Start by marking “Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)” as Want to Read:
Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)

Protect the Prince

(Crown of Shards #2)

First, Evie has to deal with a court full of arrogant, demanding nobles, all of whom want to get their greedy hands on her crown. As if that wasn’t bad enough, an assassin tries to kill Evie in her own throne room.

Despite the dangers, Evie goes ahead with a scheduled trip to the neighboring kingdom of Andvari in order to secure a desperately needed alliance. But complicati
Expected publication: July 2nd 2019 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Protect the Prince, please sign up.
Jessica Williams People have advanced reader copies. Book reviewers usually get them in exchange for publicity.

Beth
First, I have to say, after I finished PROTECT THE PRINCE, I immediately when back and re-read KILL THE QUEEN and then PROTECT THE PRINCE, again! It was that GOOD!

Evie has reluctantly claimed the thrown and now her troubles really begin. Her finely tuned art of political machinations will become her life line of survival. But at least she has the friends she made at the gladiator troupe to have her back.

Court intrigue, intense action and everything you’d expect from the incredible story telling
Lady Heather
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing read!
So good!
Loved the tension between Evie and Sullivan and the nice twist at the end.

Great writing!
Great story!
Great characters!

Full review to come.
T.L. Branson
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully captivating story about a girl’s journey to discover herself, her love, and her purpose.

Magic, murder, and romance. That’s the tagline set by the publisher for Book 2 of Jennifer Estep’s Crown of Shards series, Protect the Prince, and it is spot on.

I was provided an ARC of Protect the Prince by Harper Voyager through Edelweiss. Protect the Prince is set to publish July 2nd, 2019.

This book is even better than Kill the Queen, which I adored. Whereas I gave Kill the Queen 4 stars, I a
☕️Kimberly
Excellent. Full RTC
Louisa
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really fantastic book! I did guess one of the really big twists, and I have a suspicion or two about something for Crush the King! So much happens in this book, and it was so awesome! Loved it!
Shelley
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Epic Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Protect the Prince, by author Jennifer Estep, is the second installment in the authors Crown of Shards series. Gladiator meets Game of Thrones! This book has magic, murder, scheming royals, romance, and a kick-ass heroine fighting to take her rightful place as queen. Protect the Prince picks up where Kill the Queen ended. Featuring returning characters and more murder, magic, and mayhem as Everleigh Blair, Queen of Bellona, struggles wi
TJ
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, fantasy
3.5/5.0
While not nearly as riveting as the first installment in this series, it is still engaging and will keep one reading.

The biggest problem for me was Everleigh. I LOVED her in the first book but had trouble even liking her in this one. Now that she is queen, it is understood she must be strong, but where is the kind and caring woman underneath? I guess we are supposed to accept her thoughts of caring but could we not have seen some kindness come from her mouth? We see only a hard @#*CH.

He
JadeShea
Protect the Prince was utterly amazing!
Once I started it I couldn't put it down, I had to read the whole thing in one sitting!
The characters were wonderful, the plot line adventurous and exciting.
It was also filled with a few laughs, heartache, and a wonderful strong heroine who does her best to be the Queen her people need, and she needs to be.

I cannot wait for the next book now!
Alana
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, 2019
***REVIEW BASED ON AN ADVANCED READERS COPY***

if you thought the first one had twists, just wait for the ones in this book. the life of a new queen is not an easy one. everleigh must secure her succession with marriage and children. not as easy as it sounds with a kingdom still facing threats of invasion and assassination. while still trying to figure out what a winter queen is.
many characters return to entertain and vex. along with interesting new friends or are they foes? sadly, not as many
Yara
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Another fun read that moved at a fast clip throughout and left me satisfied. Evie is such an awesome Mc! She knows how to play the long game even if she hates it. She’ll do whatever it takes for the good of Bellona. My fave characters in this book though were Gemma and her gargoyle friend. Sully of course is a stud muffin and I can’t wait to get more of these characters. Looking forward to the next installment!
Auriel
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The story picks up not long after ‘Kill the Queen’, with our reluctant ruler Evie who has to deal with the aftermath. The author continues with fantastic world building and skilfully moved the plot along. It was pretty tightly woven and I enjoyed the pacing and action. As usual Jennifer has a deft hand with both fight scenes and food descriptions- I think it’s become a bit of signature for her.

Full review to come later.

I won this arc in a contest by the publisher.
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Review to come June 24th
Lady Heather

"I'm voluntarily reading an ARC of this book which has been provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review."
Michelle Cable
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received digital ARC from Edelweiss. Great 2nd book
Raymond Thompson
In Kill the Queen, Everleigh Saffira Winter Blair (Evie to her friends) won the crown of Bellona. Now she has to survive, and the odds are heavily stacked against her. Again. Her own ambitious courtiers plot against her; after the murder of their envoys and prince, the neighboring kingdom of Andvari, whose alliance she is trying to negotiate, mistrusts her; and, most dangerous of all, the ruthless Mortan king has expansionist ambitions and a large team of fanatical, magic-wielding assassins read ...more
Kelsea
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
My rating: 4.5 Stars

**Contains spoilers for book 1, Kill the Queen**

Quick Summary:
- Takes place very shortly after the end of book 1
- Assassinations, verbal sparring, and political intrigue make this book hard to put down
- More Sully and Evie...seriously do you need a better reason then this?!?

