Start by marking “Full Count: The Education of a Pitcher” as Want to Read:
Full Count: The Education of a Pitcher

Full Count: The Education of a Pitcher

Met and Yankee All-Star pitcher David Cone shares lessons from the World Series and beyond in this essential memoir for baseball fans everywhere.
"There was a sense about him and an aura about him. Even when he was in trouble, he carried himself like a pitcher who said, 'I'm the man out here.' And he usually was." --Andy Pettitte on David Cone.

To any baseball fan, David
Published May 14th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Full Count, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Count

Start your review of Full Count: The Education of a Pitcher
Brig
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is literally fantastic. Don't skip this. It's up there with "Cubs Way" as one of the greatest books on baseball you'll ever read.

Part autobiography and part pitching lecture series. The stories shared strike a perfect ballance of fan interest and nostalgic chronicling. Any baseball fan would enjoy this book. Its hyper-smooth delivery is a major credit to both Cone and Curry, their editing team, etc., as it never waivered for a moment.
Michael G
Although Roger Angell’s “Innings: A Pitcher’s Story” about pitcher David Cone was entertaining, Cone and Curry’s “Full Count” deserves 4 stars for really educating the reader on the art of pitching. I’ve loved baseball my whole life, but learned much more about the game in this book than I’d ever imagined. For sure, it would help players who pick it up. And, yes, lots of fun stories, especially on the Yanks and Mets...
Taro
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball, owned, audio
From the late-1980s to early-1990s, David Cone was the de facto ace of the Mets pitching rotation loaded with great talents like Dwight Gooden, Frank Viola, Sid Fernandez, and Ron Darling. I fondly remember that Cone's explosive stuff and dynamic pitching style among such colorful pitching staff in part drew me into the Queens, not Bronx, side of New York baseball. To a Mets fan it was sad to see Cone getting embraced more by the "wrong" side with which he himself has eventually identified ...more
Danny Knobler
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great insight on pitching

Some books you just know you’re going to like. Between Jack Curry’s writing and David Cone’s ability to discuss and dissect pitching, this was always going to be a great book.

It doesn’t disappoint.
Barbara
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it, but you need to be a real baseball fan. There were just so many things relating to pitchers and others on the field that had never occurred to me.
Mr. Steve
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nf
I love David Cone and I enjoyed this book. True to the title, it does delve quite often into the intricacies of pitching. I skimmed over these parts. I also found the structure of the book mildly distracting - it was not chronological, so it would go from 1985 to 2001 to 1993 to 1987 to 1996 (for example), depending on the particular topic being addressed.

Overall, it is definitely a book worth reading - especially if you are a David Cone fan like me.
Don Heiman
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 2019 David Cone and coauthor Jack Curry book, “Full Count: the Education of a Pitcher” is amazing. It is a book that educates fans about the inner life of major league players who are driven to excel and make a mark. The pitch-by-pitch chapter about the sixth inning of game 3 of the 1996 World Series between the Yankees and Braves is reader-education at the highest level. Thank you David for allowing me to walk-in-your cleats! You have taught me well. (P)
Brina
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, baseball
It is halfway through the winter. My football team of choice has been out of the running for the past two weeks although it feels like much longer. This week baseball has been in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. A sign stealing scandal involving multiple teams has been brought to light, and three managers were fired in less than a week, as more punishments are sure to be forthcoming. Yet, with many teams holding their winter caravans and fan conventions this weekend, I find myself ...more
Bennett Sciacca
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever watched a Yankee game on the YES Network, then David Cone's baseball intelligence will come as no surprise to you. His wit and accumen translate seamlessly from the broadcast booth to this book, and the reader really feels like they're talking shop with Coney one on one the whole way through.

I enjoyed the general chronology of his career threaded in with various anecdotes and lessons. From setting the record straight on some of those crazy Mets years to recounting the magical
Patrick
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The single best baseball book I have ever read. Cone is brutally honest but not once harsh. He and Curry have crafted an incredible book of instruction on pitching and not once is it complicated or boring or too technical. It may very well be the one book on pitching I have waited years for but never knew I needed until after I started reading it. Such a gift to one who loves to read and loves baseball.
Dave
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most insightful book on pitching I've read. How to throw X's - on the corners and on the low and high ends of the strike zone; pitch sequencing; the grips needed for each pitch flavor; how to communicate with your catcher; what to do when your velocity drops in your 30s; working with the strike zone the ump is giving you; not tipping pitches; disguising signs; goading hitters into getting themselves out; staying confident in your arsenal, but showing the will to adapt when the game plan ...more
Alicia
“Full Count: The Education of a Pitcher” by David Cone and Jack Curry

A phenomenal and well written memoir about David Cone’s journey to become a Major League Baseball pitcher, something he desired since his youth. He takes the reader on his path from learning pitching from his father, how he learned and utilized three main pitches, as well as the challenges he had in developing and utilizing them effectively.

Cone takes us on his journey through the minor leagues to the major leagues. How each
Ken Heard
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bleacher Report ranked David Cone as the 20th best New York Yankees pitcher of all time, but I'd argue that at his prime, Cone may have been one of the top 20 pitchers of all time. He began with a less than stellar Kansas City team and then helped anchor the Toronto Blue Jays to its first World Series win in 1992. His years with the Yankees are the example of his prime and he went 8-3 in playoff games during his career. He was great in key games (See: Game 3, 1996 World Series vs. Atlanta).

So,
Mark Simon
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book does exactly what it sets out to do - gives you a look inside the brain of a major league pitcher in many different situations. It's an interesting psychological study in how a pitcher has insecurities in his job, just like you or I might in our jobs.

