Start by marking “Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)” as Want to Read:
Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)

Protect the Prince

(Crown of Shards #2)

First, Evie has to deal with a court full of arrogant, demanding nobles, all of whom want to get their greedy hands on her crown. As if that wasn’t bad enough, an assassin tries to kill Evie in her own throne room.

Despite the dangers, Evie goes ahead with a scheduled trip to the neighboring kingdom of Andvari in order to secure a desperately needed alliance. But
Published July 2nd 2019 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Protect the Prince, please sign up.
Jessica Williams People have advanced reader copies. Book reviewers usually get them in exchange for publicity.…morePeople have advanced reader copies. Book reviewers usually get them in exchange for publicity. (less)

Start your review of Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
Beth
First, I have to say, after I finished PROTECT THE PRINCE, I immediately when back and re-read KILL THE QUEEN and then PROTECT THE PRINCE, again! It was that GOOD!

Evie has reluctantly claimed the thrown and now her troubles really begin. Her finely tuned art of political machinations will become her life line of survival. But at least she has the friends she made at the gladiator troupe to have her back.

Court intrigue, intense action and everything you’d expect from the incredible story telling
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Protect the Prince by Jennifer Estep

2nd in the Crown of Shards series. Fantasy series. Best read after the first Kill the Queen.
Everleigh, The heroine is fierce and tender hearted. She is going to do what’s best for her kingdom regardless of the cost to herself. She puts herself on the line several times. Even when her own heart s breaking.

Intense and action filled. I can’t wait for the next in the series.

Gargoyles: living, breathing stone. Like puppies, they like their bellies rubbed. If they
Ian
Every now and then I get a hankering for KFC.
Not often.
Maybe once in every two or three months.
I know I'm going to regret it but the craving needs to be sated.

And I always end up feeling ill and swearing that never again will I put myself through that.

Jennifer Estep is a bit like that. I struggle with her writing style. The countless repeated adjectives, the self recriminations her characters all go through, the use of dreams to tell a back story.

But I've read 20+ of her books and I keep
Lady Heather
"Pretty, pretty princes,
All in a row.
Who will they marry?
Where will they go?

This girl, that girl,
Maid, lady, queen.
Who snares the princes' hearts
remains to be seen."

- Andvarian court song

"5- What does it mean to be a Winter Queen- Stars"

"Summer queens are fine and fair, with
pretty ribbons and flowers in their hair.

Winter queens are cold and hard,
with frosted crowns made of icy shards."

-Bellonan fairy-tale rhyme

This was such an amazing read!
This book was an incredible story of lies, treachery,
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth

GENRE: Fantasy
RATING: 4 STARS
CLIFFHANGER: Yes

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

After KILL THE QUEEN I couldn't wait to see how Evie was going to deal with her new status as the Queen of Bellonan. Here are my thoughts:

- Evie had a lot of hangups about people judging her. Her inner monologues, repeating how she thought she didn't deserve being queen, that she was a fraud, a pretender, were a little
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jennifer Estep has once again blown me away with her ability to create not only a unique world full of magic and wonder and believe-ability but memorable characters that you can't help but love and feel for.

A unique epic fantasy that will blow you away, get your heart and blood pumping and your hand eagerly turning the pages because you just can't get enough, fast enough.

I loved Kill the Queen and it still remains one of my favorite reads for 2018 but Protect the Prince has by far surpassed
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
*****5 Magic Master Stars*****

What a great 2nd book to the series and to me, it wrapped the romance up in a perfect way. Now, the war? I know there will be another book coming but I wonder if it's with Evie or will there be a new main character? My guess....Gemma.

I can't wait to see what comes next!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
“Because life can be a cruel, heartless bitch,” Helene snapped. “Because we should hold on to the happiness we have and not worry about what other people think of it, or especially of us. Because caring about someone occasionally means compromising something about yourself for their benefit and not your own. That’s what real love is.”

With equal the amount of fantasy, action, and intrigue plus double the romance, angst, and court politics this book builds on upon its predecessor's success making
Mei
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Evie is the Winter Queen. Still she must convince the nobles that she is the Winter Queen and that's not easy at all!

She was much more free as a gladiator than she's now! She must put to use all the skill she learned while being the illused noblewoman in the same court. And, while she excel there, IMHO, she's not convinced. She still doubts her self-worth!

But she fights with wit and sword! And with her imunity to magic!

She will discover some very neat thing about her imunity! LOL

I loved the
Emma
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love the continuation of this story and not only because of the gargoyles! Well worth the wait for the second in series. The story really hits its stride, Evie tries to make a treaty with Sullivan’s people while foiling various assassination attempts. I must say I was surprised by events at the end of this book as I anticipated them at the end of the trilogy. Jennifer Estep writes feel good books and I very much enjoyed it.
☕️Kimberly
Action-packed and romantic Protect the Prince further fleshed out the world as our Queen Everleigh Blair embraced her role and showed the realms what a Winter Queen looks like.

Problems begin in Bellona as court politics force Evie to deal with those who question her ability to lead. Assassination attempts, wicked cuts and barbed tongue lashings immediately pulled me in.

We then head to Andvarian palace, the birthplace of Lucas Sullivan, the King’s bastard. Evie hopes to form an alliance between
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

What a wonderful book! I found myself really being swept away by the story and was completely invested in what would happen to this group of characters. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, Kill the Queen, so I was looking forward to this one and hoping that it would be just as good as the first book. I ended up liking this installment even a bit more than the first. This really was a wonderful reading experience.

This is
melissafandomworld
A really awesome sequel.
Not As strong as the first book but still really good.

