Start by marking “Girl, Arise!: A Catholic Feminist's Invitation to Live Boldly, Love Your Faith, and Change the World” as Want to Read:

Is it possible to be both a Catholic and a feminist? Claire Swinarski, writer and creator of The Catholic Feminist podcast, believes it is: “I’m a feminist for the same reason I’m bold and honest and sometimes ragey: because Jesus was all of those things.”

In Girl, Arise!, Swinarski reconciles the two identities by demonstrating the strength and abilities women have to shar
Published February 8th 2019 by Ave Maria Press

To ask other readers questions about Girl, Arise!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl, Arise!

Julie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not recommend this book highly enough. At approximately 100 pages it’s a quick read, but that doesn’t mean it lacks content. Claire puts into words everything that has been on my mind and in my heart for quite some time. Love Jesus and love your neighbor. Ask the Holy Spirit what that means for you at whatever stage of life you are in at this current moment because not doing anything is not an option.
Alannah
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is 100% necessary.

There is a lot of confusion about the Church and women. If you are a woman who struggles with what you read in the Bible or the way you see people acting and how it doesn’t add up to a pro woman stance I encourage you to read this book. The Church is the most pro woman institution in the world, but what high school CCD covers probably didn’t sound like that. This is a marvelous stepping stone and primer on how much the Church loves you and values you as a wom
Faith Hough
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Claire Swinarski writes like a hard-hitting, no-nonsense, but very bubbly cheerleader. While that voice isn't really my cup of tea (honestly, I felt so OLD at 32 while reading this), I think it's a very needed voice in the Catholic Church, in the world of feminism, and in the world as a whole! She writes powerfully of the need for standing up for women, loving ourselves and others, and fulfilling our mission to serve the world, while gracefully acknowledging that such service is going to look di ...more
Anna (Scones & Tomes Society)
This book is not only a beautiful explanation of what feminism is and should look like within the Church but also a call to those who read it to stand up and BE Catholic Feminists. Claire doesn't mince words here, she admits that everyone has their place in the church and their role to play but she criticizes the way the Church and the people of the world have put women into boxes. If you must be a "good Catholic woman" you have to be quiet and meek and have 6.5 kids all impeccably dressed and b ...more
Jill
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
While it has some excellent moments, this book is really directed at much younger women than myself. The writer seems to be very judgmental about certain choices. In her enthusiasm to embrace those who are questioning their place in the church, she is quick to exclude those who are comfortable serving on boards as well as (gasp!) bringing casseroles for the women’s luncheons. She strongly implies that you can’t veil and be feminist or have traditional preferences for liturgy while also caring ab ...more
Lisa Kendzior
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very encouraging and empowering read. By sharing her own struggles with faith and femininity, Claire shows a way to embrace our Catholic faith and boldly live it out. Would recommend for any young woman who wants to grow but isn't always sure how to dig her way through the different opinions one sees online. After reading, I feel empowered to find my own path and stop listening to what others say I should be but listen to who God says I am.
Kelly G
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It’s a quick read, but full of important thought provoking questions and ideas for a Catholic woman who wants to live out her faith in a confused and messed up world. Claire’s writing style made me feel like I was hanging out and chatting with a smart, loving, energetic friend. I love her podcast, and hopes she writes more in the future!
Norman
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ll say first of all that I’m a man who, while disliking labels, would be thought of by the Catholic community as, well, Protestant. Claire Swinarski’s book is me trying to broaden my horizons by reading Girl, Arise! which is effectively a full on attempt at a Catholic Feminist manifesto. I say ‘full on’ because the author doesn’t mess about but jumps straight in to argue for the freeing of Catholic women from more traditional roles in the church, and, how can I put it, let them loose to effect ...more
Katie
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholicism
This book packs a lot of punch in a short one hundred pages. Initially, the writing style threw me off a little, I think because of the conversational style and very blunt tone. As a regular listener of the author's podcast, this should not have been surprising to me.... but for some reason, I just wasn't expecting it to translate to paper. But the conversation-style narrative paired with the author's delightful persona and very honest take on Catholic/feminist issues I think has the ability to ...more
Jency
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It can be difficult to find women's spirituality novels that talk about the real stuff. Of the few I've read, most have to do with beauty and that kind of ish. Which is good and important, but I've always felt that there is so much more to being a woman. Which is why, as a listener of the Catholic Feminist podcast, I was super excited to read this novel.

I had high expectations, and this book truly did not disappoint. Claire's voice is just so real; it doesn't sound like she's preaching down to y
Sydney (booksofkings)
If you've ever questioned how a Catholic could be a feminist, then this book is perfect for you. While it is a bit more tailored toward Catholic Women, it is perfect for any young adult Catholic who is trying to find their voice in this world while staying true to the faith.

As a young adult woman in the 21st century, I observe from the sidelines how people argue about what is right and i too have been burned by the word Feminist. To me, it's a negative word almost akin to a curse word.

