Start by marking “O Josephine!” as Want to Read:
O Josephine!

O Josephine!

Jason has caught the hiking bug and decides to walk the Wicklow Way, where he encounters more sheep than he had bargained for. Leonard Cohen's storied life has been well archived, but never with so many Jason-esque liberties taken. (Did you know he beat Fidel Castro in chess? Learned the Heimlich from Frederico Garcia Lorca?) Two detectives are on a mysterious stakeout, ...more
Published June 4th 2019 by Fantagraphics

To ask other readers questions about O Josephine!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Josephine!

Start your review of O Josephine!
Sam Quixote
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2019
Four shorts make up Jason’s latest book, O Josephine!, most of which I really enjoyed.

The Wicklow Way is a kind of companion piece to his last book, On the Camino, where Jason this time hikes the titular walk in Ireland. As a fellow hiker, I found myself relating to a lot of the scenes: the relief at seeing a sign telling you you’re on the right path (it IS like hi-fiving a friend!) and the sinking terror of realising you’ve been walking for miles in the wrong direction!

One of my criticisms of
David Schaafsma
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-short-stories
O Josephine is the latest collection of short stories by the Norwegian Comics master Jason.

From the bio page:

”Under the North Sky will be born a man who willl tell strange tales in words and images. He will be known by one name where he goes and confusion will rule the land”—Nostradamus

A new book by Jason should be attended by the honking of horns and odd references to old movies and sixties pop music and silly jokes. Because that is what he is into. And he’s into exploring the possibilities of
Jon Nakapalau
Wander with Jason as he takes you places that seem familiar - until you look a little closer and take the time to 'marinate' in what he is cooking up!
Jeff
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of simple complication
Shelves: comics
I think i will probably always like Jason's books. There's just something right about them to me, even the allegedly nothing stories like "The Wicklow Way." I often really like writers who create things i wish i could've created but nothing by Jason is remotely familiar to me and still i'm drawn to them. Either i "get" him or he "gets" me. That's why i will look at and listen to his plain narrative of another long, solo excursion.

Of the stories in this collection, "The Diamonds" is my favorite.
Michael
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
While maybe not one of Jason's better works, this short story collection remains a solid addition to his catalog.

The opener, featuring Jason himself walking the Wicklow Way is another wry, dry Jason winner. "L. Cohen: A Life" might've been better (or worse) if I knew anything about Cohen, but I still appreciated its parody and cultural absurdity. "The Diamonds" is another experiment in genre storytelling, cutting away just too much of the story to be clear, allowing readers to make their own
Adam Stone
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I used to love Jason's work. Whether it was the charmingly plotted I Killed Adolf Hitler, or the work collected in Almost Silent, I spent years enamored with the philosophical and intriguing characters he wrote about it. I still enjoy his use of cartoon animals in place of people, but his recent work hasn't engaged me.

I was excited to check out this book, but the first story, "The Wicklow Way" is about a Norwegain tourist (presumably Jason, himself) following one of Ireland's most famous walking
Davina
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
At first I wasn't sure what to make of this strange little collection of stories, but the more I let go of narrative expectations, I really appreciated Jason's minimalist style and offbeat sense of humor. "L. Cohen: A Life" was my personal favorite.
Tom
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The artwork is the usual Jason, but the stories are a bit meh except for the one about Leonard Cohen.
Christopher
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jason's O Josephine! is an odd, surreal collection of stories. They are quirky and fun, though a couple rely heavily on a mixture of absurdity and gallow's humor, which may not be to everyone's taste.

The first story comes across as somewhat autobiographical, but I can't really say. It's about someone taking a long walk in Ireland. It had its funny and odd moments.

The second is a surreal biography of Leonard Cohen with a funny mixture of true and false facts about his life.

The third is twisty.

The
Geoff Sebesta
Sep 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
What the **** is this ****
Frank
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection of stories was an enjoyable read - as I’ve liked Jason’s work and enjoy his ability to use simplicity to create an emotional tone in his stories.

The stories seem to move from a fairly straight-forward travelogue to more abstract stories where there is a lot that the reader has to fill in between panels. Sometimes those gaps are narrow - but often they are very wide and you have to really exercise creativity to bridge what may or may not be missing.

This is probably what I like
Frank
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
As usual, Jason's works are perfectly brief. Not too long to be drawn out but not too short to leave you wanting. His use of historical figures is always wonderful and absurd ( Napoleon Bonaparte and Josephine Baker here). His first story about walking the Wicklow Way in Ireland makes me want to return to the country. Honestly, probably the best comic I've read this year outside of Michael DeForge's work.
Bill
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Strange and weirdly (but only slightly) affecting stories told with blank-eyed, flat featured animal faced characters. It was difficult to keep the characters straight at times and the stories don’t really tell stories but provide glimpses (sometimes intimate) into the characters’ lives, which allows the reader to see, understand, maybe even feel their emotions even if he or she doesn’t really care much about those same characters.
Brenna Sydel
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Look, I don't just have a Jason tattoo on my clavicle because I like zombies. I have the tattoo because I love Jason's work and this book is no exception. 4 stories, each unique, each strong, each fun and wonderfully and simply and distinctly drawn. Jason kills it as he always does.
Emily
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite graphic novelists; I always get a little thrill when I see a new book by Jason on the shelf. I was going to savor this book, but I devoured it all on a recent flight. His stories are consistently funny, winsome, cool, and stylish.
Enno
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Just when I thought I knew what to expect, after reading Santiago, this book surprises and confuses me. The Ireland trip is okay, the Cohen biography is strange, the Napoleon story just plain weird.
Nick Van
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb! A companion piece to Camino, a subversive biography of Leonard Cohen, a jumbled love affair between Napoleon and Josephine Baker — it’s all Jason at his simplest, confounding finest.
Emerson
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I started off with mixed feelings on this one but the last section more than made up for it.
Nate
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jason is a genius.
Matthew Archibald
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Maybe I'm overworked and my brain is a bit fuzzy, but I mostly didn't get it.
subbacultcha
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
i looved the first two shorts. the last two were kind of confusing like a fever dream but not unpleasant. i definitely want to read more of their work!
Jon Hewelt

• Frogcatchers
  • Bad Weekend
  • BTTM FDRS
  • Wie ich versuchte, ein guter Mensch zu sein
  • Is This How You See Me?
  • Leaving Richard's Valley
  • The Perineum Technique
  • November Volume I
  • Cannonball
  • Cannabis: The Illegalization of Weed in America
There are multiple authors with this single name, but Goodreads is unable to differentiate between them. The most prominent is the author below.

John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding