Start by marking “C'era una volta un lupo” as Want to Read:
C'era una volta un lupo

C'era una volta un lupo

(Wayward Wolves #1)

Le giornate di Gibson Keller sono piuttosto monotone: si sveglia presto, fa qualche lavoretto, beve litri di caffè, e si prende cura del fratello maggiore Ellis, intrappolato nella sua forma di lupo da quando è tornato dalla guerra. È una vita semplice, fatta di lunghe corse su due gambe – o quattro – e serate tranquille… finché Ellis non insegue un bell’uomo giù da un dir ...more
Published October 8th 2018 by Dreamspinner Press (first published February 16th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about C'era una volta un lupo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C'era una volta un lupo

* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Hearts

I quite enjoyed this understated foray into the shifter world by Rhys Ford. It’s not a light your pants on fire type of romance, nor filled to the brim with her descriptive prose, but it's still a decent start to a new series.

As per the blurb, Zach inadvertently runs across a huge wolf and straight into the arms of said wolf’s human brother Gibson. It wouldn’t be a Ford story if there wasn’t at least insta-lust and this was no different. However, it takes some time for Zach to wrap his
Line
SO, Rhys Ford has done it again!
She has written an introduction to a series, I'm pretty sure will be fantastic.
But that is also one of my niggles with this: it does feel a wee bit like an introduction.
It is a novella, and I understand that she was finishing up Miki's story (with a lot of words) so she wanted something lighter, which I think is a pretty apt description of this story.

I really did enjoy this a lot, so it wasn't the biggest 'issue', but I did notice that it was not a comprehensive
DarienMoya
~ONCE UPON A FAIRYTALE~

Now wait a whole damn minute...

Rhys Ford wrote this?

That’s what you’re trying tell me…this short with it’s quiet intensity was written by the same author that gives me crazy per book. This sweet fairytale romance was written by Rhys 🤯. Like “Once Upon a Wolf” is an actual gay fairytale.

Zack is having a bad day when his leisure stroll lands him in the path of a gigantic bigger than any wolf he’s ever seen, his fear kicks in and he takes off running. Running might not have
Jewel
I've been looking forward to this new shifter series, by Rhys Ford ever since I found out it was upcoming. I mean, I love the worlds that Ford creates and I'm always left wanting the next book, and that certainly is the case here.

Once Upon a Wolf is a good start to this new series. I loved the world-building and the predicament Ellis was in and how he basically instigated a relationship between his brother, Gibson, and their new neighbor, Zach. It felt original.

This is a short book, however, an
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

Confession time: the first time I listened to this book I was a little... buzzed. I had a lot of wine and listened to this book while doing chores (yes, I'm a party animal), and I found it... a bit confusing.

So after a day went by, I listened to the book again (totally sober this time!)... and I still found it to be a bit confusing.

I felt like there was a backstory or prequel I was missing. Zach stumbles upon these guys, but then it turns out he actually moved nearby and knows every
Lost in a Book
2.5 Stars

I LOVE Ellis. I love his wolfish shenanigans, the mystery of his story, and how far he came throughout... the problem is that it isn’t Ellis’ story. I think?

huh.gif

Gibson is a wolf shifter that lives with his brother (Ellis) in a mountain cabin. One day Ellis decides to play a game of chase with an unsuspecting stranger… except the stranger is terrified and slips down the mountain. Luckily, Gibson is able to rush to the aid of the badly injured Zach.

Zach is the new neighbor that purchased a be
Karen
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wolves on audio...it's a thing...who knew...

Well actually I'm pretty sure we all did but for me this one was a must...it's by Rhys Ford and she's totally a favorite of mine. So needless to say there were no real surprises here because...I've read the book already and as far as the story goes as far as the story goes my original review still holds true so, I'm going to borrow from it in regards to the story...here goes...

First off let's chat a bit about the main characters and their relationshi
BWT (Belen)
3.5 Stars

Once Upon a Wolf is the first novella of the Wayward Wolves series, it's pretty fluffy for Rhys Ford, and she has assured readers that all of the books in the series will "fit" into one another.

I really liked all of the characters, and there's a sweet HEA to be found at the end, but I wish more time had been spent on the romantic relationship development. I didn't mind that this is sort of a low steam romance, but not really slow burn, because there's an instant connection between Gibs
Susan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, gbr, mm, shifters
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.7 Stars

I liked it, but I didn't love it.

