Start by marking “How the Dukes Stole Christmas” as Want to Read:
How the Dukes Stole Christmas

How the Dukes Stole Christmas

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  477 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Christmas magic is in the air... From the ballrooms of London, to abandoned Scottish castles, to the snowy streets of Gilded Age New York, four bestselling authors whip up some unforgettable romance...with a little help from some enchanted shortbread.

"Meet Me in Mayfair" by Tessa Dare
Louisa Ward needs a Christmas miracle. Unless she catches a wealthy husband at the ball t
Published October 15th 2018 by Rakes Rogues & Scoundrels LLC

To ask other readers questions about How the Dukes Stole Christmas, please sign up.
Tessa Dare Yes! All four are new, never published before.

Sarah MacLean
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Three gorgeous novellas from three of my favorite writers...and a fourth from me!

Merry merry!
Pamela
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars, rounded up due primarily to my obsession for everything Tessa Dare writes :)

Argh, I hate being the lone grinch who's less than enamored with this anthology, but I just wasn't nearly as engaged and enchanted as I'd hoped. I tend to love novellas since I often lack the patience for the drawn out miscommunications and repetitiveness that longer romance novels bring us. Honestly, though, I found the last two of these four stories tedious even as novellas and can't imagine finishing them i
Desi
Oct 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rated thusly for the utter tripe that is “Meet Me in Mayfair" by Tessa Dare. Why launch the book with this ridiculousness? Approaching men at balls with no introduction. Leaving an establishment in male company. Bare assed sex in a coach. Wandering about London at night on foot.

A grown man of that era not knowing a woman can’t go to gentlemen’s clubs. An adult male willingly traipsing about Mayfair with a Virgin he picked up at a ball on some stupid sightseeing tour. For hours. Until 5am. Why?
Debby "Piene Raven"
So, I got my Christmas spirit going a bit early this year with my reads. I do have to say that I did enjoy all but the last novella on the Dukes. It was a delightful read and I must say that Sarah MacLean's novel was the height of them all. Recommend this read and as a summation of them all, I am rating this as a 3.5 rounded to 4-Stars.

4-Stars
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
To be fair, I didn't read the whole thing. It's $5.99 and I have a high bar for $5.99. I can get very good books for a lot less, so unless this was a sure thing, I'm not spending the $$.

I read the sample. Which is like 7-8 chapters of Tessa Dare's story in the anthology. Since she's the author I like best in the group, if her story can't hook me, there's little hope for the rest of the book.

And unfortunately, it didn't hook me.

1. Most anthologies are too rushed. I like depth in a book, and thes
Gi's Spot Reviews
5 'The Shortbread Talisman' Stars<

What an absolutely and utterly BRILLIANT Christmasy HR anthology this book was!
From start to finish How The Dukes Stole was undoubtable perfection, with each of the four tales enchanting me to no end and making me crave even more of these enrapturing characters and their stories!

Complete and wholehearted holiday warm and fuzzy feelings that made me feel as though I was living the holidays right along with them! True Christmas in October feels that I recomme
Under the Covers Book Blog

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

It's that time of year.  The weather is changing and I'm ready to get into the holiday spirit!  One of my favorite books to read this time are holiday books and historical romances are the understated choice.  The small town contemporaries and cowboys get all the glitz and glamour (I blame Hallmark) but there's something endearing and sweet about a
Avid Booker
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People Who Want To Read Cute Christmas Stories
Tessa's book was too short. In meaning, I would have loved to see a little more of these characters especially since they were complete opposites. She was a city girl and he was a country boy. I really loved everything about them except, (view spoiler). I was really attracted to James for some reason. He gave off a vibe. Lumbersexual? lol It was cute. Fast. 3.5 stars And So Is Love by Kate Bush

MacLean's story gave me the feels. STRO
Monique
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love historical romance, this might be the year that you get the present you’ve always wished for. Four superstar authors have combined their talents to craft this fabulous anthology, which will have you experiencing a gamut of emotions in a real historical Christmas atmosphere. Also, the novellas can be read in any order, as they are entirely independent from one another.

