Start by marking “Those Who Prey” as Want to Read:
Those Who Prey

Those Who Prey

Sadie meets The Girls in this riveting debut psychological thriller about a lonely college freshman seduced into joining a cult—and her desperate attempt to escape before it's too late.

College life isn’t what Emily expected.

She expected to spend freshman year strolling through the ivy-covered campus with new friends, finally feeling like she belonged. Instead, she walks t
Hardcover
Published November 10th 2020 by Atheneum, Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Prey, please sign up.

Start your review of Those Who Prey
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object." -Albert Camus

The second I stumbled across the synopsis of this book I knew that I had to read it. As a child of the 90's who grew up in the "Bible Belt" of the US (for my international friends, this would be the southeast), I have witnessed and experienced the kind of pressures that this books delves into, and while the story is fictional, the research and experience that went into explor
Dahlia
May 24, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020-releases
The only reason this took me so long is because I read a PDF and that was just really hard for me, but I think in hardcopy I would’ve devoured this as quickly as humanly possible. It’s bananas and haunting and there are just new questions every five seconds, but the best part is how it really feels like a memoir, like this is a real person telling her story, and you see how it could happen to anyone. Definitely recommend to my fellow fans of (literal) cult fiction!
L
Jun 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
The cover is enough to seduce me into reading this book
Eva Gibson
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roaring-20s, ya
This is a book for someone looking for a story beyond the usual fare--something more than a safe, contemporary romance, or emotional coming-of-age. Something different than the latest other world fantasy, or cursed princess saga, or whatnot. This is a book that explores the allure and dangers of group fanaticism in a way I have not often seen outside of nonfiction--in fact, I don't know if I've ever read a YA book that deals with this particular topic in this way.

To say this book spoke to me on
Erin A. Craig
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THOSE WHO PREY is a chilling debut that takes an uncomfortably thorough look at just how easily one could fall victim to a fanatical group. Moffett's thoughtful prose made me ache for Emily and her friends. I found myself cringing as the the swirling and destructive whirlpool pulled them into deeper waters, but could not stop turning the pages. I devoured this book.
Jennifer Moffett
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: roaring20s
I can't wait for readers to follow Emily's journey into the secretive depths of a cult and her life-and-death struggle to find a way out. I'm so excited to share this book!
Shannon Takaoka
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, roaring20sdebut
Set in the 1990s, this YA thriller follows the story of Emily, a shy college freshman whose first year at Boston University ends up being vastly different than the idealized version of university life that she imagined. Paired up with a hard-partying roommate, in a city that’s cold and unwelcoming compared to the small ocean-side town she grew up in, Emily is lonely, and struggling to find her place. Until she meets handsome and charming Josh, also from the South, and he introduces her to his gr ...more
anna grace
Jun 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
pretty cover pretty cover
Liz Lawson
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read THE REMNANT early, and I am here to tell you all that you NEED to pick up this book, come 2020. THE REMNANT takes place in the mid-90s, and follows Emily, a freshman in college in Boston, who gets tangled up with a cult. (YES -- A CULT!! I told you that you NEED to pick up this book!!) She joins them in a mission to Italy (YES -- ITALY!! A large part of the book takes place in Europe!) which turns deadly (meaning: MURDER!!).

I dont want to say much more - because, s
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Wow guys, true embarrassing story, I was today years old when I realized what a clever play on words the title is. Because this book is about people who prey but under the guise of people who pray. Clever! (Not me, I am clearly zero percent clever.)  I have always been incredibly fascinated with cults, and even more so with the psychology of them. Those Who Prey delves deep into how a pe
steph⁷
This was equal parts fascinating because of the psychology into how cults operate and how they draw you in before you realize it's too late to escape their vice-like grip and boring because of the lack of depth in the characters and overall writing style. More thoughts to come.
Meghan
Oct 29, 2020 rated it liked it
As a high school student, I participated in a religious retreat that people jokingly called a cult. After reading this book and reflecting on my experience, the jokes hit a little too close to home.

The protagonist, Emily, finds herself without any friends, thousands of miles from home during her freshman year of college. She’s quickly adopted into the Kingdom, a group of students belonging to a strict Christian religion. Thrilled that she finally has friends, Emily overlooks some pretty egregiou
Anuradha Rajurkar
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an early draft of THOSE WHO PREY, and am so honored to have been given the privilege of reading this shocking, unconventional, evocative thriller. I loved THOSE WHO PREY. Moffett’s writing is so evocative, and Emily is such a relatable, unforgettable protagonist. Emily’s loneliness as a college freshman reminded me of my own early college days--college campuses are tough places for shy kids-- and Moffett detailed this beautifully. I admire how she tackled the topic of joining a campus ...more
Julie (Struck by Stories)
What I Liked:

This is college YA done right. It’s really quite sad that in this year of 2020, we still are experiencing a shortage of crossover YA books. 18-21 should, by all intents and purposes, still be considered young adult, because you’re not fully adulting yet. Those Who Prey had a typical-YA thriller feel to it, while also being set during freshman year, which I appreciated so darn much.
The religious cult luring is scarily convincing. Sometimes, I have a difficult time putting myself in t
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Lonely college freshman Emily meets a group of friends, not realizing The Kingdom is a religious cult.

