Start by marking “The Gift of the Quoxxel” as Want to Read:
The Gift of the Quoxxel

The Gift of the Quoxxel

If you were the monarch of a carefree, tropical paradise,
what would you desire? Well, King Norr would like to leave,
and the sooner, the better.

"Where else but Nibb?" was the island's favorite adage.
The natives all knew to venture beyond Nibb was inviting
only misery and "haddocks."

Telling too much here will ruin the surprises in store,
but some of the mysteries include --

Wh
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 190 pages
Published March 2018 by Voyages Imaginaires (first published July 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of the Quoxxel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of the Quoxxel

Trang Tran (Bookidote)
description

(3,8)This book was peculiar, curious, light-hearted and fun to read. I’ll probably read it to my children one day. It’s about the King of Nibb, a lonesome island in the middle of nowhere. The citizens were fine with the island but not the King. He longed for discovering the world, getting out there. Unfortunately for him, every ship that approached the island decided to turn back and get away from his land. Why is that? The king has to know.

The book is filled with funny replies, smart dialogue
Hilary (SongsWroteMyStory)

This book definitely falls into the category of one of the stranger things I've read, and that's meant in a good way. It's quirky and lighthearted, and gives off a similar vibe to Alice in Wonderland, but with more water and pirates.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out overly well for me. I perpetually felt like I'd missed something, and I had a hard time getting my bearing in a story where every single character and
Happy Booker
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Gift of the Quoxxel is a whimsical tale about King Norr. This children’s book is about the king wanting to get out of his island and experience life to the fullest. His life is ideal, and he pretty much has everything he wants. However, everything to him has not been experienced, and so the journey begins.

As you get to meet many funny characters and sideline stories that felt exciting, the story in its entirety may have been hard to grasp due to its word choices and silliness. While this fea
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, r-r-s, ya
Thank you to the author, Richard Titus, for gifting me with a copy of The Gift of the Quoxxel in exchange for an honest review!

The best way I can describe this book is ridiculously, whimsically, absurd. It is definitely the strangest book I've ever read but strange in a funny sort of way. It was just an overall odd book. Quite honestly, don't expect to get good, solid answers for the whole question of 'why won't people visit Nibb?' because you won't get one. The best way to read this book is wit
Dorka
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2,75

I recieved an e-copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. It’s quite a short story, so I could finish it quite fast too. Though, my review might be a little negative and that might be because it left me really confused. I read it in the car as I was getting back from vacation, that could be the cause of confusion (I never really pay proper attention when reading in the car).

Now, the story is quite humorous, as you except from a book that is written to children. Howe
Jessica Bronder
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone on the tiny island of Nibb is happy and has no desire to learn about anything outside of their world. But King Norr is always thinking about thing beyond Nibb. Things like why do ships approach yet not come to shore. What ensues is several adventures with King Norr as he tries to answer the questions he is asking.

This is a great, fantasy adventure for kids. It’s silly and some of it makes no sense, like how you will never really learn why the ships don’t land on Nibb. I admit though tha
Honya
You can tell before you even open The Gift of the Quoxxel that it’s going to be a quirky trip. And you would be right in that assumption. This is quite the whimsical genre-mash, with a lot of fantasy but also elements of science fiction and mystery, plus a lot of humor. If you’re a fan so Seussical neologism or Alice in Wonderland-style whimsy, this is the book for you. It’s filled with quirky characters, long strings of alliteration, and plenty of surprises. For myself, I did personally find th ...more
Colin Garrow
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Ruling over a tropical paradise might suit some folk down to the ground, but King Norr isn’t happy and would like to leave – ideally, as soon as possible.

A mixture of folk-tale, fairy story and a hint of Dr Seuss, this is an imaginative and gentle book peppered with an abundance of amusingly nonsensical and made-up words. Although the banter between some of the characters is entertaining, I did find the writing style a little tiring after a while and my attention wandered quite a bit. A great ma
Nargis  Kalani
Firstly, thank you to the author for providing me the e-copy of his book.

When I read the plot of this book, the story seemed so exciting and unique. No doubt that the story and the characters were unique.

So when I started reading the book, I was having a hard time in understanding what is actually happening. Also, I was having a hard time in understanding the characters.

I really enjoyed the dialogues between the characters. The dialogues were funny, sarcastic and very light hearted. Pearl and
Lori
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
I appreciate the quoted passage from Robert Louis Stevenson which sets readers up for what's to come which is a brilliant and humorous story filled with imagination and wanderlust.

Readers are soon introduced to King Norr who is eager to leave the island and thus begins a calculated treasure hunt.

Illustrations close out the chapters, and included, is a glossary of Nibbian word script.

This zany book made me laugh and it still makes me smile.
Charlotte
I gave this book three stars because it is extremely original, so original, it has it's own dictionary in the back.
Personally I found this book confusing with all the made up words. The Island of Nibb didn't have enough world building to give me a clear picture of it. To many characters to keep track of. This book was to "Dr. Seus-ish" for me.
Elizabeth McLennan
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I really enjoyed this book and found it a fantastic read!

Louise
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, mg-childrens
This one just wasn’t for me unfortunately. It does have a lot of energy and humour though, and I’m sure other readers will enjoy the style. I think this is one to pick up if you’re into Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass. It has that same sort of mad-cap silliness and (overly?) quirky characters. The writing is full of made-up words and snatches of metaphors and poems, which will appeal to fans of Lewis Carroll’s writing.

