Start by marking “Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley's Bill Campbell” as Want to Read:

The team behind How Google Works returns with management lessons from legendary coach and business executive, Bill Campbell, whose mentoring of some of our most successful modern entrepreneurs has helped create well over a trillion dollars in market value.

Bill Campbell played an instrumental role in the growth of several prominent companies, such as Google, Apple, and Intu
Published April 16th 2019 by HarperBusiness

To ask other readers questions about Trillion Dollar Coach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trillion Dollar Coach

Steve Sarner
I read a lot of books on leadership, management and business in general. Trillion Dollar Coach was fantastic and has earned a spot on my top 10 list.

I was particularly excited to read Trillion Dollar Coach because I've always had tremendous admiration for Bill Campbell and the amazing relationships and accomplishments he had in forming much of the interactive age of Silicon Valley. In fact, I don’t know that there is anyone who comes close to being so involved and connected with so many of th
Philip Joubert
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book fails both as a biography and as a playbook. It's thin on details and the rose-coloured lens of Bill makes it read more like a eulogy.

Evidence would suggest that Bill Campbell was an excellent coach. This book does not capture his playbook in a meaningful way and I learned very little.

It’s filled with stories of Bill being a hero without any description of what he really did. It contains such useless statements as: Bill swore a lot and could come across as a bit rough, but that’s fine
Frederico Cabral
May 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had mixed feelings about this book. After a few pages I started to wonder, why did Eric decide to write it? Would it be a courtesy for Campbel? Or just a way to share Campbel's wisdom and coach techniques to a broader public? Regardless of the reason, Eric failed on both.

I wasn't expecting a profile so well described as Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson, but I wasn't expecting something so poorly written as this neither. There is not even his family involved.

Is there any take away from Bil
Mridul Singhai
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric Schmidt & Jonathan Rosenberg share the leadership tactics of Bill Campbell, by means of interesting personal encounters people have had with Bill over the years.

Two key takeaways –
1. Be a human at work – recognize that people around you are humans.
The human values of love, kindness and care (which are foundational for interpersonal relationships) generally do not belong to a corporate boardroom, but practicing them can lead to great good – not just for the stakeholders, but also for t
Herve Tunga
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maybe not as organised as I would have liked (me being picky here). It's a great book and I have a new role model.
Rishabh Srivastava
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Some great anecdotes in this book. However, the authors didn't create a framework that codified Bill Campbell's legendary coaching skills.

The major points I took away were:

1. Candor + Care - give blunt feedback (and be harsh when necessary). But deliver it an envelope of trust (make sure that the person receiving the feedback knows you have their best interests in mind)
2. Treat teams - not individuals - as the fundamental building blocks of the organization. Chastise superstars when they let the
Brian Rosenblat
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told through stories of those who worked most closely with Bill Campbell, there is wisdom in this book about what it takes to inspire and lead teams. Bill taught people how to bring their full, authentic selves to work. To be a great leader, you need to be willing to deeply support and connect with your people. He set a high bar for himself and the people he mentored and this book is a good reminder of how important this is.

Bill seems to have been a selfless coach and mentor and wanted to avoid
Tim Ingate
When Bill Campbell died in 2016, Silicon Valley lost "The Coach", as he was affectionately known.

Aside from his roles as an influential tech exec, Campbell was revered as the executive coach to Valley legends like Apple's Steve Jobs and Google's Larry Page and Sergey Brin.

In Trillion Dollar Coach, former Alphabet chairman Eric Schmidt, Page's advisor Jonathan Rosenberg, and Google's director of communications Alan Eagle share lessons they gathered from 80 of Campbell's students that you'll want
Jay Hennessey
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book and learning about Bill Campbell. Tim Ferriss’ interview with Eric Schmidt was the perfect primer to this book. I really enjoyed learning about the tech companies if Silicon Valley and the impact that Bill had with many of their leaders.

As much as I found this book to be enjoyable and interesting, I was really hoping to learn the unsuspected secrets of Bill’s success. The secret was that he was able to do all the things that most people know, but just do not do
William Krasne
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book about a great man and how he helped everyone around him as a coach, mentor, and friend
David
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh. Too light on specifics. Too heavy on name dropping. Very male. Quite simplistic. Should have been a Medium essay.
Sneijders
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for every leader, coach and human being

The principals of being a human oriented leader is perfectly pitched here.
In my words: using our Head and Gut Brian brings us to the top, using our Heart makes us a real leader!
Evert de Ruiter
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bucket list book... I’ve wanted to know more about Bill Campbell for almost twenty years. This book did not disappoint. If at all possible, I’m an even bigger fan now.

This is a smartly written book that interweaves anecdotes and personal testimonials around a well-structured framework. But then they went one step further by offering supportive evidence to the shared insights.

A great read. And a good audiobook too.
Rohit Nallapeta
This book is a trillion dollar let down - the book doesn't measure up to the man, the legend, the coach. I'd have loved to channel Bill Campbell's colorful language in this review, but out of respect to him and the author's pedigree and hard work, I refrain. There are some great anecdotes, examples, and situations in this book but the codification of the principles, if any, are really poor. I had very high expectations from this book and came away disappointed.
Bjoern Rochel
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-mgmt, 2019
I bet this is going to be a divisive book. Half of the readers will probably passionately hate it, while the other group most certainly will enjoy or love it.

The first group will likely consists of people that are either pursuing Lalouxs Teal Organisations, are allergic to the idea that a manager can be a coach to his directs and peers (such as Appelo http://noop.nl/2012/06/egocentric-lea...) or in general hate sport or competition metaphors and analogies (like DHH for example).

