Start by marking “Southern Player (Charleston Heat #2)” as Want to Read:
Southern Player (Charleston Heat #2)

Southern Player

(Charleston Heat #2)

I’m looking for a hot hookup with no strings attached. And I want my older brother’s best friend to step up to the plate...

My dating history is lame. My experiences in bed? Even lamer. As the owner of a thriving business, I’m used to calling the shots. But one place I don’t always want to be in charge is in the bedroom.

Enter Luke Rodgers. My brother’s best friend. Former M
345 pages
Published January 2019 by Peterson Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Southern Player, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Player

Jessica Peterson
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
SOUTHERN PLAYER is now LIVE and FREE in Kindle Unlimited! Grab your copy on Amazon today. Happy reading!

Be sure to join my Facebook reader group, The City Girls, for exclusive excerpts and giveaways galore!

Maria Luis
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how she does it. I swear, each book I read from Jessica Peterson, I always think, "this is my favorite one." SOUTHERN PLAYER is no exception. I floved this book SO hard.

I don't want to give away plot spoilers but I will say this: I grinned the entire time I read this book. Luke and Gracie were everything I wanted them to be - and then they became so much more than I even hoped. Sexy. Sweet. Authentically amazing.

While I was reading, a friend asked me how I was enjoying the book, an
Kelsey
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two words: Luke. Rodgers.

If you read this book for no other reason, let him be it. Jessica Peterson wrote his simple-yet-profound point of view with perfection. He was one of the most sincere, sweet, and adorable (not to mention HOT) characters I've read in a long time. I would read this book again for him alone.

Need another reason to read? THIS IS STEAMY AF. Probably the steamiest book I've ever read, and I mean that in a good way. The best way, really. Smart writing, funny one-liners, and al
Claypot_Reads -  Michelle
Six star read for me ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

For me this book was perfect. I adored Luke and Gracie. Simply adored them!

You know how some books flow beautifully, make you smile and have you laughing out loud while reading. The ones that have you flipping through the pages, ignoring the outside world. That's this book.

It's packed with witty dialogue. Well rounded characters that you come to care about and handles true emotions and insecurities, that if we're honest, we all have. Add to that some of the BEST sexu
Quinn's Quippy Quotes
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could I do that? Could I really leave scared at the door and embrace sensual instead? Only one way to find out.

There is something about Jessica Peterson's writing that has become so recognizable to me. It's like settling in in that perfect cozy spot at home with a hot cup of cocoa and a soft fuzzy blanket.

After finishing Southern Charmer, I couldn't wait to see what she had in store for Grace and Luke! And knowing what the basis of their story was about, I knew it was going to be HOT! And it was
Geornesha Jefferson-Clayton
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Southern Player and OMG was it good! Honestly this was so well written, the characters came to life so well and I fell even more in love with the characters I first met in Southern Charmer. Gracie and Luke have an amazing love story! Jessica Peterson this is a book that you’ll read over and over again because you can’t get enough! You’ll laugh, cry, and smile till your cheeks hurt while reading this. Such a genuine love story and the sex is amazing too! Chemistry for days ...more
Paulette
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I will ever hear the words “ Baby Girl” without be reminded of this book. That is a good thing! This is a story that brings a smile to my face and butterflies in my heart. In other words it warmed my grits. It also deals with real feelings and insecurities that many of us face everyday. It draws our attention to the question how much are you really ready to change about yourself and do you even know, know yourself? How much are your worth and what happens when you assume things abo ...more
Missie M
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Five shooting stars. Or would it be exploding stars?” Southern Player, Jessica Peterson

The words within this book wrote their own review! Five regular stars just wouldn’t be enough for this amazing book that I could barely put down!

I loved every second of the story of Gracie and Luke. Their friendship and love was a sweet and super sexy story. They built each other up. Made the other understand their own real value. And together, they only made each other even better.

I love how Luke gave Grac
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every second of Gracie and Luke’s story. Their friendship was sweet and their chemistry was sexy and sizzling hot, which made for an amazing love story.

There were so many great moments that I just loved from start to finish in this book. From the delicious, flirty, easy banter between the characters to the level of care and concern for each other was was endearing. There were some amazing highs, a few lows and emotionally charged moments both from Gracie and Luke.

Jessica Peterson's wri
Dana
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy HOTNESS!!! This book is full of so much steaminess!!!

Grace and Luke have so much chemistry...it’s like off the charts!!!! I admit, there were a few times I needed to just stop and fan myself....

