Start by marking “Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)” as Want to Read:
Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)

Potkin and Stubbs

(Potkin and Stubbs #1)

In the corrupt metropolis of Peligan City, Lil Potkin, a determined young reporter, is on the lookout for a scoop. One rainy night she meets Nedly, the ghost of a boy that no one else can see. Nedly has been looking for someone to believe in him ever since the investigation into his disappearance went cold. When they discover that his death is connected to a series of myst ...more
Published March 7th 2019 by Piccadilly Press

To ask other readers questions about Potkin and Stubbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potkin and Stubbs

Start your review of Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
Eleanor Grace
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this, a new MG fave! Full review to come.
Emma
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For everyone who’s been enjoying Series of Unfortunate Events, Trollhunters, or Hilda on Netflix recently, this book is for you. A must for fans of the incredible Ruby Redfort, this gritty mystery is paced in a way that rarely happens in middle grade fantasy/mystery - each part is polished, plotted, and executed beautifully. Lil is a fantastic spunky lead and I already love her. The illustrations are superb, and the fact this is a series makes me very happy. Also, nice to see a present yet far f ...more
Cas Meadowfield
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ghostly happenings

This is MG -- nine years upwards, ghost partner of a wannabe reporter.
Brilliant, exciting and fun. The characters really made me care about them, especially Lil and Nedly.
Might be a bit scary for some children of this age group. PG?
Me? I'm already looking at the next book which is out in september.
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of wannabe reporter Lil Potkin, and what happens when ghost Nedly Stubbs comes to her for help with solving his murder. First of all, I adored the setting of Peligan City- it was very noir-esque and reminded me rather of Blade Runner`s version of 2019, though this book is considerably less miserable and brooding in tone that than that film was, so I liked it far more. I really liked the titular duo and their bantering back and forth dialogues with each other, as well as how muc ...more
Helen Scrivener
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Potkin and Stubbs - A brilliantly written debut that is funny, tender, and so evocative that I could almost hear the blues music and persistent rain that mirrors the gloom of Peligan City. As well as a page turning mystery the interaction between the main characters is masterful.
Carolyn
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A brilliantly written Noir that uses the tropes of the genre to great effect without exploiting them so much it descends into spoof. Peligan City is a brilliant Gotham-like creation (Rorschach asylum. Arkham, anyone? Also, isn't the character Rorschach from Watchmen supposed to be a bit crazy? Then again it could be that it's just named after Rorschach blots and I'm reading too much into things) and the characters are equally great, our trinity of protagonists being Lil Potkin, a determined 'Loi ...more
thefatflatcat
3.0

This was much creepier than I had expected! Really spooky in some places, I enjoyed those parts a lot! The atmosphere was created really nicely. Unfortunately, I guessed the mystery reveal early on, also I found the main character Lil to be nosy and annoying. Some of the actions she took were just absolutely unrealistic or simply impossible for a 10-year old (driving a car, lifting a fire-extinguisher, etc.). I guess for someone of that age it has to be cool to read about a same-a
Helen
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you buy your 11 yr old a book and you start reading it in the checkout queue and you don’t stop till you’re finished and that’s a sign of a really good book!
Familiar but fresh, timeless, placeless, it reminded me of a kids version of gritty Gotham City. Looking forward to reading more about Lil’s detective work and wondering if some of my guesses about her background are going to be revealed.
LB
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit of a dark one, dark politics, missing orphans, arson and hopeless, alcoholic ex policemen. Lil Potkin is a preteen detective who comes across the ghost of a missing boy Nedly. Together they uncover a dark plot to weaponise tortured souls and find out what happened to Ned. It's not a bad little story, and it looks there might be more as this is numbered One. Not a bad first read of the year!
Nicolapedia
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was terrific fun! I've been on a middle grade kick recently (six or seven books) and this story that mixes crime noir with the supernatural is my current favourite. I thought the writing was both descriptive and snappy. And I enjoyed how the 12-year-old main character was a 'tough-talking dame' 😂 I see that a sequel is coming out soon - I'll definitely be checking that out.
Rebecca Rouillard
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can almost imagine the detective noir soundtrack and the jaded voiceover that would narrate this book. Lil Potkin wants to be a reporter but when she meets a new friend with a secret she gets sucked into a murder mystery that will uncover all sorts of crime and corruption in the city of Peligan. An entertaining mystery with a dark and gritty tone.
Cheryl Baird
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I have read so many great primary fiction this year and this one is no exception, I do love a good mystery and this one involves ghosts. It is a murder mystery and it is not too scary or violent and it looks to me like there could be more to come. I do love Nedly and Lil they are great characters.
Would recommend this for years 4,5 and 6.
Maylan Murray
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Children’s Adventure Noir!! Ooh, if I had this book when I was a kid, I would probably have become a journalist/detective of some sort.

It was fun and exciting. I love this book because it does not talk down to young readers and the main character isn’t treated like she’s just a kid playing at being an adult.
Prissewis
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book! The reason I love middle grade so, so much! It’s dark and twisted, the writing was fantastic and Lil is the most precious character out there! 🥰💙 Can’t WAIT to pick up the sequel! ✨
Karen Broughton
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across this book by chance in a Waterstones, thought I would give it a go and was hooked from the start. aimed roughly at 9-11 age group, don't let that put you off i found it very enjoyable.
got the second book in the series on pre order.
Sophie (RedheadReading)
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an adorable take on crime noir! Enough clues so kids can work things out for themselves, but with some genuinely tense moments.
Lisa
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's like Bogart, Nancy Drew and Casper teamed up to solve crime in this Noiresque supernatural mystery! Loved it!
Noodles78
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic start to, hopefully, a lovely long series.
Grace Machon
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved it. Very series of unfortunate events,
Bethwyn (Butterfly Elephant Books)
Pretty good. I didn't connect to the characters as much as I would have liked, and I found parts a little problematic (spoilery, so won't mention here), but overall quite gripping.
Rachael
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 rounded up.
Vincent Ripley
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book review here: http://www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.co... check it out!
Francesca Armour-Chelu
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
In rain sodden, graffiti strewn Peligan city, where mayors are crooked and free speech oppressed, twelve year old Lil, a wannabe reporter, discovers her super power; that she can see ghosts…. Well, one at least; a little boy called Nedly who doesn’t even know he’s dead and needs Lil to find out the how, and why, of his untimely demise.
The two team up, and enlisting help of P.I Abe Mandrel, now as washed up as the city he once served, the investigation gets underway, drawing the trio ever c
Imie (mythicreader)
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Thank you Bonnier Books for sending this my way.

9-12 has recently seen a rise in great detective crime books, Potkin & Stubbs is no exception. This wonderful book takes the genre with a twist by adding some ghoulish characters into the mix. It's imaginative, it's immersive, and full of great atmosphere. The protagonists Lil Potkin and Nedly make up a great crime solving duo that will make you laugh and keep you turning the pages. A fantastic read and full of brilliant illustratio
Laura Kenny
Ellie
Jun 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Adding an illustrator 3 12 Jun 01, 2019 01:07AM

• Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • High-rise Mystery
  • The Land of Roar
  • Gribblebob's Book of Unpleasant Goblins
  • The Boy With the Butterfly Mind
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
Sophie Green writes children’s fiction and short stories. She has a degree in zoology and an interest in folklore and urban legend. She was born and still lives in East Anglia and works as a librarian for Suffolk Libraries.

Sophie’s first novel, The Last Giant, was shortlisted for the Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition in 2011 and her second, Potkin and Stubbs, was shortlisted for

Potkin and Stubbs (2 books)
  • The Haunting of Peligan City (Potkin and Stubbs #2)