Start by marking “Cold Woods (Northampton County, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cold Woods (Northampton County, #2)

Cold Woods

(Northampton County #2)

Buried bones of the past rise to the surface in this chilling mystery from the bestselling author of River Bodies.

When the long-buried bones of a man turn up in the middle of December, Pennsylvania homicide detective Parker Reed knows he’s in for a cold case.

Trisha and her friends were teenagers when Trisha’s stepdad went missing. Now, thirty years later, his remains have
Published August 13th 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Cold Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Woods

Start your review of Cold Woods (Northampton County, #2)
Debra
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Unearthed buried bones also expose old secrets and past traumas.

It's December and Pennsylvania Homicide detective Parker Reed has been called to the scene of a "cold case" when a dog unearths bones. When Parker and his partner identify the bones as a man who disappeared thirty years ago.

Trisha has returned home. There she is reunited with her Mother Sharon, and her childhood best friends, Dannie and Carlyn. She hasn't spoken to any of them since she left town when she turned eighteen. Why? Befo
James
Cold Woods is the second book in the Northampton series by Karen Katchur. I read the first book last year because it took place not too far away from where I'd gone to college years ago. When I stumbled upon the second book in the series on NetGalley last week, I immediately requested the book as I'd really enjoyed the first one. While the two book are part of a series, you can easily read them separately, but as I always recommend, read them in order to have the best possible experience.

The we
Debra
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Unearthed buried bones also expose old secrets and past traumas.

Sandy

There’s nothing like a short, creepy prologue to whet your appetite for what’s to come. One line sums it up nicely: “He had it coming”.

The story follows the relationships between a group of women in 2 time lines, one in the present & one from 30 years ago. It’s clear they share a huge secret stemming from traumatic events. When a body is found in present day, that past comes roaring back & forces them to remember what they’d sworn to forget. The thing is, not everyone’s memories are the
Carolyn
When bones are unearthed in the cold woods of Bangor, Pennsylvania, they turn out to be those of Lester Haines, a man who disappeared three decades ago. An unpleasant, sleazy character, it was believed he'd run off, deserting his abused wife Sharon and teenage stepdaughter Trisha, who everyone thought were better off without him. However, when the forensic pathologist concludes that Lester was murdered, Sharon and Trisha are both under the spotlight as suspects.

Trisha has recently returned for t
Linda Strong
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read Book 1 in this series recently (RIVER BODIES) and could not wait to start Book 2. I was keeping fingers crossed this one would be as good as the first. I was not disappointed.

Starting at the beginning, voices are speaking to each other. They seem anxious and afraid as they try shoveling a hole in the winter ice in the woods. Pushing the body into the hole, they cover it up and go home.

When the long buried bones turn up, Detective Parker Reed is called to investigate. Thirty years ago a ma
Darinda
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Detective Parker Reed has a new partner, Geena Brassard, and they are working a cold case. Remains are found on a mountain, and they go back to a missing person case from 30 years earlier. As Parker and Geena investigate, they are led to Trisha and her friends. The remains belong to Trisha's stepfather, Lester, and it seems he was not an upstanding citizen. Trisha and her friends were teenagers 30 years ago, and Trisha has not kept in contact with them since she left after high school.

Told with
Kimberly Belle
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Karen Katchur nails it with Cold Woods, the second in the Northampton County series and a perfect follow-up to her #1 bestselling hit, River Bodies. Katchur starts Cold Woods with a bang, then builds the action steadily, a gradual unfolding of truths and small-town secrets among three former best friends. Dark and chilling, creepy and emotionally complex—and enthralling all the way to the shocking end.
Judy D Collins
The talented Karen Katchur returns following the introduction of River Bodies (My Top books of 2018), with the second installment of her popular Northampton Country series –COLD WOODS. (My Top Books of 2019) 🙌

In this multi-generational dark, gripping, spine-chilling mystery, a cold case unearths dark secrets that refuse to remain buried, when lines are blurred between good and evil. A "must-read" series. I would suggest cranking down the AC, grab a blanket or throw, a cup of espresso or tea,
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Returning home and being told by your mother that you shouldn’t have come back is where we meet Trisha.

