Start by marking “Prisoner of Night (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16.5)” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of Night (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16.5)

Prisoner of Night

(Black Dagger Brotherhood #16.5)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author J.R. Ward comes an unforgettable story of passion and vengeance set in the Black Dagger Brotherhood world.

When Ahmare’s brother is abducted, there is nothing she won’t do to get him back safely. She is unprepared, however, for the lengths she will have to go to save his life. Paired with a dangerous but enticing prisoner, she embar
Published January 7th 2019 by Gallery Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• Prisoner of Night by J.R. Ward
    Prisoner of Night (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16.5)
    Release date: Jan 07, 2019
    From #1 New York Times bestselling author J.R. Ward comes, PRISONER OF NIGHT, an unforgettable story of passion and vengeance in the Black Dagger Brot ...more

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 2523 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 11 - Jan 25, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of Night, please sign up.
    Lauren Ahmare and Duran.
    Ahmare and Duran.
    They are not main BDB characters but the story takes place in the BDB universe so to fully understand it you need knowledge of some of the backstory (Lessers, Shadows, the raids, etc.)(less)

Sophia Triad
    Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    “You tortured the male I loved for two decades”

What I love mostly in the BDB series is that the heroes and heroines are less than ideal. And they never had an easy life. They have all suffered somehow and they all have survived and surprisingly they joke about it frequently.

Let's think about it.
    ●The King himself, Wrath, is blind. He has lost his parents growing up. He blames himself because he did not help them.
    ●Phury is not whole. He has lost his leg to save his brother. He was made fun of th
    AlwaysV
    Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Beautiful & tortured Duran so broke my heart. Few authors could do tortured Heroes/heroines? the way JR Ward could. The only difference was how I felt after reading. Torture in books written by other authors only succeeded in driving me away, no more, one and done.

I loved the way Ahmare saved him. Totally deserved five extra stars! If you loved the Shadows in the previous BDB books, there was kick ass Nexi, another Shadow for you to fall in love with. The bonus? This story didn't have just
    Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

One of my favorite authors, J.R. Ward, released a novella set in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. As this is one of my favorite series by her, I was very intrigued to see what this little treat would be like. I’ve always believed in Ward’s writing, but wondered how her writing would fare with short stories. As you know, her books tend to be on the long side, but I’m happy to note that this story definitely fulfill my BDB fan needs nicely.

This book is about Ahmare and Duran, tw
    Beth
    Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Prisoner of Night is a quick novella length read that packs a punch.

Ward submerses the reader into her story telling with dark and graphically descriptive circumstances that will make the light-hearted reader cringe. That being said, I wouldn't have wanted to miss this shorter additions to the Black Dagger Brotherhood world.

Fast paced, bone chilling, goose-bump raising, and a perfect example of why J.R. Ward is the queen of storytelling.

I received this ARC copy of Prisoner of Night from Gallery.
    Ryan
    3.5/5 - *** EDIT ***

Gallery is going to lose readers for Ward and the BDB series. Bad advertising and watered down everything.

I’m concerned that this new publisher is watering down everything great about Ward’s work EXCEPT the language. I’m not impressed. Why are there swords instead of daggers on the covers? Why are the covers weird? Why was the book advertised as a Legacy book on the UK cover and a BDB book in the US?! It’s a damn novella in the BDB world. When the author has to go on social
    Candace Tidwell
    Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Captivating and gut wrenching. Prisoner of the Night is an excellent addition to the Black Dagger series. A story all it's own, but intriguing nonetheless.
    Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
    ❤❤❤

description

Stacie
    Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    3 1/2 Stars!

Kim
    Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 4-stars
    This is a novella based in the Black Dagger Brotherhood world, but can honestly be read as a stand alone story. It is based on this new couple and story line that is contained in this book. It is a good way to wade a toe into the BDB world or try J.R. Ward's writing style. I actually found it easier to read since it was solely focused on this couple and their adventures and did not flip between multiple story lines as the longer ones do.

