Start by marking “Schooled” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  24,428 ratings  ·  2,723 reviews
Capricorn Anderson had never watched a television show before. He'd never tasted a pizza. He had never even heard of a wedgie. And he had never, in his wildest dreams, thought of living anywhere but Garland Farm commune with his hippie caretaker, Rain.
Capricorn (Cap for short) had lived every day of his life on Garland Farm growing fruits and vegetables. He was homeschoole
Published August 26th 2008 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published February 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Schooled, please sign up.
Samantha 4-7
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Priscilla King How not? Cap's elected class president because he's unpopular, but before he can find that out he becomes popular...and much more.

·  24,428 ratings  ·  2,723 reviews

Tami Lowe
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, teens
I loved this book! This boy, Cap (short for Capricorn) has all the perfect ideals we all think we have, but really don't, and he remains true to himself despite being the weirdest and most tortured kid in school. It's dramatic, and unrealistic, but has kind of awakened the hippie in me! I think I'll tye-dye shirts this week with the kids...
Lea
Nov 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, first off I'm a home schooled, so I was immediately mistrustful of this book. But Gordon Korman is one of favorite authors, so I gave it a try. It was insulting. It played off of every stereotype of homeschoolers! That we're social misfits who don't know anything and are really freaks who need to conform to the social standards and just go to school. Excuse me?
The main character of the book is Cap, who is a hippy who's been raised on a farm, homeschooled by his grandma, and has never watched
Kathryn
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Tyler
Shelves: middle-grade
4.5 STARS

I probably would never have picked this book up on my own. I have a bit of trepidation with books about homeschool--so far, I haven't been that comfortable with how homeschoolers are portrayed in various forms of media--and this one, with thirteen year old Capricorn Anderson being raised alone in a farm commune by his hippie grandmother, Rain, sounded like another book about some off-the-wall family that didn't represent at all what homeschool is like for most of us. But, my husband rea
Vanessa
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Alice Cai
Aug 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
Literally the stupidest douchiest characters I've ever read. All these people deserve to die. I remembered this book from my middle school library and I wanted to remember what the plot was. The story is depressing and stupid at the same time. I feel so horrible after reading this. It's so repulsive.

So the theme is that this kid Cap has been raised alone by his grandma for 13 years in this cult-like society secluded from civilization. Well it's not really a cult anymore because it's just Cap a
Hanah
I loved this book even though it wasn't what I was looking for.

I was looking for books with realistically-written modern homeschooled characters, and this one was recommended to me. Unfortunately, Capricorn Anderson is not a realistic modern homeschooler at all. This book takes the stereotype of homeschoolers as weirdo hippies and puts it on steroids. This kid has grown up on an abandoned commune with only his grandmother and no friends his own age at all, and he understands nothing about the mo
Boyd
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the more enjoyable books I've read in a while, and it's one I think Jr. High kids will love. I hope I can sell it to my secondary kids, becaues it's definitely worth reading and provides a great platform to discuss bullying, cruelty, cliques, and stereotyping. The only problem is that the narrative is centered on younger kids, so they may feel like it's too immature for them.

The only disturbing thing I found in the book was its heavy reliance on stereotypes: the cowardly nerd who
Shivantika
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So my teacher read this aloud.
At the beginning, it was kinda boring. Everyone felt like falling asleep. Then, it actually got quite a bit better! Especially when Cap was driving the bus, that's when the fun started!
Pretty great, I would definitely reccomend.
CH13_Meghan Schultz
I truly enjoy reading Korman's books, especially titles such as: "No More Dead Dogs," "Swindle," "Son of the Mob," and "Born to Rock." "Schooled" was just as excellent and definitely fit the bill of a 5-star Gordon Korman book!

"Schooled" introduces readers to an extremely sheltered 13-year-old boy, Cap. When the story begins, Cap and his grandmother, Rain, live on an isolated farm commune where they live an alternate lifestyle. Cap is not sent to school, he does not watch TV, and he definitely
Luke c
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Schooled
Schooled is a very good book for people that just transferred a new school because of any reason. But just to have a heads up the book starts off with a different person every chapter so you get every ones perspective. This book is about a kid named Capricorn Anderson also known as cap. He lives with his grandma in community for hippies. One day his grandma falls out of a tree and brakes her back, so cap has to go and live with someone else and go to school until his grandma gets well.
Jessica
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I love Gordon Korman. This book is a true, extreme fish-out-of-water tale of Capricorn Anderson, raised on a commune by his hippie grandmother, where he is homeschooled and, really, indoctrinated. When Rain (his grandmother) is injured, Cap spends six weeks at a publich middle school, where he is immediately elected class president-- a dubious honor always given to the biggest loser. But as Cap, who has never used a phone or handled money before in his life, struggles to learn the ropes, the peo ...more
Venkat Satya
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! it is an awesome book about a hippie named Capricorn(or Cap) who is homeschooled by his grandma, Rain.It has self love, respect for self and other, family values, thinking of others, looking deeper than the surface, and never giving up.I had never read any of Gordon Korman's books until now, and I look forward to some more excellent and creative works that reflect how people effect each other. This book will appeal to both boys and girls, I think.Great book!
Aila
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I suddenly remembered this book and how much I liked it back in middle school. So, here's a rating from 2009 Aila. :P
Kaylin
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing book about a kid who was stuck in the 80's and comes to reality when he leaves Garland farm and goes to middle school.
Jayden A
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book it has different perspectives and it is kinda like wonder
Domi103
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gordan Korman has brilliantly brought to life an unlikely hero in this book about a young man who enters school for the first time in his life. He has been raised by his grandmother, a leftover hippi with definite ideas about right and wrong, and homeschooled on a ranch in the middle of nowhere. He brings the story to life by engaging opposites characters to throw life into a pendulum of good/bad outcomes. I thought the story was charming, touching and thought-provoking. He is a "stargi...more G ...more
Jonathan Da-silva
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No matter where your from,or who you are,always stay true to yourself. People will like you for who you are on the inside. Schooled is a book about a teenage boy named Capricorn Anderson who doesn't know very much about the outside world. He lives with his grandmother hundreds of miles away from the nearest city! But when his granny has a little mishap and he has to live in the city and go to a local public school,he is gonna have to face the real world and the new things from it. How will he la ...more
Michelle
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages ten and up
Capricorn has had a sheltered childhood growing up on an isolated old farm commune with his hippie grandmother. When she is injured and cannot care for him for two months he is forced to enter the real world and attend middle school in town. At first all the kids treat "Cap" terribly because he is so different. He is easily confused by the strange, foreign environment of middle school! His innocent, kind and peace-loving nature help him to acclimate and eventually even win the kids over. It was ...more
Shannah Abringe
This has been one interesting book to read. Its very unique. I love how each chapter someone speaks whats on their mind, not just one person saying the whole book. Although it kept me confused at times but overall it was a pretty good book. Capri Anderson has been homeschooled ever since he was 13 until his grandma Rain falls out the tree. He is currently staying with Mrs. Donelly and her daughter Sophie. He has never been to a public school so it might be a little awkward for him. Now he has en ...more
Jaymie
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this with the 6th grade book group. I really enjoyed it and instead of breaking it up into 4 separate weeks to discuss just read in the first sitting. Shhh!!!
Sheila Beaumont
I enjoyed this full-cast audiobook reading, after having read the print edition about a year ago.