The narration was good, even if it not being by Greg threw me off; I have this automatic assumption that he performs all of the audio for Rhys - which is wrong, obviously - but it kept creeping into my brain that I was listening to Not-Greg, and then I would get distracted. For that reason I'm going to put it on the re-read shelf for actual reading at a later date to see if the change in medium affects my rating.

Don't get me wrong - there was NOTHING inh
Adam
In my opinion, novellas work best when they are simple and to the point. This book just didn't do it for me.

I can appreciate that Rhys Ford wanted to build the shifter world and give some backstory, but it didn't translate well in such a short amount of page space. There were different threads that were brought up suddenly, explained roughly, and then just sort of forgotten as the story moved on to the next thing.

Zach and Gibson were cute enough, but I wasn't invested in their relationship. Thei
Karen
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 wolfish stars rounded down to 3 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR wolfish or otherwise...

Soooo...I'm not really a big fan of shifter books but...

I am a big fan of Rhys Ford which meant that this was a must read for me. I was a little slower to get into this story but there was still a lot about this one that I came to really like.

First off let's chat a bit about the main characters and their relationship...I liked the way Gibson and Zach's relationship developed as a slow burn against
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

This was ok for me. I liked the story ok, but the insta-love/connection was a little much. The trust that Gibson put into Zach so quickly seems far fetched and the fact that they both have an instant attraction to the other while Zach is half dead after falling in the lake, just wasn't realistic. It was cute and enjoyable seeing Gibson and Ellis interact, and then seeing how Zach reacted to Ellis. I love shifter books and this on
Joyfully Jay
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jay
Updated for audiobook review:
Read Elizabeth’s review in its entirety here.

A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

I am a huge fan of Rhys Ford’s writing so I was really excited for her first foray into shifters with this first book in her Wayward Wolves series. As always, Ford’s writing is descriptive and evocative and these characters and their surroundings just leap off the page. I love the twist on shifters Ford has created here, with a slightly different take on the normal lore. Even just small things
Gabriella (Gabi)
It sounded promising. This was my second shifter book, and it wasn't what I expected.
Zach wasn't really freaked out about learning that werewolves do exist, I expected him to be more surprised, or something. Of course at the time he was incapable of moving much.
There was an insta-lust at the beginning (which okay, wolves, duh), but that has been put on the back-burner, due to more important matters (saving the brother from himself). And then there was the fact, that after two encounters Zach f
Meep
Mar 04, 2018 marked it as i-ll-return-mayhaps  ·  review of another edition
If only this was a full length book, unfortunately as a novella it's over-reaching.
The world appears interesting enough but this is all introduction setting up for the series; I don't feel the story has started. Lots of possibilities hinted at, the future series looks interesting, but on it's own account the book doesn't give much.

My main issue is there's too much fit in, for it to work it would need more focus. We learn about Ellis, Ellis appears interesting there's clearly plenty story there.
JenMcJ
I liked it. For an instalove shifter story it was good but by no means original. I'm about ten minutes past closing the book and I already can't remember the MC names.

But I do remember Ellis. He overshadowed the whole book. I'm much more intrigued by Ellis
Cadiva
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

This is a novella length which means Rhys Ford has a lot of work to do in both establishing the world building for the start of a new series but also giving the reader a fully rounded romance with the main characters here. I think, in the main, this is achieved and achieved well.

I liked the twist on the werewolf trope and the way in which she approached the set-up for what's going to be a connected set of characters and I liked both Gibson and Zach, the romantic pairing. I loved Ellis, Gibso
Kathleen
I like my shifter stories a lot darker and more gritty. This book had very little substance and Ford’s typical “why say it in five words when I can say it in 15 or 20”. Too light and sweet for me. And it really needed a thorough copyedit.
Mathilda Grace
Da kauft man sich ein Häuschen im Grünen, spaziert gemütlich durch den Wald und wird mal eben von einem riesigen Wolf in den nächsten See gejagt – so hatte sich Zach seinen Tag eigentlich nicht vorgestellt, als er splitternackt auf der Couch von Gibson und dessen Bruder Ellis zu sich kommt, halb erfroren und offensichtlich mit Halluzinationen. Wie soll er sich sonst erklären, dass der Wolf kein Wolf, sondern ein Mensch ist, der sich nicht richtig wandeln kann?