I received a free copy of this book in exchan
Eisah Eisah
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cathy Speight
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Weird. Totally weird. Bonkers…about as nutty as a fruitcake and mad as a box of frogs. Quirky, odd, mystifying. But...utterly unique and very enjoyable.

I'm not so sure I made total sense of this tale, and after a few pages, I did wonder what I'd let myself in for. But then you get totally sucked in by the king of Nibb and, of course, Yill.

I really have no idea what it's about. Actually, not quite true: it's about the land of Nibb, the pirates on the Blaggard, and the Quoxxel, of course. It's whi
Angelina
Originally posted on Fables Library
When Brianna and I were asked to review The Gift of the Quoxxel, I had a feeling one of us would like it. The summary sounded adorable and funny all at once, and the story fit that very well. This is going to be a shorter review because The Gift of the Quoxxel was a bit shorter than your average book.
What I Liked:

My favorite thing about The Gift of the Quoxxel was the pictures. They were bright, colorful, and very cute. I loved seeing them at the end of al
Angelina
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review***

A lot of effort was put into making this book.

When I first saw this book, I kind of guessed already that it would be a humorous read - and I was not disappointed. There were definitely a lot of jokes in The Gift of Quoxxel, even the glossary had a sense of humour in it. It weren't the kind of jokes that would make you laugh out loud, but it was very amusing to read. The characters also had
Biswanath Banerjee
If you think it is a tale of imagination and fantasy-well, then it is true. If you think it is a story book for kids –well, you are right to some extent. But more than that, it is a story that has some deeper inner meanings. In the form of the story the writer has told about the whole human kind and our endless quest for the creatures to come from outside. He satirically told about the human nature-nature that does not allow us to step outside. Then some day something extraordinary does happen- ...more
Deborah Gafford
Very creative, delightful story

The Gift of the Quoxxel is an intriguing book. Not only does it create a different world of child-like fantasy, but is filled with adult tongue-in-cheek humor as well. Some of the humor may be lost on a child, but teens and adults would certainly find reason to smile and chuckle. Because there is no extreme violence or vulgarity as can be found in some fantasies written only for adults,
Jessica
Originally published at Novel Escapism

King Norr of Nibb wants to see the world beyond his small island kingdom. He watches ships that pass his island wondering why they never stop. Little does he know that adventure is about to find him when a strange girl appears out of nowhere.

The good: It is nice to see the passion and attention that Mr. Titus obviously put into his novel. It has interactive links to a glossary, audio files, even sheet music, and I very much enjoyed the amusing illustrations
Leticia
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

What I liked

The island of Nibb is filled with many whimsical characters from the unusual Yill to Pearl, the mysterious child, to King Norr who dreams of exploring beyond Nibb.

I think my most favourite character was Yill. He had this knack of annoying every person he encountered. However he had this air of “yup, just don’t care” about him. He was wholesome and entirely curious with a large smattering of humour.

“My parents only
Saradia Chatterjee
A story that has mystery, fantasy, adventure, humor and a whole lot more! This is a great book for middle graders. It's hard to not like any aspect of this book. It's one of those colorful tales that seem to come alive while you read. The characters are both funny and interesting. They are attractive enough to make you want to participate in their adventures.

I've read quite a few Middle Grade books recently. I must say when it comes to creativity, this one does better than most others. The story
Monica Fastenau
Read the full review on my blog: http://newberyandbeyond.com/arc-the-g...

First, the good stuff:
This story has some very funny moments. There are some hilarious characters, and some truly absurd things happen to them. I found myself laughing out loud on a few occasions.
The king and queen were my favorite characters. The king, because he is so oblivious. The queen, because she is not. They work together so well and produce many of the previously mentioned funny moments.

Now, the not-so-good stuff:
E
Marigold Dicer
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This was a delightful read, the kind where the reading experience is just as fun as the plot. As you can probably tell by the book cover, this story screams ‘quirky’, and I don’t think I could adequately describe the book any more than the blurb. It reminded me a little of Terry Pratchett’s tongue-in-cheek style (which I love) so I was so glad I decided to read this (after receiving a request from the author).
The ending was a little disappointing, but I suspect it’s being set up for a sequel, or
Deborah Gafford
Mar 25, 2015
Stephanie Augustine
**I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review

See full review here: https://wordpress.com/posts/booksinth...

Overall, The Gift of the Quoxxel by Richard Titus was truly a unique read. I have never really read something like it before. While this was meant for an adult audience, I think I would have enjoyed it more with someone to share it with. This is definitely a book that can quickly become a family favorite. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for someth
Lauren
Nov 12, 2018
Althea
Apr 14, 2015
Cassandra **The Bibliophagist**
DNF at 28%
I'll try again later just couldn't get into it
Jessica Shaughnessy
Feb 19, 2015
GOOD REVIEWS: humorous YA story with illustrations & music 3 14 Feb 17, 2015 12:03PM
The Gift of the Quoxxel is Richard's debut novel. His life experience includes pencil sharpening, guitar stringing, truck driving, potato peeling, substitute teaching, canvas stretching, at ease standing, verb conjugating, letterwriting, camp counselling, picture framing, cat maintaining, and mastery of an adequate meatloaf.

A Michigan native and parochial school survivor, Richard resides with wife