Start by marking “The Forgotten Island: A Horror Novel” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Island: A Horror Novel

The Forgotten Island: A Horror Novel

When Ana Logan agrees to go on holiday to Thailand with her estranged sister Rachel, she hopes it will be a way for them to reconnect after years of drifting apart.
But now, stranded on a seemingly deserted island paradise with no radio and no food, reconciliation becomes a desperate fight for survival.
For when night falls on The Forgotten Island, the dark secrets of the
Published September 27th 2018 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Island

Johann (jobis89)
"From out of the shadows it came."

Two sisters, Ana and Rachel, view their trip to Thailand as way to mend their relationship. However, after becoming stranded on an island with no food or supplies, it quickly becomes a fight for survival.

Holy hell, this book was GREAT. It has all the components needed for a fantastic horror novel: great writing, likeable characters (and not so likeable ones too), some well-executed humour, and most important of all... parts that left my skin crawling!!

The start,
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Review originally appeared in the holiday issue of SCREAM magazine

You could make the case that David Sodergren’s debut novel The Forgotten Island is the soon-to-be-cult-classic grandchild of Jurassic Park, Arachnophobia and The Ruins. I don’t know how that works out physically since I listed three grandparents but you get a good idea of the book’s DNA. I’ll explain:
Jurassic Park in the sense that the narrative travels around a bit so that the reader can be engaged in simultaneous events as they
Abbie | ab_reads
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super grateful to David for sending me his debut horror novel to review! It’s a homage to 80s horror, lots of guts and gore, but BETTER. Because what puts me off 80s horror, despite the crazy stories & monsters, is the misogyny. The Forgotten Island is all of the 80s horror fun and none of the misogyny - what more could you want?!
Our protagonist is Ana, a hilarious, foul-mouthed Scot who takes absolutely NO SHIT. After a tough year, she agrees to go on holiday with her sister after they dri
Alex findingmontauk1
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
YES YES YES!!! What a great read! 5 stars and full review to come!
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
I really enjoyed this book! It follows some estranged sisters that end up taking a vacation to Thailand. They have a lot unspoken wounds between the two of them. Through a series of circumstances they end up finding themselves on an island with some shady history that the locals and the government don't even acknowledge.

The characters in here were great! The main characters were believable. I loved their back and forth with each other. Sodergren does a great job at executing that balance betwee
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Fangs sank into his tongue, tearing away at the soft pink. Blood filled his mouth, and that, combined with the taste of the spider, made him vomit. The tiny monsters covered his entire head like a constantly shifting mask, biting and tearing at whatever flesh was available. He felt his eyelid being torn away, one of the spiders biting and pulling at his eyeball, the soft orb rupturing, white fluid gushing from the socket. He clamped his jaw shut, but they ate away at his cheeks, the flesh offer ...more
Michael
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always say that one of the best things about bookstagram is discovering books your wouldn’t normally discover and The Forgotten Island falls into that category.

I spotted this book on a friends page a few weeks ago and I was intrigued. They say don’t judge a book by its cover but I mean, look at it!! That and Johann’s review encouraged me to make it my Halloween read.
And I’m glad I did.

Ana is the main protagonist and I really liked her. She is headstrong, a little foul mouthed like yours truly
Red Lace Reviews
Estranged Ana and Rachel Logan take a much-needed vacation to Thailand - perhaps their sisterhood could even be mended along the way. After an intense party session their group mysteriously wake up on a boat, the ocean carrying them toward a seemingly deserted island. As nightfall hangs over them, tempers rise, survival instincts kick in, and something evil lurks in the wilderness. Who will perish to the unknown?

(WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers.)

I don't think I've ever read a book t
Michael Tkach
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just finished this morning! Wow, lots of fun, some extremely gory scenes, oppressive jungles, bizarre cultists and some Mythos connections as well. Stirs up my Scottish blood all the way in Canada! Great first book by someone who is clearly well versed in the horror world. Felt like I was watching a Lucio Fulci movie! Can't wait for more from this author.
Bridget Thomas (bridgetsbookstagram)
What a story this was! The first half I was racing through because I just had to know what horrors were awaiting our characters when they reached the island. Then the second half had me wishing I didn't know what they had discovered because it was utterly terrifying. I really liked the main character Ana. She's one tough cookie. Even with the horrific things she goes through, she's quite funny and entertaining. I can't express how much I didn't like the male characters though (aside from one tow ...more
Hillary
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Favorite Book

This book had me hooked from the beginning. I got invested into the two main female characters and just wanted to know what happened. Some parts off the book creeped me out but that's what kept me reading. So many good twists and turns throughout the book. One of my favorite books of the year.
Liam Philbin
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly incredible.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This debut horror novel has it all: beaches, booze, boats, spiders, sex, despicable people whose death you root for, visceral body horror, and even a pug.

It’s obvious that Sodergren has spent a long time steeped in the horror tradition, and as a longtime follower of his Instagram, @paperbacksandpugs, I can say that this is—without a doubt—definitely the case. He knows it all, from the most obscure reference to the pop culture stalwarts. His personal love of the horror genre comes across in the s
Steve Stred
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Full disclosure on this review - David has edited a number of my own releases.**

When this book was announced, I jumped all over the pre-order and was so pumped when I saw it load on my kindle on release day!

