Start by marking “Voodoo Child” as Want to Read:
Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child

Often cited as one of the most innovative and influential rock musicians, guitar legend Jimi Hendrix had a short and turbulent life, succumbing early, as did many other rock icons of his generation, to pressures generated by the conflicts between their creative visions and the economic imperatives of the music industry. He died of an overdose in 1970 at the age of 27. This ...more
Published November 27th 1995 by Studio (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo Child

Start your review of Voodoo Child
Javier Muñoz
Cómic biográfico de Jimi Hendrix. Dibujo excepcional de Bill Sienkiewicz, no podría haber pensado en un artista mejor para esta obra, perfecto tanto en las representaciones realistas como en las oníricas o en la representación de ideas, el trabajo de un genio...

Y entonces por qué le pongo tres estrellas??? pues porque el guión no me parece creíble, nos retrata a un Jimi casi angelical, un ser inocente cuya única preocupación era su arte, que fue engañado y llevado por el mal camino por las malas
John of Canada
The cd included with the book was new to me and really good.This was a graphic novel/book and the artwork was very psychadelic.A worthwhile history of the greatest electric guitarist ever.
Villain E
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, non-fiction
Wait, what? There's a biocomic about Jimi Hendrix illustrated by Bill Sienkiewicz? You have failed me, every Essential Comics list ever!

I mean, sure, the writing is a bit tepid, but it still achieves a good depiction of an artist who just wants to explore music and is unwilling or unable to navigate the business side of the music industry.

But the art! In a perfect compliment to Hendrix's music, Sienkiewicz's artwork moves expertly from realistic to abstract, rough to polished. There are pages,
Malik
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel blew me away. I randomly saw it at my local library, picked it up and two hours later I find myself back in the real world after taking an adventure of a lifetime through the eyes of Mr. Hendrix. Through the eyes it was, I'm not sure how much of the words were from Jimi's notes, lyrics, and letter's and how much was martin green himself. Though It doesn't matter because the whole story blends in the only way, I could ever imagine seeing Mr. purple haze.
I'm not a big Hendrix
Tania Brizuela
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite chaotic and mysterious. This illistrated book is inspiring and powerful in the way the amazing artwork seems to peak inside Jimi's thoughts and emotions as it shares his captivating lyrics. Simple and beautiful.
DeadWeight
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I totally forgot that I read this.
Bob Garrett
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel utilizes the comics format to produce an unconventional biography/tribute to Jimi Hendrix. A graphic outline of Hendrix’s life is interspersed with excerpts from Hendrix’s song lyrics and private writings, as well as with conventional dialogue and captions. It’s hardly the most in-depth study of the famed guitarist, but then, a standard prose format works best for that, anyway. This book tells the story in the way that only a comic can, and for that alone, I give this high ...more
Aapo
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: musiikki, sarjakuvat
Pätevä paketti: huolella tehty taustatyö ja näkemyksekäs visuaalinen toteutus painettuna kiiltävälle paperille ja sidottu koviin kansiin. Kirjan liitteenä oleva cd sisältää Hendrixin kotinauhoituksia, jotka eivät ehkä muuten olisi olleet julkaisemisen arvoisia, mutta tässä kokonaisuudessa ne antavat ihan viehkon "päänsisäisen" näkökulman.

Kirjan käsikirjoitus on melko perinteinen rock-legendan elämäkerta: toimii, mutta ei suuresti yllätä. Kuvakerronta taas on hyvinkin kerroksellista eikä kaikkia
Maria Skyllas
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: Liked book list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...
La vie de Jimi Hendrix, de son enfance à sa mort, en passant par les difficultés rencontrées alors qu'il tentait de percer en tant que nouvel artiste et les tribulations dues à la célébrité. J'aurais aimé que l'auteur s'attarde un peu plus en détails sur sa vie amoureuse et ses relations intimes.

Mais la plus grande force de ce livre réside en sa qualité graphique. Les illustrations de Bill Sienkievwicz sont tout à fait sublimes. Son style est unique quand on le compare à ce qui se fait
Dusty
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hardbound, what would now be called a 'graphic novel'. Illustrations are wonderful, and really build on the tone and mood.
Not a complete biography of Jimi, but an impressive and expressive telling of his story.
But wait - there's more: it also comes with a short CD of "home recordings". Most sound like he's sitting on his couch working on his songs. But it has my favorite version of "Angel".
B. Jay
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fantastic graphic arts approach to the glory and haze that was Jimi's life. Perhaps less detailed or clear than more formal biographies, Voodoo Child does an excellent job of conveying the emotional impact of the music and life of a rock god.
Peacegal
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this biographical comic. VOODOO CHILD is proof that rock legend comics don't have to be filled with lazy artwork (I'm looking at you, John Lennon comic book creators.) The art in VOODOO was a real joy that captured the spirit of Hendrix's famous music pretty well.
J.C.
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Great art. Not so great on the story. Technically didn't actually finish it but I looked at all the pictures so good enough.
Jefferson
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A surreal trip through the life of Jimi Hendrix, with some incredible artwork by Bill Sienkiewicz at the top of his game.
R.K. Cowles
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
3 1/2 stars
Kev Ketner
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The actual story and dialogue of this book are rather unimpressive. But the real reason I got this book was for Bill Sienkiewicz' artwork, which is top notch here.
Julian

• Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics
  • Law of the Desert Born: Stories
  • The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • The Jungle
  • God Hates Astronauts Presents 3-D Cowboy’s 2-D Spectacular! (God Hates Astronauts #4)
  • The Wilco Book
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude: How to Find, Build and Keep a Yes! Attitude for a Lifetime of Success
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
  • The Mystery Boxes (Explorer, #1)
  • The Rain in Portugal