Jump to ratings and reviews

The Crowns of Croswald #2

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow

Even a secret town cannot protect Ivy from a mysterious darkness...

Only hours after Ivy Lovely discovers that she is the fulfillment of the Moonsday promise, she is whisked away from her beloved school to Belzebuthe, a secret town for only those with magical blood.

Ivy sets out on a mission to uncover the second facet of the Kindred Stone while eluding the Dark Queen’s wrath. But even when she’s supposed to be safe, something is shadowing Ivy. She will need all her natural-born magic and more as she battles to find the rest of the Kindred Stone and return to the Halls of Ivy.

Before it’s too late...

5 books675 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (<1%)
1 star
3 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 609 reviews
Profile Image for Athena (OneReadingNurse).
665 reviews91 followers
April 24, 2019
This series is a definite must for anyone who enjoys a whimsical fantasy world. Picking up where book one left off, Ivy continues her scrivenist studies and pursuit of the Kindred Stone. I will unashamedly say that I liked this more than the first book too.

I love the world here so much. Learning, sketching, imagination and discovery are valued parts of scrivenist (and royal) training. The magical critters, plants, places, The Town, are all readily described and seem like they have limitless possibilites for further world building. The magic system is fairly straight foward - quills as spell casting tools - and the game version, Quogo, is just amazing and such a creative idea.

My slightest gripe is that (even though I know this is geared towards middle grade readers) the characters seem to act younger. I think Ivy is 16, Fyn is 19, and the banter seems like that of younger kids. I do like that the series takes a break from romances developing - the thought is thete but so far the characters have only blushed at each other. The solidifying friendships are a nice read, and I would just love to see Fyn and Ivy end up in some kind of big brother type relationship like (sorry) Harry and Hermione did. I hate to draw comparisons😂

Anyway I 100% recommend these books for anyone who is a fan of middle grade/YA type fantasy and fiction. Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland and fairytale lovers will love this!
Profile Image for Kelly.
292 reviews19 followers
May 20, 2022
Ivy Lovely has reached the end of her first year at the Hall of Ivy and instead of spending her summer with her best friend Rebecca she is getting sent off to The Town, indefinitely! Darwin has tasked her with finding the other pieces of the Kindred Stone and the Selector believes Ivy will be safe from the Dark Queen there. But something is off even in the safest place in Croswald; strange dark storm clouds are breaking through the Town's barrier and even though Ivy was told she'd not be returning to the Hall of Ivy, she receives a letter from the Selector bidding her return shortly after the new school year starts. Ivy returns only to discover the Selector never sent for her and that the Shades that were in The Town seem to have followed her as well. As Ivy works with Derwin to retrieve his memories of where he put the missing fragments of the stone, Ivy feels that the Dark Queen is close, planning another attack from the shadows.

There is no better feeling than when a title of a book makes sense, except when the author has cleverly weaved that moment into the story itself as Night has done with The Girl with the Whispering Shadow. The title of the book is introduced early on in this story, which was so unique that I was absolutely intrigued to figure out why Night had decided to do that. She did not let me down.

Ivy is still the amazing character she was in the first one. She makes a plan and she sticks to it even if the consequences could spell trouble for her. And her unwavering loyalty to her friends is wonderful. And in turn their loyalty to her. This book focuses a bit more on Fyn and Ivy's relationship and I enjoyed that especially since we find out more about Fyn's background and a connection his family has with the Kindred Stone. We are also introduced to a whole group of new friends with the QQC, it's a secret so you'll just have to read the book to find out what QQC stands for!

I am also 100% sure the Selector has to be a bad guy. She has to be working for the Dark Queen, she says she has to appear to be on her side but I think she's lying, I think she's totally on the Dark Queen's side.

In terms of pacing this was well done and followed the same formula as the first book, which I thought would kind of be annoying but I ended up enjoying it as we get introduced to all sorts of new creatures and magic from Croswald. My absolute favorite new magical creature this time has to be Silius (I hope I spelled that right) I'm really hoping we see more of him in book three!

Overall, a perfect second book with a fantastic cliffhanger ending that has left me excited to find out what happens next! Highly recommend it for fans of Kiki's Delivery Service and Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch! Also, since this is a middle-grade book this would make a perfect read along with the kiddos whether as a bedtime story or a buddy read.

Thank you to Netgalley and Stories Untold for the eArc, this review has been left voluntarily.