So, Southern Player is getting the flames:
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Mandie
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was perfection!! So full of suspense. Luke and Gracie are ❤❤❤! One of my top reads of 2019!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own
Leisa Cook
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my stars....sweet, swoony, sexy, steamy, Southern....Grace and Luke’s story sizzles!!! Grace gets in her head about being the perfect person in relationships and it almost ruins her for finding the real thing. Luke gets in his head too as he wonders if he’s enough. I love a book that has real life advice and this one has a lot....be true to yourself, find someone who loves the real you, the importance of communication, compromise, it’s ok to ask for what you want, and so much more. This book ...more
Siobhan
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve loved every Jessica Peterson book I’ve picked up, and Southern Player is no different. I went in with high expectations, and the story certainly delivered. It is no surprise Jessica Peterson is one of my favourite contemporary romance writers.

After Southern Charmer, book one in the Charleston Heat series, I was desperate to see how things played out between Gracie and Luke. The little insights we were given into their story in book one left me desperate for more, and I knew there was a lot
READ ME ROMANCE
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Southern Player was amazing! I loved so much about it. I loved that it was a continuation of Southern Charmer, book #1 of Charleston Heat series, and that Eli and Olivia were featured as well. I loved that it was set in Charleston, a town I have visited many times, and that neighboring hot spots and towns were mentioned including a scene at the beach. I love the friends to lovers and best friend’s sister genre.

But mostly, I loved Gracie and Luke Rogers together! I loved that they were normal pe
Stephanie Osborne
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Total standalone, but I HIGHLY recommend reading book 1, Southern Charmer, first. You'll get a glimpse of Luke and Gracie before they even know there is a Luke & Gracie ;-)

Some stories are so good they are hard to review. EVERYTHING about this one makes me smile. I haven't been so thoroughly entertained reading a book in a while. I laughed, I cringed, I smiled so big, and yes, I fussed & stomped my foot when Luke has a dumb boy moment.

I have not highlighted SO many great lines in a stor
Jolene St Germain Triggs
Shelves: arcs
YUM! As much as I loved Eli (from Southern Charmer, Charleston Heat 1, but don't worry they are stand alones interconnected series, reading this one first is FINE) I think I love Luke MORE. He's just soooo dreamy! His dirty talk, YIKES, scorched my Kindle lol. The description though of that mountain of a man, a bear, with the soft melty center, thats my addiction I didn't even know I had an this author had me mainlining it! I was feeling his whole vibe about not feeling like he fit in Gracie's ' ...more
M
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jessica Peterson writes the books I crave....strong heros and the kick ass women that love them. I have been waiting for this book since I fell completely head over heals for Eli in Southern Charmer. Eli, the sexy, kind, charming chef who was brought joy by feeding people, mind body and spirit. He was special and I knew his sister Gracie would be special too. Southern Player is Gracie's book. Gracie is not only smart, beautiful and accomplished, but she is also a romantic at heart. She is lookin ...more
Nicole Westmoreland
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an easy 5-star review for me… Five shooting stars. Or would it be exploding stars? Orgasmic ones, maybe?

Luke and Gracie’s story is a Southern Belle’s dream, y’all!

Gracie (Gracie Girl, baby girl…) owns Holy Roasters coffee shop and has degrees from college. Smokin’ hot “experienced” Luke is a college dropout and recovering MLB player (in more ways than one). Can they get Eli’s approval for their “plans” for one another?

The incredible writing done by Author Jessica Peterson has once again
Courtney Jackson
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Where do you even begin with a tale as enrapturing as Luke and Gracie?

Grits✅
Coffee✅✅
Butt Stuff✅✅✅

This is by far my favorite Jessica book to date. I loved Eli in Southern Charmer, but Luke stole my heart with his extreme country boy ways.

So many great moments from start to finish. The flirty, easy banter between the characters makes you jealous of their bond. The level of care and concern for the others goals whether it be in business or pleasure is admirable.

Speaking of pleasure...Hot Damn! Th
Patricia Rohrs (words we love by blog)
I simply want to gush about so many aspects of this book but can’t because I don’t want to give anything away! I will say having a novel (within a novel) relate to what is going on with the characters is simply fantastic! It strengthens my love for books and how they heal us in so many ways!

I have always admired Jessica’s ability to bring pop culture into her books but to create her own really adds more depth to this book and it helped me to see everything through the characters eyes!

I loved th
V Meade
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gracie and Luke are hot from page one. Gracie is a successful independent woman who simply wants to meet a man who will accept and love her for who she is and what she wants. Luke is a sexy hot ex-baseball player turned farmer who is ready to settle down. Southern Player has everything you’ll laugh, cry, get angry and sigh in adoration at everything that is Luke and Gracie. Let’s not forget Luke’s mama’s because they are so funny and refreshing!!

