Start by marking “When Stars Come Out” as Want to Read:

(When Stars Come Out #1)

Anora Silby can see the dead and turn spirits into gold coins, two things she would prefer to keep secret as she tries to lead a normal life at her new school. After all, she didn’t change her identity for nothing.

As it turns out, hiding her weirdness is just one of many challenges. By the end of her first day, she’s claimed the soul of a dead girl on campus and lost the
Published October 31st 2018

Start your review of When Stars Come Out
Giselle
Oct 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
ARCs can be requested here: [closed - other review opportunities found here] ...more
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

When I started this book, I immediately though of the movie “Sixth Sense”. The heroine sees dead people but as she puts it, Souls. She can interact with these Souls and even capture them. It is definitely not like that movie. There are many similarities to other novels I’ve read lately (secret non humans) but the storyline is still captivating.

Anora sees Souls and her mother thinks she is crazy. This all started when her grandfather died and she saw his soul escape. Her mother move
Crystal
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read the kindle version of this book previously to reading the paperback. I always try to read the paperback version because I like paperback versions much better. They read better for some reason in my opinion. Anyhow, after reading the paperback version I not only liked this book but understood ebook better.
Even though I read the ebook, when I read this paperback version of the book I found myself wanting to keep reading because I wanted to know what happened next. When I read a book for
Erhi Divina
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really like this book! This book proved two of my prejudices wrong:

That paranormal stories are not as fun as high-fantasy stories –WRONG!
That the romance are gonna be ordinary and cliché –WRONG!
OKay, first of all the story was enticing. So many mysteries imbued right from the first page, which will make readers want to read the next page and the next page and the next page. I’m DEAD SERIOUS, tomorrow I have an anatomy exam but I cannot stop until I see the last page! And the mysteries are buil
Natalie Westgate
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars (rounded to 4 because GR doesn't do halves).

I can honestly say when I started When Stars Come Out I didn't think I'd like it. The reason was because the writing was really adjective heavy - in particular colours being told like a list to be checked off. But, after the initial descriptions of places and people, the writing style flowed more and pulled me in.

But the plot is what kept me reading. I actually didn't want to put the book down because the story (and world building) really hoo
Charity Rowell
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: onmykindlebr
I received a free copy of this book and opted to share a review.

When I read the blurb, I thought this book had a "grim reaper-in-training" vibe. I was so wrong, and it's definitely not what I expected! Elements of the plot are inspired by Greek mythology; some adhere to the well-known interpretations of Greek myths while others are imaginative elaborations of their mythological counterparts. This is not a critique of the differences between the academic perspectives and St. Clair's perspective o
Cate
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
*I received a digital review copy from the author through Xpresso Book Tours. This does not affect my review.*

I loved reading this! The cover and blurb intrigued me, but there's always a risk in reading books from authors who are new and/or unknown. I've found many amazing books by reading from authors that are just starting out, or who have reached out to me in some way, but as with anything else, it's hard to know when you've found something special until you've really looked at it.

I love the
Scarlett Clair
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Update 7/4/18:

The cover reveal for When Stars Come Out will be on Friday, September 21, 2018. You can sign up here: http://xpressobooktours.com/2018/06/1...

For more information and exclusive content, please signup for my newsletter: http://authorscarlettstclair.tumblr.c...
Favour Olanrewaju
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Hmmm
Jkj
Angelique C
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. I am not typically someone who is interested in paranormal romances but this book altered that opinion a bit. The plot was amazing. St Clair drew me in from the first page and I just couldn’t wait to find out what happened. She also did a good job of not revealing who was responsible for the missing coin and ensuing chaos and keeping the reader in suspense until the end. I also thought that world building was pretty good. I loved learning ab ...more
Nina
Jan 25, 2021 added it
I really enjoyed the book. great mc and romance + fantasy. Unfortulately there's no second book of the series. ...more
Katherine Paschal
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anora has been given a chance to start fresh after what happened at her last school, and she better not blow it. And that means keeping quiet about the fact she sees ghosts and can take people's souls- you know, the usual. Things are changing in the running of the Valryn, and Shy is not sure it is for the better. When he is given an unexpected assignment to guard the future leader of his people, Shy knows there is something more going on that what he was told.

The first thing that app
Tonja Drecker
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This tale dives into the world of spirits, demons and the afterlife with chills, thrills, and a bit of mystery along the way.