* It has more than enough story line development.
* The characters were such a joy to read about again and I loved meeting some new characters as well, like Sullivan’s family for example and other people at court in Andvari.
* There’s more than enough action and girl-power present
* There’s magic everywhere
* There’s a court setting with lots of plotting and scheming going on
* There’s romance and heartbreak and a lot
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Protect the Prince
Series: Crown of Shards #2
Author: Jennifer Estep
Release date: , 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre:fantasy

In this second installment of the Crown of Shards series, we take off three months after Evie has defeated her murderess cousin Vasilia. As the only Winter Blair left, she's taken her place on the throne and adjusting to her new life. In the previous book we saw her go through a transformation, becoming more confident in her strength and abilities. Training with the Black
Ann (annreads)
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I was only queen by chance, by accident, but I was queen. It didn’t matter how I had gotten here, only what I did while the crown was on my head. And that would always be protecting Bellona and her people—and fuck Heinrich and anyone else who was stupid enough to doubt me or tried to keep me from doing my duty as queen.”

That was actually amazing and such a great sequel! Evie is literally my QUEEN and I cannot get enough of her! Overall, I love where the series is going and I'm super excited
Geri Reads
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Full review to come!

A review copy was furnished by the publisher
Adah Udechukwu
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Protect the Prince is a pretty cool novel. I'm sure Book 3 will be nice as well.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/07/15/...

Last year’s Kill the Queen was my first book I ever read by Jennifer Estep and it had me hooked! I was pleased to be back into this world with Protect the Prince and was looking forward to seeing where she will take the characters and story next. If you haven’t caught up to this point yet, be aware as this review may contain spoilers for the first book.

Last time we saw Everleigh “Evie” Blair, she had just saved the kingdom
T.L. Branson
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully captivating story about a girl’s journey to discover herself, her love, and her purpose.

Magic, murder, and romance. That’s the tagline set by the publisher for Book 2 of Jennifer Estep’s Crown of Shards series, Protect the Prince, and it is spot on.

I was provided an ARC of Protect the Prince by Harper Voyager through Edelweiss. Protect the Prince is set to publish July 2nd, 2019.

This book is even better than Kill the Queen, which I adored. Whereas I gave Kill the Queen 4 stars, I
Shelley
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Epic Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Protect the Prince, by author Jennifer Estep, is the second installment in the authors Crown of Shards series. Gladiator meets Game of Thrones! This book has magic, murder, scheming royals, romance, and a kick-ass heroine fighting to take her rightful place as queen. Protect the Prince picks up where Kill the Queen ended. Featuring returning characters and more murder, magic, and mayhem as Everleigh Blair, Queen of Bellona, struggles
Christa
The stories might be grand and romantic, but we both knew that love didn’t always fix things. Sometimes, it just made them worse.

Evie has won her crown, but now she has a much harder task - running her kingdom.

Sometimes I thought that being queen was like trying to wrangle a pond full of baby ducks that were constantly squawking at, swimming circles around, and trying to drown me, all at the same time.

Evie decides to go to Sullivan’s country to make an alliance with the king - Sullivan’
Amanda
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is so good. I feel like it’s really underrated. It really comes together in this book and it’s even better than the first.
Sara Kate
I love Sully and Everly. This story just checks every box for me. This one was tad bit more slow than the first book but the ending was just EVERYTHING! This is one of my favorite series this year.
Asheley
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
I think I liked Protect The Prince by Jennifer Estep even more than I liked the first book, Kill The Queen. I loved the world and the characterization in the first book, and in this second installment, I think it is more and better of the same. The world is more fully realized and was easier for me to visualize while I was reading, and many of the characters are back and were already well-known to me before the book began.

One of the things that I loved about this story is that Evie already is a
Melliane
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I had really had a great time with the first volume and I was looking forward to discovering what the author would bring to this second one. This was all the more the case as I did not expect the story to go that fast in the first volume.

As Queen, Everleigh has to deal with a whole bunch of new problems, and for the moment there are a lot of them! The nobles do not want her, assassination attempts are increasing and Evie has to go to the kingdom of Andvarie
Louisa
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really fantastic book! I did guess one of the really big twists, and I have a suspicion or two about something for Crush the King! So much happens in this book, and it was so awesome! Loved it!
Jessica
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes friends, YES! If you're the type of reader who is always wary of the second book in a series, and whether it will be a good follow up, rest assured that Protect The Prince has you covered. After falling madly in love with Evie, Sullivan, and the whole cast of the first book, I was terrified that this second book would fall short of what I hoped for. I desperately wanted more intrigue, more magic, and I was ready for a little more spicy romance. As it turns out, I got all of that and more!

As
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Protect the Prince is the second book in the Crown of Shards series, and as such, builds directly upon the events of the first title. The story picks up roughly three months after Evie killed the queen and took over as the ruler of Bellona. Growing up in the castle, Evie knows how to play political games, but she’s not going to bow to the pressures of the noble class. She refuses to be kind to those who were cruel to her in the past, no matter their clout.

Against the wishes of most, Evie makes
Snarktastic Sonja
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one as much as the first one. Evie is quite entertaining as Queen.

• Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • Polaris Rising (Consortium Rebellion, #1)
  • Wicked Wings (Lizzie Grace, #5)
  • Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji, #1)
  • Kingdom of Exiles (The Beast Charmer, #1)
  • The Witchkin Murders (Magicfall, #1)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • Blessed be the Wicked (Dark Maji, #2)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting

Crown of Shards (3 books)
  • Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)
  • Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)
“Because life can be a cruel, heartless bitch,” Helene snapped. “Because we should hold on to the happiness we have and not worry about what other people think of it, or especially of us. Because caring about someone occasionally means compromising something about yourself for their benefit and not your own. That’s what real love is,” 2 likes
“I looked the same as always, except for one notable thing. The crown on my head.” 1 likes