wing Kee
A quirky weird tale that suffers from minor plotting issues.

World: The world building is solid, its well built and thought out and there is no info dumping at. Readers learn this world from multiple characters making the world fairly alive and real without the need to explain it. The stage is set and the internal logic for the magic system is thought out well. Its a fun world where more stories would interest me in the future.

Story: The story starts strong and chugs a little until picking up
Tony
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stopped just over half way through. Couldn't stomach it any longer.
Arjen
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another book about magical children, going to a special school for special magical treatment (Harry Potter). Yet another book about some private detective who uses magic to solve cases (Harry Dresden).

I almost threw the book to the other side of the room, but since I was using my ereader I decided against that.

And I'm glad I wasn't controlled by my impulses, because this book kicks off hard and fast and doesn't look back. To create a world that shares so many elements with other famous books
Will
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only thing I didn't like, is I wanted it to go on for 10 more chapters.

Yahtzee Croshaw achieves the remarkable feat of developing a plot and characters dripping with sarcasm and satire while simultaneously writing an mystery arc that kept me guessing and reguessing to the final chapters.

The characters are often caricatures and mirrors of the extremes in personality we see every day, particularly online. That said, they still remain remarkably engaging almost believable and act in a way that
Bram
In need for a light, entertaining audiobook for a long drive, I came across Differently Morphous when browsing Audible's recommendations. I've known Yahtzee Croshaw for years now through is work as a gamereviewer for The Escapist, which I find highly entertaining. So it didn't take much to convince me to pick this up. I was not dissapointed.

Story

It took me a while to figure out where the story was going, due there being a lot of time spent on the world building and character introductions, but
Lauraloves
I brought this book on audible as it was the daily deal a couple of weeks ago and I thought that it would be the sort of book that would really appeal to me. I do enjoy magical/young adult type books however for me it wasnt as good as I was expecting.

I really struggled to get into the plot of this and I got a little bit confused with the different characters. I think the main issue for me is that it isnt a book that is to be taken too seriously and for me I struggle with the writing style and
Matthew
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Differently Mourphous to be Yahtzee's best work yet, barely edging out his previous work Will Save the Galaxy for Food. Taking the idea of magic and Lovecraftian horrors and pitting them against the terror that is modern bureaucracy and social media is a great concept, and one that lends itself well to Yahtzee's humor and writing style. The colorful cast of characters played off one another quite well, and their motivations were crafted well enough to keep you engaged in the search for ...more
Michael Campbell
Differently Morphous is a textbook example of a semi talented author, biting off more than they can chew. Yahtzee is undeniably funny, and I really enjoyed his book "Will Save the Galaxy for Food". It was a light and fun read, filled with reasonably clever wit.

This book has some of that, but it also tries to be more than it's capable of. The main theme here is PC Culture, and this novel handles the issue about as awkwardly and ineptly as one could imagine.

I love a bit of satire. It's probably
Drew
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Ive only read the first of the Hitchhikers Guide books, so I am admittedly no expert on Douglas Adamss work. Even so, I kept thinking that Yahtzee Croshaws Differently Morphous is, for me, similar to Adams in terms of sarcastic, absurd humor that genuinely makes me chuckle. (A better comparison might be to Terry Pratchett, but Ive only ever read Good Omens so Im not sure how representative it is of his work)

Differently Morphous, although funny and entertaining throughout, does straddle a fine
Kenneth Geary
Overall the story is entertaining but the political undertones are districting and also not really clear on which side he's gunning for (which I guess is a good thing?) but I feel like it brings you out of the story too much. Also including various social media networks by name which is going to date this book that could make it draw you out of the story even more in years to come. The characters were fun though and the ending left me with the right questions without making me feel like the ...more
Stacy GeekRemixALot
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
More articulate reviewers have detailed some of the possible issues one might have when reading this book, namely that it uses the "minority group are monsters" trope and attempts, sometimes clumsily, to critique what it perceives as annoyances with PC or social justice culture.

While I can totally understand why someone might not enjoy the book because of those factors (I highly recommend searching some reviews for some thoughts on both), I still enjoyed the story. Based on other reviews I
Wreade1872
That was really good. I was torn between a 4 and 5 but it ends with a setup for a sequel which determined me more towards a high 4 stars.
Its a supernatural horror/comedy with a quite compelling detective story too. I received the audio version as a gift, not really into audiobooks much but the author does a great job with it, lots of different voices etc.
Although there is a main character, there's also a large supporting cast all of them very memorable, the book feels quite dense, full of story
Lee  (the Book Butcher)
so this is what happens when a video game blogger from England attempts to write a novel. although you can tell Croshaw is a good writer. and he certainly did better than a Butcher from Georgia ever could. but this effort seem to be beyond the scope of his ability. the characters seemed more like stereotypes the real believable people. after a while you forget they have names and think of the as they are betrayed by the author. which reminds me the author narrates the book and does great. a real ...more
Rachel Noel
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the ebook version of this before I bought the audiobook. Since then, I've listened to the audiobook the full way through at least twice. That's how hilarious and well written the book is. I also love Croshaw's narration and his ability for voices is amazing. I'm very glad to have listened to the audio because otherwise I never would've known how to pronounce a lot of the character names.

This is a very well written story with interesting characters. Each person has their own take on the
Michael Burns
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you just assume my morphic state!?
Yahtzee Croshaw of internet fame is an author Ive had a complicated relationship with. I enjoy his works and they always at least make me laugh (the bare minimum for a comedy book) but they also always leave me wanting. They always make me stop somewhere in the middle and lose interest, only to come back later when my mood has shifted.

