Start by marking “Vengeful Payback (Downfall #3)” as Want to Read:
Vengeful Payback (Downfall #3)

Vengeful Payback

(Downfall #3)

"The interweaving of characters and their schemes throughout the plot was masterful..." - 5 stars

Published October 1st 2018 by Athame Press

To ask other readers questions about Vengeful Payback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vengeful Payback

Start your review of Vengeful Payback (Downfall #3)
Linda Strong
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020

Someone is messing with Jane and Seth. They've finally got married, have an infant son and everything is just perfect. All except ... the young daughter Jane gave up during a bad time in her life. They are now pursuing all roads that may connect to the 6-year-old girl.

But then things start to go wrong. Seth is accused of murder. Their business is in jeopardy not of their doing. Their young son is abducted.

These are not random attacks. This is someone settling an old score, which is putting them
Diane Garner
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read.

Vengeful payback was hands down my favorite so far! Seth and Jane really did a 360, this is something I was really hoping for.

The story itself was thrilling, unpredictable, and enjoyable. Without giving too much away there are new charming little characters.

I enjoyed the other books in the series and the writing was well done. After reading this book I think the author really let loose, because it was just amazing. Whatever it is you are doing please continue, I look forward to read
Jenny
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vengeful Payback is a dark, gritty crime thriller, packed with suspense and although book 3 in Baylis’s ‘Downfall’ series it can be read as a standalone story as well. Jane Ellerton’s life is finally getting back on track, she’s happy, her and partner Seth Wright are together and have a family and her business is going from strength to strength. However soon strange occurrences start to happen and Jane realises that someone is cleverly engineering payback towards her, but who and why. Jane reali ...more
TopsieJ
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book! Brilliant series!!

The unease I felt reading the first book returned the deeper I delved into this one. The twists intensified and the dread that Seth, Jane and the other characters would revert to their old, gruesome ways was real.
The ending was brilliant and I honestly didn't want to finish reading. Highly recommended!
Grace
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Edie Baylis has a unique way of dragging you into this series, I've not done across many authors who show the characters at they're extreme worst, but make you love them regardless.
Seth & Jane are toxic as a couple, but the passion they have for each other overrides all the dark sides & they are unstoppable together.
Read all 3 book in succession. Glad I persevered with Book 1 as they only got better
Samantha Smith
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the third novel in the 'Downfall' Series and I was looking forward to reading this having read the second in the series 'Escaping the Past' previously. There is a warning for the reader with a more 'delicate sensibility' than me, that this book does contain written depictions of graphic violence, sex and strong language. It also covers certain themes that people may find disturbing.

Jane and Seth have finally settled down and enjoying the life that they are building together except they a
Ruth Matheson
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the series and although I haven't read the first two, the basis of the story is easy to pick up....and now need to go back and read them! It is a fast paced tale about Seth and Jane and their not so normal life. There are quite graphic details regarding sex, murder, prostitution and domestic disputes however this is made clear at the start of the book, and it didn't bother me - it probably only added to the story and took it to another level. The novel gives you charact ...more
Maggie Long
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Read

Wow! Edie Baylis sure know how to keep her readers engrossed as she gradually pulls them into the story. And what a story! Love, sex, prostitutes, murders, revenge; mix them together---the way Edie Baylis did----and you get a fantastical dark gritty crime thriller.
I had a problem with putting this book down until I'd finished reading it.
Downside: the story coming to an end. Well worth 5 stars +
Beccy Thompson
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
This is the third book in the series and although it would work as a standalone it really reads better as part of the series.
Finally it seems that Seth and Jane’s lives are coming together they are married, with a child and a successful business. But how wrong can you be, suddenly everything is falling apart – who is to blame and why.
A great read that kept me gripped until the last page- thank you
Sue Wallace
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vengeful payback by Edie Bayliss.
Jane’s life is going well. She’s happy and the business is going from strength to strength. Apart from one thing she desperately needs to complete her happiness, everything is good. Or it was, until slowly and surely things begin to happen which makes it clear something untoward is occurring.
A vendetta over an old score is putting Jane, her family and business at risk, but opinions as to who is behind this differs.
With suspicion pointing at anyone and everyone,
Pamela
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a good thriller book. Well worth reading. Enjoyed it alot.
Chris Tunnicliffe
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Seth and Jane appear to have it all, they are married, have a baby,a booming business,then it all starts to go wrong. Jane gave up a baby girl when life was not going so well and they have been trying to find her. Someone is making trouble between Seth and business associates and he needs to find out who. Themes of prositution,violence, are present but are there to show the evil of the people setting them up. Although this is book 3 it is a great read on its own.
Joshua Grffith
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Obsession and revenge makes for a thrilling tale

