Start by marking “Winter Tides (Ghosts, #2)” as Want to Read:
Winter Tides (Ghosts, #2)

Winter Tides

(The Ghosts Trilogy #2)

Fifteen years ago, Dave Quinn swam out into the winter ocean to save two drowning girls -- identical twin sisters. He was only able to save one.Now, years later, he meets Anne, a struggling artist from Canada. He has no idea that she is the child he saved so long ago. And he has no idea that Elinor, the long-dead sister he couldn't save, has come with her...
Published November 1st 1998 by Ace (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Tides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Tides

Start your review of Winter Tides (Ghosts, #2)
Fantasy Literature
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in Winter Tides, though it's probably not fair to blame James P. Blaylock for my disappointment. It's not his fault the cover copy doesn't accurately describe the novel's actual subject matter. It's also not his fault I'm a big enough ballad geek that when I see the words "Anne," "Elinor," "sisters," and "drowning" in the same sentence, I immediately think of "The Cruel Sister," a heartbreaking ballad of love and sisterly betrayal. Between the cover copy and a ballad reference ...more
Samir
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book starts off slow and clumsy, but wow am I glad I stuck with it! By the end I couldn't put it down. I was invested in many of the characters, but mostly the whack-job psycho. Set in modern day Southern California, with blandly normal people leading blandly normal lives awakening to very abnormal events around them, the book has a great sense of pacing and suspense.

Dark, creepy, and weird.
Nathan
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes ghost stories, surfing, or California
A solid, spooky ghost story, haunted by regret, and tinted with the cold, salt-spray of winter surfing the California coast. I'm a sucker for a good ghost story, and few novels have done it better than this. Highly recommended.
Patrick Barry
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite Blaylock novel that I've read so far. A man who was able to save a young girl from drowning years later meets the girl and the twin sister he was unable to save. The girl and her rescuer begin a romance. As can be assumed in a horror novel, the sister is not exactly thrilled by this. She inspires an already odd character on to arson kidnapping and murder. I enjoyed this novel.
Travis
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Jeremiah Genest
Contemporary supernatural horror from one of the best in that game. When surfer Dave Quinn saved a young girl from the sea, her twin sister eluded him and drowned. Now, 15 years later, Dave still lives in Huntington Beach, Calif., where he builds scenery for a theater warehouse owned by the rich Earl Dalton--this despite frequent clashes with Earl's creepy eldest son Edmund, whose interests include black magic, snuff movies, and defrauding Earl of various properties. The warehouse's latest emplo ...more
Riana
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anne Morris leaves her home in Victoria, Canada, and hopes to make a new beginning. Perhaps even put the past behind her. She feels drawn to Hunting Beach, which is no surprise, as this is the very place where her sister died years ago. It is a surprise, however, when she meets the man who saved her on that cloudy, rainy day from drowning, but couldn’t save her sister. Nor did she expect to find a stalking psychopath who claims to have a spiritual connection with her sister – or more accurately, ...more
Diana
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this because I was jonesing for a ghost story and another Goodreads user recommended this book. Although it wasn't the ghost story I was looking for, it was still an atmospheric story about the darkness that haunts minds. It started out slow, but came to a solid, satisfying conclusion.
Tim
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
More serious and spooky than James Blaylock's earlier books, "Winter Tides" is a novel that's not quite up to Blaylock's top standards but is a reasonably satisfying minor work. In this ghostly tale, the writer relies more on atmosphere than on quirky characters.
Patrick
First read in 1999 (possibly late '98).
Gray
Jun 09, 2015
John I
Jan 24, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Endicott Mythic F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Winter Tides - Who's Reading? / Discussion 9 12 Mar 05, 2014 03:53PM

• The Oxford History of Ireland
  • Monstrum (Constantin Vadim, #1)
  • Skin and Bones
  • King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • The Golden Lion (Courtney #14)
  • Codex
  • Thirteen Hours (Benny Griessel, #2)
  • No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden
  • Birdman (Jack Caffery, #1)
  • Child 44 (Leo Demidov, #1)
  • On the Fifth Day (Thomas Knight, #1)
  • Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956
  • The Mask of Atreus
  • The Castle in the Forest
  • Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
  • The Smoke Jumper
  • Black Sunday
  • Maar ik heb helemaal geen centjes voor de begrafenis; 33 jaar ambulancehulpverlening
James Paul Blaylock is an American fantasy author. He is noted for his distinctive style. He writes in a humorous way: His characters never walk, they clump along, or when someone complains (in a flying machine) that flight is impossible, the other characters agree and show him why he's right.

He was born in Long Beach, California; studied English at California State University, Fullerton, receivin

The Ghosts Trilogy (3 books)
  • Night Relics (Ghosts, #1)
  • The Rainy Season (Ghosts, #3)