Start by marking “To Dream Is To Die (The Dead Dreamer, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Dream Is To Die (The Dead Dreamer, #1)

To Dream Is To Die

(Dead Dreamer #1)

Eighteen-year-old Brenna Whit is entering college as a freshman and starting to meet new people, but she hides a dark secret. Because of an accident that happened three years ago, her spirit wanders the Fade whenever she falls asleep. It's something she wants to keep hidden from the world, but when she sees someone watching her in spirit form, she fears the secret's out. ...more
Published January 8th 2019 by The Parliament House (first published August 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about To Dream Is To Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Dream Is To Die

Start your review of To Dream Is To Die (The Dead Dreamer, #1)
Dianne
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She was dead for six minutes, but the diligence of the rescue team brought her back, but something had changed in Brenna Whit and she is determined to never reveal her dark secret. Brenna no longer sleeps in peace, when her eyes close, her spirit traverses the Fade, and now someone has discovered her secret and she is not alone in her abilities. Meanwhile, beyond the Fade lay trouble as the doors between other worlds beckon her spirit while on the Earthly plane, someone is willing to do anything ...more
Candace Robinson
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First, finally a NA book that isn't revolved around men's abs! I loved the college setting, too. It was like if Buffy were in college with Xander and Willow, but instead of vampires it was a unique spirit type of world!

Brenna was an awesome MC. She was funny and sarcastic and not annoying! Can I just also say that my favorite character was Damon! I want to keep him in my pocket and carry him around with me along with his awesome personality!

Loved the descriptions, the world, and the writing! I
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
***3.5/5 Stars***

To Dream Is To Die was a story that kept me turning the pages. It all unfolded so effortlessly and each time we were given a piece of the puzzle, there was still so much I couldn't wait to learn more about. There was a few different mysteries along with some twists and turns that kept me guessing. So if you adore paranormal stories, set in college, then definitely check this one out.

Brenna Whit was a dark, snarky college student who ended up dying three years ago. She came back
Gerardo Delgadillo
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TO DREAM IS TO DIE … Sounds ominous, right? And yikes!

NA adult paranormal–come to me!

I really like this book’s premise, and if you think about it’s quite spooky. Meaning, imagine you die for a few minutes and come back. Changed. In the weirdest way imaginable. Now, imagine going to sleep just to be awake again in a different plane where lost spirits reign. You get the gist of the story? That’s why I “yikes!”

Okay–betcha that after a while, it won’t be a big deal for Brenna, right? Wrong, because
Sheila Goicea
Read this full review along with others at: Foals, Fiction& Filigree.

I received a copy of this book from the author, Sarah Lampkin, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my review or rating.

description

Content Warning: Death, Injury, Underaged Drinking/Partying, Premarital Relations, Promiscuity
The day I died was the day I started to live with the dead.

Brenna is entering her first year of college. Like every other normal teen, she’s anxious for the new stage in
Katherina [Book-o-Craze]
ENTER AN AMAZING GIVEAWAY AND READ MORE ABOUT THE BOOK HERE!

One is the eternal question human beings revolve around:
What happens after death.

Well, I have to admit, this brand new series by Sarah Lampkin is giving a quite interesting interpretation of what exists beyond our dreams and imagination. And, she did make sure the plot accompanying that interpretation would be exciting and intriguing.

But, first things first. Let's start with our main character, Brenna. A former party-girl who used to
Justine
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-request
See this review and others at Whispers & Wonder

Power was a kind of drug, more dangerous than most. And I had tasted it.

To Dream Is To Die is the first entry in Sarah Lampkin’s debut paranormal fantasy series Dead Dreamer, and is a beautifully crafted and creative tale of acceptance and loyalty. It thoroughly highlights the effects of secrets kept and the highly volatile consequences of dabbling in the unknown that affect not only a singular person, but all those they’re involved with. It’s a
Kari Marie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. I had a hard time putting it down.

I think the original description does a great job describing the book without revealing anything so I am not going to do a description.

This was a cool different world. Yes there was a special snowflake but its not born to be a special snowflake just circumstance. I liked that there wasn't an instant romance for the main character. There were twist and turns that I did not expect which was great. I hope the second book is just as
Amber Hodges
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow this book! I knew it sounded interesting but i had no idea how sucked into the pages I was gonna get! I loved every page and was sucked in from page one and even now being finished, I want to keep reading and know what happens.

I loved Brenna. I usually dont like the female leads but I have to say that isnt the case here. She was such a strong character even when she had moments of stubbornness.

