Start by marking “Wishes and Wellingtons” as Want to Read:
Wishes and Wellingtons

Wishes and Wellingtons

From award-winning author Julie Berry comes a brand new middle-grade fantasy adventure full of humor and heart, exclusively from Audible.

Maeve Merritt chafes at the rigid rules at her London boarding school for “Upright Young Ladies.” When punishment forces her to sort through the trash, she finds a sardine tin that houses a foul-tempered djinni with no intention of submi
Audible Audio, 10 pages
Published September 25th 2018 by Audible Studios (first published September 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Wishes and Wellingtons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wishes and Wellingtons

Beth
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I rarely read YA as I tend to prefer the A part of it more. But this was a free Audible pick & no other book looked good so I figured why not. And I'm so lucky I did!

This was just a dream of a story filled with magic & wonder. Remember when you believed in genies & fairies & had fun adventures with your friends? This story brings you back to that amazing time.

I can't recommend this book enough especially to all the little tomboys out there like me who were always getting into mi
Liz
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a nice little story that is not predictable and has a lot of heart. Maeve makes mistakes, but she also learns from them. She's no superhero, just a clever girl who tries to deal with difficult circumstances while wanting more from life and society. Very enjoyable story and narration.
Soquel
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Our family listened to this book on a road trip. It was delightful and creative. We loved Maeve - so full of moxie and snarky commentary. My 8 yr old daughter loved quoting along with her, "Maeve Merritt does not back down to bullies!" There were many positive messages in this story. It has the usual clever twists that Berry is known for. We hope that this might be the first in a series as she did leave us with many ideas and unanswered questions about the genie's family history. We want to see ...more
SheriC (PM)
This is not the kind of children's book that adults love. Or at least, not this adult. The premise is interesting, and I think little girls may very well love it. But it seems like a fairly standard one-dimensional story of a misfit girl, rejected by her conventional family, battling mean girls and mean teachers. Only this story has a genie.

Audiobook via Audible monthly freebie. DNF at 10% after about an hour and a half of audio. The performance by Jayne Entwistle is very good, but not as inspi
Chafic (Rello)
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun.
Set in 19th century England, this whimsical tale is filled full of snark, magic and wonder.
It isn't a run-of-the-mill retelling at all!

It's so fun! Definitely heart-warming.
Will recommend to anyone with kids. Maeve can teach girls a thing or two.
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sad...sad that I am finished with this book.

The story was the most delightful. The narrator was the most delightful. In fact I loved both so much I, upon completion, went back to Audible and sought out another book by this author and another book by this narrator.

The story to me felt like a cross between Pride and Prejudice (Elizabeth only, sorry Darcy fans) and Harry Potter (except with genies).

I have no idea if a book number two is in our future but I sure hope it is!

P.S. I am an adult who enj
Katie
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Fun audiobook
Galadrielė
Apr 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
1.5/5
Isabel (Sab The Book Eater)
Am I too old for middle grade stories? For a second I thought I would have rated this higher if I were younger but then again I was far more pretentious when I was about 9 or 10. I fancied YA books that I couldn't really relate to because I was too much in a hurry to grow up. Now that I'm in my twenties, I'm much more open to all genres in whatever age bracket. This is why Wishes and Wellingtons is making me question myself. Everyone who's listened to it seemed to enjoy it a great deal. Except f ...more
Brittney
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, audiobook
Audiobook. I needed a pick me up, and this was just that. Sweet.
Megan
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lachlan, Julian, Petrea, John
Recommended to Megan by: Julie Berry
Julie Berry has done it again, creating a middle-school fantasy book that is funny, full of exciting adventure, and heart-warming.
Berry proves repeatedly that books aimed to young readers need not condescend to the reader. Her protagonist is young, but at no point did I feel like this book was trying to be written for young kids.
Maeve Merritt is a fiesty British girl who is sent to a finishing school to help her learn to be an upright lady. She dreams of playing sports like the boys. She is quic
JB Lynn
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was brilliant! And it was so funny. The narrator for this was one of the best I've listened to, and I caught myself actually laughing aloud at several moments. Nothing earth-shattering as far as plot goes, but that's not really what I look for when reading a middle-grade book. I just want something fun, light-hearted, and charming where I'm relatively convinced the good guys are going to win in the end. This delivered all of that and then some.
Christopher
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute little YA slice of fantasy about a Victorian-era girl who finds a magical wish-granting genie in a sardine tin.