Sheila Beaumont
Capricorn Anderson has been homeschooled by his hippie grandmother, Rain, who seems to still be living back in the '60s, on a commune whose population has dwindled down to just the two of them. When Rain is injured, Cap must attend a public middle school, but he is not remotely prepared for life in the 21st century, as he has never seen a TV or a cell phone. In fact, there is no telephone at all on the commune. And he has never handled money.

Cap is definitely a fish out of water in a hostile env
Duaa
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this book was super cute, i read it in one sitting,, although there were so many different characters taking roles in the book but i wasn't lost, because the writing was so straightforward which i tend to appreciate more now.
Cap was awesome, I'm not ashamed to say that i've learnt a lot from a 13 year old fictional character about how to stay true to yourself no matter what and how to balance between your mind, body and soul
And above all how to be kind to others.
I still have mixed feelings ab
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This is one of the funniest, most heartfelt books I have ever read, and I read it at age ten.

Schooled follows a boy named Cap who moves from his peaceful life as a hippie to public school.

I loved the life lessons presented here. This is a book about being yourself despite the thoughts of those around you. It’s a book about how many people will like you if you act like yourself, but not necessarilly all. It’s a book about the good in people.

The multiple points of view really helped this book.
Olivia
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Susanna
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Capricorn Anderson was a homeschooled hippie teenager living with his grandmother... Until she had to take a long surgery. The result? He would have to go to a public school filled with kids trying to torment him.Of course, on the other hand, Cap Anderson is actually a pretty smart kid... Read this hilarious book filled with friends, bullies, mistakes, and more! Although this book is a tad bit unrealistic, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Personally, I would recommend this book to kids ages ten through ...more
Kathy
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-book-club

A cute and funny story. Really well written. Each chapter is told from different characters' viewpoints. The main character, Cap (short for Capricorn), has been raised in isolation on a commune with his grandmother, a '60s hippies. When she breaks her hip and has to go to a hospital for 6 weeks, Cap has to go into foster care and attend public middle school. He is a target for bullies, but he perseveres and becomes the most popular kid at school because of his honesty and unique outlook on life.
Julie
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it was a quick read. I also liked that each chapter came from another character's perspective. That style brought all of the characters, good and bad, into the reader's sympathy and perspective.
Ginger
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute, heartwarming and funny story! We read it aloud together as a family and we all loved it.
Suzie
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been looking for a book like this for almost a year but have come up empty until reading “schooled”. Sweet, innocent and funny- great for the soul.
Four and a half Stars 1 3 Mar 21, 2019 11:13AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Children's novel or YA, boy raised on a commune by grandmother [s] 6 490 Mar 18, 2018 08:45AM
Play Book Tag: Schooled / Gordon Korman. 4 stars 8 19 Apr 04, 2017 07:23PM

• Night of the Howling Dogs
  • Waiting for Normal
  • Airball: My Life in Briefs
  • Stanford Wong Flunks Big-time
  • Alabama Moon (Alabama Moon, #1)
  • The Thing About Georgie
  • The Schwa Was Here (Antsy Bonano, #1)
  • Diamond Willow
  • The Year of the Fortune Cookie (Anna Wang #3)
  • Operation Yes
  • The Other Half of My Heart
  • Adam Canfield of the Slash
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
“When we lock things away," he said with conviction, "we're really imprisoning ourselves.” 28 likes
“Come on, who saw what happened?"
"I did," I volenteered.
"Well?"
"Buttwipe wanted to know what jerkface was looking at." I turned turned eyes on the bloody and dirt-smeared brawlers. "You were barely 3-inches apart. Couldn't you see that you were both looking at each other?"
The teacher's face reddened. "Who do you think you are? Jerry Seinfeld?"
"You must be confused with another student," I told him. "My name is Capricorn Anderson.”
25 likes