Start by marking “24 Hours of the Phoenix” as Want to Read:

24 Hours of the Phoenix

"Sharp writing, a challenging mystery, and an exceedingly likable protagonist." — KIRKUS Reviews.

2019 NATIONAL INDIE EXCELLENCE® AWARDS (NIEA) Finalist in the “Thriller” category

Can you start your life over again the day you learn you’re dying?

Published November 3rd 2018
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about 24 Hours of the Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 24 Hours of the Phoenix

Start your review of 24 Hours of the Phoenix
Caroline Bertaud
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote
My debut novel is really, officially, and FINALLY out in the world, and, well, since I’ve read it over 13 million times my review is long overdue and absolutely, totally, brutally biased—and, yes, I’m well aware of the Atrocity of Adverbs, but today they are my friends. You’re all my friends!
I'm just so ridiculously happy and excited, there’s no other way around. So, yeah. Right. Breathing. In and out. In and out.
Okay. So anyway, this is an uplifting story that will appeal to readers as it explo
Carmina Valdizán
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book messed up with my mind a big time. I am overly analytic, therefore this book didn't make sense for the most part, of course once I reach the end, it all makes sense! Simply Brilliant! I’m glad I didn't give up and finish the book.
The narrative is fluid and you feel like Finn is talking to you all along, it's an active first person voice. I love Gabriel and what he means and represents for Phoenix. This is a book that defies logic and its about second chances.

“I realize how much the l
Michelle
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phoenix Collins may be only twenty-one years old, but she only has twenty-four hours left to live. At least, that’s what she overhears when she abruptly wakes up one morning in a hospital bed. She quickly tries to figure out why she might be dying but realizes she can’t remember anything at all. Finding herself trapped in the present moment with no future and no past, Phoenix impulsively jumps up and breaks herself out of the hospital.

So begins this fast-paced roller coaster of a novel by new a
Shohinee Deb
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on https://trailsoftales620253622.wordpr...
What is life?

Don't worry, I don't intend this to be a mind numbing philosophical contemplation. That is something my brain only engages in at the precise moment when I am about to fall asleep. But just humour me.

Is life just surviving from one day to another?

Or

Is it soaking in all the moments you have because you are never going to get them back?

But unlike you and I, Phoenix, the protagonist of Caroline Bertaud's upcomi
Katrin Schäfer
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
von Caroline Bertaud
BooksGoSocial
Cover:
magically beautiful
Review:
„Can you start your life over again the day you learn you’re dying?
Until yesterday, twenty-one-year-old Phoenix Collins had it all figured out: she was going to live forever. Not literally of course; nobody lives forever—she knows that, she’s learned it the hard way—but bearing a mythical name had convinced her that someday she’d have a fresh start, her life back on track.
Therefore, when she wakes up in a ho
Cat Chester
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE this story! I think the author has done an amazing job with setting the scene and building the world and characters for this story, and the story line itself is really interesting and engaging to read. Superb concept all round!

I particularly like how each of the chapters are structured around each hour of her 'last day' and each chapter really does take the reader on an exciting journey that moves very smoothly from one scene to the next.

The interaction between the characters i
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
This is Bertaud's debut novel and I really enjoyed it.  I have to say that I wasn't sure I was going to when I started but after the first few chapters I was engrossed and read the majority of it in one day.  Bertaud has written this really well and there are some unexpected twists and turns throughout.

It really makes you think about what you'd do if you found out you only have 24 hours to live......What would you do with your time? Who would you want to see? Would you be able to say goodbye?  T
Diane
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
24 Hours of the Phoenix by author Caroline Bertaud is an intriguing story which will hook readers who enjoy suspense and twists in the plot of a good book. This is a debut novel for writer Caroline Bertaud and she has written an amazing book. Phoenix Collins is twenty-one years old and as she wakes up in a hospital bed she overhears a doctor telling a colleague that she has about 24 hours to live. Phoenix is in pain, with a huge scar across her middle, and is having trouble recalling exactly wha ...more
Heather Bennett
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
24 Hours of the Phoenix is a book that I could not put down. It will capture your attention from the first chapter till the vary last page. I received this book prior to publication to review it and I can not wait to read another book from this author.
Imagine waking up in a hospital bed to only find out you are dying and only have one day to live. You are only 21 years old, what would you do with it. Phoenix is angry, can not remember what happened yesterday, why is she dying and why is this
Jacqui Park
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book prior to publication in exchange for an honest review.
24 hours of the Phoenix is Caroline's first book, and a book I found I had trouble putting down. Phoenix Collins, a young woman in the prime of her life, finds out she has 24 hours left to live, and we follow her tumultuous journey to come to terms with that fact, and the things she has done in her life that she needs to work through, and quickly.
The book is paced well, urging you forward to continue to see what happens t
Marguerite
I really really liked this book. It was well written and fast paced.
I also really liked the main character Phoenix. I think everyone can relate to one situation or another that this girl goes through, whether it’s parental loss, a bad breakup, a rebound “jerk”, to name a few. She has a sort of universal appeal.
And I loved the ending. I could tell something was going on, but was pleasantly surprised by how it turned out.
I would definitely recommend it and will most likely pick up a physica
Sandy Barker
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fast-paced, intriguing story which at its heart is an exploration of how to live a present and grateful life. The protagonist, Phoenix, is in a situation where introspection and sifting through memories are key to her understanding life - how she has lived it, how she wants to live it and what legacy she will leave behind. I have highlighted dozens of passages to come back to at a later time, because of how much they touched me and had me nodding 'yes'. This author has a unique turn of ...more
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I thought it started off a little slow but once I dove in I was hooked. I'm a little worried about talking about the book because of spoilers, but Phoenix is a likable flawed character who I really didn't want to die in 24 hours. Gotta say I called the twist about a quarter way through. That's okay. Getting there was a lot of fun! ...more
Aileen  (Ailz) Grist
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing novel. What would you do if you woke in hospital to hear a doctor say that you had 24 hours - or less - to live. This is about what Phoenix does. How much can she pack into her last day? It's a very moving 24 hours for Phoenix. She can't remember anything about how she ended up in hospital, or what she is dying from, just wants to say her goodbyes and live as much as she can.

