Start by marking “The Red Death” as Want to Read:
The Red Death

The Red Death

"EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST PART OF THE STAND." --Amazon reader *****

DEATH HAS A NEW COLOR

A fast-paced, gripping thriller in the tradition of Michael Crichton, Robin Cook, and Dan Brown, The Red Death is a thriller fueled by the re-emergence of an ancient plague that gave rise to the Black Death--and the people trying to stop it. The question is: How do you stop somet
Published September 25th 2018

Aina
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It's been a while since I've read a medical thriller and the premise of a plague gone loose hooked me at the start. I really liked the different point of views of various characters as they first encounter the plague and subsequently falls victim to the sickness. The writing is strong in this area, as each character comes from different backgrounds and living situations. A particularly notable character is Maggie, the Medical Examiner who tries to find the source of the plague while facing resis ...more
Terri
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cases start emerging in NYC where the victims are dying of a bacteria similar to the Black Death of the Middle Ages. Only this pathogen is 100% fatal. The CDC investigates and find an ancient bacteria that one professor's career had been destroyed over when no one believed his findings. A search for a natural cure takes the Professor and a CDC researcher to the Amazon while the plague starts spreading quickly throughout the world.

The story is told by multiple POVs including some of the first pa
Jolie
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
It had been a while since I read a pandemic novel. When I read the blurb for The Red Death, I was intrigued and was eager to read the book. I wasn’t let down. The Red Death was a fantastic book to read.

The plotlines for The Red Death were super fast. From the first point of infection to the end, the author didn’t let the pace falter. I was impressed that she was able to convey the desperation behind the actions of the main characters.

The author also did something that I rarely see most authors d
Anne Wingate
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Plague

I found this a better and more absorbing novel than more lucrative books written by better known writers on the same topic. We see what apparently is the zero case in New York. We see the pandemic spreading from city to city, state to state, nation to nation. We see the quarrels between agencies as to who is to do what to stop the spread. We see the search for a vaccine or a cure stalled by politics, even as victims ranging from vicious criminals to hard-working grandparents, from internat
Amy Ayers
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an exciting fast-paced read in the vein of some of the great medical thrillers written by Robin Cook and Michael Crichton. I highly recommend this book if you enjoy thrillers that you can't put down from start to finish.
P.S. Winn
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this story that is reminiscent of Cook or Crichton medical thriller. A plague from days past has returned to the present with a veracity no one expected. The author has a great writing style and has brought this tale to life with a tale that readers can enjoy.
Monster
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers-adult
The Red Death is a thrilling tale of a deadly pandemic. The Red Death is caused by an unknown bacterium that caused an ancient pandemic before Pasteurella pestis and the Black Death, and now it has re-emerged in New York City. The Red Death causes hemorrhagic nodules in the lungs; its victims vomit blood as their lungs fill with it, and death follows within days of infection.Starting off with a few deaths, the story traces the spread and exponential growth of the epidemic.

The cast of characters
Karen York-fair
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a page turner!

From the very first chapter the author had me hooked. I like the way every other chapter kept track of what each character was doing. This book was very similar to the movie “Outbreak”, which I thought was very well done. I recommend this book.
Ann Titus
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gripping

Well written. Pulls you into a story of people, and life. Implores self exploration, and I once again need to think how man is destroying life. And I will continue to do what I can , and not add to the destruction.
Bobby
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With "The Red Death", author Birgitte Märgen crafts an engaging medical thriller, that does occasionally go a bit over-the-top; but I think that worked well here.

A hospital worker is on his way home when he sees a glistening coin near a pet store's dumpster. Shortly thereafter, the man dies and a janitor at the same hospital picks up the coin. He dies after coming in contact with the coin as well. As the coin continues to trade hands, the death toll quickly rises. Therefore, the CDC is called in
Melissa
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise of the story was intriguing, but the pacing was bogged down by unnecesary details and borderline pedantic descriptions of science basics.

My primary issue with the book were the sexist, homophobic, classist, and fat shaming elements to how characters were described or in the "thoughts" of the characters. There are ways to show an audience that a character is an a-hole without being homophobic and just because women are often written as ditzy in the wilderness doesn't mean they *have*
philip booth
Oct 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Why did I bother to finish this book?

I started because I thought it might be a new take on the plague of mankind genre. Not so. It is completely formulaic and completely unbelievable. The sub plot in the Amazon borders on the ridiculous with our explorers miraculously saved from the cooking pot of one of the indigenous tribes Throw in a completely wet love interest in the jungle and you have all the ingredients of a third rate read. Here's hoping they don't think about making the movie.
Nikson Mathews
May 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was initially excited to read this. The concept was intriguing, but as I got into the book I was disappointed by the amount of bigotry, homophobia and sexism written into the the. In terms of story, there were a lot of holes and lazy writing featuring seeming insurmountable scenarios that conveniently worked out with little effort.
Dawn Meyer
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good quick read. I enjoy pandemic/dystopian fiction. Overall, I enjoyed the story however I felt the book changed pace at the end, wrapped up too quickly compared to the pacing of the original discovery and spread. A 400 page book masquerading as 300 pages. Still an enjoyable read.
Jaymee Turner
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Could have been better

The book was very predictable. The characters were not developed well and too much was crammed into too little. Needed more meat to it story was rushed.
parker severaid
May 26, 2019
Patricia
Mar 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Birgitte Märgen began writing stories at the age of nine. Her eclectic style of writing crosses over many genres. An avid thrill-seeker, she can usually be found high above the ground or far below. Her books include the bone-chilling thriller The Red Death and the gothic fairytale, Evie and the Upside-Down World of Nevermore. She lives in the mountains with her family.

*****************************