Trisha came back after 30 years because they found the bones of Lester, her step father, and bones that she and her neighbors and friends had something to do with.

Lester was not a good man, and Trisha still hated him to this day. All he did was cause trouble for her.

We go back and forth as Trisha’s life as a child and as an adult is described. Her childhood wasn’t a pleasant one and neither was
Christina McDonald
A dark, thrilling police procedural with a splash of domestic suspense, Cold Woods is chilling, eerie, and ferociously smart. The second in the Northamptom County series (the first one, last year’s River Bodies, was a bestselling hit), Cold Woods starts with a bang as mysteries and murder from past and present collide.

The story follows three women who were best friends when they were teenagers. Now, 30 years later, the remains of Trisha’s stepfather, Lester, have been found. And it’s the job of
Hannah Mary McKinnon
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Karen Katchur takes you on another dark, engrossing ride with Cold Woods, the excellent follow-up to her bestseller River Bodies. Friendships and loyalties are tested to the extreme, and this chilling tale had me frantically turning the pages to discover who would make it out alive.
Linda Zagon
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Linda's Book Obsession Reviews "Cold Woods" by Karen Katchur, Thomas & Mercer, August 2019

WOW! Karen Katchur, Author of "Cold Woods" has written an amazing, intense, captivating, riveting, page-turning, intriguing and edgy novel. The Genres for this novel are Mystery, Suspense, Thriller, and Fiction. There are two timelines in this story that do connect, and anything that goes back to the past concerns the events or characters in this story. The author describes her dramatic characters as comple
Christina McDonald
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domestic, crime

Dawnny
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-author
This is the second book in the Northhampton County series. River Bodies is the first but this is a stand alone read as well. Trisha's Step Father went missing thirty-years ago and now his remains have been found. There are dark secrets and darker happenings in the Appalachian mountains. When Detective Parker starts to investigate it leads to Trisha's childhood home. Trisha has returned home to her mother Sharon and childhood friends Carlyn and Dannie who she hasn't seen since she left at eightee ...more
Cathy Garrison
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karen Katchur did what view authors are able to do, stump me on the ending of a book! What a journey of twists and turns into unexpected places and emotional ups and downs! Take a walk and a run with three best friends into the past and to the present that was absolutely shaped by their choices when they were younger. A great read! A could not put it down thriller!
Ruth
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Childhood friendships are often a touchstone in our adult lives. This particular small town cop and mystery novel builds upon those friendships, something that happened to several of the friends, and how it impacted their life choices. Strong characters and good issuing make this an enjoyable read, once you get past what one parent is.
Jolene Grace
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I LOVED reading Cold Woods by Karen Katchur. Still jolted by the spin and turns of the book. Bones are found in a mountain, a cold case is reopened threatening to ruin the lives of many and all for a man who no one missed.The residents on Second Street, in a small town in PA have moved on with life or more like have ran away from that harrowing night they have tried to forget. Cold Woods is not just a cold case murder mystery. It's deeper. The characters explore wounds that refused to heal, haun ...more
Amy
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was pleased to get a copy of Cold Woods, 2nd in the Northampton County series, by Karen Katchur.
In July of 1979 Trisha, her mother and her step-father move from Chicago to a small town in Pennsylvania. Trisha quickly makes friends with Dannie and Carlyn. The three seem inseparable. As time goes on secrets are kept and the girls pull apart from one another.
Almost 30 years later and Trisha returns to her family home, things start to go from bad to worse for the 3 friends.
Human bones were found
Toni
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.75 Stars

This is the second book in the Northhampton County series by Karen Katchur.

There is a lot going on in this book and even though the story is focused around the discovery of a dead body up in the mountains; unfortunately, the man uncovered isn’t the only truly bad guy in this book. Tricia’s step dad was not a nice guy and Lester made more than her life miserable.