Ein toller Anfang in eine schöne Win
Natalie
3.5 Stars
Rhys Ford did tell her reader group that she wanted to write something sweet, and since it’s her...werewolves! The story actually is pretty sweet and there’s no mystery and no one dies. It doesn’t mean everything is sunshine and roses. Zach and Gibson, and Ellis, were engaging characters, as was the mutual hurt/comfort storyline. A fair amount of world building is fit into novella form, grounded in the present, where people think lycanthropes are not real. I didn’t find the explanation
Aerin
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, part-of-a-series

I've always hoped Rhys Ford would write a shifter book, because no one can do savage and murderous better than her. I finally got my wish....kind of. Once Upon A Wolf wasn't exactly what I expected, and while Rhys pulled me into the book with her amazing gift of storytelling, I feel like something was missing.

Once Upon A Wolf feels to me more like the introduction to Ellis and the prequel to his book, rather than the love story of Zach and Gibson. Their budding relationship took second
Christy
The cold was swallowing him whole, a ravenous snake consuming him as prey. A darkness as thick as the menacing shadow in the trees began to take him, and as the not-quite-frozen lake stole the life from his body, he saw the wolf mount the boulder, throw its head back, and cast out an eerie, haunting cry.

I never, ever, ever thought Rhys Ford would write a paranormal shifter story. Not because she thinks she’s better than that or anything, oh hell no, but more because I have a small glimmer of how
Diane Dannenfeldt
I absolutely loved this start of a new series by one of my favorite authors. I also love the fact that she has moved into the shifter area. I admired Zach for accepting the brothers for who they are. Yes he was frightened at first, who wouldn’t be, but it didn’t stop him. I also liked the slow moving to sexy times. First it would have been just wrong doing it where Ellis could hear. And not only that, Ellis has come back from the war totally messed up. I loved how Zach help Gibson work to bring ...more
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Gibson is taking care of his brother who’s mental damaged and stuck in wolf form. His love for his brother is both heartwarming and tender. I love the relationship these two have, as strained and complicated as it is. When Gibson saves Zach it’s like both men have seen the light. The possibilities are limitless if they can just get past the whole werewolf thing. I really like their romance but I wish there was more of it.

FULL REVIEW - http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Tori Thompson
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a great start to a new series from one of my favorite authors! Yes, shifters are new to Rhys Ford, and this one wasn't quite perfect, but it was very enjoyable.

The romance portion of this book follows Zach the human, and Gibson the wolf shifter. The two meet shortly after Ellis, Gibson's brother, terrifies Zach and chases him in to the lake. Yes, Ellis is a hot mess and stuck in wolf form, but still! So Gibson comes to the rescue and pulls a bruised, battered, and concussed Zach out of
Shelby
3.5 Stars

Ok this was a hard one for me. I love Rhys Ford's writing so much and while I did enjoy the characters and the quality of the writing, this story felt very rushed. It hit the high points, but didn't go into as much detail as I would have liked. I wanted time for Gibson and Zach to really get to know each other and fall for each other. The insta-love in this story only half worked for me. It didn't feel smooth.

I liked the beginning of this story. I loved Ellis as a wolf and his wolfy tea
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
A sweet romantic novella.
Amy
I didn't really feel a connection between Gibson and Zach. It felt way too rushed to be authentic. I will probably read the next book in this series to see if it gets better. Because Rhys Ford.
farmwifetwo
2.5 stars. Totally forgot about hoopla. Why buy when you can borrow . Very light read. More HFN. Now you are going to say but it's not but it has anot epilogue . Exactly , a tacked on in the future epilogue . Not a story to HEA.

• Camp H.O.W.L. (Camp H.O.W.L. #1)
  • Whiskers of a Chance (Chain of Fate, #1)
  • A Tooth For a Fang (Leader Murders #1)
  • Songs of the Earth (Sumeria's Sons #2)
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Forgiving Thayne (True Mates #2)
  • Blood Howl (Sanguis Noctis, #1)
  • The Psychic's Tale (Fitzwarren Inheritance #1)
  • Out of the Ashes (Asheville Arcana #1)
  • Ezekiah
  • Midnight in Berlin
  • Dog Days (Wolf Winter, #1)
  • Protector of the Alpha (Shifting Needs, #1)
  • The Lord's Tale
  • Gummy Bears & Grenades (THIRDS, #9.5)
  • Blackbird in the Reeds (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #1)
  • Fangs and Catnip (Dead and Breakfast, #1)
  • Chosen Pride (L'Ange, #3)
Rhys Ford is an award-winning author with several long-running LGBT+ mystery, thriller, paranormal, and urban fantasy series and was a 2016 LAMBDA finalist with her novel, Murder and Mayhem. She is published by Dreamspinner Press and DSP Publications.

She’s also quite skeptical about bios without a dash of something personal and really, who doesn’t mention their cats, dog and cars in a bio? She sha