Start by marking “Hammond” as Want to Read:
Hammond

Hammond

“Earnest . . . Compelling . . . successfully captures the anger, frustration, and freedom of kids on the brink of adulthood.” -Kirkus Reviews, Recommended Review

A group of troubled but charismatic boys in a tough Buffalo, NY neighborhood play basketball at a local park and dream of winning a state high school championship. Driven by raw talent and killer instinct, they
Published December 18th 2018 by Almendro Arts

To ask other readers questions about Hammond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hammond

Start your review of Hammond
Archit Ojha
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three Words: Original, Poignant and Memorable!

Hammond is a story of a high school boy from Buffalo, New York who dreams of wining the Basketball State Championship one day, no matter what it takes.

His only problem?

Well, he can't seem to get rid of the idea that Devil has got the hold of him and everything he does, Devil has something got to do with it.

Generally, you might find it normal, just some teenage issues. But not for our protagonist here. When he is stuck on an idea, it becomes very d
Pooja
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-pages
When you have dreams and you want to conquer them, nothing can stop you and that's what this book is about - dreams and fulfilling them. A coming of an age story, filled with emotions, friendship, goals and family issues. More than anything else, the protagonist is dealing with mental problems and that's the reason, life is a bit difficult for him. His zeal to win the Basketball State Championship, keeps him going on and on. It was humorous, interesting and enjoyable for me.

An exceptional work
Audrey
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

This review is based on an ARC of Hammond which I received courtesy of the author, Jonathan LaPoma. (THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE YOU!)

This is the book that marks Jonathan LaPoma as my favorite underrated author. I had already loved his style of writing after reading The Summer of Crud (one of my favorite reads this year; see my review here), but Hammond really drives the point home.

Storyline aside for a moment, let me talk about Jon LaPoma's talent with prose. This book is simply o
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
Hammond by author Jonathan LaPoma is an intense, disturbing fiction story that follows a mentally ill boy on the basketball courts of Buffalo New York. The book is raw and dark but also humorous! The characters are well structured and the plot is thick, making Hammond a great book for those looking for a read that takes you into a whole other world (so to speak).
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of Hammond in exchange for an honest review.
Yawatta Hosby
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***I received an ARC so I could give an honest review***

I really enjoyed this coming-of-age novel. It starts with Jimmy, and his friends Ray, Gerry, and Tony being in the sixth grade. Jimmy had a crush on Julia who ended up breaking his heart. With so much drama and angst packed into this novel, Jimmy never really recovered.

Even though Jimmy was the main character, I felt something more for his older brother Dan. Maybe because he was a mystery. Dan was depressed, and I felt bad for him, wishing
Adam Lottes
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jonathon Lapoma does a great job of balancing the gritty cruel adult world with undying hopes and dreams. In Hammond James, the narrator/main character, is a young man leaving childhood behind as he enters high school and then graduates. All the while his love of basketball keeps him going.

Wonderfully written! I’m a huge fan of Lapoma’s work. Make sure to pick up his other books - his work does not disappoint.
Cristie Underwood
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Amazing read! The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
Jennifer Willison
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent, deep book with very well written characters.
Edwin Howard
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-10-in-2018
HAMMOND, by Jonathan LaPoma, is the story of James Lombardi, a young man gifted with basketball talent and drive to succeed. James also struggles with what he calls "Evil Thoughts" which are all of the negative thoughts, scary future outcomes, and hatred he thinks other people have about him. As James matures from a young 6th grader to a mature high school graduate, James constantly battles his inner demons but they become harder and harder to keep at bay and threaten to overwhelm him completely ...more
Sandra Burns
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting.

This is about a dysfunctional family, and basketball. Young guy, loved bball for an escape from his family. Well written.
Grady
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The beginnings of a coming of age series

California author Jonathan LaPoma not only writes novels (five to date) but also screenplays, poetry and songs! He earned his BA in history and a secondary education credential from the State University of New York at Geneseo, gathered ideas or seeds for future novels from his travels both the US and Mexico, began writing and winning awards for his works, and now teaches secondary school in San Diego. The handsome young artist explores themes of alienation
Yuuki Nakashima
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Since the main character is mentally ill, it’s dark and depressing novel. However, it’s also somewhat humorous, so it didn’t make me feel tired while reading it.
The depressed boy’s daily life was interesting to read. Although I’m mentally healthy, some of his thoughts were understandable. Probably many people have had similar thoughts and feelings that the boy had in this story even if you are not medically depressed. The author is good at depicting adolescence.
I like this book as a rock fan as
C.A. Lear
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superbly written...
John Stevenson
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Has its moments. Quite dull and the ending was a let down.
Nick
Feb 10, 2020
Michael Perrucci
Aug 25, 2019
Lee
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read! About a young man, mentally ill but gifted with basketball talent who is driven to succeed. This story takes us to a whole different world that doesn’t exist for most of us. I was fortunate to receive this novel from Netgalley as an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for an honest review.
Alicia Sowa
Oct 31, 2018
Glenda Williamson
Nov 22, 2018
Jonathan LaPoma
Nov 28, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommended to Jonathan by: https://jonlapoma.com/works/books/ham...
Meredith
Randall Decker
Jun 02, 2019
Chhaya
Aug 05, 2019

• The Border (Power of the Dog, #3)
  • Satori
  • Battleground (The Corps, #4)
  • Line of Fire (The Corps, #5)
  • The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2)
  • Counterattack (The Corps, #3)
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • Close Combat (The Corps, #6)
  • Suitcase Girl (Abby Kane FBI Thriller #7; Suitcase Girl Trilogy #1)
  • Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)
  • The General's Daughter
  • Suspicion
  • Semper Fi (The Corps, #1)
  • Broken Trust
  • The Bartender's Tale
  • Work Song
  • Plum Island (John Corey, #1)
  • The Girl Puzzle: A Story of Nellie Bly
Jonathan LaPoma is an award-winning novelist, screenwriter, songwriter, and poet from Buffalo, NY. In 2005, he received a BA in history and a secondary education credential from the State University of New York at Geneseo, and he traveled extensively throughout the United States and Mexico after graduating. These experiences have become the inspiration for much of his writing, which often explores ...more