While the world is cute and sufficiently British, the plot is a little slow-going and doesn't generate needed momentum. The girl that finds the genie, Maeve Merritt, is an engaging enough tomboy-esque character who burns through her first two wishes fairly quickly so a lot of narrative drive is lost early. What's left is a somewhat slapdash hunt for the person that has stolen the
Lauren Jones
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you were a young girl who got blamed for everything under the sun, how would your outlook on the world be? Some things just can’t be helped. Berry shares the wonderful world of little Miss Maeve Merritt, the girl who doesn’t tolerate bullies. Everywhere she turns, it is something new that she is getting into trouble for. It seems, the girls at Ms. Salimanker’s School for Upright Young Ladies is absolutely not the best place for Maeve, although her parents will hear nothing of it. Berry captiv ...more
Marja
Why is Julie Berry such a good writer, why? This book is sooo good. It's funny and exciting and has a strong female protagonist. Maeve's nowhere near flawless, she's sassy and often hot-headed, but she has a good heart and she's loyal to her friends. I loved her adventurous and ahead-of-her-time spirit. She's no damsel in distress but an active girl not willing to submit herself to the domesticity that was expected from the women of her time. She's a real baby feminist.

I wish this book had been
Denise
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2019
With a penchant for punching bullies and dreaming of travelling the world and forming a girls' cricket league, Maeve Merritt is rather the opposite of what her dreary London boarding school for "upright young ladies" expects of its charges. Branded a troublemaker (not entirely without cause), she is not a stranger to finding herself with extremely unpleasant chores for punishment. When she makes an extraordinary discovery while sorting through trash, things are about to get a lot more adventurou ...more
David
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Wishes and Wellingtons was one of my free Audible Originals selections for March 2019. I wouldn't normally go for a children's story, but there must not have been another choice that appealed.

I definitely enjoyed the book. I'm sure when I picked it I realized it was written recently, but that wasn't the feeling I got when listening. Set in the late 19th century with a plucky 13-year old girl whose heart is in the right place as the main character, I would have guessed it was written decades ago.
Michelle Only Wants to Read
This was the sweetest story I will probably read this year. The target audience is middle-school, young teens, but I loveeeeed it. Set up in Victorian England, this is the story of Maeve Merrit, a clever, misunderstood, 13 y/o independent girl, ahead of her time, who finds a genie in a sardine can, who sets up to change her life. I was absolutely transported to the setting, and it felt as good and magical as when I read those books as a young girl myself. Her characters are multidimensional and ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What do you do with a foul-tempered djinni. If you are Maeve Merritt you take two of your friends on a adventure and turn enemies hair green. Then you have one wish left and that leads to more trouble than you ever expected. I loved how Maeve grew as she had to work out how to save people, keep her djinni, and be true to her friends. This was a fun adventure and coming of age story where all well that ends well for Maeve and friends.

Jayne Entwistle brings the character alive in this fun story.
Amy
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This free Audible Original written for middle-school aged children was a fun adventure with a scrappy, stubborn young lady, Maeve Merritt, as the lead. Maeve finds a genie hidden inside a sardine can at her boarding school. While already on tenuous ground with the headmistress due to her pugilistic, unladylike manner, Maeve finds herself challenged by a genie that tumbles her headlong into trouble to make the wisest decisions she can with her three wishes.
Chelsea
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This was a charming story about a 13 year-old girl who happens upon a genie and how she decides to use her wishes as well as all the problems that having a genie get her into. The final message is ultimately about the value of friendship. Definitely suitable for young readers, even elementary age.
Morandia
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This book started out slow and predictable, but evolved into a much better read than I thought. It was interesting,and while a typical genie and 3 wishes story, it did have some nice turns.
Ian
A boarding school, an orphanage and a genie in a can of sardines.
Entertaining adventure for young readers.
Nicole
May 02, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF @ 8%. Not rating because I didn't get very far, and I'm not the target audience anyway. But still: I couldn't stand the main character. She's a pretentious little snot as far as I can tell.
Kris
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightful children/middle grade read. My 9 year old and I listened together and loved it!!
Marisa Fairbanks
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strong and real main character! Fun story of staying true to one's self :-)
Heather
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 19th-century
2.5 stars. At age 10 I probably would've given it 5 stars.

A charming child's story set in Victorian London.

An Audible Originals - free during the month of March.

Themes: genie/djinn, London, orphanage, magic, girls' school
Jen
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A free audiobook from Audible. A fun roadtrip read for the whole family. Loses just one star for the fact that we had it all figured out and there was still 2 hours left to listen to while they agonizingly pieced together what we saw plain as day. But still fun and enjoyable. Great for all ages. Note: it is read by the same reader as my favorite Flavia books, which may or may not have muddied the waters as we listened, as this story is also about a 13 year old precocious young lady, quite a bit ...more
Mayra
I finished listening to this audiobook and now I don't know what to do with my life!
Donna