Start by marking “Prisoner of Night (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16.5)” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of Night (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16.5)

Prisoner of Night

(Black Dagger Brotherhood #16.5)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author J.R. Ward comes an unforgettable story of passion and vengeance set in the Black Dagger Brotherhood world.

When Ahmare’s brother is abducted, there is nothing she won’t do to get him back safely. She is unprepared, however, for the lengths she will have to go to save his life. Paired with a dangerous but enticing prisoner, she embar
Published January 7th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of Night, please sign up.
Lauren Ahmare and Duran.
Ahmare and Duran.
They are not main BDB characters but the story takes place in the BDB universe so to fully understand it you need knowledge of some of the backstory (Lessers, Shadows, the raids, etc.)(less)

Start your review of Prisoner of Night (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16.5)
Sophia Triad
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“You tortured the male I loved for two decades”

What I love mostly in the BDB series is that the heroes and heroines are less than ideal. And they never had an easy life. They have all suffered somehow and they all have survived and surprisingly they joke about it frequently.

Let's think about it.
●The King himself, Wrath, is blind. He has lost his parents growing up. He blames himself because he did not help them.
●Phury is not whole. He has lost his leg to save his brother. He was made fun of
Kat
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2
Another novella set in the BDB world! I really like that JR Ward is writing these and giving us a glimpse into the lives of “ordinary” vamps who aren’t Brothers. As a warning, parts of this one get pretty intense. Duran has been held captive and tortured for two decades, and there are some pretty graphic descriptions. Our heroine, Ahmere, is AWESOME. She’s on a mission to save someone important to her, and is a baddass in her own right. Plus we meet a collection of side characters in this one wh ...more
Jilly
*warning: there are multiple Dungeons & Dragons references within this review. If you don't want to get a bunch of nerd-cooties, you should probably move along...

Considering this was a novella which means that insta-love HAS to happen, it was pretty decent.

The love story is between Duran, a guy who has spent the last twenty years being tortured in a dungeon, and Ahmare, a vampire girl who is trying to rescue her brother from the Dungeon Master.

Not that kind of Dungeon Master! Besides, those idi
Kat Valentine
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this new cast of characters from the world of Jr ward. It was a great storyline with great characters and villians. It's about Duran who has been held captive and torchered by a evil warlord vampire chalen for over 20 years,but when ahmare brings the head of one of his enemies in trade for her brother who is also being held,she's sent to bring back chalen's beloved with the help of duran. Great chemistry and dialogue a great short read.💖💋
Penny
It was entertaining, but it did not reach me emotionally.

This was too fast. I didn’t get to enjoy an actual romance. The story is all action and suddenly, after 24 hours of meeting, the main characters are in love with each other. I enjoyed reading, I liked the idea, but I needed more.

To me, this story doesn’t belong in the BDB series. It feels more like a spin-off series. But as always happens with this universe’s books, it was nice to read.

BDB #1: Dark Lover - 4.5 stars
BDB #2: Lover Eternal
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
This might be the last time I buy a Ward book. Damn it! When will I learn!!

Firstly, why is "BDB" in ()??? It has nothing to do with that! Wrath might have been mentioned a couple of times and that's it!

Secondly, $5.99 for a novella??? Really??? And of course, a full book is priced at $15.99 + tax!! Now. If this was on the level of Lover Awakened I would have paid the money no questions asked. But I fear Ms. Ward peaked at that particular book. And now we're waaaayyyy too many down the line, wat
Jonetta
This novella is set in the world of the Brotherhood featuring two entirely new characters. Ahmare is seeking to gain her brother’s freedom from Chalen, his brutal captor, forced to comply with demands that stretch her moral limits. Duran is also one of Chalen’s captives, imprisoned for 21 years because he won’t divulge the location of something precious to this heartless leader of a silent force. Ahmare and Duran are made to team up to fulfill the final challenge, both having similar goals but w ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

One of my favorite authors, J.R. Ward, released a novella set in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. As this is one of my favorite series by her, I was very intrigued to see what this little treat would be like. I’ve always believed in Ward’s writing, but wondered how her writing would fare with short stories. As you know, her books tend to be on the long side, but I’m happy to note that this story definitely fulfill my BDB fan needs nicely.

This book is about Ahmare and Duran,
warhawke
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Type: Standalone (Novella) Book 16.5 of Black Dagger Brotherhood series
POV: Third Person
Rating:

Ahmare had an important task to complete. In order to save her brother from a tyrant, she must find what he seek. To do so, she found an unlikely ally in Duran. Both of them had their own personal agendas, but together, they worked for their goals. Unfortunately, success might cost them more than what they’re willing to pay.