Anora and her mother have moved to a small town. Anora attends a new school with the hopes of leaving the past behind. But even the first day doesn't go as smoothly as she hopes. Despite her attempts to stay off everyone's radar, she, as the new girl, not only draws attention but runs across a unsettled spirit, which won't leave her alone. In panic, Anora accidentally rele
Nicol
Hannah
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
When Stars Come Out

This story dives into the world of spirits, death and the afterlife with chills, thrills, and mystery through the journey.

Anora and her mother have moved to a small town. Anora attends a new school with the hopes of starting a fresh with no tales of the past to haunt her. However, this doesn't appear to last long as on the first day the day doesn't go as smoothly as she planed. Despite her attempts to stay off everyone's radar, being the new girl only brings attention to her.
Nicole
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WHEN STARS COME OUT, the latest YA fantasy from Scarlett St. Clair, brings the supernatural into the halls of high school with a humor and heart that reminded me of my Buffy the Vampire days.
Anora Silby arrives at Nacoma Knight Academy with a dangerous secret—she can see the dead. And at Nacoma Knight, the dead seem to be everywhere, including hanging off a campus hall on Anora’s first day.

Determined to blend in and leave her supernatural past behind, Anora’s attempts at homecoming prep are co
alicia
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fab

I read previous reviews about this book and didn't really believe the hype. With that in mind I started it and finished it in two sittings. I loved it. Quirky characters, mystery, thrills twists and turns this book delivers it all. A fabulous not to be missed book.
Anie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Received from Xpresso Book Tours

I didn't expect to like When Stars Come Out as much as I did. My favorite thing about it was the mythology, it was very thought out and I haven't read anything like it. I loved slowly discovering the magical system with the characters.

Anora and her mom move to another town to get away from horrible rumors. Anora is determined to start anew, to forget all that happened before and live her life in peace. but all that goes to shit when she sees the dead girl hanging
Kat
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was amazing! Full rating 4.5
The writing was rich and the author was able to communicate the setting, thoughts and feelings of the characters and the creatures in this story amazingly.
I found myself invested all the way through.
This book has a unique and interesting plot. I love the Parallels with Greek mythology.
Anora is a complex and dynamic character. She is a young girl that has been thrown into the deep end. She is trying to navigate a world that she doesn’t know and it was lov
Berenice Linaldi
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Cicilia
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating!

This book was new and fresh and unexpected. While there was clear foreshadowing as to a couple of the characters who turned out to be villains, the reasonings and paths they took to get there were unexpected. I appreciate that there was no gratuitous death, only passings that were integral to the plot in a meaningful way. If you want a very different take on the afterlife, this is a fun and fascinating read.
Holly Webb
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as an adult, even though the story is about the teenagers and the story itself is catered towards teenagers, but I still loved it. If you're a person who loves forbidden romance, the dark, the odd, and the strange, this book is for you. It's Gossip Girl meets Maximum Ride and it works so well! ...more
gillion
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
*SENT TO ME BY PUBLISHING CO
4.5/5
HOLY SHIT THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD!! I loooooved this world. It is like if Cassandra Clare met Raven Boys. That's how good it is. I loved the way the story went and the pacing was amazing. I cannot wait to get my hands on this sequel. Anora and Shy are my new favorite couple.
Yelena
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book can't wait for the second one ...more
Ariane Pringley
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read with plot twists and an exceptional ending!
Allyson Szramek
Esperanza
Theresa
Sep 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: My Book Listed Under Different Author 2 13 Oct 27, 2018 09:13AM

• The Passion of Hades (The Hades Trials, #2)
  • A King so Cold (Royals, #1)
  • The Girl Beneath the Sea (Underwater Investigation Unit, #1)
  • Master of Salt & Bones
  • Shadow's Kiss (Shadow Series, #1)
  • Shadow's Touch (Shadow Series, #2)
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • The Power of Hades (The Hades Trials, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Shadow's Due (Shadow Series, #3)
  • Shadow's Fall (Shadow Series #4)
  • Den of Vipers
  • Glint (The Plated Prisoner, #2)
  • Gild (The Plated Prisoner, #1)
  • Stealing Cinderella
Scarlett St. Clair lives in Oklahoma with her husband. She has a Master’s degree in Library Science and Information Studies. She is obsessed with Greek Mythology, murder mysteries, love, and the afterlife. If you are obsessed with these things, then you’ll like her books.

Sign up for my newsletter! https://mailchi.mp/6e2593363f04/rayon...

News & Interviews