Jump to ratings and reviews

Reducing Territorial Frameworks: Attacking and Defending Moyos

4 books1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews
Profile Image for Tran.
68 reviews27 followers
September 23, 2017
It's not always the case that invading the opponent's territories is the only option of attacking. So the concept of reducing moves (keshi) is born.

The aim of a reducing move is to limit the expansion of his territorial framework (moyo) or reducing its size. As the author put it, this technique would not bring actual profit locally maintains territorial balance in the overall context.

I like the way Fujisawa Shuko structured the (traditional) priority of fuseki and or the options available when players transition from opening to middle game (surrounding, expanding, reducing and invading). Born impatient, many times I find myself playing the intuitive way rather than consider different possibilities or calculate moves ahead. This structure therefore is quite useful.

The minus point of the book is that there are way too many variations of every single technique, and they are not presented in a way that easy to follow. Or maybe the book is written not for my current level.

Would aim for a re-read some time in the future.
Profile Image for Liedzeit Liedzeit.
Author 1 book65 followers
January 27, 2023
I used to play Go tournaments and sometimes I would buy Go books. Most of them I did not read. I thought the time would come when I would study them. But things change and even though I have enough time now to study Go I also know that chances are slim that I would actually improve my strength.

Also, with the advent of strong Go AI all the books are more or less outdated.

I did read this one, and it was kind of fun. Like the title says the aim of the book is to teach you how to reduce territorial frameworks. There are loads of nice examples and everything sounds quite convincing. Most of it was more or less familiar but not really in my bones. So had I studied this twenty years it might have done me some good.

But the most important things, Fujisawa says, you cannot really learn, you need to know by intuition, How deep can you invade? Where is the best move?

Now, AI does not need intuition. It just knows. (And this is one of the reasons the game lost a lot of the appeal it held for me.)

In the last chapter we get problems. There is a certain position on the board and the question for the reader is to find the correct move. What is correct? Of course, the move the professional says is correct. So I took the trouble to ask KaTrain (a Go program of super-human strength) and not to my surprise KaTrain disagrees. The move Fujisawa dismisses as bad is suggested by the program and the Fujisawa’s "correct" move is not even considered. And guess who I think is right?

It is really sad when you think about it. But that is the way things are.
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.