Blog
Facebook
Instagram
Profile Image for Shannara.
436 reviews80 followers
June 29, 2020
I will admit that I wasn’t in love with the first book in the series; mainly because I found myself making comparisons to other magical novels. Book two... it stands out in such an amazing, captivating way that I do not understand why everyone isn’t reading or talking about it!!

Ivy Lovely is our heroine and she is such a perfect main character, growing into her own and you really can’t help but love her. Our supporting characters can’t be forgotten either and I seriously adore them all for one reason or another. The Dark Queen is at times actually scary, along with her freaky entourage.

Once I hit that last 25% I just couldn’t draw myself away. I’m actually so excited about this book that I’m writing this review rather than getting some very much needed sleep. But I don’t want to give anything away, so just start on this series stat!!!

Thanks so much to Netgalley for providing a copy of this book for my honest and unbiased opinion.
Profile Image for Crystal.
145 reviews37 followers
April 15, 2021
First and foremost, I find this book series exciting and adventurous as an adult. With this being a middle school aged book, I believe it should be incorporated into all middle schools across the world. It's good versus evil. It has friendship. It has how to handle bullies. It has the makings of that first time teenage love. It has all the features that every parent would want their middle school child to read about, to love, and to enjoy.

It's nice to take a time out of adult fiction to get lost into the world that D.E. Night has created for 9-12 year olds. Ivy Lovely is the rightful Queen being sent away from the Halls of Ivy where it is no longer safe to Belzebuthe, a secret town for only those with magical blood, to continue to find the other pieces of the Kindred Stone. The Kindred Stone is the one thing that will be used against the Dark Queen. Ivy leaves the town of Belzebuthe to return to the Halls of Ivy, but there is something shadowing Ivy. Ivy and her friends battle Shades and Shadows during their journey.

I love Ivy. She has grown since Book 1 and is no longer the shy, clumsy girl. She is a strong character that I look forward to seeing her relationships to evolve with her bestfriend Rebecca and could be teenage love, Fyn. I love the magical work in general. The critters, the plants that scream, the Bearded Cloud that shows your worst fears, and the game of Quogo-brillant! I absolutely love all of it. I get lost in the world of Croswald every time! I will be waiting patiently for the third book to be published.

Thank you to Stories Untold and Netgalley for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Karen Hendry.
12 reviews14 followers
March 21, 2021
Thank you NetGalley for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Shortly after discovering that she is the one the Moonsday promise speaks of, Ivy Lovely is sent away from school to the hidden town of Belzebuthe.

Ivy is sent on a mission to discover the second portion of the Kindred Stone while trying to stop the Dark Queen from obtaining it herself. But even though she is supposed to be safe within the boundary of the town Ivy is shadowed by something. She will need all of the magic she has and more to find the rest of the Kindred Stone and return to school before time runs out.

What I liked about this book

I liked the introduction of new characters, who each brought a new element to the story.
The description of Belzebuthe was complex and with each new part of the town that was described I was eager to read more.
The unique creatures which (even when the name was an animal that I have heard of) had their own abilities which made them magical.
Ivy discovers new aspects of magic in this book which brings new situations to the story.

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is the second book in The Crowns of Croswald series. I love this series and can't wait to read the next book. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed the Harry Potter books.

5 Stars
✮✮✮✮✮

Find this review and others on my blog

Profile Image for Maureen.
577 reviews
December 3, 2018
Oh I just love it when second books live up to my hopes for them! I really enjoyed The Crowns of Croswald, and I was thrilled to win an arc of this second book in the series from the author, D.E. Night. I began reading and was instantly swept back into the world of Ivy Lovely. This time, we travel with her to new places, and meet fascinating new characters. It's full of just as much, if not more, adventure as the first, and delves deeper into old and new characters. All the while, Ivy is struggling to find her place in this world, and feeling inadequate, at times, in her ability to accomplish what she sees as her purpose.

I just can't say enough how important it is for young girls to have role models like this. I've recommended the first book to many middle grade students and they all loved the characters and the world in which they live. But at the same time, a few told me that they loved that the mc wasn't full of confidence at all times, and needed reassurance like they themselves often need. Ivy's very brave and takes on unbelievable challenges, but she's written so beautifully, that people of all ages will love her!! And of course, the world in which she lives! A must read!!
Profile Image for Carrie .
979 reviews450 followers
November 16, 2020
Welcome back to the world of Croswald.

This review contains spoilers if you have not read Book 1: The Crowns of Croswald.

