Start by marking “The Nanny: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Nanny: A Novel

The Nanny: A Novel

The New York Times bestselling author of What She Knew conjures a dark and unpredictable tale of family secrets that explores the lengths people will go to hurt one another.

When her beloved nanny, Hannah, left without a trace in the summer of 1988, seven-year-old Jocelyn Holt was devastated. Haunted by the loss, Jo grew up bitter and distant, and eventually lef
Published September 10th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Nanny, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Magda The shooting party was never relevant, only to the police investigator b/c they had to start somewhere. Kid got shot by accident and they explain what…moreThe shooting party was never relevant, only to the police investigator b/c they had to start somewhere. Kid got shot by accident and they explain what happened to him, there was nothing else to it. (less)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lala BooksandLala
This was one of the least mysterious mysteries I've ever read. Usually Gilly Macmillan really does it for me, oh well- maybe her next one!
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a surprising, slow-burn thriller with unlikable but somehow appreciable characters (if you handle a little batshit craziness and sociopathic tendencies, they were all right!), gripping reading making you captive and forcing you brainstorming about what’s going to happen next and then sucker punching you at unforeseeable second with a great revelation! BAM! Yes giving my four stars and throwing my tequila shot against my mouth (This time Chardonnay is too light to absorb this kind of thrille ...more
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
If you enjoy a mystery involving family secrets where nothing is quite as it seems, The Nanny is definitely for you.

Told in alternating points of view, The Nanny tells the tale of Jocelyn Holt as she is forced to return to her childhood home after the death of her husband. Jocelyn must face her estranged mother, while trying to put her and her daughter's life back together. If that wasn't hard enough - a skull is uncovered on the estate's lake, stirring up memories of Jo's beloved Nanny who disappe
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jo was seven years old when her nanny, Hannah, left years ago. The loss disconnected her, and as soon as she could, she left her family and those memories at Lake Hall behind.

Over thirty years later, Jo is back at Lake Hall where she has to face her mother. At the same time, human remains are found in a lake on the property and what could that mean?

This is immediately followed by a visitor showing up and tearing Jo’s world apart all over again. Her mission becomes finding
Norma * Traveling Sister
Slow-burn, upsetting, & deceptively appealing!

I fell in love with Gilly Macmillan and her books after reading WHAT SHE KNEW and since have subsequently read or have snatched myself up all of her other books so I have them on hand. I have a habit of “collecting” author’s books after loving one. I did have every intention of reading them but some of my ARC’s have gotten in the way of reading authors that I favour and enjoy. So I was beyond ecstatic when I received a physical ARC of THE NANNY.

T
sue
I’ve been reading this on and off from last night. I read the bulk of this book until dawn. I finished the rest over breakfast and lunch.
The book was glued to my hands, I really had a job putting it down.

I love a dysfunctional family, and we certainly have one in the story, I loved the “rich class higher archly “ in this too. “We have servants”.

The Nanny is a class pounding thriller that I loved. Plenty to get your teeth into.

Highly recommend
Diane S ☔
2.5 I made the decision at the end of last year to for go many of the psychological thrillers being written. I connected to do few of them and they were all blending together in my head. So, this is one of the few I have read this year, but found myself having the same problem. Different characters telling the story, made this book, for me, choppy reading. Very seldom does this format work for me, though there have been a few exceptions. The sections narrated by Detective Andy, were nonensial,, ...more
Carolyn
The nanny in this novel is not quite the Mary Poppins figure that usually springs to mind when nannies are mentioned, but a more devious, scheming person looking out for number one. In 1987, Hannah Burgess worked as a nanny for Lord and Lady Holt, looking after their 7 year old Jocelyn until one morning Jocelyn wakes up to find Hannah gone with no explanation. Now 30 years later, Jocelyn (or Jo as she now calls herself) and her young daughter are forced back to live with her estranged and bitter ...more
Jayme
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never rated a Gilly Macmillan book under 4 stars, and this one is no exception!!

When her beloved nanny Hannah, left without a trace in 1988, seven year old, Jocelyn was devastated.

Haunted by loss, she grew up bitter and distant -only returning to her family home in desperation after the unexpected death of her husband.