Duran has been held in a dungeon for twenty one years with
    Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
    Originally posted at Booklovers For Life

The Black Dagger Brotherhood is one of those must-read PNR series that everyone knows, reads, and loves, and for good reason. There’s nothing quite like this world of vampires and alpha-males, both of which I can never get tired of if J.R. Ward writes it. Some of my favorite bookish heroes have come from this series (RHAGE!) and for that I will forever be grateful to the Warden.

In Prisoner of Night, we get a little break from the BDB boys and are introduce
    Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
    A love story in the midst of violence and payback.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I never read any of the other books in the series so I am not sure if I was missing something or not. However, to me, this was a standalone. I had no issues following the story.

This book smacks you in the face soon as you start it. It is raw and gruesome in parts, written with such imagery that you almost want to read it in bits and pieces due to the violence. But it also compels you to never put it down!

It’s a story about vamp
    Laura Elizabeth
    Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
    This wasn’t bad. But for 6$ you really don’t get your moneys worth as it can be read in under two hours. It has no tie ins with BDB at all. No idea why it’s labeled book 16.5 in that series 🤷♀ Duran and Ahmare are an ok couple. The shadow Nexi is more interesting. ...more
    Under the Covers Book Blog
    Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
    This was the perfect little snack read while waiting for the main course, Savior, to come in April! I am a massive fan of these characters, Ahmare and Duran, and I really hope we get to visit them again in the BDB world. The absolutely creepy intro sets the tone and feel of this novella for its entirety.

You do not have to have read the previous novels to enjoy Prisoner of Night. It's a great way to get to know Ward’s writing style and a bit of the genre. A perfect way to kick off the new year, b
    ValerieC
    January 11, 2019
    DNF - Returned for Refund

I read a little over a quarter of this novella before giving up. I am a little shocked that I did, because I almost never DNF books.

The story has nothing to do with the BDB, but is about two 'civilian' vampires with sketchy/criminal relatives they are trying to help, or to go get revenge against. Unlike a novella I totally ĺoved, Story of Son, this started off brutal and gory, and wasn't getting better. It just isn't anything I care about, so I returned i
    Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
    3.5 Stars

I liked it, it is J.R. Ward after all! But, I fell in love with Dearest Ivie, her other novella, but I found it took me a long time to warm to the characters in this one. Plus I didn't shed a tear, normally her books have be bawling like a baby! Still it was an enjoyable, albeit slightly forgettable, read.
    WTF Are You Reading?
    J.R. Ward presents fans of her acclaimed Black Dagger Brotherhood series with quite the irresistible treat. In the form of ebook exclusive Prisoner Of Night. Releasing January 7, 2019.
    Though touted as a novella. As most .5 editions of series are.
    Book 16.5, to be exact.
    Readers will be quite pleasantly surprised to find that this novella is in fact, a 300+ page novel. Complete with a very mouth watering prologue.

As for the meat of the story. What readers are presented with is pretty standard hunk
    Jéssica
    Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2019, ward, vamps, 3-stars-read
    O meu problema com Prisoner of Night é um problema recorrente dos últimos livros da Irmandade da Adaga Negra: a desconexão com o universo anteriormente criado pela autora, mesmo que sejam mantidos os principais elementos.
    Numa série que está indo para seu 16º livro, com tantos personagens que é dificil até lembrar de todos os nomes, em um enredo enviesado que cada vez faz menos sentido, a autora opta por escrever sobre dois novos personagens, com praticamente zero relevância para o contexto prin
    ♥ℳelody
    Good installment. Not my favorite though. The fact that the whole story unfolded in a matter of 2 days and h and hr are saying "I love you" after knowing each other for 1 day was difficult for me to swallow. I liked both Ahmare and Duran and story arc is a strong one, Duran's backstory especially is very compelling and once again Ward didn't pull any punches there. (view spoiler). If anything this added another layer and dimension to Ward's wor ...more
    Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
    Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: audio
    Though by JRW standards this is a novella, this book is longer than a lot of contemporary romance novels.

So what did I think.

AWESOME

This woman can do no wrong. I loved Duran (though every time I heard his name I thought of Duran Duran).