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow the second instalment of D.E Night's The Crowns of Croswald series. And like the first book it did not disappoint.

The book basically starts days after the events of book 1, Ivy and Rebecca are getting ready to leave the Halls of Ivory for the summer. One going home the other, Ivy going to the town with no name, well it has a name but it is a secret and only those who live there or are going there know it. You can not find this town on your own you have to go by cabby. It is protected from the outside world, it where the many of the scrivenist live in safety to practice magic.

But things are happening in the town, shades are being scene and quills are being stolen. Ivy has been sent there to find the next stone and to keep her safe from the Dark Queen but how safe can she be if things are happening in the town that hasn't happened before. Is the Dark Queen getting closer to finding her? To find the stone?

The Girl with the Whispering Shadow like book 1 screams Harry Potter vibes, we are introduce to a game that that scrivenist play involving their quills and and the quills of past scivenists. With that we get introduced to a greater cast of characters, ones I'm sure we will see again in future books, ones that play a big role in this particular one.

So back to the Harry Potter vibes, I can see this series blowing up. This could be the Harry Potter, and it should be,I hope for D.E Night and all booklovers and Harry Potter fans it does.

Over all I really enjoyed this book, and I love this series thus far. One day they will be at home on my bookcase. A solid 4.5 stars.

*I was given a copy in exchange for review

I Can Has Books?
Profile Image for Harishma.
81 reviews59 followers
April 9, 2021
The Girl with the Whispering Shadow by D.E. Night is a book for middle graders. I would like to first thank the publisher, author and Netgalley for providing me with a reader's copy in return for an honest review. I couldn't enjoy this as much as I did the first novel but this one is a unique piece on its own. I loved the world building and the plot was mesmerizing. The ending made me want to pick up the third book immediately. I'm not much into middle grader fantasy but this was good. However I did feel that this dragged a bit. I would rate this a 3 star and I really hope to read the next novel in this great trilogy.
Profile Image for Megan Rivera.
401 reviews58 followers
August 27, 2020
A great sequel and a great fantasy series. I really enjoyed this book.
Profile Image for Emily.
29 reviews17 followers
July 17, 2022
This book was honestly a little slow for me. It was still interesting, but it seemed like the story was just dragging in a few places. I will say that I did enjoy the addition of the new characters and Ivy’s secret club too. It was also nice to see the previous characters like Fyn and Rebecca back. One thing I did really like was the secret town. It was really cool to read about and was a fun addition. Overall, I enjoyed the book, but the ending was a little slow for me.
Profile Image for Athina Demon.
62 reviews35 followers
January 10, 2019

Let me start by saying that, I loved the first book, all characters were likable and the plot was good enough but the one thing that bothered me was how much it reminded me of Harry Potter. Even though it’s clear that the author is inspired by Rowling’s world, in the 2nd book, we finally see aspects of Croswald that completely distinguishes it from Hogwarts. Loved the game “Quogo” and how they use their quills, which even though resembles wands, their way of practicing magic is completely different! Point is, I was so glad to see Croswald taking a form of its own✨

Furthermore, we got to see Ivy growing up, evolving into a real queen that embraces her magic rather than hiding it in fear! It’s interesting to see how she grows up, facing whatever fate has in store for her. The highlight of the book was how the title clicks in the whole plot, not gonna say any more though, you gotta read it 🤭There is a subtly lovestory as well, I loved to see Fyn and Ivy getting close but not yet “that” close, that slow burn is everything and I do ship them haha. Of course, I’ve got to complement the author on her amazing writing skills and narration. The chapter were quite small and plot development was based on dialogue so that helped a lot and the pages just flew by!

All in all, it was such a good sequel to the first installment and a huge improvement in both narration and plot development! I really like where this story is going ❤️

Thank you D.E. Night and the publication for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

IG : @abookishdemon
Profile Image for Looking for a book.
83 reviews12 followers
May 16, 2020
First of all, thanks to Netgally for giving me the ebook in exchange of my honest opinion 😊 I just recently read the first one and I was eager to continue this magical middle grade series.

In this continuation we follow the direct consequences of Ivy's discoveries at the end of the first book, she's the last heir to the throne, the only one with royal blood, descendant of princess Isabella herself. That's why the Dark Queen wants to destroy her, but she has to find the missing pieces of the Kindred Stone first.