She has been estranged from her Mother for thirty years, but she must put her own daughter, Ruby, first, so with nowhere else to go, the pair leave
Berit☀️✨
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-physical, 2019
Sometimes the truth hurts so much, you'd rather hear the lie.Gilly MacMillan has crafted a haunting and atmospheric story. An eerie tale threaded with Mystery with a strong Gothic feel. This was not a fast paced edge of your seat thriller full of twists and turns. This was a slow burn that completely transported me into the lives of these characters. I could feel the chill in the air and the goosebumps on my skin, I was right there in this big creepy house with Virginia, Jo, Hannah, and Ruby. Th ...more
Mark
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I was expecting ‘sonething’ from this book but in fact got a very different book to what I had imagined
The Holts are titled and noble folk and even though it is just Lady Holt now in the big manor house she keeps appearances and customs as they always have been, stiff upper lip, straight backed and aloof and still employs ‘staff’ ( I adored her in all her entitled luxury ).....’Jo’ her daughter has arrived after a tragedy and is now also penniless, with her is her daughter, she has lived i
Louise Wilson
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1987, Hannah Burgess worked as a nanny for Lord & Lady Holt, looking after their seven year old daughter Jocelyn. One morning Jocelyn awakes to find Hannah has left with no reason. It's now thirty years later and Jocelyn and her daughter, Ruby have no choice but to move back in with her bitter estranged widowed mother after Jocelyn's husband died. Ruby and her grandmother quickly form a relationship. I don't want to say much more as I don't want to spoil it for you. The book does start as ...more
Dennis
The Nanny is my first read by Gilly Macmillan, and I'm not entirely sure why I've waited this long to read something by this notable author. It's getting harder and harder for thriller/mystery novels to succeed in this oversaturated market, especially when publishers are asking for new titles each year. The Nanny is a novel that is reminiscent of Ruth Ware's gothic-noir type of writing, infused with the character study of Liane Moriarty.

The Nanny takes place during two different time periods—current day
Corina
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nanny was my first book by Gilly Macmillan and my first thriller in a long time.

The audiobook was narrated by two female narrators and one male, who all did a marvelous job. From the very beginning I was divided between Jocelyn and her mother Virginia. Both were interesting characters, but the more the book advanced the more I was rooting for the mother.

Jo, was in an interesting situation. Her relationship with her mother has deteriorate ever since her nanny Hannah di
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book started out well and won my attention when all of the characters are introduced. I liked that each of the characters possesses his/her own unique personalities. I smiled at Detective Andy's humor on wealthy people and felt angry at Jo for her blind loyalty. This story was a page turner for me up until the middle of the book and then it began to drag. I don't enjoy all that arts stuff.

This book started with a prologue. Then the story begins, told in the third person point of
Lisa
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gilly Macmillan is now a favourite of mine in this Genre she wwrites a slow burn prose of a dysfunctional family with servants to boot ( i wish) and an arsy bartsy posh lifestyle, again (i wish) All in all a fabulous read for those who like family drama.
Highly recommend.
Mandy White
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nanny by Gilly MacMillan was a slow burn of a story but absolutely worth sticking with. The details are very cleverly revealed through the alternating points of view and times. The characters in this book are not particularly likeable and some are just evil - and don't we love that! Once I got into this book I really did have a hard time putting it down. The writing creates a very vivid picture of Lake Hall and the village and you feel as if you are there when reading it. An ending that I di ...more
Kristy
After the death of her husband, Jocelyn "Jo" must return home with her ten-year-old daughter, Ruby. His death has left her in financial trouble, and she has no choice but to head back to Lake Hall, the aristocratic home she shared with her parents when growing up. It's a far cry from California where she lived with Chris and Ruby, escaping a stifling childhood with her mother. Jo's happiest childhood memories involve her nanny, Hannah, but Hannah disappeared suddenly one summer when Jo was seven ...more
Fictionophile
In her late thirties, Jocelyn Holt is a recent widow. She and her ten-year-old daughter, Ruby, still grieving, move from California to the Wiltshire manor house where Jocelyn grew up.  Financially strapped, Jocelyn must depend upon the generosity of her widowed mother whom she has always found to be unloving and cold.

"To have a child whom you love but who does not love you back is a particularly intense and unrelenting source of pain."

She is surprised that her mother, Virginia, is quit/>"To
Lisa
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, librarything, print
The Nanny is a high-tension psychological thriller full of family secrets and mysterious characters

SUMMARY
Seven-year-old Jocelyn Holt was devastated when her beloved Nanny Hannah left her without a trace in the summer of 1988. Jocelyn grew up bitter and distant from her parents, and eventually left Lake Hall, her aristocratic home. Thirty years later, Jocelyn and her ten-year-old daughter Ruby, return to Lake Hall to recover after the death of her husband. There Joycelyn is forced to con
Liz Barnsley
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this from Gilly Macmillan, a tense and well paced psychological thriller with some interesting characters and unexpected moments.

