Start by marking “The Ghost Manuscript” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Manuscript

The Ghost Manuscript

Rare book authenticator Carys Jones wanted nothing more than to be left alone to pursue her obsession with ancient manuscripts. But when her biggest client is committed to an asylum, he gives Carys an offer she cannot refuse. In exchange for his entire library of priceless, Dark Age manuscripts, Carys must track the clues hidden in a previously unknown journal, clues that ...more
Expected publication: April 2nd 2019 by Post Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Manuscript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Manuscript

Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Ghost Manuscript by Kris Frieswick is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. I really enjoyed the first half of this book. It had good action, suspense, mystery but then it went side ways. The author decided to kill off not one main character but all of the main characters except the lead. I expected her to go at any time! Quite upsetting last half. Everything the the book lead up to was knocked down! Too bad, it started out so good!
ABCme
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Whatever you do, never ever stick your nose in an old book to sniff up the smell of paper ever again. You hear me? Keep out! Or weird stuff will happen!

While appointed by her auction house to appraise a collection of books from the Dark Ages, Carys' expertise is requested by the owner to research a specific journal from the year 550. This work by a monk who travelled with King Arthur presumably holds the key to Arthur's tomb and the treasures buried with him.
Carys makes herself at home and prett
Bill
Feb 13, 2019 added it
DNF. Lost me at King Arthur. May pick it up again later. Maybe. Oh, hell who am I kidding. Probably not.
Bandit
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had all the right ingredients, but then again it was also by an unknown author and from an unknown publisher, but then again…ghosts and manuscripts, yes please. Plus it was very much a bibliomystery and I love those. Still, don’t think I was prepared for how much I liked it. It was like a grand adventure, the sort of treasure hunting adventure I normally expect and don’t especially enjoy from the likes of Clive Cussler, but pleasantly testosterone free, actually well written and smart. ...more
Joyce
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I read the Kindle edition.

Carys Jones is a rare book authenticator who is happiest when immersed in manuscripts and books from the earliest centuries of Great Britain. She gets a request from a wealthy man’s son to examine and value his Dark Ages books and manuscripts for sale at auction.

While perusing his fabulous and extensive library, Carys comes across a journal she has never seen before. It is written in Latin and very early Welsh by a monk. It is the first hand account of something
Annette
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2018
A fast paced story that I found hard to put down. It kept me guessing to the end. I’ve been a huge King Arthur fan forever and found this very intriguing! Loved it!! Thank you Netgalley for the ARC!!
Stephanie
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you know me, you know this kind of history-based story is right up my alley. I was not disappointed.

This book is about a rare book authenticator who comes upon the job of a lifetime. She is tasked with using an ancient manuscript to locate a piece of history that will change everything. However, she is not the only one searching for this artifact, and she finds herself in a race to locate it.

I love this kind of story, and I found myself flying through the pages to find out what would happen
Jan
A rare sixth century codex, an American obsessive collector who seems to have gone round the bend, a gifted scholar masquerading as a housekeeper, a true villain and his despicable henchman who call England home. That's pretty much the ancillary cast, because the main characters are the rare book authenticator and the visible presence of the writer of the book; a monk who followed and was at the death of the man who was to be known later as King Arthur.
Lots of stress and suspense, bloody murde
Benjamin  Wawn
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommend
I really enjoyed this book, thoroughly entertaining and maintained a fast pace throughout its entirety. Carys Jones, the main protagonist is well thought out and easy to connect to. She starts out as a rare book authenticator hired to evaluate a library of ancient manuscripts which is where she becomes entangled in the journey of one particular manuscript and the journey it describes.
The plot line is engaging although sometimes predictable, this didn’t put me off the story though by any means.
Luise
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.
I really enjoyed the first part of the book - Carys felt like a reluctant Indiana Jones, and the action was exciting and non-stop.
However, at the point in the story where the characters return to Boston, the whole thing began to feel a bit drawn out. There was too much going on, too many people introduced and the big reveal of the bad guy wasn't a surprise at all. The ending wasn't really an ending and seemed flat and h
Debbie Hathaway
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC. What a fantastic story about seeking knowledge and the lure of finding Arthur. I was captivated from the beginning to the end. It has everything; conspiracy, murder, Arthuriana, treasure, history, and the love for ancient manuscripts. I highly recommend this novel for anyone who loves great historical fiction and for those who love the idea of finding a lost manuscript that leads to a thrilling discovery.
Celia
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked the main character and found the bad guys intriguing. For me the beginning was enjoyable, and I liked the Boston location(where I live). When I picked up the book, I did not realize that it would be about King Arthur. So when I got to the middle, I thought this is going to be a stupid book about King Arthur. However, the book ended with a twist.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Lady_Starkov
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was fast-paced and the plot was well written. I loved the historical aspect of it. I highly recommend this book. Part-Indiana Jones, part-Laura Croft, The Ghost Manuscript offers a unique take on Arthurian legends. For me, it was a little hard to get into and I found it not very engaging, but it picked up and finished strong.
Liz Hatcher
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received as an ARC from NetGalley. See my review on their website.
Dianne Wawn
Partho Nominee)
Jan 21, 2019
Jypsy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Ghost Manuscript is like The Mummy and Tomb Raider. Carys is a rare book authenticator. When she is tasked with finding King Author, she travels far and wide for answers. She also gets help from a 1500 year old monk. Not strange at all, right? The story is engrossing and will catch your attention and keep it. Carys is smart, clever and strange. I enjoyed this story and would recommend. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Margaret
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Ghost Manuscript is an adventure, thriller, mystery in the style of Indiana Jones, Laura Croft, and Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt. I loved the main character, Carys Jones, who gets sucked into a client's fantasy and never looks back. With the help of a 1500 year old ghost whose manuscript she's working, she chases one of the greatest mysteries -- the legend of King Arthur. I really enjoyed the ride! Highly recommend!
Patricia Uttaro
Nov 26, 2018
Sue Blanchard
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thankyou to NetGalley, Post Hill Press and the author, Kris Frieswick, for the opportunity to read an advanced readers copy of The Ghost Manuscript in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.
I am so happy I received a digital copy of this book. The premise of the story was extremely appealing and I knew it was something I wanted to read. And, I was not left disappointed.
To say I loved reading this book is an understatement. I thought the storyline was extremely well written and the characters i
Anna Szabó
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed The Ghost Manuscript very much. I love books and books about books even more.

The lead character is Carys Jones. She is a book authenticator. I wish I had a job like that, spending all my time with rare books. She lives for her job. So she doesn’t have any personal life. But the reason for that is her past. Her mother’s suicide and her father’s leaving her made sure of her current lifestyle. One day she gets an offer she can’t refuse. She is contracted to find something that would chang
Annarella
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining and fast paced book. I liked the style of writing and the plot.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC
Sid
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book more intriguing than interesting and that kept me going through this book. There were certain times when I felt the book to be confusing but it was never not entertaining. Overall I enjoyed it and will look forward to another book by Kris Frieswick. A big thank you to NetGalley and Post Hill Press for giving me the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange of my honest review.
Catherine Peterson