Start by marking “Jimi Hendrix: Electric Gypsy” as Want to Read:
Jimi Hendrix: Electric Gypsy

Jimi Hendrix: Electric Gypsy

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  403 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
September 18, 1995, marks the 25th anniversary of Jimi Hendrix's untimely demise. To commemorate this event, the authors have revised and updated over 200 pages of Electric Gypsy, the record of Hendrix's legacy as the music world's most talented guitarist.
Published August 15th 1995 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Jimi Hendrix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jimi Hendrix

Dan
May 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was clinical. It has some pretty crucial details and dates, but the writing is a bit uninvolving.

I'm a fan of Jimi Hendrix and his music; this book is a good guide to go back and check dates and the gear he was using ... but I don't recall particularily ENJOYING the act of reading this book.

He had an interesting life but his music to me is so otherworldly and brilliant that the details about who he was screwing, what he was high on just pales in comparison. His Mother passed away when he w
Greg
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is another well researched biography on the life and music of Jimi Hendrix. Electric Gypsy covers Hendrix unhappy childhood in detail. The author also explores the mob connections to Hendrix management that the author hints could be linked to Hendrix death. The back of this book features a well researched reference section containing details on Hendrix recordings which collectors will find helpful. The author explores Hendrix set lists for various shows and why and how his music was ev ...more
Terry Belben
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read many Hendrix books, stories, but this was the best
Benny
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must have read about twenty books or so on Jimi Hendrix and this one is the best. Throughly researched, well written and no nonsense. Quite a read, but this is the one to go for if you're looking to learn more about one of the geniusses of 20th century music.

As additional reads I recommend the books by Eddie Kramer (Setting the Record Straight) and Mitch Mitchell. Both were close collaborators of Jimi Hendrix and developed a true and kind understanding of the man and his art.

"I stand up next
Quinn Edgar
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Penny
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I'n not a fan of electric guitar rock nor of the rock world in general, (cock rock comes to mind) but read this bio out of curiosity to see how life begins for rock musician/singers. I was interested at first but it got very technical in places about his guitar playing as his life story progressed, and I found it difficult to understand the personality of Hendrix, this may be the fault of the author more than the subject himself. I still haven't finished it but come back to it now and then to se ...more
Sarah Bynum
The book did its job in that it made me more interested in Jimi Hendrix. That being said... it's a little too in depth, the intense detail might be tedious to many readers, for me I was a bit bored with the info on sexual exploits – what he was like in bed, what he did to specific women – I didn't need to know all that. But that can be overlooked... What made me uncomfortable was that quite a lot of anecdotal evidence is offered up as fact – sans research, footnote, endnote or asterisks in most ...more
Mike
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hendrix fans, fans of music journalism
Shelves: biography
This is a comprehensive look at the life of Jimi Hendrix. I read this when I was around 13 or so. It was probably the longest book I'd ever read at that point, but I remember really enjoying it. The book covers all the personal aspects of Hendrix's life and discusses in detail how he got started in England, how he met up with his band mates, and their subsequent adventures on the road and in the studio. I'd recommend this as the go-to biography for any fans of one of the most talented, and, by a ...more
Laura Flynn
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read this a looooong time ago, for a "smart kid" class I had in Jr. High. (who knew?!) Our assignment was to read a biography.
I remember it being at least 800 pages long and being quite inappropriate for a 12 year old. It was books like these that really raised me; made me "grow up". I went through a 60's psychedelic rock phase and Hendrix was a god to me. I really cannot remember what could have filled up so many pages. I own a copy that I haven't touched, so maybe I'm due for another flip-th
Chrwat
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
En skikkelig murstein av en bok. Skal være den beste av bøkene om Hendrix. Mest for fans, men også for de som er interessert i hvordan det var å være stjerne på slutten av 60-tallet.

Leste boken mest for å finne ut hvordan han ble så god på gitar. Uten å spoile for mye - han hadde til og med gitaren med i sengen i tillegg til å spille så fodt som hele sin våkne tid etter han fikk sin første gitar som 16-17 åring.

Veldig godt gjennomarbeidet. Til og med appendiks med lister over alt utstyret han
Andy
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: jimi hendrix fans, duh!
Shelves: rock-sleaze
Gigantic sprawling bio on the great electric guitarist. This is as comprehensive a book on Jimi as you'll find anywhere. I could've done without the conspiracy theories tied in to Jimi's death, but other than that if you like all things Hendrix this is the book. Move over Rover and let Harry Shapiro take over.
Al Redman
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant biography, thorough the use of first hand interviews, letters and pictures a very detailed insight is provided. Filled with all the interesting facts a Hendrix fan would care to know. RIP James Hendrix, a true icon and legend!
Denton McCabe
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book I read a few times through out Junior High. I was obsessed with Hendrix and eventually became the kid in high school who could play all the Hendrix songs on the guitar, this book is pretty much the reason why.
Tom
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
he was a wounded soul,,
Gregory Tkac
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such an good insider's view into the world of my all-time favorite musician. Highly suggested for even the casual fan.
Pete daPixie
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poptastic, biogs
Take my advice, don't vomit when you are totally unconscious from the effects of drugs. I've done it myself, and it's not a good idea.
Joy Idowu
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
the best bio on jimi hands down!
Skunk
Oct 22, 2008 added it
I learned that Jimi was truly a muse, a divine instrument to push the boundaries of music into new realms and make magic possible.
Roy
Jun 20, 2016 added it
caeser has first hand experience of Jimi in Scandinavia in the sixties which helps make this book very insightful
Charlie
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the best Hendrix biographies I've read. Incredibly detailed, including session notes. A great portrait of the chief architect of modern rock guitar.
Jo
Aug 02, 2011 added it
a tragic end to a life that changed music forever
Calabash
  • Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend
  • Louis Armstrong: An Extravagant Life
  • John Coltrane: His Life and Music
  • Blues All Around Me: The Autobiography of B.B. King
  • Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness, or My Life As a Fabulous Ronette
  • If You Can't Be Free, Be a Mystery: In Search of Billie Holiday