Start by marking “The Way of the Traveler: Making Every Trip a Journey of Self-Discovery” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Traveler: Making Every Trip a Journey of Self-Discovery

The Way of the Traveler: Making Every Trip a Journey of Self-Discovery

Winner of the Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Award, this illustrated guide is a collection of short essays that discuss how travel can raise consciousness, promote spiritual growth, and deepen life experiences. Drawing on his experience as a monk, lecturer, and co-founder of a holistic healing institute, Joseph Dispenza helps readers understand that all travel is a sacred ...more
Published October 11th 2002 by Rick Steves (first published October 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Traveler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Traveler

Diane
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed much of the book but have not been familiar with ancient stories that are used as examples in the book. I found myself skimming some of those. The major points, however were very good. For those I would rate this a little higher.
BONDing over BOOKS
Have you ever suffered from writer's block? Ever had an idea floating in your head, but you didn't know where to start? How about just plain being stuck? The Way of The Traveler - Making Every Trip a Journey of Self-Discovery by Joseph Dispenza helps you to organize your thoughts, so that you can write your book, magazine article, or blog post, etc., in a structured and systematic way.

Although the book was written primarily for those who want to recapture and write the memories of their trips. O
Bill Pritchard
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my passions - one of the paths on how I answer the age old question of "What Good Shall I do this day" is my work with Exchange Students from around the world and those from the United States getting prepared to travel abroad. One of the areas we work on is how to get to a good place where you can become present in the moment to be fully aware of the wonders that surround you. In "The Way of the Traveler: Making Every Trip a Journey of Self Discovery", author Joseph Dispenza has written a ...more
Laurie
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There is only one journey. Going inside myself." Rainer Maria Rilke
This book was recommended to me at a travel writing workshop. So many practical and inspirational suggestions about how to make travel more meaningful. I am going to Europe soon and excited about incorporating his suggestions which include:

1. Making a travel shrine
2. Packing spiritual qualities as well as material things
3.Write out three goals and being them with you in your suitcase.
4. Brings gifts to give to people you will me
Velvetea
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I read this in preparation for a personal trip I have coming up (and what's funny is~ the book actually travelled TO ME!! Found it in the living room...). It's short and friendly, and I found the exercises useful~ like making lists of relevant and irrelevant fears, what comes to mind when you picture the destination, and bringing along small gifts for those you meet. What I appreciate most however is the emphasis placed on being AWARE of every stage of the journey~ not to rush there but take in ...more
Skye
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book provides beautiful suggestions on what to pack for your upcoming journey. Planning a trip to visit a friend who just found out he/she has cancer? Pack COURAGE.

"Every time we leave home and go to another place, we open up the possibility of having something wonderful happen to us. When we move out of the familiar here and now, we set in motion a series of events that, taken together, bring about changes at the very root of our being. And it is time to change."
Brandonbianchi
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
A great book using exploring all aspects of life in the sense that everything can be looked at as a journey. A friend of my brother actually wrote this one, he is a pretty amazing guy and
his writing is thought provoking.
Pat Jennings
The author guides the reader to make every journey an internal one. From the planning stages through the return home, every step is about being forever changed and more enlightened by having visited in an entirely new place at an entirely new time.
Mindie Burgoyne
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who travel and those guide travelers and those who dream of traveling
Very short little read, but one of the most inspiring books I've ever read about travel. All tour operators should have this book on their desks. It gives insight into a deeper purpose of travel, and how to make travel less about sightseeing and more about personal transformation.
April
Jan 06, 2009 marked it as to-read
Recommended to April by: Becky
A Christmas present from my wonderful friend.
Jennifer Grant
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just started this book...so far, so good!
Has great reminders that when we travel, we need to pack so much more than just stuff--things like courage!
Zennifer
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before you travel, before you plan to travel, read this book. The authors transform travel into a soul enriching experience.
Bonnie Lambourn