Start by marking “Severed Veil: Tales of Death and Dreams” as Want to Read:
Severed Veil: Tales of Death and Dreams

Severed Veil: Tales of Death and Dreams

A dream-traveling boy haunted by a broken girl. A cursed warrior, weary of bloodshed. A princess who battles dragons in an enchanted slumber. A treacherous graveyard in the stars.

From Bethany A. Jennings—author of Threadbare and Dragon Lyric—come twelve mesmerizing short works of poetry and prose that boldly pierce the shadows. Severed Veil contains a selection of fantasy,
Published October 27th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Severed Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Severed Veil

Start your review of Severed Veil: Tales of Death and Dreams
Sarah White
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, poignant collection of stories and poems that hit hard and linger long. Thoroughly enjoyable!
C.S. Johnson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick, delightful read that blossoms into something deeper with time. Each story and poem is short and thoughtful, but carries hidden meanings and leads your mind down sad, silly, or surprising tangents. Recommended for reading sprinters. ❤️
Serethiel ☽ ✨
Dear world,

BETHANY JENNINGS HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT & IT IS GOING TO BE UTTERLY AMAZING.

Sincerely,

a fangirl

cover reveal
Laura A. Grace
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

Wow! This was a deep collection and one that really reaches to the core.

I've read the author's two previous short stories, but it was truly a treat to read so many different stories and poems. She has a beautiful way of conveying thoughts and ideas (or just a story!) that gave me a little thrill as one of her readers.

Interestingly enough, I strongly enjoyed the poems the most. Not that I don't like poetry, but it surprised me how much I did. Her poem "Blaze" was definitely my favorite
C.O. Bonham
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-met-the-author
Severed Veil by Bethany A. Jennings is a short read. It contains mostly flash fiction and poetry. But it is so beautifully written that you will want to savor it and maybe even go back and reread some. So much heart and soul went into these works, especially the poetry, that you may feel haunted after you finish.

I highly recommend this short collection, it just might have something that will speak to you.
Julia Garcia
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sort of anthology of short stories and poems, "Severed Veil: Tales of Death and Dreams" is so much more than a tiny book sitting on a bookcase.
The collection has stories that deal with loss, the importance of hope, creativeness and so much more.

A section that really stuck out to me was the poem, "Living in the Light". This poem was about someone who is trying to help someone struggling with depression or another difficulty.
As someone that struggles on and off with depression and has trie
Janine
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
in Severed Veil, Bethany A. Jennings brings a beautiful collection of 11 pieces of short fiction (7 short stories, 4 poems), all based around the theme of life, death and dreams, each in various settings, though most veered towards the fantasy side of things. Each of the short stories examine a different perspective of those themes, all wonderfully written with vivid prose that had me thinking about each story after it ended, especially with the ones with a big twist at the end. I can’t pick a f ...more
Rand Reviews
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC and this is my honest review. I absolutely loved this book of stories and poems. There was not one I did not enjoy, and a few that I cannot stop thinking about. Living in the Light was my favorite. I recommend this book with all my heart. This was not my first book by Bethany and I was not disappointed. She has a definate way with words.
Brianna
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Severed Veil is a gorgeous collection of short stories and poetry. I loved them all, but several really spoke to me. I highly recommend this collection! There's something for everyone, and the rich language makes each of these pieces a delightful treat.
Michelle Bruhn
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely anthology from the mind of Bethany Jennings. I enjoyed each short story, but the real treat for me was the poetry—I saw myself in most of it, my feelings articulated as I'd never been able to. Will definitely read again!
Janeen Ippolito
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, carefully composed anthology of poetry and short stories that captivate the mind and sooth/challenge the heart. A bit of brilliance in the deep and mysterious darkness.
Don W Hunter
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories and poems inspires deep thought, courage, and hope. A must-read!
Cassandra Hardt
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read. Highly recommend checking it out.
Julia Garcia
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

As someone that struggles on and off with depression and has tried t
Rosalie
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so blessed by this collection! The poems are each unique and striking, the stories read like poetry in prose, and the the beautiful sketches by Julia Busko add another layer of beauty to this collection!

Each story is very unique yet they all fit together so well under the theme "tales of death and dreams" (with the exception of one titled The Disconnect which felt like it could have gone in a different collection, but I can't really complain because it was one of my favorites, haha).

If yo
David Justiss
Honestly I hoped some of the stories would be longer, but I was not disappointed because the stories were no less good for being short. Bethany Jennings does flash fiction better than I've read anywhere else*. And I loved the poems too. I read Diamonds at the perfect time when I needed the reminder that God is sharpening me.
I'll say it again: I really loved these stories and poems.

(*To be honest, I haven't read a lot of flash fiction because most of it just seems too short for me to connect with
Stephanie
Jan 04, 2019
Crystal Crawford
Jun 14, 2019
Bethany Jennings
Sep 28, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Sarah Ashwood
T.A.
Brianna
Anna Tan
Sep 29, 2018

• The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Heart of the Curiosity
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • Whispers From The Depths
  • Coral
  • If Wishes Were Curses (The Steel City Genie #1)
  • Artificial Love
  • The Electrical Menagerie (The Celestial Isles #1)
  • One Flew Through the Dragon Heart (Favan & Flew, #1)
  • To Court a Queen
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Stars Descend (A Game of Stars and Shadows #1)
  • How to Catch a Unicorn and Other Misadventures: A Humorous Romance Anthology
  • Magicians' Rivalry (Spellsmith & Carver #1)
  • Faithless (Ironfire Legacy, #2)
  • Flourish (The Green Princess #3)
Bethany A. Jennings is a YA fantasy and poetry author of intense, lyrical words that reach the heart and pierce the darkness. In addition to her work as acquisitions editor and author liaison at Uncommon Universes Press, she also runs #WIPjoy, a popular hashtag game for authors. Born in SoCal, Bethany now lives in New England with her husband, four kids, zero pets, and a large and growing collecti ...more