Tessa Dare’ MEET ME IN MAYFAIR is delightfully romantic and sweet as a duke who is more of a Yorkshire country boy an
herdys
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only enjoyed Tessa's story. The rest I couldn't get into, no matter what. The last one I almost didn't even finish. The reason were the dukes of course. They were jerks to their heroines and since this is a short story we didn't have time for them to grovel properly. I also didn't feel the Xmas spirit since it's basically October lol
Roses R Blue
Combined 4.5 stars as reviewed at Roses Are Blue: https://wp.me/p3QRh4-Ox

Four outstanding authors have teamed up for an amazing collection of Christmas novellas, three set in England, and one in America. Each story includes a mention of some shortbread cookies, which are rumored to have special capabilities, though they taste like dirt. There’s also a clever salute to various Christmas movies or novels, such as Home Alone, A Christmas Carol, etc. This collection is top notch – entertaining, and
AnnMarie
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How the Dukes Stole Christmas is an anthology written by authors Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLean, Sophie Jordan and Joanna Shupe.

I loved each and every one of the stories, they filled me with the joys of Christmas despite it only being October when I read it. Such beautiful romances with loveable characters and such palpable emotions growing between the heroes and heroines. Passion abounds, and love must win out. Each book had a perfect ending which left me smiling ear to ear.

"Meet Me in Mayfair" by T
JoRead
For starters, DUKES! I don’t care how many make-believe dukes have been created, I’ll read them for as long as they keep writing them. Secondly, Christmas! I’ll admit that I prefer to read dark, scary, paranormal stories during the month of October, but c’mon, who can say no to Christmas stories, specially when they are written by some of your favorite authors and they all come together in one pretty package!
And that actually brings me to say that thirdly, it’s freaking Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLea
Barbara
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this anthology. Joanna Shupe is a new to me author. I love my historical romances, it was a nice change of pace to read one taking place in NYC. I'll have to check out more of her books.
Jessica
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**I received an ARC of this anthology from the authors, but all opinions provided are my own.

Four Dukes. Four spirited heroines. At Christmas-time!

The anthology How the Dukes Stole Christmas—with novellas written by Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLean, Sophie Jordan, and Joanna Shupe—releases today, and it’s a scrumptious, perfectly packaged morsel that makes even this (gestures to self) rabid fall enthusiast look forward to the holiday season with no small degree of anticipation.

Tessa Dare's MEET ME IN
Zeee  (I Heart Romance & YA)

I normally avoid novellas like the plague but when I found out that 4 of my favorite authors were releasing How the Dukes Stole Christmas anthology, I could not resist!

How the Dukes Stole Christmas is a heartwarming Christmas anthology that is loosely connected to each other by shortbread cookies and features Dukes that are total Grinches! Coincidentally, my husband and I were sharing the Filipino version of shortbread cookies, so this anthology already brought me all the #feels!

Meet Me in Mayfa
Sheila Melo
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an anthology of four short stories with a Christmas theme. The stories are not connected to one another (other than a recipe for a special shortbread and the holiday theme) so each can be read on its own.

MEET ME IN MAYFAIR by Tessa Dare: Louisa Ward has one night to catch the eye of a wealthy gentleman and only weeks to convince him to marry her before her family will be evicted from their home by the Duke of Thorndale. A turn of fate, however, puts Thorndale in Louisa's path.  I enjoyed
Steffy
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

ARC provided by one of the authors for an honest review.

Note to self – Figure out the super ancient secret Scottish shortbread recipe.

“Meet me in Mayfair” By Tessa Dare
Tessa – My queen – My favorite author. Once more she didn’t disappoint. Whilst short this story contains all the little things which made Tessa stories so special.
Spunky heroine with a heart of gold? Check. Dark, brooding duke? Check. Beautifully written words taking you on an emotional roller-coaster? Check! Louisa and James
Teresa (Reads_Romance)
It has been a long time since I was excited about an anthology. When four of the reigning queens of historical romance decide to pair up, I was over the moon ready for these sweet novellas. I mean, a whole anthology featuring grouchy Dukes?? What’s not to love! This book was the epitome of sweet. To be honest, I have read excellent novellas from both Tessa Dare and Joanna Shupe, so my expectations were a little higher for those two. Overall, this book is the perfect Christmas read and I highly r ...more
Griffin
This an enjoyable collection of holiday novellas to get you in the Christmas spirit, tied together by the common theme of a shared shortbread recipe that may, in fact, be magical.