Derwin sends Ivy to Belzebuthe, the only magical place where she'll be safe, and she's staying with Fyn!😏 Her summer it's going to be a little different than she expected. However, she quickly gets used to the new town, finding out about all the secrets that its permanent star sky holds. In addition, she joins the Quality Quills Club with Fyn's friends, discovering Quogo. Even though she can't return to class next year, and that makes her really sad, she's not going to be bored, that's for sure.

La verdad es que este libro me ha gustado más que el primero, se ve una evolución en el estilo de la escritora y también en los personajes, que por fin parecen algo más maduros. Me encanta cómo se expande el mundo y el sistema mágico, en especial me ha encantado el Quogo, que son una especie de duelos mágicos super emocionantes y que el club de amigos de Ivy realiza algo ilegalmente JAJAJ Además la ambientación de la ciudad secreta me ha fascinado, te atrapa de lleno.

I have truly enjoyed this sequel better than the first book, you can see improvements in the writing and the characters, that finally seem more mature. I love how the world expands and also the magic system, specially Quogo (oh yeah illegal magical duels?! GIVE ME MORE OF THAT).

As for the romance it goes too slow... the only thing that happened between them is that they blushed hahaha.

En resumen, esta segunda parte ha superado a la primera y me ha dejado con un buen sabor de boca para continuar con la saga. No es lo mejor que he leído de fantasía, pero es entretenido y tiene conceptos originales, quizá si tirara más a juvenil me gustaría más. Le doy un 3,75/5🌟

Overall, this sequel was better and left me wanting more. It's not the best I've read, but it's entertaining and has original concepts. Maybe if it was more YA I would like it better. 3,75/5🌟
Profile Image for Muskan | The Quirky Reader.
182 reviews60 followers
September 13, 2020
This is the 2nd book in the series and takes us back to the magical land of Croswald and the Halls of Ivy. Things are still rough since what happened at the masquerade ball and protecting Ivy is of utmost importance now. As the only home she has ever known has been deemed unsafe, she is sent to the place where it is impossible for any outsider to step it.
If I didn’t adore this world already in book 1, I do now! This one was much more intense and more plot oriented, sort of like every piece coming closer to each other to form a whole. This book had so much more depth and soul, unlike the last one which was more about world building and Ivy finding her place.
The title for this one was very intriguing to me and when I fully grasped the meaning of it, it blew me away! The real intents of the Dark Queen became much clearer in this book and so the plot picked up quickly.
I loved Ivy in book 1 but this one had so many other characters taking the light as well, especially Fyn and Rebecca. I loved both of them and I hope to see them taking charge in the upcoming books.
I loved this one and I recommend it to people new to reading and the ones who like Middle Grade/YA fantasy.
I received an ARC for this book in exchange of an honest review.
Profile Image for Haadiya.
147 reviews74 followers
February 17, 2021
Thank you so much to Stories Untold for providing me with a copy of The Girl With the Whispering Shadow, in exchange for an honest review!

Please note The Girl With the Whispering Shadow is book 2 in the Crowns of Croswald series, so there may be spoilers for book 1, The Crowns of Croswald in my review.

After the Dark Queen’s attack at the school ball, Ivy is sent to Belzebuthe, a secret town for those who have magical blood. Belzebuthe is the only place where Ivy is safe from the Dark Queen’s reach, but that doesn’t stop Ivy from setting out on a mission of her own: she must find the missing pieces of the Kindred Stone and embrace her own magic if she is to have a chance at fulfilling the Moonsday promise and defeating the Dark Queen. Ivy is not alone in her adventure. She can count on the help of her shapeshifting friend Rebecca and Fyn, the boy she is falling in love with, as well as other friends she meets in Belzebuthe.

Ivy begins to embrace her magic and her destiny, which is to collect the missing pieces of the Kindred Stone and defeat the Dark Queen.

The world-building and magic system, which I enjoyed in the first book, continue to shine and build in this book. Although there were still some spots that read slow to me, there was an improvement in the pacing from the last book as well.

The beginning briefly confused me but was quickly forgotten as I delved deeper into Belzebuthe’s magical winter wonderland and its mystical matellers and scrivenist’s. I swooned at the flights of romance filled with enchanted stargazing and was wonderstruck by ‘Quintons Brews and Hodgepodge’ – antiquated apothecary of potions and creatures. Hodge and Podge (both dwarves) are my new favourite characters with their sharp wit and sassy brotherly relationship, their magical battle made me laugh out loud! The fiercely entertaining quogo matches had me enraptured, especially by the ghostly visions and daring spells. I enjoyed that we got to learn more in depth about Ivy and the Quality Quill’s Club members and their differing relationships with each other and the magical world outside of Croswald.

