Start by marking “Don't Let Me In” as Want to Read:
Don't Let Me In

Don't Let Me In

How do you escape when you’ve set your own trap?

From behind the locked door of her home, Sarah broadcasts her popular podcast. When she starts to seek the truth about the murder of a teenage girl 12 years earlier, she soon finds herself the centre of unwanted attention.

While trying to manage her agoraphobia, as well as the online trolls and her family life, Sarah begins
Published October 22nd 2018 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about Don't Let Me In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Let Me In

Start your review of Don't Let Me In
Lou
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don't Let Me In is Phil Kurthausen's first standalone novel and on the whole, it's a compelling read that addresses some important issues, the most prominent of which is the main character Sarah's agoraphobia. Having had a friend who suffered from this debilitating mental illness, I liked that it helps to raise awareness of an often misunderstood health issue but also uses it to weave an interesting story. The tension in the second half of the book was palpable and had me reading faster and fast ...more
Nicki
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sarah used to be a highly respected tv journalist until something bad happened to her almost a year ago,something so terrible that she developed a severe case of agoraphobia. Now she lives her life through social media and broadcasts pod casts from her studio in the basement of her home. Her latest series is about the murder twelve years earlier of teenager Lauren Green who's body was found in her car which was parked in a small car park surrounded by trees on a stretch of country park coastline ...more
Adele Shea
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I am so frustrated after reading this book. I should be writing a positive review but my mind just drifts to the mistakes in the story.
If you watched a movie and an item was placed in a person's pocket but magically appeared in the hands of a person who is in a completely different part of the house your mind wanders to this mistake. If it happens over and over, the frustration builds.
I loved the storyline and I do think once the mistakes are polished up you are looking at a 4/5star rating. Unf
Mark
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing

So, I read this book in one sitting ( more or less ) and what a book it is
Its a story about a journo, Sarah, who has become agoraphobic and suffering PTSD due to an intruder in her home a year ago and is now ‘podcasting’ and looking at ( she feels ) an unsafe murder conviction from a decade ago.....
I COULDNT STAND HER 😃 yet was drawn to her, from the off her feminist views were made known and her political leanings made clear and her views on everything from Islamaphobia to entitlement aired..
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have only recently started to listen to the odd podcast and have to say that if there was one like the one that Sarah has in the book, well I would certainly listen to it. Who isn’t fascinated with a murder, even when it is twelve years ago when it happened?

It’s obvious from the start that something has happened to Sarah as she won’t leave her house. It’s like a safe haven of which with all the trolls on social media, in a way I couldn’t blame her for wanting to stay in the safety of her home.
Shalini
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This book dealt with the sensitive issue if agoraphobia, at one point of time, I was becoming one so I could really relate to the main character Sarah. She ran a podcast from home about an old murder case where she felt that the suspect was wrongly accused.
The book started off interestingly, and 8 loved the way Sarah dealt with her life. I loved the suspense parts of the 12 year old murder mystery.
Sarah was not a totally lovable character, there was swearing and few crude ways.. But the story w
J_Mc 251
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to be right up front. I did not really care for this book. The premise was okay, although familiar. It was exactly like the podcast “Serial.” Quite ironic, really, because in the real life podcast, a woman named Sarah investigates the murder of a high school girl who was strangled several years prior, and whose ex-boyfriend was convicted of the murder. So goes the plot of this book. I did not find the Sarah in the book to be particularly likeable, which made it difficult to care anythi ...more
Claire
To start with, Don’t Let Me In reminded me a wee bit of #SixStories by Matt Wesolowski with the investigative podcasts but that where the similarity ended. Yes, Sarah was exploring the possibility of a miscarriage of justice but this wasn’t the sole focus of this story. I learnt about Sarah and her family and the ripples her podcast cause with the evidence she shared and suggestions she makes.

I loved Sarah’s tenacity for justice and steeliness against the virtual trolls. But one question niggled
Jana
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't Let Me In by Phil Kurthausen @wecansaveferris

I have got this copy from the author in exchange for my honest review.

Sarah is ex journalists who has her own broadcast in which she is trying to solve a murder which happend 12 years ago.