When I was a freshman in college, a guy I knew invited me to his church. I wasn’t interested in the church, but lonely so I went along. The service was like nothing I’d ever seen with people talking in tongues and falling on the ground like they were having seizures. I had a hard time not laughing. Afterwards a few college kids and I went for pizza. The guy kept bugging me to come back to his ch
Laura Namey
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-stars
A chilling, thoughtful debut that dutifully explores the inch-by-inch process by which belonging bleeds into manipulation. I've never read a book quite like this. It's unique in its genre, but also so relatable. This happens, sadly, every day, and I loved how the cult recovery was detailed by Moffett. I was so invested in watching Emily change from a girl fixated on mastering this force-fed route to salvation, only to learn that she really must save herself.
Beautiful prose, captivating character
Kit Frick
Those Who Prey is a slow-burn suspense that crackles into a wildfire. Jennifer Moffett is a masterful storyteller; get ready to devour this piercing and provocative debut.
Lillie Lainoff
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*ARC REVIEW*
I was lucky enough to win an ARC giveaway a long time ago... enter COVID, which results in me forgetting. But a couple weeks ago THOSE WHO PREY arrived on my doorstep, and I devoured it eagerly. Amidst grad school classes, novel edits, a pandemic, etc. Moffett's debut novel was a welcome distraction. And I mean 'distraction' in the best possible way: it is easy to lose yourself in TWP's pages. The subject matter is handled with such care. Emily, the MC, is drawn with vivid clarity (j
Ashley
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Update: 3 stars

Damn, I am really looking forward to reading this book. It sounds so similar to what I went through with a cult my own freshman year of college (minus crazy deadly Italy mission trip, but the cult I was in did have a beach retreat that ended in tragic deaths both the year before and the year after I went on it...)
Paula M
“After you leave it, it feels like you’re lost, like someone led you into the depths of a labyrinth without a map, and then abandoned you to find your way out.”

What a rollercoaster ride! Reading Those Who Prey was such an emotional circus. The statement "I didn't know what I signed up for" is an understatement.

It's important point out that this book is set in the 90's. Those Who Prey is the story of Emily. Emily a college student, she found herself isolated and having difficulty connecting o
Kailey Steward
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
This read like a well-paced nonfiction book to me. Which is interesting, because I struggle to find a well-paced nonfiction book in general. I didn’t fall into it or love the writing the way I do with some books, but I knew I could not leave it unfinished. I wish some things had been fleshed out more, and the article portion hadn’t been split the way it was since the constant “continued” just confused me and made me need to go refresh myself on what the article had said before.
I wish
Hayley Krischer
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cults have always been fascinating to me so I was immediately interested in this book. It's set up to appeal to the reader as someone who understands that cults operate on deep psychological manipulation and I really appreciated that. As I was reading Emily's story of how she got deeper and deeper into this cult, the headings for each of the chapters gave me further insight. It's not that they're just befriending her, they're drawing her in. It's not that they're just asking her about her life b ...more
Ashley Reading Stewardess
What an amazing debut novel! Moffett has crafted a story that is hard to put down and has me wanting to read more by her in the near future. My full review is up on my blog: https://readingstewardess.wordpress.c... ...more
Isa ☾
Nov 04, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
yeap i'm here for this cover
Ankara
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews-for-tnd
3,5⭐️

ARC provided by The Nerd Daily.

The research done by the author to write the novel is magnificent and it shows, but far too many questions are left unanswered for my liking.
Lauren
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I really hate cult books. They make me feel icky as I read them and can’t believe how naive and easily manipulated the victims are. But having said that, Moffett’s writing and story is well done. I wish it had gone back and forth in time; might have been a bit more suspenseful if it had been organized that way.
Jarka Alam
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you want a book that is gripping in the most unsettling way, this is a must-read. Those Who Prey completely flips the coming of age narrative, by making a very singular experience universal. Emily's loneliness and grief, her desperation to find anyone and anything that brings her comfort and acceptance is something we can all relate to.

Things I liked:

-The characters were really well fleshed-out and I felt like each played a purpose and had distinct personalities. I think this is hard to do s
Tanya
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to have been given the opportunity to read an early copy of THE REMNANT by Jennifer Moffett. Having attended Boston University, I was especially intrigued to dive into this YA thriller. The story starts off slowly, but in a way where you are 100 percent sure it's going to speed up at any moment. Kind of like a rollercoaster making it's slow ascent to the top, and then whoosh! All of a sudden you're thrown into a wild ride where you're not sure what's coming next.

It starts off with E
eda
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really likes this!!! It definitely is amazing for a debut novel. Cults have always been interesting to me because deep down I thought “i would never join a cult, why don’t people see the warning signs before?” This book made me realise- obviously the cult leaders are not going up to people and asking them if they want to join their cult with blood sacrifice. Those who prey shows that anyone can be brainwashed into it. Emily wanted nothing more then to feel loved and accepted. They (the kingdom ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Hope You're Listening
  • Sadie
  • We Keep the Dead Close: A Murder at Harvard and a Half Century of Silence
  • Emergency Contact
  • The Grace Year
  • Everything I Thought I Knew
  • One to Watch
  • Concrete Rose (The Hate U Give, #0)
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Early Departures
  • Five Total Strangers
  • Plain Bad Heroines
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Raybearer (Raybearer, #1)
  • I Would Leave Me If I Could: A Collection of Poetry
  • The Cousins
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Teen Killers Club
JENNIFER MOFFETT grew up in Arkansas, where she spent her childhood playing in creeks and climbing trees while dreaming up stories about faraway places. A college study abroad program sparked her lifelong passion for travel. After working in children’s television in New York City, she received an MA in Creative Writing and wrote book reviews for regional publications. Her short stories and poems h ...more

Articles featuring this book