The Forgotten Island is such a fantastic throwback novel. The story is so engrossing and the characters so well fleshed out that you truly enjoy when things go well or in most cases don't.

Reading this book, the one thought that continued to cross my mind was - I can't believe this is his fi
Oliver Clarke
‘The Forgotten Island’ is a fun throwback to the kind of quick and nasty chiller that Richard Laymon write in the 80s. In fact if it had had a Steve Crisp cover and Californian leads in place of Scots and I might have been convinced I was reading a lost work from Laymon.

The book has a classic B-movie structure – a prologue set in the past where bad shit goes down and lots of people get messed up, followed by a skip forward to the present day and a slow build up to more bad shit going down. In t
Tanya
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent debut novel!! So many instances of gore and yuck, my mom kept asking me why I was making so many faces at this book....but I loved every minute of it!!
Wayne Fenlon
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yep, this is worth 5 stars. A great debut novel by David Sodergren. Looking forward to the next one.
Emily
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel actually came to me via amazon recommendations and i won't lie to admit that the cover alone struck my attention. There is something about having the perfect cover with the perfect story that makes you appreciate the author enough to become a solid fan for life.
Any-who I guess enough rambling and getting on to my actual thoughts on the book itself.. From start to finish you feel for the protagonist who is on vacation to Thailand with her sister and her douchebag of a boyfriend. Don't
Kaleena Stevens
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unrelenting and sometimes unnecessary gore

I’m still in shock after finishing this novel. It’s reminiscent of The Ruins. Trying to get some of the visuals out of my head now.
Dustin
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

A great read for any horror fan. Many twists and turns kept me reading late into the night. I'll be re-reading this one for sure!
Feblub
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a perfect gore movie materials! I enjoy it very much. But somehow the Asian in me can be very nitpicky when it comes to Asian horror setting. Somehow I am not scared enough by it...maybe because I know at my motherland Indonesia there are more scarier sh*ts going on than the one in this island...😅😁
John Middleton
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Horror is not my one of my usual genres, but this debut novel is a solid start for Sodergren. The craftsmanship is superb. The storytelling takes a while to find its tempo, but the last half is a gripping page-turner. Lovers of guts and gore will be eminently satisfied.
Debb
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I am very glad I didn’t read the main part of this at night. As it is, I’m going to have a nightmare I think. Loved the references to the video nasties of time gone by, of which I heard a lot of screaming from as my parents loved them! Loved the sheep! Loved the reference to Star Wars. Excellent first book.
Gemma Innes
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I feel tingly all over (or maybe itchy). The thrills and scares in this book are definitely of the "check every shadow variety. This book has been one of my favourite reads of this year! For a first novel the narrative reminded me of reading the work of Clive Barker. Sodergren's use of viceral body horror and B-movie troups will be a joy for any horror fan.
Gavin
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow shortly
Morven
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not normally the kind of book I read, but I know the author so wanted to read it to support him, as it's his first book. And I'm so glad I did! Gruesome, lots of gore, terrifying spider things, and a really well written story that kept me hooked. Highly recommended for all horror fans (but probably not for arachnophobes!)
Glen Duncan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Cowardly Bastards!" I dare you to read this book! :-) I'm not going down into any crack in the Earth's crust in Thailand as a result of reading this book I can tell you. Great stuff from Mr Sodergren.
Jacque Stengel
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, owned
Crazy good for old school! Loved this book, i couldn't turn the pages fast enough. The horror and gore were written to keep a reader enthralled, disgusted and wanting more! Did I mention that while it was horror, I still laughed! Great combination of all the emotions! Highly recommend!
Kevin Whitten
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. For me it was kind of The Beach meets The Ruins - although the baddie is way more interesting than blood thirsty plants. Twisty endings, every time you think you are done and it's time to wrap it up, there is more. Violent - possibly the bloodiest book I have read this year and I read a ton of horror. Definitely some Lovecraftian monster elements to it, strong female characters, and of course a cute pug.

Definitely enough for be to follow David's upcoming stuff.
~Mig-lin~ TheMadMuseReads
After some fellow bookstagrammers read an advanced copy of "The Forgotten Island" by @paperbacksandpugs and the reviews apparently went so well based on the rating (I always avoid reading reviews before I actually read the book because I am all for discovering the whole plot by myself 🤷♀ ) I knew I NEEDED to read this one, so I couldn't wait and pre-ordered the kindle edition (the paperback wasn't available at the moment, but I seriously could not wait) and put it on my October TBR .
I read it in
  • Darkest Hours
  • Coyote Songs
  • Terror Byte
  • The Godsend
  • The Black Castle (Don Sebastian Vampire Chronicles #1)
  • Everything That's Underneath
  • The Sea of Ash
  • The Deep
  • The New Neighbor
  • Crota
David Sodergren lives in Scotland with his wife Heather and his best friend, Boris the Pug.

Growing up, he was the kind of kid who collected rubber skeletons and lived for horror movies.

Not much has changed since then.

His first novel, The Forgotten Island, was published on October 1st 2018 to critical acclaim. Up next is Night Shoot, a brutal throwback to the early 80s slasher movie cycle, coming S