Don't Let Me In is very well written novel with fast and thrilling start! It's one of the novels which surprise you with a new twist in every chapter and the final twists are unpredictable! I really enjoyed the book and the only thing which I didn't like was t
Melissia Bruehl - Books and Sassy Lilacs
Do you listen to any Podcasts?  It's definitely become a huge interest of mine and I go back and forth between podcasts and audiobooks on my drive to and from work.  The idea of this book feels a bit like Serial, which is a bit of a gateway podcast for many people.  The idea of doing investigative reporting on a case where the convicted, accused of killing his girlfriend, insists he is innocent.  Add in the fact that Sarah, our main character, doesn't leave her house.  There are breadcrumbs give ...more
Caitlyn Lynch
A former TV presenter, Sarah Kelly became agoraphobic after an attack in her own home. Creating a new career as the presenter of a true crime podcast, she has built quite a following as she looks into the murder conviction of a young man she believes is innocent.

Unfortunately, because the accused is a Muslim, hate trolls have come out in force. For the most part, Sarah takes the online invective with the ‘all attention is good’ attitude, but when one troll threatens her son, the fear comes up to
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
Oooh this was a good read. Set out brilliantly and well written. It’s bound to keep the reader thinking and on the edge of their seat! I loved how the podcasts were part of the story so that the reader coule be a listener too and decide about the case and facts for themselves.

Poor Sarah is looking into an old murder case but not everyone is happy about that or agrees with her views. Because of this she has put herself into a vulnerable position to hate and harm, which I wouldn’t do. This has tur
Melissa Borsey
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Sarah was once a tv journalist but after being attacked in her home she is now suffering from agoraphobia and continues to work through podcasts done from home. Her latest podcast is on a 12 year old murder case where the wrong man may be sitting in jail. I thought the premise sounded good and I enjoyed reading most of this book but somewhere along the way the story took a weird turn and I didn't find the second half of the book to be as interesting. All in all, it was an enjoyable read. I thank ...more
Melissa In The City
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Solid 4 stars. Strong start and an ending with a twist! The middle was a little boring and drawn out to me but all in all thriller of a book written like a podcast.

Thank you #NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Julia
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don’t Let Me In is a gripping psychological thriller and very modern murder mystery.

It starts with a great, stark opening and I immediately warmed to Sarah: her thoughts and fears and anxieties. She is a great – if believably fallible – heroine. The supporting characters are all three-dimensional and the situations described – both in the historical case and the real-life present – are scarily realistic.

The Serial/Making-a-Murderer-esque podcast plot is compelling and runs nicely alongside the d
secretbookaholic
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I am not sure how I feel about this book. I read it quite fast but was I gripped all the way through? Nope. I think the plot just didn't "grab" me. My mind was wandering while I was reading it and that is never a good sign. However, that's not to say this book is bad. It just wasn't special, didn't stand out. A pretty standard thriller but I expect just a bit more. ...more
Karen Cole
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anybody who used social media knows that for all the positive interactions (sharing the book love!), there is also a much darker side and women who dare to put their head above the parapet will almost certainly attract the attention of trolls. Most of the death and rape threats will be empty threats of course; sent by agitators, gleefully trying to provoke a response but some may genuinely have a more malicious intent. At the start of Don't Let Me In, Sarah is unperturbed by her latest death thr ...more
Bookish
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sarah Kelly was a respected TV journalist, until an attack in her own home left her housebound, crippled by agoraphobia and fear. A year later, she's trying to cope as best she knows how and is the thick of her podcast series, investigating the arrest and imprisonment of a young Muslim man for the murder of his girlfriend, twelve years earlier.

Told in the first person, Don't Let Me In intersperses Sarah's experiences with the podcast itself. Because of this, it was pretty well paced and a good f
Nicki Southwell
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Podcaster Sarah spends her working hours in the basement of her London home. In fact, she spends all her time there or in the house. She doesn't go out, ever. Son Finn and husband Henry get on with their lives and she lives rather a different life than them, only on their return to they share anything.