Detective Parker Reed and his partner discover the body and they are immersed in the lives of Tricia and her friends, Carlyn,
Carla Suto
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
COLD WOODS by Karen Katchur is Book 2 in her Northampton County series. I really enjoyed Book 1, RIVER BODIES, and couldn’t wait to read the Book 2. COLD WOODS is a dark and atmospheric thriller set in the Appalachian foothills in Pennsylvania. The book starts off with the chilling discovery in the woods of long-buried bones of a man and it will be up to Homicide Detective Parker Reed and his partner, Geena Brassard to identify the victim and find out who killed him. Thirty years earlier, Trisha ...more
The Crime Librarian
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
While police procedurals are not my favorite sub genre of mystery novel, I do appreciate a good detective book from time to time. Cold Woods met all of the criteria for a fantastic read. As the second in the Northampton County series, the first being River Bodies, I picked up on two or three references to the previous book. However, it wasn't enough that I felt out of the loop. The characters were very well written and had depth. The personal struggles of each one was detailed and made a connect ...more
Holly Friedman Pron
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thought I knew where it was going and I was wrong! Intense turn of events towards the end, well done!! I couldn't put this book down, so believable, too. Thank you, Karen, can't wait for the next one!!!
Suzanne
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
So good!

I definitely will read this book again! Kept me guessing until the very end.
These books (especially this one) are for adults. I don’t feel the topic would be good for children.
Sam
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than River Bodies - great characters. Powerful statement on mothers, daughters, & friendship. ...more
Donna Hines
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Secrets buried deep but can the truth be exposed?
It's freezing, it's December, it's PA and it's about to become chilling as Det. Parker must learn the grizzly details.
Look this is a case that's 30 yrs old and has everyone wondering what happened to the stepfather?
Truth is about stranger than fiction so be prepared as nothing is as it appears.
NOTHING!
Ruth
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Jen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cold Woods offers a different take on mystery/crime in a couple of ways. You would think the main character would play a larger role but instead, the author concentrates on the three friends and their families...and this makes the mystery more interesting. What actually happened to Trisha's stepfather? There are a number of secrets that come to light as the novel unfolds. The conclusion was also a bit unusual, but I liked it.

Read in March; blog review scheduled for July 30, 2019.

NetGalley/Thomas
Jane Pettitt
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh this book was so good, grabbed me from the first page! A small town with friends can you go back? Whose bones are in the woods? Loved the whole concept a must read!!!!!!
Tracy Wood
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
Tricia's hated stepfather disappeared when she was only eighteen, now though, back home for a friend's funeral, she is middle-aged and conflicted because his remains have been discovered. She is saddened by the hostility she experiences from those closest to her but knows everyone has secrets which need to remain buried and intends to stay close enough to make that happen.

This is a very good book, seen from various viewpoints and timeframes. The childhood Tricia moves onto the same street as he
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cold Woods 3 14 Sep 15, 2019 04:47AM

• Thicker than Blood (Zoe Bentley Mystery #3)
  • Last One to Lie
  • Beneath the Ashes (The Calderwood Cases, #2)
  • A Place Called Fear (Maggie Novak, #2)
  • Down the Darkest Road (Cady Maddix Mystery, #2)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • Gone to Darkness (Sydney Rose Parnell, #4)
  • Black Rock Bay
  • Scorched Grounds (Normal, Alabama, #2)
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • Expire (Dr. Schwartzman #4)
  • The Missing
  • Don't Make a Sound (Sawyer Brooks #1)
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler #2)
  • Don't Even Breathe (Maggie Novak, #1)
  • In the Darkness (Zoe Bentley Mystery, #2)
Karen Katchur is an award-winning suspense novelist with a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice and a master's degree in Education. She lives in Eastern Pennsylvania with her husband and two children.

Northampton County (3 books)
  • River Bodies (Northampton County, #1)
  • Spring Girls (Northampton County #3)