Start by marking “Those Who Prey” as Want to Read:
Those Who Prey

Those Who Prey

Sadie meets The Girls in this riveting debut psychological thriller about a lonely college freshman seduced into joining a cult—and her desperate attempt to escape before it's too late.

College life isn’t what Emily expected.

She expected to spend freshman year strolling through the ivy-covered campus with new friends, finally feeling like she belonged. Instead, she walks t
Hardcover
Expected publication: November 10th 2020 by Atheneum, Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Who Prey

Start your review of Those Who Prey
Dahlia
May 24, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020-releases
The only reason this took me so long is because I read a PDF and that was just really hard for me, but I think in hardcopy I would’ve devoured this as quickly as humanly possible. It’s bananas and haunting and there are just new questions every five seconds, but the best part is how it really feels like a memoir, like this is a real person telling her story, and you see how it could happen to anyone. Definitely recommend to my fellow fans of (literal) cult fiction!
L
Jun 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
The cover is enough to seduce me into reading this book
Eva Gibson
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roaring-20s, ya
This is a book for someone looking for a story beyond the usual fare--something more than a safe, contemporary romance, or emotional coming-of-age. Something different than the latest other world fantasy, or cursed princess saga, or whatnot. This is a book that explores the allure and dangers of group fanaticism in a way I have not often seen outside of nonfiction--in fact, I don't know if I've ever read a YA book that deals with this particular topic in this way.

To say this book spoke to me on
Erin A. Craig
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THOSE WHO PREY is a chilling debut that takes an uncomfortably thorough look at just how easily one could fall victim to a fanatical group. Moffett's thoughtful prose made me ache for Emily and her friends. I found myself cringing as the the swirling and destructive whirlpool pulled them into deeper waters, but could not stop turning the pages. I devoured this book.
Shannon Takaoka
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, roaring20sdebut
Set in the 1990s, this YA thriller follows the story of Emily, a shy college freshman whose first year at Boston University ends up being vastly different than the idealized version of university life that she imagined. Paired up with a hard-partying roommate, in a city that’s cold and unwelcoming compared to the small ocean-side town she grew up in, Emily is lonely, and struggling to find her place. Until she meets handsome and charming Josh, also from the South, and he introduces her to his gr ...more
Jennifer Moffett
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: roaring20s
I can't wait for readers to follow Emily's journey into the secretive depths of a cult and her life-and-death struggle to find a way out. I'm so excited to share this book!
anna grace
Jun 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
pretty cover pretty cover
Anuradha Rajurkar
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an early draft of THOSE WHO PREY, and am so honored to have been given the privilege of reading this shocking, unconventional, evocative thriller. I loved THOSE WHO PREY. Moffett’s writing is so evocative, and Emily is such a relatable, unforgettable protagonist. Emily’s loneliness as a college freshman reminded me of my own early college days--college campuses are tough places for shy kids-- and Moffett detailed this beautifully. I admire how she tackled the topic of joining a campus ...more
Liz Lawson
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read THE REMNANT early, and I am here to tell you all that you NEED to pick up this book, come 2020. THE REMNANT takes place in the mid-90s, and follows Emily, a freshman in college in Boston, who gets tangled up with a cult. (YES -- A CULT!! I told you that you NEED to pick up this book!!) She joins them in a mission to Italy (YES -- ITALY!! A large part of the book takes place in Europe!) which turns deadly (meaning: MURDER!!).

I dont want to say much more - because, s
Laura Namey
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-stars
A chilling, thoughtful debut that dutifully explores the inch-by-inch process by which belonging bleeds into manipulation. I've never read a book quite like this. It's unique in its genre, but also so relatable. This happens, sadly, every day, and I loved how the cult recovery was detailed by Moffett. I was so invested in watching Emily change from a girl fixated on mastering this force-fed route to salvation, only to learn that she really must save herself.
Beautiful prose, captivating character
Kit Frick
Those Who Prey is a slow-burn suspense that crackles into a wildfire. Jennifer Moffett is a masterful storyteller; get ready to devour this piercing and provocative debut.
Ashley
Sep 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
Damn, I am really looking forward to reading this book. It sounds so similar to what I went through with a cult my own freshman year of college (minus crazy deadly Italy mission trip, but the cult I was in did have a beach retreat that ended in tragic deaths both the year before and the year after I went on it...)
Tanya
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to have been given the opportunity to read an early copy of THE REMNANT by Jennifer Moffett. Having attended Boston University, I was especially intrigued to dive into this YA thriller. The story starts off slowly, but in a way where you are 100 percent sure it's going to speed up at any moment. Kind of like a rollercoaster making it's slow ascent to the top, and then whoosh! All of a sudden you're thrown into a wild ride where you're not sure what's coming next.