An incident a year earlier has changed her life and there does not appear to be an end to it. Best friend Cathy talks to her regularly or calls round, and it is via her that Sarah has found some wo
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sarah remembers her old life all too well. Now living with agoraphobia, she has isolated herself away fro others. She at one time, was a television journalist and now has an area in her basement that is devoted to her podcast. She is investigating a Muslim man who was convicted of murdering a white woman and Sarah has a feeling that he is innocent and is out to prove just that . Each week her podcasts are growing more popular. Too popular actually. Someone has noticed and they are not happy at a ...more
asdf
Jun 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Came looking for a murder mystery and got SJW/feminism drivel instead.
If you can't keep your political leaning out of your fiction, maybe it's time for a career change to a journalist, activist, or a politician.
The book is like 70% about the author's left-right and male-female biases and 30% (if generous) about the murder; not a good ratio, especially because these overtones aren't even mentioned in the outline.

The protagonist is also one of the most insufferable characters that looks down on ev
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
As described on the cover this is a dark psychological thriller.

The story is told from Sarah's point of view as she works from home running a podcast due to her agoraphobia. Her podcast is investigating the murder of a girl years before where she uncovers all sorts of ideas and information, getting herself into trouble and dealing with the online trolls.

You get to know a few characters in the book, none of which are particularly likeable, although I did love the cat - not so much the name for th
Donna Maguire

I was intrigued by the blurb for this book and the cover completely drew me in and I couldn’t wait to get started!

I thought that the main characters for the book were well developed and they worked really well with the plot line. Sarah is a superb character and I really warmed to her.

The book had a well planned plot line and I thought that the suspense the author built up was great, I was reading the book much faster towards the end as I had to see how eve
Donna
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sarah is a journalist who is agoraphobic and suffering PTSD after an intruder got into her home a year ago, she now podcasts from home and is looking into a murder that occurred 12yrs ago.

She gains some unwanted attention from this both online and in her day to day life and soon not just her life but her families lives are at risk.

I didn’t actually like Sarah very much to be honest but I couldn’t help but root for her.

It’s a great book that was very tense and had me gripped page by page, read in
Marianne
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Had a hard time getting into this one. Once I did I found a good twisty story. Sarah is an interesting, well developed, character and I liked the pod casts interspersed throughout the story. I was surprised a few times as the book got going and the ending was awesome!

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Bloodhound Books for a copy in exchange for a review.
Carol Keen
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Bummer. I thought this was a murder mystery and it's not. The ending also was a horrible let down. I'm bummed. It had so many possibilities, until, it didn't. The propaganda destroyed this book, and the awful ending totaled it.

My copy came from Net Galley. My thoughts and opinions are my own. This review is left of my own free volition.
Vina
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a book! A real cracker of a read.
Don't Let Me In by Phil Kurthausen.
This is an unputdownable book. Very well- written,and zipping along at supersonic speed. Been reading it non-stop, and now my eyes are popping out!
5 Stars.
Sharon Innes
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspense

Good storyline that drew you in, however I did guess the ending. Well worth a read and a good suspense.
Wendi
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what to make of this book!

Hmmmm it grows on you although unsure I still had to finish it. Confusing in many ways just my opinion
Bookaholic
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Bit of a slow burner at the beginning but by half way through i was hooked. Thanks for the arc NetGalley

• Love You Gone
  • No Place Like Home
  • Secrets Between Us
  • The Janitor's Wife
  • Perfect Bones (Dr. Samantha Willerby #3)
  • The Girl in Red
  • Deliver Me
  • Malignant
  • The Girl Across the Street
  • Anonymity (DI Gravel #4)
  • Lost Angel
  • The Diary
  • Tell Me No Lies
  • A Version of the Truth
  • I Want You Gone
  • She Lies Hidden
  • She Chose Me
Phil Kurthausen was brought up in Merseyside where he dreamt of being a novelist but ended up working as a lawyer. He has travelled the world working as a flower salesman, a light bulb repair technician and, though scared of heights, painting the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Ken Dodd once put him in a headlock for being annoying.

He has had work broadcast on BBC radio 4 extra, published award winning sho

News & Interviews

The last five years of world history have been nothing if not...eventful. When living in interesting times, there's nothing better for...