Start by marking “Creature Carnival” as Want to Read:
Creature Carnival

Creature Carnival

Published April 2nd 2004 by Hyperion Books (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Creature Carnival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creature Carnival

Abigail
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Read & Enjoyed "Monster Museum"
Marilyn Singer and Gris Grimly, the author/illustrator team responsible for Monster Museum , return in this second collection of poems devoted to the unusual and monstrous creatures of the world. Twenty-three poems introduce creepy creatures of all kinds, from the slimy Frog Prince to the biblical Behemoth and Leviathon, all on offer as part of the titular "carnival," through which a group of children are being shepherded.

An enjoyably creepy collection, Creature Carnival would make an excellent
Alison
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The poems are okay. I love Grimly’s illustrations. I like the brief explanations of the creatures at the end of the book.
Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)

Goodreads Summary

This collection of twenty-six poems features some of the creepiest, funniest, most bizarre, and fascinating creatures from myth, legend, and popular culture. Marilyn Singer has written more than sixty books for children and young adults, including Monster Museum, the companion book to Creature Carnival. She and her husband divide their time between Brooklyn, New York, and Washington, Connecticut. Gris Grimly made his picture book debut with Monster Museum. Since then he has ill
Shacoria
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is another book that was illustrated by Gris Grimly. As usual, the pictures were great. They were creepy while also maintaining a comedic element. This book centers around a bunch of different creatures, like gargoyles and tricksters. Some of the rhymes in this book are strange and don't flow very well. Otherwise, it is a pretty interesting book.
Brittany
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book even more than the Monster Museum book by the same author. It was a fun read for our Halloween poetry tea time this week, and we didn't quite finish it so it will be brought out next week too.
Lindsay
Nov 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: c-halloween, c-poetry
CREEPY!!!
Katie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably the most badass children's book I own.
Lindsay Ross
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the artwork! Very Tim Burtonesque!
Erin
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
POETRY- Creature Carnival is a nice themed poetry anthology with beautiful yet haunting illustrations that would be great for upper elementary students. Each of the 26 poems focuses on a different character from myths, legends, fables, and pop culture. With varying rhyme schemes and character focus, each poem lends itself to a different class discussion. The "Featured Creatures" glossary at the back is a nice touch as reference for both students and teachers alike.

Students could use this book
Ariel
Apr 28, 2016 added it
Shelves: wishlist
I have to admit, as far as Gris Grimly's books go, I do like this one quite a bit. This book honestly just screams Creature Feature (The Band) to me, and having Gris as the illustrator pretty much made this book perfect. I did feel like this book was more of a song book then "Sipping Spiders Through a Straw" was, or at least that's how I read it. Most of the stories and words rhymed together so perfectly that you could read it as a song book. I would definitely pick this book as a one for kids o ...more
Susan
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Poetry themed for a creature carnival, a concept sure to capture the imagination of children (and I just had a lot of fun unintentionally using all those letter "c"s) and a fun choice for Halloween time. Would also be a good book to use in a class and have them write poetry around a theme. I especially liked the "Featured Creatures" glossary in the back. The same illustrator from the witty ABC picturebook, The Dangerous Alphabet by Neil Gaiman.
MC Bonet
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting. In places the rhymes fell short for me, but most where very clever. I specially liked the monster facts at the end of the book. It is definitively not for everyone. Your child (and you) must enjoy this type of art. I would not categorize it as grotesque, but it is definitively not pink and flowery, like other picture books.
Kayla
The illustrations are the best part of this book. The illustrations are funny and colorful. They are exciting to look at and are very detailed. While the pictures in the poetry book were wonderful, the poems were alright. some of them were very funny and some of them I just didn't enjoy as much. Overall, it was a good book of poetry though.
Shelli
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Creature Carnival is another fantastic collaboration between Marilyn Singer and illustrator extraordinar Gris Grimly. Dare to enter the Creature Carnival and learn about twenty-six of the most bizarre creatures from mythology, fairytales, fables, and cinema. The impressive vocabulary, creative poetry and fact filled afterward are all stellar.
Melki
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The poems didn't thrill me, though I appreciate the inclusion of so many fairy tale and mythological beasts.

As always, Gris Grimly's artwork earns an A+++++++++++++++++++++++

description
Robin
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Many allusions to characters throughout literature and mythology make this collection of poems a true gem. Combining them with Gris Grimly's illustrations makes this a must-read for all slightly-warped bibliophiles.
Sam
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
It was kind of disgusting.
Ashley
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: circus
Didn't enjoy the poems as much as the pictures. They were okay, but some were boring. On the other hand the pictures were amazing!
Gabrielle
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: schlow
Such fun!!!
Jaimie
Apr 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Grimly's illustrations are always entertaining, but I tire of Singer's forced and awkward rhymes. Clearly she should stop trying for a perfect rhyme, since she clearly can't quite get it.
Grace
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A little above my son's head. But we enjoyed it.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
LOVED the illustrations! I must read more books illustrated by Mr. Grimly (great name!).
Nicklas von
May 24, 2017
Aude Lising
Apr 07, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Marilyn Singer was born in the Bronx (New York City) on October 3, 1948 and lived most of her early life in N. Massapequa (Long Island), NY. She attended Queens College, City University of New York, and for her junior year, Reading University, England. She holds a B.A. in English from Queens and an M.A. in Communications from New York University.

In 1974, after teaching English in New York City hig