Duran was the kind of male I love— broken. Which is why V is my favorite. Funny enough Z never really did it for me. Anywho, I loved him and Amiri together.

Great read, wanted more. Never to end would be good. I can’t wait for next installment.
    MissCherry
    Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Siempre es un gusto volver al mundo de la Hermandad de la Daga Negra y “Prisoner of night” ha sido un caramelito para calmar las ansias y hacer más corta la espera de “The Savior”, el decimoseptimo libro de la saga que saldrá en Abril.

Antes de comenzar a leer este libro tenía una idea equivocada de lo que era, ya que por la información que había leído previamente pensaba que al igual que “Dearest Ivie”, “Prisoner of night” era una novela corta protagonizada por personajes ajenos a la trama de l
    Anete
    Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Ātrs lasāmgabals ar asinīm, ieročiem, badass vampīru dāmām un viņu neatvairāmajām otrajām pusēm, ļaundariem, sprādzieniem, šāvieniem un, protams, mīlestību. Tagad tik sagaidīt sērijas patieso nākošo grāmatu.
    Page
    Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: jr-ward
    3.5 stars. Heads up. At the time/date of this review this book is the most recent in the series. There are no BDB appearances, and no noticeable/foreseeable future connection to the series. With that said, I'm sure there will be, I'm just saying there are no visible best laid plans. So, this book was good. At times it was great, but it was not BDB good... actually not BDB at all.

And Duran was kind of an emo.

Z had a waaaaay more shit filled life and he didn't sit around crying 24/7 in his book.
    Cássia Bezerra Santos
    Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
    This book was a great piece of... shit! My God, I've never been so bored with a book written by JR Ward. The romance is extremely forced and chiche, the characters are one-dimensional and the story is not at all exciting.

What troubled me most in this story was how the romance was built, in less than 24 hours, despite all the trauma and danger, the main character decides to have sex with a guy she took out of a dungeon ... just because he was attractive. Why have a minimum of self preservation if
    Biondatina
    Thank you Mrs Ward for another trip in BDB world! We didn't know the characters... but who knows maybe we will see them again in the future!
    Gretel
    Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: romance
    It's okay although I'm really tired of dudes and their torture paradise. Honestly, the beginning almost made me hurl. I get the series is about war and there are bad people who do horrible things, yadda yadda. But this is the upteenth time we have some terrible dude torture and rape people in this series alone and I'm so fucking tired of it.

I like Duran and Ahmare though this is the first time I would've loved for the heroine to get together with another lady, in this case Nexi. Not that Ahmare
    Debbie
    Prisoner of Night
    JR Ward

Ward takes a break from her beloved Black Dagger Brotherhood and Legacy series with a BDB side story giving fans a rare look into the lives of four civilians a brother and sister who lost their parents in the raids and two victims of a Vampire only Jonestownesque cult who find each other amidst the rubble of their tortured and shattered lives.
    The author pulls on heartstrings while letting her stars get plenty sweaty and bloody full of rage bent on revenge that’s more than
    Pam Nelson
    Ward always says she has a hard time writing females but I didn’t find that to be the case at all with Ahmare. She was pretty awesome, she is determined to get her brother back. Even if that means taking a dangerous prisoner (Duran) who has been locked up for over 20 years with her.
    They have to find and retrieve something for her brother to get released.

I loved Duran, he is exactly who you would think of when you think of someone who has been held against their will for that long.
    But oddly pos
    J.R. Ward is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of numerous novels, including the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. She lives in the South her family.

Black Dagger Brotherhood (1 - 10 of 18 books)
    • Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
    • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
    • Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)
    • Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)
    • Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
    • Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6)
    • Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7)
    • Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8)
    • Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9)
    • Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10)
    “Just do it,'' she prompted him. Then she rolled her eyes. ''God, you've turned me intro a Nike commercial.”
    ― J.R. Ward, Prisoner of Night”
    0 likes
    “Still, she felt as though she mattered, and not just in some ephemeral emotional sense, but in a nuts-and-bolts, chassis, gas-tank kind of way.” 0 likes