This story has plenty of suspense and drama, as well as many shady people that inhabit Edie Baylis's world of drugs and crime. Life is going beautifully for both Seth and Jane, becoming more reputable citizens due to running their club but as the light shines brightly on them, dark figures from their not so distant past lurk nearby, hatching out plans to bring the couple to their knees. There's plenty of plotting and scheming as Digger and Eliza se
Trudie Collins
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most of your favourite (and not so favourite) characters are back. This book has a number of different parts to the story and you are hooked wondering how and when they are all going to collide. The story is well thought out and the characters have moved on without actually changing.

This book grabs you and won’t let go. You find yourself dreading something bad happening to some characters and hoping it does to others. I found myself celebrating when one character dies because I was expecting it
Ellie Midwood
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Vengeful Payback” is the third book in the series and it certainly didn’t disappoint! I love a good dark, gritty read, and this was right up my alley. Jane and Seth finally had a chance to settle down and enjoy their family life and running a business; the only thing that was missing from an idyllic life was their daughter Grace, whom they still couldn’t locate. Only, old foes are also after the child and the intrigue that they’re spinning soon wreaks true havoc in everyone’s life.
I particular
J.M. Ralley
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fiction
What can I say. This series has improved with each book. Again, there’s a lot of POV changes - all clearly marked and a lot of people to get around. However, having met most in previous books, it’s a lot easier to follow.
I found this to be the strongest plot. Seth and Jane have fought to get where they are and I have loved following their story. It’s still dark and holds the suspension you expect. And more people from their past wantto destroy the world they have built up. Do they get a happy e
Jan McLintock
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced, gripping storyline. I finally had empathy with the main characters. Glad I persevered with this trilogy. The best was left til last. Really enjoyed this book
Lynn
Betrayal and vengeance at its best

Another riveting read in the lives of seth and jane. Only sad it is the last of the series but at least there was a happy ending for once, 5*
mrs d a swann
Pat Walker
Nov 02, 2020
Goodreads Librari...: Please update book cover 3 27 May 20, 2020 11:33PM
Goodreads Librari...: Adding book to series 3 19 Nov 14, 2018 05:46AM

• Reprisal (The Cardigan Estate Book 2)
  • Revenge (The Cardigan Estate Book 1)
  • Gold
  • Voice Of Reason
  • Ruthless Girl
  • 28 Grams
  • No Fear: An absolutely addictive gritty crime thriller
  • THE TROUBLE LEGACY: a totally gripping gangland crime novel (The Trouble Trilogy Book 3)
  • Ghosts of the Past: Haunted by the past...tormented in the present (Unfinished Business Book 7)
  • Why Me?
  • The Price
  • Jacky Boy's Climb (Ruthless Book 3)
  • Head of the Firm: An absolutely gripping and gritty gangland crime thriller set in Liverpool (Bad Blood, Book 3)
  • Circles of Confusion
  • Tangled Lives: A gripping new gangland crime novel (Risking It All Book 2)
  • Vixen (Georgina Garrett #3)
  • No Escape
  • MINE
Edie Baylis lives in central England with her partner, children and oversized nutcase dog. She has worked all over the country in previous occupations - some of which have been enjoyable, others not. Either way, she has met a lot of interesting people - some of which have helped to shape the characters in her books.

Reading has always been one of Edie's great passions and is a self-confessed book h

Downfall (3 books)
  • Until the End of Time (Downfall #1)
  • Escaping the Past (Downfall #2)

News & Interviews