I suppose what Im saying is that his books never fully grab me like some do. Maybe thats an indictment of him, or the comedy
Matthew Fitzgerald
A fun, brisk, and funny little novel that I can recommend in audiobook form. Croshaw does a superb job giving voice (and various accents) to his characters, and while I'm sure reading the pomposity of Diablerie would be fun, hearing Crowshaw deliver it is even better. I really like his Yorkshire accents, too, and his voice for the fluidics is great. The bulk of my enjoyment of this book came from hearing it; on the page, I don't think I would have found it as engaging.

There's some fun
Ray Campbell
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This is a very funny book. When gelatinous creatures appear in the English countryside asking for asylum, politically correct Brits make them a protected class of sentient being. As the Ministry of Occultism snaps into action, a serial killer chooses the nations newest immigrant group as a target. Our heroin is a teenage Ministry recruit who teams up with the a quirky magician/agent who provides comic relief as this magical mystery unfolds.

I've read a few reviews that lament the lack of laugh
Jason Parent
This audio book was entertaining but failed to match the grandeur of the first audio book by Mr. Croshaw I tried, Will Save the Galaxy for Food. While that sci-fi tale was a witty and sardonic look at space opera and the cliche of a hero, Differently Morphous was somewhat lacking.

It starts out promising, with a rather scathing satire of the Facebook-meme, ultra-PC climate in which we live and the blame-first, ask-questions-later mentality of social media. This amounts to some humorous banter and
Alison
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was originally recommended this book based on my love of Terry Pratchett, and with that initial expectation I was a bit disappointed. No one, it seems, can equal Pratchetts whimsical turn of phrase.

But, after setting aside my preconceptions and accepting the original creation of this savage critic (the author is a well-known video game reviewer feared for his caustic wit) for what it was, I really enjoyed it. The characters are ridiculous, unique and well-established. The world is very well
Mary Lee
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is unlike most of the science fiction I've read. It contains humor, much of which is excellent, and as such is somewhat reminiscent of Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett. Spoilers ahead.... (view spoiler) ...more
Jeroen Huylebroeck
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
I absolutely liked the writing style and the audiobook performance by Yahtzee Croshaw. Loads of funny interludes and banter in a modern style.

The story and plot in itself are not that super special however and start to run out of steam about 2/3-3/4 of the book. I think the very last chapter tries to add something cliffhangery, but I don't really get the idea, except for an opening for a future book in the series.

All in all a highly enjoyable read (listen) but not the culmination of writing
Lloyd
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first it felt like it would satisfy a Harry Potter hankering, but Differently ended up being differently satisfying by being an absurd specialty wizarding adventure combined with over the top commentary on race, political correctness, bureaucracy and some on youth and social media and gaming. I like that the story gives you the option to think if you want to or ignore or reject the either-extreme politics.

I would have enjoyed the focus to stay on the apparently demented magician.

The author is
Tam G
The audiobook performance definitely raises this one into the 4 star range for me. I've read bits and pieces of Croshaw's other work and he's more than usually on point here. Great characters. Humorous metaphors. Silly situations. Satirizing politics/political correctness without favoring or destroying one POV. Loses steam at the denouement but a fun read.

Reads a bit like Jasper Fforde's take on The Laundry Files series. Definitely get the audiobook read by the author.
Jen
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unexpectedly hilarious.

Picked this up cheap on audible without really reading the synopsis - glad I did as it proved to be really entertaining, great surprise.

Parody of both the 'magic school' genre & modern life, with an emphasis on the latter
Claudiu
More a 3.5 star than a 3, but I'll round down. The pace is kinda plodding at times and the plot lacks urgency.
But Yahtzee really, really know how to write convincing dialogue.
Pam
I mostly enjoyed this book. I found my attention wandering several times while listening to the audio. Sometimes I tried to back it up to the part that lost me, only to have it happen again. Sometimes I didn't even bother and just kept going. I think this has something to do with the pacing of the story. I found the characters to be amusing and the story interesting enough to keep me wanting to know who the killer was. The political correctness theme was a bit tedious, as it can be in real life. ...more
Keary Birch
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Fun book. Very The Laundry with a little more pace and less internal consistency. Worth a read. Although I think the author needs to keep a bit more of a tight rein on the story with maybe a touch more exposition, otherwise they do have a tendency to lose grip on the story itself.

Worth the time and I will at a later date look up some more of their work.

Recommended.
Eric Allen
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is probably my favorite book by this author. It takes his brand of humor and sarcasm, and all of the best things from his other books and puts them into a ridiculous story that both emphasizes the need for political correctness, and how ridiculous it can be when taken too far.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Second Hand Curses
  • The Vexed Generation (Magic 2.0 #6)
  • Terminus (Threshold, #4)
  • Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection (Andrea Vernon, #1)
  • The Case of the Damaged Detective (5-Minute Sherlock, #1)
  • #1 in Customer Service The Complete Adventures of Tom Stranger (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #3)
  • Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
  • The Singularity Trap
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)
  • Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours
  • Alexander X (Battle For Forever Book 1)
  • The Sidekicks Initiative: A Comedy Superhero Adventure (Sidekicks Initiative, #1)
  • You're Going to Mars!
  • Agent to the Stars
  • The Dispatcher
  • Junkyard Cats
  • Siege Tactics (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #4)
Benjamin Richard "Yahtzee" Croshaw is an English comedic writer, video game journalist and author of adventure games created using Adventure Game Studio software. He writes articles for Australia's Hyper magazine, a major games publication. He uses his website "Fully Ramblomatic" as an outlet for his own work, including weekly dark humour articles, essays, fiction, and webcomics. He is currently ...more