So if you're in
Ben
Jun 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'd really love to understand why this book is rated so highly, for me it didn't go much beyond clichés and adoration. I get that Bill Campbell is a great coach and maybe he was ahead of his time - even more so, this doesn't do him justice.

The main messages of the book are:
- Trust is important
- Teams are good, you should not only focus on top players
- Love and compassion are valid in business
(- BC was this amazing dude who knew a lot of millionairs and billionairs!!!1!)

I think that the first two
Hardik
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Up until now, I read about importance of leaders and mentors. But after this book, I got to know about the third pillar- a coach. They very beautifully describe why Bill was the loved coach he was and how he touched so many lives
Jason
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Bill Campbell was a fascinating business leader and coach - and a Silicon Valley legend. His Google disciples have produced a volume that is part business-maxims and part-biography. This book reads like it was written by a committee. Still waiting for a better analysis of Campbell and why he mattered.
Rose Yao
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I love the most about this book is that ultimately it's about being a good human as well as a good coach/manager. It seems that Bill Campbell was way ahead of his time. He understood that you need to manage the team as a whole vs each individual. That being a good person who deeply cares (before radical candor was a thing) was the foundation for any relationship and being able to make progress and give tough feedback.
Justin Fanelli
Written quickly, but enjoyable collection that exceeds hagiography reviews for me
Diego Kuri
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book

Pleasure reading this. An example of an amazing human being, hopefully leaders can learn from him.

Highly recommend it. 5 stars
Abhilash Ravishankar
Fantastic read

Reminds me of an executive coach I know at work, one of my mentors and coach to Fortune 10 CEOs.
S Prakash
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trillion Dollar Coach by Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg
- A Review

Trillion Dollar Coach is a collection of first hand experiences of its authors Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg with their Mentor Bill Campbell; and also his leadership philosophy summarised basis their interviews of numerous leaders of Silicon Valley who were immensely benfited by his coaching.

Bill Campbell played a huge role in the growth of Silicon Valley giants such as Google, Apple, and many more of others.

Its goos to
Fouzan/Vijaya Ali/Ravindran,
Mediocre attempt at capturing a remarkable individual’s playbook. Schmidt and Rosenberg would have done well to put more thought into what they were trying to achieve with this book. It’s neither a biography nor a playbook. It’s a eulogy with some interesting bits here and there. Nothing that hasn’t been explained in other good leadership books like ‘the hard thing about hard things’.
Herve
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had so often heard of this hidden secret of Silicon Valley that when I read about a book written about him, I had to buy and read it immediately. Which I did. And what about the authors: first and foremost, Eric Schmidt, the former CEO of Google… I had mentioned Campbell 3 times here:

– first in 2014, in Horowitz’ The Hard Thing About Hard Things: there is no recipe but courage. This is there I had Campbell picture just between Steve Jobs abd Andy grove.
jobs-campbell-grove

– then in 2015, in Goo
Maksim
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good collection of advices and principles. Not eye opening, yet useful in day to day management of teams
Jeff Mousty
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-work
The book is a good quick read (200 pages), but as mentioned in the book it's tough to write a biography/tribute book about someone that while alive never wanted a book written about them. This book is basically a compilation of the outcomes of interviews of people Bill coached as well as the authors personal interactions with him after he had passed. So its written well, but could have been just that much better in my opinion, but that wasn't Bill's mo to be in the spotlight so I get it.

The boo
Titia Lenzhölzer-Maas
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
When I learned that Bill Campbell was a hugger, I knew I had to buy this book. I strongly believe the world needs ore huggers, so learning about a "trillion dollar coach", who was famous for his bearhugs was like an affirmation.

The book is not a trillion dollar book. It is a nice reminder of all the basic things that in theory seem so simple, yet in reality, are often not practiced to the extent that would be required for those basics to have a meaningful impact. That by itself is an important
Keith Millar
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Now in my top 10 books read. My hard copy is full of marked up pages and notes. An easy read at times wishing it was a little more detailed, but again the 1%'s I picked up from Bill's attitude and coaching will I know serve me well.
I note a number of less than high marked reviews, and wonder if they were not looking for the silver bullet(s) , when much of the magic is hidden in plain sight:

* the structure of the one on ones
* the caring nature towards his coaches
* the importance of integrity and
Nessy Dimitrova
Absolute favourite!

I read this book thanks to Blinkist.

The key message in these blinks:

A working-class ex-football coach with a non-technical degree who’d parachuted into California at the relatively ripe age of 43, Bill Campbell wasn’t exactly your average Silicon Valley star. But that didn’t stop him becoming one of the most important business gurus in the world. With his passion and straight-talking advice, Campbell helped a series of start-ups conquer the world and generate trillions of doll
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
“Keep note of the times when they give up things, and when they are excited for someone else’s success.” 2 likes
“When you listen to people, they feel valued. A 2003 study from Lund University in Sweden finds that “mundane, almost trivial” things like listening and chatting with employees are important aspects of successful leadership, because “people feel more respected, visible and less anonymous, and included in teamwork.”10 And a 2016 paper finds that this form of “respectful inquiry,” where the leader asks open questions and listens attentively to the response, is effective because it heightens the “follower’s” feelings of competence (feeling challenged and experiencing mastery), relatedness (feeling of belonging), and autonomy (feeling in control and having options). Those three factors are sort of the holy trinity of the self-determination theory of human motivation, originally developed by Edward L. Deci and Richard M. Ryan.11” 1 likes