Start by marking “Anne and Louis: Passion and Politics in Early Renaissance France: The First Years of Anne of Brittany's Marriage to Louis XII (Anne of Brittany Series Book 2)” as Want to Read:

(Anne of Brittany #2)

Winner, General Fiction, 2018 Publishers Weekly Booklife Prize

"Sharp and engaging. Takes readers on a memorable adventure to the French Renaissance."—Publishers Weekly

"A dramatically engrossing and historically searching tale about a powerful duchess.”—Kirkus Reviews

"A masterpiece that paints an extraordinary vision of its times. Satisfying, educational, and hard to put
Published November 29th 2018 by Renaissance Editions

To ask other readers questions about Anne and Louis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne and Louis

Start your review of Anne and Louis: Passion and Politics in Early Renaissance France: The First Years of Anne of Brittany's Marriage to Louis XII (Anne of Brittany Series Book 2)
James Martin
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Review of “Anne and Louis”

“Anne and Louis,” written by Rozsa Gaston, plays out as an intelligent treatment of the lives of Louis XII of France and Anne of Brittany, with an emphasis on the latter.

Anne had been betrothed a number of times, but her two actual marriages brought her to the throne of France—both times. How that occurred is nicely told. One marriage proves much happier than the other. Was it the first to Charles VIII or the second, to Louis XII?

Anne’s court features an array of cha
Fyo
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
I talked in my review of the previous book of this series about my love for Anne of Brittany. She's one of my favorite historical figures and tied for my favorite medieval Anne (the other one being of Bohemia). I also have some interest in Louis XII, though he's nowhere cool as his wife. I'm kind of torn here because I want to like this book. I really do. Gaston is really good at recounting the historical events, which i appreciate (nothing worse than a historical fiction that can't get its hist ...more
Donna Ford
Gaston Retrieves the Passion and Politics of the 1500s
Four hundred years before women in America won the right to vote and serve in government, a young girl in the duchy of Brittany began an illustrious 26-year career in the politics of eastern Europe. Anne of Brittany won the hearts and respect of two French kings. Gaston’s book two in the Anne of Brittany series will not disappoint her Romance readership. Even while providing historical details, the author continues this amorous tale of life i
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

A gripping novel about a larger than life queen, “Anne and Louis” is a smartly written read filled with both passion and wit.

Read full review in the 2018 holiday issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Erinpad
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anne of Brittany was made Duchess of Brittany in 1488 at the young age of 11. In an effort to protect her people she married the King of France Charles VIII and though her marriage was never ideal, what with Charles being a know womanizer and Anne being in love another-she eventually came to love her husband but suffered from many miscarriages. After only 6 years of marriage, Charles unfortunately passed away and left Anne no longer a queen. The man that Anne has truly loved every since she was ...more
HalKid2
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The second in a three-novel series about the life of Anne of Brittany by Rozsa Gaston, I have to say this one is just OK.

Picking up Anne's life after the death of her first husband, King Charles VIII of France, Anne soon winds up married to her late husband's cousin and successor, King Louis XII - a man she has admired since childhood. Even though the marriage is presented as a love match on both sides, Anne, is determined this time to ensure the independence of her home duchy of Brittany -- so
Diane Solomon
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is the second in the Anne of Brittany series, covering the romance and marriage of larger-than-life Anne, Duchess of Brittany, and Louis Xll of France. 1498 in France and Brittany was a time where existence for the average person was hard, taxes were high, royals were not to be disobeyed or even criticized, and life was cheap. Especially for women.

Anne was an unusual woman for her time. I loved this portrayal of a strong intelligent woman who maintained her independence, even while jo
Christine Cazeneuve
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Book 2 of which I understand will be a three book series (with the third book coming out this fall). I enjoyed this book a bit more than the first and only because I was more in awe of Anne as she matured into an even greater woman. Truly a woman to be admired.

Still the minor issue with some repetitive lines and retells but it doesn't take away from the greatness of the book and the recommend of a must read.
Danielle L Green
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well written and I like to see a strong female character!

I really enjoyed this book! A strong Queen who lives life according to her rules is rare and refreshing for this time period. The romance between Anne and Louis is presented as one of the great love stories that I never knew about. I look forward to more from this author!
Jackie Caruso
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy historic fiction this is a good book. I enjoyed it. It is part of a series, but it stands alone as well. I was interested in this particular time period, so I only read the second book in the series.
Hebby Roman
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I was expecting more from this book, as it was based on historical events and persons. Writing was stiff and formal, lots of repetition and reciting of historical facts. Not really a historical book, nor truly a fictional one, as emotions were dubious from protagonists.
Mary Beth
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
As good as the first booj

Now that King Charles is dead, Anne is free to follow her heart. No longer a girl, she knows she must keep her duchy , for that is where her true love and duty lie
candy l thompson
Dec 18, 2018
Mark K
Apr 05, 2019
Cece
rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2019
Oct 29, 2019
Linda Hodges
Jun 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Girl Who Would Be Queen (The Kingdom of Naples #1)
  • My Fair Lady: A Story of Eleanor of Provence, Henry III's Lost Queen
  • The Captive Princess: Eleanor Fair Maid of Brittany (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 3)
  • Rose of the World: Rosamund Clifford-Mistress of King Henry II
  • The Greenest Branch (Hildegard of Bingen #1)
  • Daughter of Paris: The Diary of Marie Duplessis, France's Most Celebrated Courtesan
  • The Princess Nun: Mary, Daughter of Edward I (Medieval Babes: Tales of Little-Known Ladies, #5)
  • The Column of Burning Spices (Hildegard of Bingen #2)
  • The Girl Empress (The Chronicle of Maud #1)
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
  • The White Rose Rent: Katherine, Daughter of Richard III (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 4)
  • SABINA: A Novel Set in the Italian Renaissance: Revised 2015
  • Scourge of Henry VIII: The Life of Marie de Guise
  • The King's Commoner: The rise and fall of Cardinal Wolsey (The Tudor Saga #2)
  • Joan (Forgotten Women of History, #1)
  • IMPOSTOR: A Novel Set in the Kingdom of Naples
  • My Father, My Enemy: Juliane, Daughter of Henry I (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 6)
  • The French Sultana (The Veil and the Crown, #2)
ROZSA GASTON writes playful books on serious matters. Women getting what they want out of life is one of them.

GASTON studied European history at Yale, and then received her master's degree in international affairs from Columbia. She lives in Bronxville, NY with her family. Visit her at www.rozsagaston.com.

Her motto? Stay playful.

Anne of Brittany (4 books)
  • Sense of Touch: Love and Duty at Anne of Brittany's Court
  • Anne and Charles (Anne of Brittany, #1)
  • Anne and Louis: Rulers and Lovers

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...