I liked the "rich are different" feel to the narrative and the mystery of what happened to "The Nanny" is beautifully plotted. I love the descriptive nature of the storytelling and read it over two quick addictive sessions.

Full review nearer June publication.

Recommended.
Mandi1082
✨Brithanie Faith✨
4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Thirty years after her departure from Lake Hall, Jocelyn "Jo" Holt returns to her childhood home and is forced to confront the troubled relationship she has with her mother.

When human remains are accidentally uncovered in a lake on the estate- secrets from the past are slowly brought to light as Jo uncovers the truth of the unsettling events that lead up to the disappearance of her beloved nanny, Hannah.

I was not prep/>ARC
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Holy family drama batman! This is definitely one of this books that slowy, and sneakily creeps under your skin and settles itself in your bones.

You get lost in the mysterious old estate and feel the coldness of the stone walls and dark corridors.

You ache for the child who lives there that wishes her parents paid more attention to her, and slowly stew and brew feelings of hatred towards a mother who is bitter and unloving.

But thank goodness for the sweet, wonderful, carin
Laura Rash
I liked the idea of this one but it went off the rails a bit and was a tad predictable from the get go
Marianne
The Nanny is the fifth novel by British author, Gilly Macmillan. It's with great reluctance that recently widowed Jo Black returns to Lake House, her Pewsey Vale childhood home, with her ten-year-old daughter Ruby. The last thing she wants is to be beholden to Lady Virginia Holt, the mother she remembers without any fondness. But her husband Chris's death has left her homeless and temporarily without funds.

The person who featured most fondly in Jocelyn Holt’s childhood was Hannah, th
Stina
While I was expecting "something" from this book, THE NANNY delivered something very different from what I had imagined. It was compelling. It was masterful. It was just brilliant. Just WOW!

The story begins in 1987 with 7 year old Jocelyn waking one morning to find her nanny has disappeared overnight. She is devastated and distraught, for little Jocelyn adored her Nanny Hannah, and couldn't understand what she had done to make her leave so suddenly. Hannah Burgess had worked for the Holts
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
This is my third novel by Gilly Macmillan (one of which was just okay and one which I thought was phenomenal) and unfortunately, it completely missed the mark for me. This was a buddy read for me with Dennis and the theories I threw out before we even reached page 75 were ALL accurate. And I’m not a very good sleuth normally so that should tell you something.

The other issue for me was that this book was 400 pages. This is a story that absolutely could have been told in 300 or less (or apparentl
Ludwig
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gilly Macmillan triggers some of our primal fears and challenges everything we think we know in her new novel, The Nanny - Why do we tend to forget some of our childhood memories? Do we know our own mothers as well as we think we do? What are our loved ones really capable of?

Jocelyn goes back home and finds a skull - which she believes belongs to her old nanny, who disappeared without a trace 30 years ago.

Where did Nanny Hannah go?
What is Jo's mother not telling her?
What secrets are lurking in Lake Hall?

Shelby
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1987, Lord and Lady Holt employed a young woman named Hannah Burgess as a nanny for their young daughter, Jocelyn. One morning, Jocelyn wakes up only to discover her nanny has left in the night. When Jocelyn asks her mother why Hannah left, she says Hannah left because Jocelyn was such a bad child. And that has stayed with Jocelyn for decades.

Now 30-years later, Jocelyn (Jo) returns to Lake Hall with her 10-year old daughter Ruby. Jo’s husband unexpectedly died in a accident and since Jo was

• Dear Wife
  • The Dilemma
  • All Eyes on Us
  • Last Girl Lied To
  • The Blitz: The British Under Attack
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Runaway: Wild Child, Working Girl, Survivor
  • Vowed (The Blackhart Legacy, #2)
  • Queen Mum
  • Day of the Accident
  • The Black Madonna of Derby
Gilly Macmillan is the New York Times & Sunday Times bestselling author of THE NANNY (out in 2019). Also WHAT SHE KNEW (previously published as BURNT PAPER SKY in some territories), THE PERFECT GIRL, ODD CHILD OUT & I KNOW YOU KNOW.

Gilly is Edgar Award nominated and an ITW award finalist. Her books have been translated into over 20 languages.

She grew up in Swindon, Wiltshire a