I loved it - very moving.
Bertha Alicia
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of thanks to BooksGoSocial for giving me the opportunity to read 24 Hours of the Phoenix.
It is about the story of a young woman who hears that she only has 24 hours left to live. From that moment on, she begins to make changes in her life. When the reader thinks that he/she already has the mystery solved, the plot begins to get tangled up. It is an excellent book to stay entertained a few hours and the end is totally unexpected.
Janeandjerry
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it and it brought a lot of questions and unanswered questions to light and as it says on the cover What would you do if you only have just 24 hours left to live? This is how Phoenix live was and how it turns out... Hope you enjoy it just as much as I did
C bond
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
well written good read.
MoMo
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically written intriguing novel that will hold your attention hour by hour.

I was excited to read this book as soon as I set eyes on the cover image and the synopsis.  It was just my type of story.  Thankfully the author, Caroline Bertaud, was looking for beta-readers prior to publication and approved my request to read her debut novel.

The story had me hooked from the start right through to the final page. This gripping tale moves at an incredible pace, which it has to really as Phoenix on
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-m, netgalley
This book was provided to me via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Phoenix awakes in a hospital, unable to remember how she got there and why, and finds out she has only 24 hours to live. What will she do?

The answer is: have long monologues with herself, short conversations with other people and sex - three (or was it four?) times. Even though she's still injured from whatever incident got her into the hospital and to death's door in the first place because that seems healthy. Yup.

To be
Shreeya Sharma
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for the eARC.

This book answers the age old question "What will you do if you had only 1one day to live?" Phoenix Collins or Finn finds herself in this very position when she wakes up in a hospital bed with no recollection of how she got there, and overhears the doctor saying this. The concept was amazing and had me hooked from the very start. The format of the book is unique with each chapter describing an hour and counting down Finn's impending doom.

Howe
Catherine
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Amit Bathija
Apr 11, 2021 rated it did not like it
Why why was this book ever written. Was author drinking when writing this.. Its so so pathetic. My precious hours got wasted. My mistake I should have stopped but looking at ratings and reviews I thought it will have really good Ending. But no how wrong I was...

To start with when 2 people are having conversation that phoneix doesn't have more than 24 hrs to live, she gets up from hospital and leaves thinking that yes she is dying and should do some good stuff
.. What the hell man how can u just l
Christine Norvell
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Too much grit and gristle for my taste, yet…Bertaud’s novel digs through the mind and nature of her protagonist Phoenix in a fascinating, albeit animalistic, way. We think this is her everyday life, we think there’s a hint of danger, and by the end, we our rewarded for staying the course of the story. And I do admit making the conscious choice to finish.

[Not for the faint of heart if language and sex bother you, and if you’re familiar with the broody anti-heroes of Andrew Klavan’s early novels,
Patricia
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this free from NetGalley and the publisher for a review.
It was hard to get into this book. Part of the problem was Phoenix, I just did not like her very much. I found her selfish and unsympathetic. The redeeming character was Gabriel and the huge twist at the end. Wow! That is the only reason this is 3 stars.
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Thank you to NetGalley and Caroline Bertaud for this eARC in exchange for an honest review! This is Bertaud's debut novel and I enjoyed it for the most part!

This book asks the question "What would you do if you had 24 hours left to live?" Thrown into this position, 21 year old Phoenix navigates her emotions and life review in this novel. The premise and format is fairly unique as each chapter constitutes an hour in the countdown that is supposedly left of her life. This format served to break t
Sue Jaskula

• The Kurdish Bike
  • The Unbreakable Child
  • The Sisters of Glass Ferry
  • The Last Lie
  • CyberStorm (Cyberstorm, #1)
  • Surviving The Forest
  • Cities of Gold: A Journey Across the American Southwest in Pursuit of Coronado
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • That Month in Tuscany
  • White Stag (Permafrost, #1)
  • One Way Ticket to Paris
  • Fury (Menagerie #3)
  • Athena's Champion
  • Secrets of the Chocolate House (Found Things, #2)
  • Bagging Alice

Caroline Bertaud is a member of the Women’s Fiction Writers Association and of the Société des Auteurs et Compositeurs Dramatiques since her early years as a professional screenwriter in Paris.

News & Interviews

“Though my eyes are closed, I’m aware of every single breath I take; of my bare feet sinking into the grass, gripping it gently in a caress; of the soft swaying of my body; of the breeze curling around my fingers as if it were to take my hands and invite me to walk with it for a short while; of my soul opening like a thousand Jacaranda trees in full bloom.” 0 likes
“All I could make out was that I was in a private hospital room and that no one was by my bedside. The door to my room was slightly ajar, and the two men talking right outside in the hallway probably thought I was still sleeping. I’m sure they didn’t intend for me to overhear them. Their conversation pierced my ears all the same.” 0 likes