Start by marking “Night Shift (Night Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night Shift (Night Trilogy, #1)

Night Shift

(Night Trilogy #1)

In New Angeles, crime is part of the daily business of running the city. But when a routine murder investigation starts turning up more questions than answers, homicide detective Harold Peterson finds himself unraveling a decades-old conspiracy that leads him to the highest echelons of the mob and the city government. As various threads start to come together, the big pict

Published October 12th 2018 by Kyanite Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Night Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Shift

Start your review of Night Shift (Night Trilogy, #1)
Jessica Betts
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid Noir Writing - Quick Read

I've spent the past week reading Raymond Chandler, so when I say that B. K. Bass has managed to take hold of the noir style I'm not just talking about the vague one-off aesthetic you might get from a TV show that has dedicated a single episode to a quirky black and white detective plot (I know, oddly specific). This is actual noir, with the kind of grit you expect from your chainsmoking beat cops. In an enjoyable twist Night Shift is set a bit in the future, and Ba
Crystal Kirkham
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nitty Gritty Delight

This is a well written book with compelling characters. BK did a wonderful job of building a believable in-depth world. His voice and descriptions added richness to a well-crafted tale.
Unlike many detective novels, I didn't find the plotline predictable. There were plenty of twists and turns to keep me guessing.
Don't be too worried about the ending since this is done in more of a chapbook style. Leaving you to wonder 'what next?'.
Overall, I enjoyed reading it and I wish the
Phebe Yawson
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I laughed. I cried. I examined the story. I fell in love and became so involved I forgot I was reading and became one with the story. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for part 2...very creative and fun story
Jim
Reminiscent of the classic serialized pieces from early noir mags such as Black Mask. Call it Future Noir or Cybernoir, it’s a gritty fun read.
Michael Nadeau
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well color me satisfied! This page turner kept me guessing all the way to the end, through twists and turns of descriptive settings you are drawn into a world that blossoms in your mind. The only problem with it? It ends before the story is fully known.....now I have to wait for book 2!
K.D.
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nightshift, book one by B.K. Bass, was a fun and exciting read that I thoroughly enjoyed. The story takes place in futuristic New Angelas, where homicide detective Harold Peterson is called to investigate the murder of a woman. His investigation tosses him into a stewpot of peril and finds himself mixed up in the upper echelons of the mob.
B.K. has woven a story laced with humor, sci-fi, and leaves you expectant of the next book in the trilogy. I thoroughly enjoyed Nightshift. Five-stars!
Kati Felix
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novella kept me gripped from the dark beginning to the darker end. I need more, and I can't wait for the sequel. All the best parts of noir and crime in a real and futuristic world. The MC, though rough around the edges and a little bitter, was still hugely likable and I rooted for him even when his actions were questionable at best. The mystery kept me guessing, and the following books will no doubt answer all the questions I still have. ...more
Jill Squire
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This gritty tale pulled me into the world of noir detective epics. The writer seamlessly pulls off a 1940’s feel in a futuristic setting, resulting in a fun, nostalgic & engrossing read.

An enjoyable, “sink your teeth into it” page turner! I was sad when Night Shift came to an end and I look forward to Book 2 of the trilogy!
J.L. Peridot
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Damn, what a thriller! This story is fast-paced, well-written and weaves a web more intricate than you’d expect for a book of this size. Worth picking up if you like a hard-boiled protagonist, urban grime and that hot pressure cooker vibe of an overcrowded dystopia.
Willie Handler
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What's not to like about this book? It's fast-paced, funny, dark and a real page turner. Night Shift is a unique combination of sci-fi and crime story. Looking forward to Book 2 of the trilogy so I can find out what happened to the main character. ...more
Eric Lahti
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Night Shift made for a fun read. Bass has pulled the hard-boiled detective out of the past and present and dropped him head-first into an ugly future where the country has fallen apart. But for all the technology floating around in the story, human nature is still human nature and there are still bad people doing terrible things. It's just the way the world works. There are still jerks, they just have better computers. And cyber-hookers.

Read the whole review on my blog
Veronica Asch
James J
Jun 26, 2019
Dawn Hosmer
Sep 29, 2019

• Dead Boat (The Dead Trilogy Book 1)
  • What They Deserve
  • River (The Beginning of the End #1)
  • Fairy Tale Lies (Opposites Attract, #1)
  • Urban Gothic
  • Mind's Horizon
  • Pastoralia
B.K. is an author of science fiction, fantasy, and horror inspired by the pulp fiction magazines of the early 20th century and classic speculative fiction. He is a student of history with a particular focus on the ancient, classical, and medieval eras. He has a lifetime of experience with a specialization in business management and human relations and also served in the U.S. Army.

B.K. Bass is als

Night Trilogy (2 books)
  • Night Life (Night Trilogy, #2)

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...