Southern Player is another wonderful story and I
Raquel
A Delicious Recipe
If Southern Charmer was a journey of discovering our own strength and not apologizing for who we want to be in life, in our business, career and not hesitating to drop all that is considered ‘essential’ nowadays, Southern Player decided that playing with our hearts was the best course of action.

Gracie's journey reminds us of not being ashamed of who we want to be in bed, in our hearts, at the same time that sheds light – in a very relatable way – in women’s tendency of carryin
Cheryl Blackburn
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Southern Player is Hot!

Southern Player is hot and sweet as the day is long. I was lucky enough to read the ARC of this book and it was AMAZING! How can I describe this book without giving spoilers? I think you will read this book and fall in love with Luke and Gracie like I did. With Jessica's description of Luke I can picture him in my mind as plain as day, sexy former baseball player now farmer. Gracie is a beautiful, smart business owner, who is also the younger sister to his bestfriend. Foll
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though this is the second book in the series, it can definitely be read as a standalone. Luke and Gracie cast a spell on me and had me reading their story straight through in one sitting. Theirs is a story that goes beyond the brother's best friend/little sister genre. Both light hearted banter and really open and honest discussions between the two made for an impressively penned novel. I loved, loved the real insecurities that they both had and shared with each other. It's those insecuriti ...more
Stephanie Osborne

I have not highlighted SO many great lines in a stor
Ellen
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book! So well written. I absolutely love Luke and how he loves Grace. The characters are real and honest and so great! I loved the first story in the series and this one is even better.
Carly Wilson
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Southern Player’ is the first book I’ve read by Jessica Peterson, and I received it in exchange for an honest review. This book captured my attention within the first couple of pages and is a hot romance that will get any romance lover swooning.

The book is about Gracie, a girl who is recovering from another heartbreak. She is sick of feeling like she is doing something wrong when it comes to love, and is sick of trying to pretend to be something she’s not in the hope of finding her happily ever
Joy Westerfield
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow! What an incredible story of friends to lovers that will enthrall you from the very beginning! This was my first read by this author, and let me tell you, I need more by her. Luke and Gracie are such a perfect couple! They have been friends for years yet never went further than that. Gracie is just tired of men in general and comes up with a solution to get her out of her rut. One day, Gracie asks Luke to do something for her that he can't refuse to do. As they embark on their special r ...more
Stephanie S
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always wonder why there are only 5 star ratings on books that deserve more, and this is one of them. OH MY Luke and Gracie just soo much love for this one.

It is a friends to lovers genre and it is done so well. These 2 had known eachother for years because Luke was Gracie's brother's best friend. To Luke she was off limits due to it being his Best Friends little sister. Luke was soo swoon worthy and with all the talk of the guys doing their favorite things sans shirts, AWWWWWWW ((fanning self)
Heather andrews
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gracie really does love catching her man off guard, "Gracie nods. “Oh yeah. This is a—well, a sexual list, I guess.” I make a noise. Somewhere between a growl and a groan." Luke will always make time for his girl, “baby, you callin’ for phone *** is never a bother. I always got time for that.” Luke appreciates his girl loving food, "she doesn’t even look up at me before leaning in for another bite. Then another. Look at this. My city girl devouring an eight-dollar dinner like it’s the best thing ...more
  • Risk Taker (It takes Two #3)
  • Starmaker
  • Last First Kiss (Iron Clad Security #2)
  • TKO: Total Knock Out
  • But First, Coffee
  • The Wrong Game
  • Love at first sight
  • Romancing the R.A. (Campus Crush, #1)
  • Tequila, Tequila
  • Something Real (Friends #3)
  • Fast Lane (Consumed by Love #1)
  • Perfect Match (Lucky in Love, #5)
  • If I Stay (Montgomery Manor, #1)
  • So Wrong It's Right (Boston Love, #5)
  • Ruthless King
  • Nice and Easy (Boys of the Big Easy, #3)
  • Chasing Ella (Love Ever After, #1)
  • Light Up The Night
Jessica Peterson writes smokin’ hot romance set in her favorite cities around the world. She grew up on a steady diet of Mr. Darcy, Edward Cullen, and Jamie Frasier, and it wasn’t long before she started writing swoon-worthy heroes of her own. She loves strong coffee, stronger heroines, and heroes with hot accents.

She lives in Charlotte, NC with her husband Ben and her smelly Goldendoodle, Martha

Charleston Heat (3 books)
  • Southern Charmer (Charleston Heat #1)
  • Southern Gentleman (Charleston Heat #3)