In Girl, A
Carissa Pluta
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Girl, Arise!: A Catholic Feminist’s Invitation to Live Boldly, Love Your Faith, and Change the World answers the question you’ve probably heard many times: is it possible to be both a Catholic and a Feminist? Claire bridges the dichotomy that exists between feminism and Catholicism, showing the ways in which the they, not only can, but should co-exist. Girl, Arise! has all of the humor and sass as you hear from Claire on the podcast, while still talking about the stuff that matters. If you are l ...more
Kristina Gutilla
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is refreshing and an absolute affirmation to any woman trying to be strong in her faith in today’s world. Every sentence is packed with love and truth and wisdom. It is easy and fun to read. With every page, I thought of another person in my life I wanted to share this book with. This book will be a staple on my bookshelf. I’ve just finished reading it for the first time, and the next time will be with a pencil and a highlighter. A book like this is rare, and I’m certain the lessons in ...more
Michaela Herbon
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The conversational style and length of this book make it PERFECT to share. I mean, really, I'm a slow reader and read it in a few hours. Mostly because I was devouring it! It elevated my spirit to this place where fires are burning and tears are flowing. In simple language, it cuts to the heart of who Christians are called to be in this day, regardless of denomination, political/social views, or anything else that seems to separate. I could not be more grateful to Claire Swinarski for putting a ...more
M.L.
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I was even more pleasantly surprised how much I learned. As a fan of the Catholic Feminist Podcast, I was not sure if I would gain that much more in reading the book since I feel like much of the content gets discussed on the show. However, it was refreshing to hear everything from Claire's perspective and learn about the theology and philosophy that drives her faith and her feminism. Excellent book!
Kelsey Kersting
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book for all seasons and for any woman. Having a similar background to the author (FOCUS missionary, mother of babies, desirous to make disciples in my right now) this book spoke to me and challenged me to pick one thing that God has put on my heart and run with it. Thank you, Claire for these words and putting your heart into this book! All women will benefit from reading this. And it’s extremely quick!
Maureen
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian
There just isn’t much in here. Yes, it can be seen as a contradiction to be a Catholic and a feminist but some of these points could be made in a blog post and not repeated for over 100 pages.

Maybe I’m a bit older than her intended audience. Sometimes this felt juvenile to me. And her repetition of “for the love” got on my nerves.

Some good points are made (loving your neighbor, caring for everyone) but these could be made in a few pages.
Alison McGrimley
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I never realized I’d been waiting for someone to write this book until I read Girl Arise. Claire Swinarski beautifully articulates the way so many women in the catholic church define “feminism”. Her voice is very conversational and at times I wanted more depth, but most of the time I felt like I was having a soul-warming chat with a good friend, and that’s a good thing. Highly recommend!
Jessica Packard
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A friend found this book and suggested it as for a Lenten Book Club of sorts and we are ALL loving it. This is a book for all of us who feel pretty left out at most eomen's retreats; those of us that went to college Catholic centers and left wanting more, those of us who sat through endless, pointless modesty talks. This book is incresible!
Karla Labanda Ortiz
A wonderful book!! Just what I needed. I'll re-read it soon, I want to take notes to understand it better.

The book helped me to understand where I stand in this wide spectrum of feminist, catholic women. Obviosuly, I didn't agree with everything that was written, but in general it was a very interesting point of view.

We are daughters of God!!
Sherry Campeau
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's refreshing to see a book that is both feminist AND Catholic, acknowledging that women can be powerful, but not needing to bash men to make the point. As a cradle Catholic who was fairly well catechized there is nothing earth shattering in this book, but it's nice to know that i am not alone on the journey. it's an interesting and enjoyable read.
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-finished
From highly acclaimed podcast host, Claire Swinarski's debut book was a smash hit! Practical, relatable, and brutally honest. Not just girl talk but how to be a Catholic feminist in a world where "feminist" can mean anything from being man hater to abortion supporter. Highly recommend!
Alexander Pyles
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an excellent little book of
encouragement, a call to solidarity, and Catholic womanhood.

My wife has been listening to Claire for a while and very much enjoys her, so I thought I would give this a read.

I want to read this to my daughter when she's old enough.
Kellie
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Girl, Arise! is relevant, honest, thought-provoking, relatable, humorous, and full of moxie! @thecatholicfeminist did a brilliant job of addressing hot-button issues without fear! This is a must-read for any Catholic woman seeking their place in the vast world of feminism! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Denise
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every woman should read this. Every priest should read this. I’m not a twenty something, but this book breathed life into SO many things I feel and struggle with in the church. Excellent. My daughters will definitely be reading this book.
Alli Shoemaker
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
😭 finally someone who gets me. Such a refreshing, hilarious, poignant voice in the world of feminism. I found myself laughing and getting the chills all within 100ish pages. Also, I’m glad I’m not the only millennial who was deeply affected by The Prince of Egypt movie 😂
Clare
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is life changing! I have struggled with my identity as a Catholic Feminist and have had a difficult time combining the two. Thanks to Claire’s book I now feel both empowered and confident in my role as a woman in the church
Ashley
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love so much that Claire is not afraid of being completely honest with her opinions which leads to being a little “sweary” and enraged. Not only did she speak out loud the truth I’ve personally felt, but she also gave some beautiful parting thoughts to more fully engage my next steps.
Cassandra Wessel
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick read that is wonderfully inspiring and challenges me to live my faith more boldly!
Lauren Scharmer
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book brings a needed discussion to the forefront - how can we as Catholic women step into our God-given potential to further the good of those around us. I was particularly struck by Claire’s words at the end about acknowledging the fear of “adding to the noise” rather than a productive conversation.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Born and raised in snowy Wisconsin, Claire Swinarski is the middle grade author of WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, coming spring 2020 from HarperCollins. You can usually find her scribbling away, drinking coffee, or wrangling her two littles. She's also the voice + author behind The Catholic Feminist Podcast and GIRL, ARISE: A Catholic Feminist's Invitation to Live Boldly, Love Your Faith, and Change the World ...more