"Meet Me in Mayfair" by Tessa Dare was my favorite of the bunch. It had the magical elements of one of those movies where a couple spends the whole night traipsing across the city exploring hidden treasures and unknown streets until 4AM. Snowy London at Christmas is always enchanting to me so I'm sure that helped.

"The
Maida
This is an amazing early Christmas gift from four historical romance favorites. Utterly delightful, these four novellas made my reading time merry and bright. Yes, even the one that made me curl up and weep into my crying blanket. Four fantastic heroines, four dukes worthy of them, and sparkling side characters who enriched the stories with their presence. Plus that magical shortbread.

Meet Me in Mayfair by Tessa Dare - Infused with Tessa's wonderful humor, this is sweet and tender. When I burst
Amy Alvis
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Meet Me in Mayfair" by Tessa Dare - 4 Stars

I really enjoyed Louisa and Thorndale's story. They spent most of their "courtship" walking about the city instead of in some ball where they would have had to stick to such rigged rules. Louisa got to meet the man behind the Dukedom and not a persona that must be in place while amongst the ton.

"The Duke of Christmas Present" by Sarah MacLean - 5 Stars

This is my first story by MacLean and I'll definitely be picking up her backlist. I loved this story!!
Tarra
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed this Christmas anthology. Tessa Dare and Sarah MacLean's entries were the strongest and most well rounded of the four novellas, the Shupe contribution being my least favorite just because I felt zero connection between the characters and they constantly flip flopped their emotions.

I enjoyed that they were all loosely based on Christmas movies, but the shortbread trope connecting them was a bit weak.

4/5 stars for Dare and MacLean
2/3 starts for Shupe and Jordan

It's Christmas, so
Karishma
Meet me in Mayfair - Tessa Dare - 3.5*
The Duke of Christmas Present by Sarah MacLean - 3.5*
Heiress Alone - Sophie Jordan - 3*
Christmas in Central Park (please take this rating with a grain of salt - this author's books never work for me) - Joanna Shupe - 1*

The Sarah Maclean story is the best of this anthology.
Amanda
Nov 16, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
4 stars - Meet Me In Mayfair by Tessa Dare
stars - The Duke Of Christmas Present by Sarah MacLean
stars - Heiress Alone by Sophie Jordan
stars - Christmas In Central Park by Joanna Shupe
nick

Really enjoyed this one! I'm not a short story or holiday romance fun, but all 4 stories were great.
Kristina Birch
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute holiday anthology perfection!!! Everything I adore in a holiday story is here, times four! From children to child-like behavior in the snow to a touch of magic to more than a touch of steamy kisses, How the Dukes Stole Christmas is a perfect sampling of the incredible skills of Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLean, Sophie Jordan, and Joanna Shupe. Whether you are new to these authors or a long time fan you will fall in love with this Christmas treasure!

Bonus: Sarah MacLean also shares a family ho
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
Literally!!! I loved each novella in this amazing anthology!!! EEEPPP
that is all. I won't write a full review lol
Jenica
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meet Me in Mayfair by Tessa Dare

Unsurprisingly, Meet Me in Mayfair by Tessa Dare is a delightful read that has characters I really adore and the best line of social commentary: “I don’t like to be praised in ways that deprecate the remainder of my sex. The world has countless jewel-worthy women. I’m not the only one.”

Louisa’s family is about to be thrown out of the home they’ve lived in for her entire life because the newly minted duke decided, without meeting them, that he was cashing in the d
Elodie
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m half in this book, a sweet bundle of cute tale with Christmas spirit.

Meet Me In Mayfair by Tessa Dare is a sweet story of the encounter of two people from different worlds.
James, the Duke of this story is a country boy, he never expected to inherit his tittle and feels like he does not fit in London society, he has also preconceived ideas about Londoners, why he rebuffed Louise.
Louisa is at her end wits, soon her family will be evicted from their London house because of a long forgotten debt
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellen
“Louisa was left to wonder how grown men found the smallest words the most difficult ones to say. “Thanks,” “please,” “sorry”… From the way their tongues tripped over the syllables, you’d think those words were Latin names for species of exotic fungi. When it came to “love,” some of them lost the power of speech altogether.” 0 likes