Details were bad. Connection was bad. Seeing him
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
3 Stars!

This wasn’t a horrible read but if your a die hard Black Dagger Brotherhood Fan (like myself) you may be a bit disappointed. The Brotherhood gets a honorable mention but there are no apparences. Sadly, I didn’t find the H&h Ahmare and Duran compelling characters and the storyline was just okay.

photo 06C10F0B-FF17-49A2-AE85-C5D36651B8B6_zpsvuaazsbs.jpeg

All-in-all this was a nice novella till we get more of our beloved Brothers. I LOVED Dearest Ivie so I had high expectations which unfortunately fell a bit short....though I seem to be
AlwaysV
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful & tortured Duran so broke my heart. Few authors could do tortured Heroes/heroines? the way JR Ward could. The only difference was how I felt after reading. Torture in books written by other authors only succeeded in driving me away, no more, one and done.

I loved the way Ahmare saved him. Totally deserved five extra stars! If you loved the Shadows in the previous BDB books, there was kick ass Nexi, another Shadow for you to fall in love with. The bonus? This story didn't have just One
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
A love story in the midst of violence and payback.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I never read any of the other books in the series so I am not sure if I was missing something or not. However, to me, this was a standalone. I had no issues following the story.

This book smacks you in the face soon as you start it. It is raw and gruesome in parts, written with such imagery that you almost want to read it in bits and pieces due to the violence. But it also compels you to never put it down!

It’s a story about vamp
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
As a Black Dagger Brotherhood fan, I’m game for anything that resides in the same world. And as I read the opening pages of Prisoner of Night, I knew I was going to be consumed alive by another dark, raw, compelling story by the master J.R. Ward. Once I began, the outside world ceased to exist for me until I read the final page of this novella – one that reads with the depth of plot and fully-explored characterizations of a full-length book.

Ahmare is on a mission to free her brother from the ho
Candace Tidwell
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captivating and gut wrenching. Prisoner of the Night is an excellent addition to the Black Dagger series. A story all it's own, but intriguing nonetheless.
Beth
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prisoner of Night is a quick novella length read that packs a punch.

Ward submerses the reader into her story telling with dark and graphically descriptive circumstances that will make the light-hearted reader cringe. That being said, I wouldn't have wanted to miss this shorter additions to the Black Dagger Brotherhood world.

Fast paced, bone chilling, goose-bump raising, and a perfect example of why J.R. Ward is the queen of storytelling.

I received this ARC copy of Prisoner of Night from Gallery.
R Y A N  ⚡️
3.5/5 - *** EDIT ***

Gallery is going to lose readers for Ward and the BDB series. Bad advertising and watered down everything.

I’m concerned that this new publisher is watering down everything great about Ward’s work EXCEPT the language. I’m not impressed. Why are there swords instead of daggers on the covers? Why are the covers weird? Why was the book advertised as a Legacy book on the UK cover and a BDB book in the US?! It’s a damn novella in the BDB world. When the author has to go on social
crίѕтίŋα•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•
3.5 ⭐️

“Endurance, rooted in his revenge, had been his only emotion.”
- Duran

* * *
“Duran had never thought there could be anything more visceral, more consuming . . . more important . . . than revenge. Everything else he had ever experienced had been in the category of discardable distractions, the sights, smells, thoughts, or feelings like pennies spilled from his pockets, nothing valuable enough to make him stop and retrieve what he’d lost or ignored.”
- Duran

* * *
“I tried to tell them it was al
My Own Bookshelves
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Carol [Goodreads Addict]
I have not been as deeply invested in a Black Dagger Brotherhood couple since Lover Eternal. Don't get me wrong. You are definitely reading a review from a certified fangirl. But normally from book to book , I feel invested in one character more so than the other in getting their HEA. And connecting with one solidly is not a bad thing, because JR Ward writes an entertaining adventure each and every time for this reader.

Wrath and Beth. Rhage and Mary. They have been forever my equal-on-a-pedesta
Paola
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great book, it's storyline was amazing, the hero and the heroine were made for each other and the villains were very mean.
Definitely a must read of you want a short story with great romance and some action.
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Though by JRW standards this is a novella, this book is longer than a lot of contemporary romance novels.

So what did I think.

AWESOME

This woman can do no wrong. I loved Duran (though every time I heard his name I thought of Duran Duran).

Duran was the kind of male I love— broken. Which is why V is my favorite. Funny enough Z never really did it for me. Anywho, I loved him and Amiri together.

