Start by marking “The Disappearing Dwarf (Balumnia, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Disappearing Dwarf (Balumnia, #2)

The Disappearing Dwarf

(The Balumnia Trilogy #2)

Life as a man of leisure was becoming a bit dull for Jonathan Bing, Master Cheeser, so he welcomed Professor Wurzle's invitation to visit the empty castle of Selznak, the Evil Dwarf. There they chanced upon a treasure map. Soon Jonathan, his wonderpooch Ahab, the Professor ad Miles the magician set off by boat for the location of the treasure - the unknown city called Land ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published January 12th 1983 by Random House Inc (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Disappearing Dwarf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disappearing Dwarf

Tom
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Between the ages of 13 and 15, James P. Blaylock was one of my favorite authors (and still is; just, my tastes have expanded since then). This is the sequel to The Elfin Ship, and a better book in my opinion. I like Blaylock's ability to imbue his books with a great sense of wonder. In this book, Jonathan Bing, the cheese maker from Twombly Town, sets off on a trip down the river to visit his friend Squire Myrkle, the next King of the Linkmen. Linkmen, since you asked, are smaller than people, b ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
James P. Blaylock's The Disappearing Dwarf
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - March 14, 2017

I just read Blaylock's 1st bk, the predecessor of this, The Elfin Ship, less than a mnth ago so one might think that reading this now means that I'm enthusiastic about Blaylock's writing & just cdn't wait to get more of it but it was more of 'house-cleaning' activity. reading this one meant that I cd finish w/ Blaylock & have all of his bks in my collection up on the shelves & out of m
pdarnold
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
What a joy! I love disappearing into this world. There is a joy of wonder and the creepy to make your skin crawl as well as the laugh out loud moments. Once again there is a motley crew of characters with new additions too. I am glad I didn't read this when I was younger... I have the pleasure of reading these stories "as if" I were a youngster now!

There is as always high adventure, mystery, travel to another world, strawberries and coffee to go cuckoo for. There's a missing squire, a creepy wit
Margaret
This sequel to The Elfin Ship follows the further adventures of Jonathan Bing, Master Cheeser, and his friends, as they venture into the unknown world of Balumnia in search of the missing Squire Myrkle. Blaylock is good at balancing the fun with the creepy, generally, but I don't think he does it as well here as in the first book; everything is just a touch too grim. Still, it's a worthy sequel and entertaining.
Charlie
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audible.com audio book, read by Malk Williams.

The further adventures of the adventuring cheese maker and his dog. Jonathan Bing and his group travel to the magical land (parallel universe) of Balumnia in search of the missing Squire. The machinations of the evil Dwarf, now under another name, provide the group with many a nasty turn.
David
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sequel to The Elfin Ship. Blaylock pays off some of the big picture issues from the first story while retaining the fairy-tale elements and the small scale of the story. Some big setpieces in this one top Elfin Ship, particularly the riverboat under assault by a witch and zombies in the dark of night.
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to Elvin Ship is a tad darker than its predecessor, but still full of whimsical elements like a magic bag capable of producing an endless supply of marbles and the Strawberry Baron who is obsessed with brewing the perfect cup of coffee.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-1992
It's one of those hard to describe funky blends of fantasy, science fiction and humor.
Eric Orchard
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A great series in the tradition of The Hobbit and Wind in the Willows. Highly recommended.
Kevin
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sequel to the Elvin Ship
Jake
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual, but still told well.
 Croe
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
OK. I actually laughed out loud in a couple of places. I'm glad I was reading this for work, though. I probably wouldn't have kept at it just for fun. Part two of a trilogy.
Roland Volz
Blaylock's previous book in this series was basically a children's fantasy version of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. I'm interested to see where he'll go next.
Pickle
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
4/5

took me 74 pages to get into this but once i was it was an enjoybale wee read.
David Monroe
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The second book of the adventures of Jonathan Bing, Master Cheeser, and his friends. Like most second books, it's darker.
Emily
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the Elfin Ship, which I have read several times. This was my first "read" (audiobook, actually) of the Disappearing Dwarf. It has the same characters, but the story wasn't as appealing. And it was rather darker than the first one, too.
David Katzman
A bit darker and more violent than The Elfin Ship, but still quite amusing and a charming read. Selznak turns out to be a much crueler and more devious villain than he seemed in the previous book. all the great characters from Book 1 return, and the dry British humor is still at the forefront.
Allen Garvin
More of the same as the Elfin Ship. There are nice moments here, but the spark of originality and wonder was, for me, mostly missing, and it seems to mostly retread the same ground.
Merlot58
Jun 19, 2013
Hiro_protagonist
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2)
  • To Live Forever
  • Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley
  • Rumors of Spring
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
  • Crashcourse
  • The Well-Favored Man: The Tale of the Sorcerer's Nephew (Argylle #1)
  • Faces Under Water (The Secret Books of Venus, #1)
  • A Fish Dinner in Memison
  • The Phoenix and  the Mirror
  • The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith
  • The Starry Rift
  • Tales From Earthsea & The Other Wind (Earthsea Cycle, #5-6)
  • Jerusalem Poker (The Jerusalem Quartet, Volume 2)
  • The Tree of Swords and Jewels (Arafel #2)
  • The Synonym Finder
  • A Storm of Wings
  • The Trouser Press Record Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Alternative Music
James Paul Blaylock is an American fantasy author. He is noted for his distinctive style. He writes in a humorous way: His characters never walk, they clump along, or when someone complains (in a flying machine) that flight is impossible, the other characters agree and show him why he's right.

He was born in Long Beach, California; studied English at California State University, Fullerton, receivin

The Balumnia Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Elfin Ship (Balumnia, #1)
  • The Stone Giant (Balumnia, #3)