Aeria and Damon are also 2 characters I couldn't get enough of. It was refreshing to have
H.M. Gooden
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read with a different take on what it means to be a spirit/ghost/demon. When Brenna heads to college, life gets interesting in more ways than one. At times the book seemed to skip ahead without advancing the plot, but overall, a good read with some unique ideas. My biggest complaint is that although not a cliffhanger exactly, I was left feeling as though the story wasn’t resolved. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
wonderfullyweird88
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three years ago Brenna Whit was in a horrific car accident and was dead for six minutes before she was resuscitated. since then, every time she goes to sleep her spirit wanders the Fade/ spirit world. Now she is starting college as a freshman and hopes her secret will remain hidden but one night after discovering strange seals on a tree she is horrified when she finds someone staring right at her.

As Brenna discovers more about the world she now inhabits there are dangers lurking around every
Dax Munro
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review coming early February (Blog Tour: daxwrites.com)
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!
Where do I start? This book wasn't what I was expecting after reading the blurb about it, I have mixed feelings for this book, and I'm torn between rating it a 2.5 and 3. It took me a while to get into and I wasn’t sure about it but it eventually picked up; the last 30% of the book was when I really was sucked in, andreally brought the story to life, so I'm giving it a 3.5, just because of that.

The main character Brenna was in a car accident that caused her to enter into
Jessica Smith
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can find this review and all of my others over at www.readbookrepeat.wordpress.com

I received a copy of this book from the author via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Brenna Whit is eighteen and just beginning her foray into College, she's hoping that this will be different than high school, that she won't be seen as the withdrawn freak, that she'll actually be able to make a friend or two. Mostly she's hoping that her strangeness won't effect her life how it did in high school.
Anto Butera
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
 description

In a way, this wasn't an easy book to review.

One of the bigger reasons why, is because I was expecting something different. I requested this book for review through NetGalley under the New Adult category. And honestly? Besides the fact the story takes place on a college campus, there were no real elements of NA to be found.

description

~The characters were freshmen in college, so barely 18 years old.

~Brenna, our MC, didn't really go through any sort of self-discovery journey. At the end of the book she
Julie Porter
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Spoilers: What happens when we die? Do we go to our particular versions of the Other World? Do we hover around this world with unfinished business? Do we fade away into nothingness?

Even more mysterious are near death experiences, those who have been to the Other Side only to return with tales of bright lights, relatives telling them their work isn't finished, and a new purpose when they return to share their story and make the world a better place.

Sarah Lampkin's book, To Dream Is To Die which
Katherine Paschal
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
**3.5 Stars**
Brenna is excited to get away to college where she has a chance to be someone new, not the odd girl who died that she was known as in high school. But what nobody knows is that ever since she died and came back to life, Brenna does not dream- instead when she sleeps her spirit leaves her body and experiences a different realm she calls the Fade, where ghost, demons and fairies live. When a boy actually sees her outside her body, Brenna realizes that there is a lot about this
Emilė
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I really enjoyed this book except for a few drawbacks. To begin with, the premise of the book was creative and interesting. While it's not fast-paced and one could even say there isn't that much plot development happening, I loved simply hanging out in this world, finding out about the supernatural elements bit by bit together with the characters and exploring the mysteries.

Moving forward, some reviews have talked about how this book should not be considered new adult because the main character,
Kat
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the perfect swing from Young Adult to New Adult. If you've been wanting to try a new, more mature genre, I think this is a great book to start with.

We follow the main character who is off on her own as she starts college and all the crazy, new things that come with being on her own. But she isn't like most college students since she is essentially dead. After a tragic accident in high school, whenever she falls asleep, her soul is whisked out of her body and ventures into this
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Welcome to college......and the fade, where we meet Brenna Whit, a witty, intriguing, enigma of an eighteen year old. She has a secret....her spirit wanders the fade while her body sleeps and she's been seen!

Brenna is my favourite character, she ticks the boxes that are a must for a young adult/paranormal book. She's strong, loyal and fierce, with a lovely sarcastic streak that warms my sarcastic heart.

Brenna becomes friends with Aeria, a fun, fiesty red-head who will gladly fight her
Melanie
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgallery
To Dream is to Die is the first part in the Dead Dreamer series. Having just got back into paranormal books I was looking forward to reading this one. There aren't many books on the market based around dreams etc so it made for a unique subject. Add to that we have the Fade with ghosts and demons, my hopes were quite high!