Great read, wanted more. Never to end would be good. I can’t wait for next installment.
Permanently_Booked
I should've read the reviews before jumping into this one. I originally thought it would be a novella around one of the Brothers in the series. This is based in the BDB world but does not include characters from the main books. Overall, it was still a good read (I mean it IS J.R. Ward we're talking about here). I recommend this for anyone who needs a fix while you anxiously await a new release.
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
Originally posted at Booklovers For Life

The Black Dagger Brotherhood is one of those must-read PNR series that everyone knows, reads, and loves, and for good reason. There’s nothing quite like this world of vampires and alpha-males, both of which I can never get tired of if J.R. Ward writes it. Some of my favorite bookish heroes have come from this series (RHAGE!) and for that I will forever be grateful to the Warden.

In Prisoner of Night, we get a little break from the BDB boys and are introduce
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
This was the perfect little snack read while waiting for the main course, Savior, to come in April! I am a massive fan of these characters, Ahmare and Duran, and I really hope we get to visit them again in the BDB world. The absolutely creepy intro sets the tone and feel of this novella for its entirety.

You do not have to have read the previous novels to enjoy Prisoner of Night. It's a great way to get to know Ward’s writing style and a bit of the genre. A perfect way to kick off the new year, b
Cássia Bezerra Santos
Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was a great piece of shit! My God, I've never been so bored with a book written by JR Ward. The romance is extremely forced and chiche, the characters are one-dimensional and the story is not at all exciting.

What troubled me most in this story was how the romance was built, in less than 24 hours, despite all the trauma and danger, the main character decides to have sex with a guy she took out of a dungeon ... just because he was attractive. Why have a minimum of self preservation if yo
Stacie
3 1/2 Stars!

Kim
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This is a novella based in the Black Dagger Brotherhood world, but can honestly be read as a stand alone story. It is based on this new couple and story line that is contained in this book. It is a good way to wade a toe into the BDB world or try J.R. Ward's writing style. I actually found it easier to read since it was solely focused on this couple and their adventures and did not flip between multiple story lines as the longer ones do.

Duran has been held in a dungeon for twenty one years with
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

This is what I wish every Black Dagger Brotherhood novel would be like! It's one condensed complete adventure/story prominently featuring one couple and setting up a possible next book in the last chapter or two. The problem I have with her intertwined storylines is because it's rare that I want to read both of them. It's happened and when it does it does amazing things for the story/series/characters but when it doesn't I get to do a lot of skimming (which I don't neces
Tammy
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 🌟’s 😊
Laura Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This wasn’t bad. But for 6$ you really don’t get your moneys worth as it can be read in under two hours. It has no tie ins with BDB at all. No idea why it’s labeled book 16.5 in that series 🤷‍♀️ Duran and Ahmare are an ok couple. The shadow Nexi is more interesting.
ValerieC
January 11, 2019
DNF - Returned for Refund

I read a little over a quarter of this novella before giving up. I am a little shocked that I did, because I almost never DNF books.

The story has nothing to do with the BDB, but is about two 'civilian' vampires with sketchy/criminal relatives they are trying to help, or to go get revenge against. Unlike a novella I totally ĺoved, Story of Son, this started off brutal and gory, and wasn't getting better. It just isn't anything I care about, so I returned i

• Break the Day (Midnight Breed, #16)
  • Cipher (Demonica Underworld, #8; Demonica, #18)
  • The Darkest King (Lords of the Underworld, #15)
  • The Darkest Captive (Lords of the Underworld, #14.5)
  • Hour of Darkness (Hunter Legacy, #2)
  • Vengeance Road (Torpedo Ink #2)
  • The Trouble With Vampires (Argeneau #29)
  • Wolf Rain (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #3; Psy-Changeling, #18)
  • The Darkest Assassin (Lords of the Underworld, #14.6)
  • Wicked Bite (Night Rebel, #2)
  • Desolation Road (Torpedo Ink, #4)
  • Alpha's Promise (Dark Protectors #10)
  • Dragon Claimed (Dark Kings #14.5)
  • Edge of Darkness (Hunter Legacy, #3)
  • Toxic Game (GhostWalkers, #15)
  • Vengeance (Dark Protectors #9.5)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • Frost and Flame (Gods of War, #2)
J.R. Ward is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of numerous novels, including the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. She lives in the South her family.

Black Dagger Brotherhood (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)
  • Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)
  • Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
  • Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6)
  • Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7)
  • Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8)
  • Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9)
  • Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10)