All in all, I genuinely enjoyed this sequel. You know how sometimes the first book is the best and every book that follows pales in comparison? I am thrilled to say that that is not the case here! Night’s craft is more finely honed and the effort clearly shows in the pages of this book. So, if you want a potion war between feuding dwarves, an inevitable swan, and, yes, even more evil unicorns, I’d say you came to the right place.

While I admit that there are a few points that could perhaps benefit with tweaking, there are others that would no doubt think I am being fussy. I can say that the world is full of action, loveable characters and a well thought out magical format that will appeal to many creative minds. If you’ve not already done so, The Crowns of Croswald is definitely worth checking out.D.E. Night
Profile Image for Sabrina.
601 reviews63 followers
May 24, 2020
"You can be trapped in a castle, trapped in a scaldonry. Trapped by people. But the worst is being trapped by fear."

It's always great when a sequel not only lives up to, but outdoes its predecessor! Returning us to the world of scrivenists (mages who channel magic through quills), 'The Girl with the Whispering Shadow' (incredible title) is just as full of ingenious and refreshingly original magical concepts as 'The Crowns of Croswald', with even more of the lovable characters, subtly chilling foreboding and hilarious moments that I enjoyed in Book 1.

One of my favourite things was the introduction of a popular scrivenists' game called 'Quogo' - eat your heart out, Quidditch! Quogo is almost like a magical RPG (role-playing game), where players battle it out with the spectres of retired or deceased scrivenists, using their decommissioned quills. I also loved the Quality Quills Club (where can I sign up?!), a secret society of amateur Quogo players run by our wonderful Fyn Greeley. I loved the dynamic within this friendship group, spiced up by the new additions of Ivy and Rebecca to its ranks, and they had so much great banter between them. Each QQC member felt realistic, especially after a certain accidental catastrophe, and I really look forward to seeing more of them in Book 3! This was a very well-written rendition of a found-family trope, if that's one you enjoy.

Speaking of character love, I have to include a tribute specifically to my favourites, Fyn and Rebecca! They're so loyal to Ivy but never come across as sycophants or merely foils, and yet again, Rebecca (in multiple scenes) proves herself an MVP in this squad. Fyn cracks me up so much with his sarcasm, and I'm completely invested in the adorable slow-burn between him and Ivy! I also grew to like Ivy more in this one - while some of her actions in the first book felt at times out of character, this book is where she really comes into her own and grows in confidence, maturity and just all around personality palpability.

Deep down, Ivy knew who she was: a slurry girl turned royal, an orphan denied her family's right, with the magic of the moon settled inside her, and now, the newest and proudest member of the Quality Quills Club. Her new family.

Great twists abound, with hints dropped here and there to amp up the apprehension, and several were rather disquieting.

I bring into being an orbis. Break her bones; use her for stew, sweet orbis; I challenge you. Let the magic she wields be left unspoken, her soul be harmed and deftly broken. The taste of her blood a fair token.
In general, this book's 'horror' level feels middle-grade to YA, but there were certainly some moments (like that one above) that gave me 'Criminal Minds'-type chills. The Dark Queen definitely feels more genuinely threatening in this book compared to the first, and we learn a bit more about her motives that clarify scenes in the first book.

"You let go of that stone, I let go of his life."

There were also plenty of new spells, creatures and even careers introduced - my favourite one being a teledetector matteler, a sort of teleporting magical police/CSI officer who can travel to crime scenes through mentally connecting through a scene sketch. I really like the style of magic in this series, it's very whimsical and strong on wordplay, which is right up my alley.

"Broken promises are one of the land's most bitter ingredients - great for a sundry of repellents."
"In another school, spelling might mean putting together letters to make words. At the Halls, spelling means putting together letters to make words to make spells."

If you're a 'Harry Potter' fan, or on the hunt for more magical boarding school stories, I really recommend diving into this series! Following that slight cliffhanger (and its link to the title of Book 3), I'm so hyped for 'The Words of the Wandering', out May 30! Not long now before I can return to Croswald...

Thank you to Stories Untold LLC and Netgalley for a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Profile Image for Ioana Maria.
175 reviews24 followers
December 16, 2020
I received an e-book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to read the second installment of this series.