My Review:

Thank you to Harper Voyager for providing me an eARC of this book via Edelweiss! Ever since I finished Kill the Queen last year I have been trying to patiently wait for this book...it did not wor
Kim
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rachel V.
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I liked Kill the Queen, the first book in the Crown of Shards, I ended up liking Protect the Prince even more. Everleigh is now the Queen and along with the title comes a lot of responsibilities. There is an assasination attempt at the beginning of the book but Everleigh doesn’t let a little attempted assasination hold her back. When she starts trying to form alliances she goes to visit the king of the kingdom of Andvaria who happens to be Sullivan’s father. The king’s son was killed ...more
Christine Rains
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the new gladiator queen of Bellona, Everleigh Blair has to deal with more trouble than she ever wanted. Greedy nobles, assassins, and peace treaties. Evie wonders if she is strong enough to be queen, especially when her magic starts acting strange. Business must continue, though, and she meets with the Andvarian king who demands she marry his son. Except Evie doesn't love the crown prince. Her heart belongs to Lucas Sullivan, the king's bastard son. Yet as she's visiting the rich kingdom, she ...more
Book Bite Reviews
What a lovely girl Everleigh Blair is!

Now that she is the Queen of Bellona, Evie is trying her best to rule over her kingdom with the elder nobles in her Royal Courts, but they are proving to be more of a pain in the neck. All Evie wants to do is fight back.

A girl named Libby fails to kill her.
Who wants to kill Evie and why?

All attempts at assassinating the queen, fail.
I really hate Maeve of the Brigade of Bastards.
Even that name screams LOSER to me.

I don't know much about the Kingdom of M
William Bentrim
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Protect the Prince by Jennifer Estep
The second book in a new series taking place in Bellonan, a country with shape shifting and magic. Evie, a poor Cinderella type of relative lives in the palace of her aunt, the queen. Evie is tested by Morta and the bastard brigade. Strength of magic determines so much in Bellonan and Evie still appears to have none. Evie is forced to defend the kingdom that has denied her existence.
Estep has polished her skills since I read her early Spider works. She has cr
Elizabeth Gray
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s always good to read an excellent book, but if you are like me, you both anticipate and dread the sequel. Protect the Prince is the second book in the Crown of Shards series by Jennifer Estep. No spoilers, but I can promise that the sequel is just as good as the original! Protect the Prince is an amazing rollercoaster of adventure and intrique!

There is so much to cover here; assassins from Morta (a rival country) led by the deadly Maeven, the two Andvari princes – Lucas the illegitimate vers
Debbie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I just have to say how blown away I have been by this series. I loved the first book, Kill the Queen, and have been on pins and needles waiting for Protect the Prince. Often times I feel like book 2 in any series suffers a bit of middle book syndrome and doesn't live up to the epicness of the first book but if anything I may have enjoyed this one even a smidge more than Kill the Queen.

There is a whole lot going on. Everleigh is having to adjust to being queen, dealing with her own insecuri
Denise Van plew
Was a bit hesitant in reading this one since I missed the first one but time was not on my side so I dived in. Having it also been awhile since I read this author it was a delight to get back into one of her novels since I do know she can captivate a reader. Everleigh is whom takes us into this one with one dilemma after another. Things will not be easy of course with her having quite the challenges along her way in this adventure. Intrigue will also play a big role in this especially when revea ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
What started off kind of slow for me turned out to keep me turning pages towards the end.

As with book one, there was lots of action and adventure. In here, courtly machinations abound, both in Bellona and in Andveri. It was great watching Everleigh grow even more and be more confident in her ability to be Queen.

I've got to mention Jennifer Estep's writing. This is the first series I have read by her so I don't know if this is typical or not, but I absolutely love how descriptive she is! I could
Katrina
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic addition to this series. This book blew me away! One thing I know for sure- Crush The King can’t come fast enough!!!

This one did take me a little longer to get into than Kill The Queen did but once I was in- I was in! Protect The Prince had everything Kill The Queen had and more. Evie is such a fierce character. Her determination and bravery are what make her such a force to be reckoned with. I love that she is able to both hard and soft. The way Estep balances out her character
Heather
Estep's sequel to Kill the Queen continues to deliver action, adventure, romance, and high court politics and drama. Everleigh has been installed as Queen, but her lineage isn't impressive to the court, who still believe she is a powerless ruler in a land of magic. The only ones she can trust are her Black Swan Gladiator friends. Even as they struggle to keep Everleigh alive, more sinister plots are uncovered and danger encountered when Everleigh begins to broker a new treaty with a neighboring ...more
Nicole
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy
Jennifer Estep is a new favorite and officially on the auto-buy list for me. I adored Kill the Queen and Protect the Prince just cemented my obsession with this series. The Crown of Shards has a little bit of everything for fantasy fans -- kickass heroines, assassins and political intrigue, elemental magic, gladiators, and romance. Honestly, what's not to love? Highly recommend it for fans of the Nevernight Chronicles, N.K. Jemisin, Maria V. Snyder, and Erika Johansen.
Leslie Pinson
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. As much as the first. The writing style is fast paced and colorful. The lead character is wonderful as she learns to be a true queen. She battles evil, makes unlikely friendships and stays true to her heart. She explores her magic and learns to wield it in ways she didn't know she could. I can't wait for the next in the series!

• Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Untitled (The Iron Covenant, #2)
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • Wicked Bite (Night Rebel, #2)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Wherever She Goes
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • Pale Blue Flames (The Maker's Song, #6)
  • Rise of the Demon  (Kara Gillian, #9)
  • The Jaguar King (Weathermages of Mystral, #3)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Dragon Unleashed (The Fallen Empire, #2)
  • The Trouble With Vampires (Argeneau #29)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron

Crown of Shards (3 books)
  • Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)
  • Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)