Start by marking “Ties of Destiny (Curse of the Crown #1)” as Want to Read:
Ties of Destiny (Curse of the Crown #1)

Ties of Destiny

(Curse of the Crown #1)

When forces both inside and outside the palace walls threaten the life of Crown Prince Akoni, he finds himself in need of a guard. Someone who will protect not only him, but also his secrets – and he may have found the perfect man for the task.

Being a soldier is Jeffery’s life. He won’t be defined by his past, but fights for the present, not some future he will never see.
Published October 28th 2018 (first published October 26th 2018)

Line
Nov 02, 2018 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
Freebie at amazon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Ties-Destiny...
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Reviewed on The Blogger Girls.

(view spoiler)
Coco.V
Nov 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (11/17/2018)!💝

Blurb:
Forces both inside and outside the palace walls threaten the life of Crown Prince Akoni. He finds himself in need of a guard. Someone who will protect, not just him, but also his secrets, and he knows just who he wants.

Being a soldier is Jeffery’s life, his past won’t define him. The present is what he fights for, not a future he will never see. When Jeffery finds himself reassigned to the palace then forced to become a personal guard fo
John-Torleif  Harris
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was pulled into this story from the very fiery chapter. I loved the dynamic between Jeffrey and the Prince and loved seeing both characters learn about one another.

The author did an excellent job of seeing this world up, without it ever feeling like a massive data dump, and without me ever feeling lost due to a lack of sufficient information. I thought that both Jeffrey and Akoni were strong main characters who were very relatable and realistically portrayed.

This series has just shot up to my
Ashley
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun book to read. It totally teased you the whole time with the snippets of Jeffrey's past, and I'm dying to find out more about his story. I think there's a good mix of enemies to friends to lovers, as well as a touch of fantasy that I wasn't expecting in terms of magic. I'm terrified for what the future will hold for Akoni's magic with Jeffrey running off, as well as how the curse will affect the prince. I can't wait for the sequel.
Teresa Banschbach
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from my usual read.

It is a little long but keeps your interest. Looking forward to next book. Not usually fond of series, but let's see what happens in book 2
Nastya
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Lots of suspense. Steamy romance.
Franklin Belcher
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. This is exactly the type of book I loved to read.
A true fantasy with gay characters. That has a great plot and doesn't rely on erotic sex to dominate like so many other books depend on. I totally enjoyed every page of this book. Such strong characters as Jeffrey and the prince both surrounded in mystery that I ...still wasn't able to figure out. This book left me with so many questions, I love a book that keeps me thinking and guessing. I can't wait to read more about these 2
Sanna
3.5 I liked this in general but if you're looking for a hot read it wasn't really quite that for at least me.
Hooks4Books
A decidedly medieval milieu with sword fighting and kings and princes and out of the blue there’s modern cars and trains??? WTF??? Sorry but I just can’t! Someone has invented cars and trains but not guns? It’s these types of major inconsistencies that ruin a story for me. If the setting is medieval in style, which is great and what I thought I was getting, then stick to it. Don’t throw
in absolutely inane and nonsensical details. Because of this, unfortunately, barely a third in, my experience
Misty
** 4.5 Stars **

I really enjoyed the whole created storyline, the "slow-burn" between Jeffery and Prince Akoni, the "hate to love" relationship progress.

Readers beware : there's no resolution at the end of this book, we'll have to wait for the next one, I hope (not my favorite thing!). A great read nonetheless.
George Pettus
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Very Good Read

Well written very proactive keeps your interest high also a very good blending between Ancient and semi-modern times. Good characters well thought out believable.
Eclectic Book Life
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find it hard to find a good fantasy story with same sex relationship as the main character and this book does deliver. I was a bit disappointed with the sleeping with other characters but that is a personal pet peeve rather than a plot hole in the story. There is court intrige, magic, power and love what more could you need. The ending is very much leading into the second book and at this stage I think I know what the twist will be but still an interseting journeey getting there. There is lova ...more
Meg
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 🌟

This is an interesting mix of knights and sword fighting, magic, and...cars and electricity? Yes, a very interesting mix indeed. There are several editing/proofreading issues, but only one that really bothered me.

Akoni is the Crown Prince of a cursed line of royalty. From the story so far, only his line carries the gift of magic, but this is only beginning to be explored in this book. He is seen by his subjects as cruel and...lazy? But, in politics, everyone has a part to play.

Jeffrey is
Patdbooks
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'M HOOKED

I have just finished this book and the only complaint I have, which I have shared directly with the author, is how am I suppose to wait for books 2 and 3.

Truly a great story. Helped by getting an insight to Jeffrey in 'Chains of Punishment' . Jeffrey the reader gets a picture is a man who is traumatised by his past, his actions, his fear of the consequences of letting anyone get close to him. You see the strength within him in that fear is not about him. He is frustrating, kind, blind,
Melanie
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 4.25 stars out of 5

for the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-geY

From that review:Well, Ties of Destiny is certainly an unusual sort of fantasy novel.  I enjoyed it immensely even if or maybe because it reads more like a fantasy mystery novel than it does a straight out fantasy fiction.  With most fantasy series, the first story is full of world building, set the stage with our characters, their backgrounds, relationship dynamics, and any hu
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
4 Stars!

Ties of Destiny is book 1 of the Curse of the Crown series and my first book by this author, and as such, it was a very nice introduction to both Caitlin Taylor and this fantastical world she's created and that blends historical romance with magic technology (mostly cars and electricity).

The characters, both main and secondary, were complex and tridimensional. I really liked Jeffrey and Prince Akoni and thought their relationship developed organically considering all that was happening a
Rachwithheadinabook
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of a series which I hope has an overarching storyline about Akoni the crown Prince and Jeffrey a soldier who becomes the prince's bodyguard, it has a really very slow burning romance within.
I wasn't sure what to make of this book at first so much so I had to put it down read something different and then come back to it. The book seemed medieval in origins with its sword practice, castles and servants, but then it has cars and motorbikes which run on crystals add in the mag
kathleen
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this slow burn romance/fantasy story. I was fascinated with Jeffrey and Akoni and loved getting to see how their characters developed.

The author does a great job of world building while moving the story forward. There is a great plot that will hold your interest. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.
Pat Nelson
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this intriguing, fascinating, and totally awesome story by this new-to-me author, but the myriad glitches constantly threw me for a loop. I'm willing to give book two a try though.
SunShiney10
Anhul100
Nov 24, 2018
Marissa
Feb 19, 2019

Caitlin Taylor is the author of the Curse of the Crown series.

She lives in the west of Ireland – that is until the rain stops being a good enough excuse to stay indoors with a good book and mug of hot cocoa! She has lived in Germany as well as Canada, loves travelling and exploring foreign places and meeting people from different cultures and backgrounds.

Reading has always been a beautiful escape