While reading the first book I fell in love with the world of Crosswald and the magical system, the characters and all the creatures imagined. So, of course, I had high expectations and also a high level of curiosity for the second one and it did not disappoint. It was just as fun, if not more, and just as filled of magic and adventures.
It's a middle grade book but it does not feel like it because the writing gets even better, it's fluid and well-paced and it gets you immersed in the world and super invested in the story. The characters also feel like they grow up with this second installment. I also really enjoy the magical system of Crosswald, I think it's well thought and super creative - all the names of places, spells and characters (I think this just makes the overall feel of the story very magical and beautiful - you can just imagine it).
In this second part of the Crosswald series the plot thickens. I love that every other chapter there is a new adventure that just makes the story grow. We get a lot of answers but we also, start asking new questions and now I am just asking myself how is this going to pan out. I am so curious!

There were times though, when I felt like there was some repetitiveness or exaggerated reactions from the main character. I do have to keep in mind that this is actually a middle grade book and the characters are not adults, but I still felt it was a bit over the top. However that did not distract me from the story and I think in some ways and at certain times it did highlight the friendships development between the characters.

All in all, I think The Girl with the Whispering Shadow has stepped up to the plate and even, overpassed my expectations. It was magical, it was fun and I laughed more times than I expected (I usually don't laugh at books, I don't know I am just weird like that). The plot gets more intriguing and we are definitely kept on our toes with all of Ivy's adventures. The characters are diverse and complex and the writing is beautiful. I recommend you try this series, you'll love it and if you are a fan of Harry Potter you'll find it even more enjoyable!
Profile Image for Eileen.
1,857 reviews71 followers
August 5, 2021

This is a much stronger book than the first one, and even though parts of it were predictable because I couldn't help making comparisons to Harry Potter, there were enough parts of it that were unique to this world that kept it fresh and interesting. Usually, second books are hit or miss in terms of how they compare to the first book, but in this case, it felt like the author is really hitting her stride. I also laugh at how long it took me to figure out the connection between Ivy's scrivener's name and the author, lol! There's another series I read last year where the author uses her name as one of the characters and something about that really tickles me. This story is definitely geared to a younger audience than Harry Potter, but it's crafted together well. Sometimes there's a disconnect in the way the students act in this book and the ages they must be (15 for Ivy and Rebecca, 18 for Fyn and his friends), but I didn't mind that at all. I loved some of the imaginative elements in this story, especially Silius, and the way part of the stone was hidden (no spoilers) was really interesting. I love the growing friendship between Ivy and Fyn and Ivy and Rebecca and watching Rebecca's skills at shapeshifting develop was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to continuing with this series and if this second book is any indication, I'm going to be plowing through the rest of the books as they become available.

I received a review copy from the publishers for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Profile Image for Cody.
211 reviews1 follower
September 12, 2021
The girl with the whispering shadow | D E Night
>I had the pleasure of reading this due to a gifted e-copy from @netgalley and @storiesuntold in exchange for an honest review. I found myself instantly swept back into the magical realms from the very first page right back to where I left off from the last one! Scrivenist studies, stone pursuits and mischief alike! I liked this one better than the first!! To start, Ivy finds herself being sent to the ‘town’ - a secret place that’s always night and only for magical blood, to keep her safe and hidden from the dark queen. Studies aside, her real mission via letter is to find the second part of the Kindred stone and due to Derwin’s jumbled memories she doesn’t know where to even look! After being lured back to the halls by dark magic, she finds herself back and forth memory lane with Derwins grand glangerie plan and facing her biggest fear.. the dark queen! Whilst desperately trying to unlock Derwins forgotten memory and stay out of trouble, the clues begin to unfold and the search for the second piece of kindred stone continues. Ivy finds herself fronted by danger at every turn and is being followed by this mystery dark shadow.. This book is exactly like the last, full of imagination! It’s again, all your childhood fairytales combined yet this one has stand out uniqueness with an edge. It’s adventures within adventures.. from bearded clouds full of fear to quogo magic games gone wrong.. don’t get me started on the invisible rideable creatures! Ivy has truly blossomed from book 1 and is learning to embrace her magic for the greater good. The last part of this book was just unputdownable and I cannot wait to continue the magical ride of book 3!
Profile Image for Anne's Bookish Travels.
345 reviews16 followers
March 7, 2022
I was given a free ebook of this book by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

review of the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

This is a well-made sequel; though it was predictable at times, it was still a quick and enjoyable read getting more and more suspenseful as Ivy’s story progressed. The second book picks up where the first book left off, at the end of the school year, and Ivy is about to leave the Halls of Ivy. She’s going to spend her summer holidays in Belzebuthe, the secret hidden town that lies protected from the Dark Queen behind magic clouds. Ivy’s staying with her friend, Fyn, and discovers more of her magic, the Town and its magic, the world, the past, and her family’s history. She makes new friends, joins a club where they use old quills to battle each other (which was a bit confusing at first), and looks for a way to find the second fragment of the Kindred Stone.

