Start by marking “The Necessaries: Stories” as Want to Read:
The Necessaries: Stories

The Necessaries: Stories

The narrators of these thirteen wildly original and unforgettable stories all know what they want, and are surprised to find—in poignant and sometimes painful ways—that what they need is something else entirely. Whether they are starting a romance or ending one, raising babies or rescuing a friend, running an advice column or the most powerful country on the planet, their ...more
Published November 13th 2018 by Paradisiac Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Necessaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Necessaries

Mary Davidsaver
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Misty Urban has an imagination that spares no one from her keen literary observations. Readers are treated to an impressive collection of short stories from mischievous children to a harried president. From a darkening friendship to an enlightening escape. From many POVs that are totally new. All are well worth our attention.
Michelle
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it!!! I loved the writing style and the stories. It is the kind of book that makes you think when you’ve finished the story, not everything is wrapped up in a bow when the story is done as my friend laments about some books that tell you exactly what happens next. I wanted to meet some of the characters, especially Lulu! Well done!
Mary Howard
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here and there, throughout the title story in The Necessaries, the protagonist Luci asks her friends, “What is the one thing you can’t live without?” (The one necessary thing.) Answers she gets vary, naturally: food, sex, love. Religion. Art. Air. Eventually someone says, “A woman I can talk to,” and the story takes a turn. In this story, as in many others in this marvelous book, characters have bona fide, often energetic conversations, dialog overlapping like real-life banter among friends. The ...more
Shirley
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just read this for a second time. If you love short stories, buy this book! You'll want to own it.

I love the poetic descriptions in Smoke Inhalation, so precise, so telling. That might be my favorite story in the collection. But....it depends on the day.

I picked up the habit of highlighting important passages when I was in college, and I never stopped. Now I highlight lovely language. My copy of this book is full of yellow highlights.

Beautiful!
Amy
Nov 25, 2018
Xixuan
May 21, 2019
Misty
Sep 30, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kariann Farrey
is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2018
Annie
marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2018
Misty Urban is a fiction writer, medievalist, essayist, teacher, and curator of femmeliterate, a blog about feminism, literature, and women in/and/of books. She holds a Ph.D. in Old and Middle English and an MFA in fiction from Cornell University and currently lives, after several peripatetic turns about the U.S., in eastern Iowa.