It starts off with E
Hayley Krischer
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cults have always been fascinating to me so I was immediately interested in this book. It's set up to appeal to the reader as someone who understands that cults operate on deep psychological manipulation and I really appreciated that. As I was reading Emily's story of how she got deeper and deeper into this cult, the headings for each of the chapters gave me further insight. It's not that they're just befriending her, they're drawing her in. It's not that they're just asking her about her life b ...more
Ankara
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
3,5⭐️

ARC provided by The Nerd Daily.

The research done by the author to write the novel is magnificent and it shows, but far too many questions are left unanswered for my liking.
Lauren
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I really hate cult books. They make me feel icky as I read them and can’t believe how naive and easily manipulated the victims are. But having said that, Moffett’s writing and story is well done. I wish it had gone back and forth in time; might have been a bit more suspenseful if it had been organized that way.
Jarka Alam
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you want a book that is gripping in the most unsettling way, this is a must-read. Those Who Prey completely flips the coming of age narrative, by making a very singular experience universal. Emily's loneliness and grief, her desperation to find anyone and anything that brings her comfort and acceptance is something we can all relate to.

Things I liked:

-The characters were really well fleshed-out and I felt like each played a purpose and had distinct personalities. I think this is hard to do s
ElphaReads
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this novel!

Though I was definitely an insecure college student in a lot of ways, I knew myself well enough to steer clear of the campus group tables that were constantly camped out in the student union that wanted to get as many members as possible. Be they militant vegan groups or campus political groups, I just walked ahead and didn't make eye contact. The one that creeped me out the most was for Campus Crusade for Christ, as they always
Lillie Lainoff
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*ARC REVIEW*
I was lucky enough to win an ARC giveaway a long time ago... enter COVID, which results in me forgetting. But a couple weeks ago THOSE WHO PREY arrived on my doorstep, and I devoured it eagerly. Amidst grad school classes, novel edits, a pandemic, etc. Moffett's debut novel was a welcome distraction. And I mean 'distraction' in the best possible way: it is easy to lose yourself in TWP's pages. The subject matter is handled with such care. Emily, the MC, is drawn with vivid clarity (j
Stacy
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Emily has just started college but is having a difficult time fitting in. This all changes when she finds her place in the religious club, the Kingdom. On a missionary trip to Italy with the club, she begins to wonder if she’s in a cult, not a religious sect.

This was an enjoyable story but I was expecting a bit more drama and excitement. The climax was a bit short-lived for me. I had a difficult time connecting with the secondary characters and would have liked to have them built up a bit more,
Readingcaptures
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an intriguing book from beginning to end. The author did an amazing job in finding a salacious topic that many are curious about. How does one end up in a cult. It was interesting to experience it first hand. What was interesting that even in the end The main character didn't want to call it a joining a cult. Perhaps most cult members never even realize that is what they have joined. I loved the choice of storytelling jumping from newspaper excerpts to the main characters experience as ...more
Chelsea
Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.

This was decent, and I loved the premise. I wanted more from the writing, however - some of the characters were not developed at all and blended together in my mind, and the conclusion didn’t quite come together the way I think it was meant to. I do enjoy reading about cults, real or fictional, and this was a fast read. 3.5 stars.
Sarah Baenen
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating look at how a normal person could be preyed upon and manipulated to join a cult. The main character is relatable, which makes her transformation all the more eye-opening. I appreciated how the author showed the before, during, and after phases of the cult.

ARC from NetGalley
Joanna Bennett
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
RTC closer to publication date.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an e-copy to review!
Ale Silva :)
Aug 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
a college freshmen that gets tricked into joining a cult? sign me up
Kait Goodwin ★Kait Plus Books★
WOW.

Full review to be published on November 5th at kaitplusbooks.com!
nati
Sep 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
Seduced into a cult?? Fuck it I’m in.
eda
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this book cover.. the synopsis... 100% gonna pick this up on the release day!!!
Stephanie

• Punching the Air
  • Sadie
  • Displacement
  • Early Departures
  • Beyond the Ruby Veil (Beyond the Ruby Veil, #1)
  • She's Too Pretty to Burn
  • Emergency Contact
  • The Grace Year
  • Everything I Thought I Knew
  • One by One
  • One to Watch
  • I Killed Zoe Spanos
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
  • Don't Look for Me
JENNIFER MOFFETT grew up in Arkansas, where she spent her childhood playing in creeks and climbing trees while dreaming up stories about faraway places. A college study abroad program sparked her lifelong passion for travel. After working in children’s television in New York City, she received an MA in Creative Writing and wrote book reviews for regional publications. Her short stories and poems h ...more

Articles featuring this book

Girls who save the world, sweeping dystopias, contemporary love stories, and high fantasy are all staples of the current young adult book...