It was interesting to learn more about the magic system, what happened in the past, the Dark Queen’s plan, Ivy’s role, the prophecy, seeing Ivy grow and become more confident in using her magic. There are also new mysteries; dangerous quills disappearing from their prison, a girl with a whispering shadow, someone helping the Dark Queen get closer and closer to Ivy and the Kindred Stone. The second part of the book was exciting and suspenseful, making me look forward to the next two books in the series.

Anne
Profile Image for Avani ✨.
1,526 reviews303 followers
December 5, 2020
The Girl with the Whispering Shadow is the second book in The Crowns of Croswald by D.E. Night. The trilogy is a middle grade fantasy novel with magic involved and a magical school, Croswald the main lead Ivy goes too.

I read the first book and really enjoyed it. The book flew by even faster than the first one and I can sense this only as a bridge between the first and the ending novel. But never the less I am very excited to see how the third and the final book comes by. The first book ended with the school's masquerade ball with The Dark Queen trying to destroy Ivy.

The story starts we Ivy not being able to spend her summer with her best friend, and instead is taken a new town - Belzebuthe, a secret town for only those with magical blood. In this also we see Ivy running from The Dark Queen and also simultaneously finding the Kindred Stone.

We see relationship between Ivy and Fyn more stronger and growing closer in this book. I enjoyed the first book more than this one. I am sure book 3 is going to be even better than both these and just the perfect end to the series. We definitely see more of the Croswald and world building in this book. But never the less, I felt the execution for the first one was so much better.
Profile Image for Faultsareus.
58 reviews2 followers
January 28, 2021
The best part about this book is definitely THE TOWN. Wow just wow. The magical and unique description of Belzebuthe town was beautiful and amazing. I loved the whole concept of wishing stars and catching them, it's what inspired this picture. You'll have to read to find out more.
Another thing I absolutely loved is the Quogo matches. These are like magical duels.

I loved how the overall plot turned out. The villain remained the same but danger comes in another form. Lot of significant events happened in this book.

I had a hard time concentrating on this book than the first. I found shifting POVs in a couple of places a bit confusing again. As far as character development goes there's hardly any from the first book, it felt like the characters didn't learn anything from the events in the first book. Though I must say there was definitely development in the relationships.

The thing I found most irritating was that Ivy's identity is apparently not a secret and yet I don't understand why the secrets are a big deal when she herself goes a divulges her life story 🙄 There wasn't much suspense in this book.

Thankyou to the publisher #StoriesUntoldPress for providing with the eARC in exchange for my honest review
Profile Image for Drew Taylor.
Author 3 books80 followers
September 10, 2021
*this book was given to me as an eARC by the author and publisher via NetGalley*

Another whimsical, captivating read by D.E. Night! While the first book reminded me of Alice in Wonderland x Harry Potter, this book reminded me of Peter Pan x Harry Potter. It was full of adventure from beginning to end.

We get to explore new characters in Night’s second Croswald novel, and they do not disappoint. Everyone can find a character they connect with (me personally with Derwin himself). The plot line is steady and keeps the reader’s interest peaked — wandering “what happens next?”

The only criticism I have is that it is just a little *too* much like HP. There were so many connections I made between HP and this series, so some of it feels unoriginal. Regardless, it’s still a fun read for people of all ages really, but especially Middle Grade!
Profile Image for Ashlin.
75 reviews5 followers
May 19, 2021
After reading the first book in this series, I have to say, this book was amazing. It was everything I was wanting out of a second book and I think the author did an amazing job.

If you enjoy fantasy, I not only recommend this book but the authors entire series. I will say this is a high fantasy book so there is a lot of words and parts of this book that was hard for me to pronounce. I was planning on reading this with my son but it truly is one of those books that you should read to yourself. This is not a knock to the book, but you must be fine with not 100% being able to pronounce things.