Although listed as a new adult/romance paranormal book, I felt this could have easily say in the YA category. Yes there is mentions of drinking, drugs (Although its more Pot
Monica
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
To Dream Is To Die: The Dead Dreamer Series

[Small Spoilers]

This book was an intriguing and fast past read! The plot was unique and one that I had not personally read before. I found the idea of Brenna (main character) being able to come out of her body at will to be a really great idea. I also felt like Lampkin provided the reader with a complex narrative, that remained cohesive, which I was thankful for. At times I did feel myself becoming annoyed or aggravated with characters and that is when
Emily
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
To Dream is to Die is the first of the Dead Dreamer series, and it starts with a REALLY intriguing and unique premise. The main character Brenna was in a car accident that caused her to enter into the Fade, a type of spiritual plane, when she falls asleep at night. I'll admit this book isn't a genre/topic that I typically choose to read but I couldn't put it down after about halfway through the book! The beginning started out a bit slower for me but once the story picked up, I needed to know ...more
Becky Rendon
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Talk about a conversation starter...I was dead once now I can walk amongst the dead. To Dream is to Die is a uniquely entertaining "ghost" story. A young college freshman has to deal with going to classes and fitting in. It might be easier if she didn't walk with the dead every night!

I am thoroughly intrigued by the concept and highly excited for the next book. I have a feeling Sophomore year is going to be twice the mess that was Freshman year. Good thing Brenna has backup!
Valeria Orlando
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I struggled a little with this book, I have mixed feelings about it. The things I liked the most are the main characters, Brenna and her sarcasm, her streght and her relationship with Damon. I like that the demons are little mischievous creatures and not bad. The fairies instead are evil but we don't know much about what they do. The villains in this story are humans that interfer with the natural order and use their devious believes to hurt other creatures and other peoples. What I didn't ...more
Antonella's book world
4 STARS

YOU CAN ALSO FIND THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG https://antonellasbookworld.blogspot....

To Dream is to die is a paranormal novel set in college. The main character, Brenna, is a girl who died few years ago and 'resuscitated' after six minutes. She has a weird ability since her death: when she falls asleep her spirit goes out of her body and wonders around.
I wasn't really sure about this book at the beginning, only because of the kind of story behind. I wasn't sure the author would have been
Alice J.
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everything in Brenna's life is changing from going away to college to making friends. She's kept herself locked away so long that it's difficult to adapt but she makes two close friends and with a little persuasion (and after being caught out!) she finally decides it's time to confess her secret.

The secret that Brenna has carried since her accident is certainly unique and it has been a burden for her to bear until she starts figuring things out with her two friends but then it seems, there are
Jamie Hunt
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the premise of this book, it is very different and fresh in the genre. It took me a little time to get going in the beginning but I was totally hooked by the end. If you like paranormal fiction, you’ll like this. I can’t wait to see how this story develops. I’m in fir the long haul!
Rika Jue
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I read about wandering spirit while sleeping. Usually the wandering spirits do not longer have a body or can return to their body. However, that is Brenna, brought back to life because she did not feel the time to die yet. I like the explanation of how she became that.

As much as Brenna is the main character, I prefer Aeria and Damon. They moved the story along while Brenna deals with routine college life, assignments and the unwanted wandering. The relationship between
Laura ( Latteandbooks )
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This book really intrigued me with the synopsis of it Brenna had died in a car accident and was only dead for a few minutes then the EMTs were able to bring her back. In the minutes that she dead she was in limbo or in the book is called Faze, when she wakes up, she can only re enter when she goes to sleep her spirit wanders around in the faze. There are Demons and Fairies in the story as well and the take that Lampkin to with this one is that the demons are the nice ones and the fairies are the ...more

• Clouded By Envy (Laith, #1)
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Dream Keeper (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Lullaby of Flames
  • Stolen (The Stolen Series, #1)
  • Veiled By Desire (Laith, #2)
  • This Will Kill That (This Will Kill That, #1)
  • Two Thousand Years (The Empire Saga #1)
  • Reylor's Lament (The Empire Saga #1.1)
  • Wandering in Wonderland (Book #1)
  • Collateral Damage
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Lineage
  • Treyan's Promise (The Empire Saga #1.2)
  • Meatspace
  • The Demon Kiss (Rite World: Blackthorn Hunters Academy, #1)
  • Refraction
  • Unspoken (Unspoken, #1)
A native of Richmond, Virginia, Sarah Lampkin is a 2015 graduate from Lynchburg College [University of Lynchburg] with a master’s degree in English. Since graduation, Sarah now lives in Northern Virginia working in the IT field while continuing her research for her graduate school thesis. When she isn’t working, Sarah continues her Celtic mythology research and Gaelic studies, while working on the ...more

Dead Dreamer (3 books)
  • To Wake The Dead (The Dead Dreamer Series Book 2)
  • To Reap the Spirit (Dead Dreamer #3)