What's great is that David looks at a lot of the things that happened in his career (on and off the field) with the perspective of someone now considerably older and wiser. You get a description of the action and then his reaction to the
Meg
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fine book, especially because the audiobook was read by the author. I learned a lot about pitching despite the detailed descriptions that slowed the story down. However, there were too many “anatomies of an inning” where each individual pitch to each batter took pages and pages to describe. Too much, even for a fan like myself who watches over 100 baseball games a year. It is, perhaps, a microcosm of the problem baseball has at the moment - too long and slow. But it is clear that ...more
Sean O'Brien
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so, obviously I am a baseball fan. I’ve read quite a few baseball books over the years. I think my favorite is still “The Last Best League.” I did learn a lot about the inside game of baseball from Cone’s book. have always admired David Cone. In addition to being a smart, gifted pitcher, he is quite a talented communicator. Jack Curry, the co-writer, is someone I came to appreciate as a sports writer for The NY Times. I also happen to be a Yankee fan so it was interesting to hear about his ...more
Thomas Kelley
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First let me state a couple of things. First I am a diehard Yankees fan from the 1970's and second I debated giving this book a 4 star rating because of what I got from this book which I personally was a little disappointed with. I would consider this book a partial biography even though it does cover Mr. Cones career from he was first with Toronto, his time with the hard living Mets featuring Keith Hernandez and the boys on to the Yankees and eventually with the despised Boston Red Sox. When I ...more
Martin
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love David Cone as a person and player. This book is a great resource for pitching techniques and truly shows his analytical mind. There are choice anecdotes about his teammates and opponents to make it more interesting but his tabloid adventures get only a passing mention. This is an instructive rather than biographical book.
Fox
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, an interesting and insightful read, but lacks structure and brevity. The book is not chronological and the chapters could be randomized with little change in effect. Technical info about the world of pitching is touched on several times, but due to the unfocused nature of the book, it gets lost among the anecdotes and stories.
Christina Guarneri
I’m a lifelong Yankees fan so obviously I loved this book. But his time as a Yankee was only about half this book. What I loved about this book was that it didn’t go in chronological order, like most sports biographies do. He went in depth about situations and then told us about his examples/experiences. Great book.
David Bies
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific Read

-Loved the in depth view of baseball life that David Cone provides in this book
-Terrifically written, and would highly recommend to anybody who enjoys baseball
-Whether you play, coach or are just a fan of the game, I guarantee you will learn something new from this book
Daniel Nelson
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Cone and Jack Curry shine in this exposition on pitching in Major League Baseball. This book tackles the technical aspects and thinking of a baseball pitcher. Cone uses the backdrop of his career as an elite pitcher to breakdown the different aspects of pitching from the mental side to the physical act. This book was as delightful as it was instructive.
Gretchen
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A great mix of personal anecdotes from Cone's career and discussion of pitching as an art. I always loved Cone as a Yankee, and I was impressed with his knowledge and love of the game. It was really cool to hear his stories about the time he spent on the Yankees and the Mets. Also loved that he reads the audiobook.
Tom Stamper
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have followed Cone’s broadcasting career on the YES network his outlook on pitching is at times unconventional and yet compelling enough that it’s hard to refute. I think it was Paul O’Neill and Michael Kay in the booth one day and they were quoting Cone’s insistence that a 2-2 count is not an even count because you are only 1 strike away from a K and 2 balls away from a walk. True and even obvious the moment you hear it and it only took someone one hundred years to say it.

If you picked
Wyatt
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Honest, Engaging, Insightful

If you enjoyed David Cone's pitching career and you appreciate his analysis, insight, and humor during Yankees games now as an announcer, this book is everything you could want or expect.
Mark Bodenstein
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great view into the mind of a pitcher, with lots of good stories about his experiences. I’m a lifelong baseball fan, and I look at pitchers differently and with more insight now from having read this book.
Jim Savastio
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many of the baseball books I read can be enjoyed by non-baseball fans. This is bit more of a technical look at the art and science of pitching. As a Yankee fan and the father of a college pitcher I enjoyed reading this book.
Marty Monforte
In "Full Count: The Education of a Pitcher", David Cone discusses his career and his philosophy on pitching.

The book begins with his pitching performance in the 1995 playoffs against the Seatle Mariners. Cone had been acquired by the Yankees during the season from the Toronto Blue Jays. Cone was acquired to help the Yankees make the playoffs and advance in the playoffs. He pitched well against Seatle, but the Yankees lost to the Mariners in this decisive game 5.

Cone discusses his philosophy
Michael Stetz
Some good stories. Some good 80’s 90’s mlb names.
Phil
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great to get back into the pitching mindset...really enjoyed reading!

• Inside the Empire: The True Power Behind the New York Yankees
  • Chumps to Champs: How the Worst Yankee Teams in History Became the Torre-Era Dynasty
  • Mission 27
  • The MVP Machine: How Baseball's New Nonconformists Are Using Data to Build Better Players
  • K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches
  • 108 Stitches: Loose Threads, Ripping Yarns, and the Darndest Characters from My Time in the Game
  • Play Hungry: The Making of a Baseball Player
  • For the Good of the Game: The Inside Story of the Surprising and Dramatic Transformation of Major League Baseball
  • My Dad, Yogi: A Memoir of Family and Baseball
  • The Impeachers: The Trial of Andrew Johnson and the Dream of a Just Nation
  • Ballpark: Baseball in the American City
  • Power Ball: Anatomy of a Modern Baseball Game
  • Quarterback: Inside the Most Important Position in the National Football League
  • Astroball: The New Way to Win It All