I love the world and magic that the author has created. I think this a wonderful book for anyone that loves fantasy and it reminds me a lot of harry potter.
Profile Image for Janne Janssens.
174 reviews61 followers
September 21, 2020
I wish I could have read this series as a kid. I am sure it would have been one of my favorite series!
The world building is so magical and perfect to escape real life. The characters are colorful and lovable and unique. I would definitely like to spend more time in this world.
My only criticism is that the story start to unroll rather late. I feel like I was already halfway through the book before things really started happening. But the second half was so action packed, it made up for the first part.
I definitely recommend this book to children and middle graders!
Profile Image for Tiffany Martin.
324 reviews2 followers
February 22, 2021
Ivy, rightful Queen and heir of Croswald, must find the second piece of the long lost Kindred Stone. But with the Dark Queen out to get her and a shadow that seems to be lurking everywhere she goes, can Ivy find it before someone she cares about gets hurt or even killed?

This is the second book in “The Crowns of Croswald” children’s fantasy series and I was so thrilled to return to this magical, snow filled world! In this novel, I loved visiting the secret town of Belzebuthe where it is always night and you can literally “fish” for lowly hung stars (to make a wish on). How amazing is that?

I adore Ivy’s friends but Fyn and Rebecca are my favorites, and this time, Rebecca won me over because she can turn into a dragon! I also loved the new creatures we meet in this one. The Invisitaurs are so cool and I love the fact that they are invisible!

Honestly, this second book was superior to the first! It was full of adventure, danger, and mystery! You get to learn all about a new magical sporting event, called Quogo, and the tournaments are much like attending a football game with family and friends!

I thoroughly loved this story and highly recommend it if you are looking for a wintery, magic school, middle grade series! The characters are lovely, the settings are beautiful and the Dark Queen is mysterious! I can’t wait to see what happens next in this amazing fantasy world!

Thank you so much Netgalley, Stories Untold, and D.E. Night for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Emery .
123 reviews6 followers
June 8, 2019
“The most wondrous things, the most impossible of things, are often just ordinary things doing what they are best at.”
I enjoyed this book even more than the first one. It is a quick and easy read and clean as well.
Ivy is a relatable and like-able heroine and the friendships in the book are really sweet. Even her crush is not prominent enough to be annoying.
The plot is interesting and fun and while certain aspects of the story are cliche it is easy to overlook because the story setting is so creative. I loved the whole Whispering Shadow plot line. The Quogo matches were creative and I really liked what they added to the story.
I also liked it that is wasn’t always completely up to Ivy to save the day. There is a moment near the end of the book in the Town with Gretta that I loved.
The Town with all its fascinating shops was one of my favorite parts and the chapter where they are fishing for stars on the rooftop was easily my favorite. And I really wanted a fudge filled cracker hat. They sounded so good.
If you love fairytales you would love this book. It is teeming with magical enchantment and for someone who can never have enough of well written fantasy this book quickly became a favorite.
I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Nahid.
365 reviews16 followers
August 12, 2019
I was expecting a lot more originality in the magic system and plot and felt like those both fell short. While the story is technically different than Harry Potter, there were way too many similarities that it turned me slightly off. Examples: both have short professors that have to stand on a stack of books, the memory glanagerie one on one sessions with Ivy is similar to the ones Harry had with Shape, the caddy is similar to the night bus, the orbis is similar to the troll in the girls bathroom, Gretta’s situation was somewhat similar to Ginny’s in the Chamber of Secrets, the mattelers are similar to the aurors, and the quills club is similar to dumbledore’s army.

Near the end of the book, there is a battle scene between many people and one bad thing (don’t want to give spoilers to what it is). It could have been concluded that coming together ended this bad thing, which is what I was hoping for and I think would have made a great ending, but instead one person (the mc) saved the rest, which seems too typical.

The book itself isn’t bad, which is why I gave it three stars. There is decent plot development and I was able to finish it but I wish it expanded the magic system from the first book and had a lot less similarities to Harry Potter.
Profile Image for Muskan | The Quirky Reader.
182 reviews60 followers
August 11, 2020
Profile Image for Natalie  all_books_great_and_small .
2,031 reviews69 followers
December 9, 2018
This series gets better and better!
Another fantastic read from D.E. Night!
If you love Harry potter you must give this series a read!
D.E. Nights books are so detailed and intriguing and play like a movie through your mind! I can honestly say this is the best series I've read in a long time. I can see it being made into films (but if so they'd better give the book justice and not be changed!).
I cannot wait to find out what happens in the series next and where Ivy's adventures take us and read more about the QQC (quality quills club).
Displaying 1 - 30 of 609 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.