Start by marking “Palm Beach, Finland” as Want to Read:
Palm Beach, Finland

Palm Beach, Finland

Jan Nyman, the ace detective of the covert operations unit of the National Central Police, is sent to a sleepy seaside town to investigate a mysterious death. Nyman arrives in the town dominated by a bizarre holiday village—the "hottest beach in Finland." The suspect: Olivia Koski, who has only recently returned to her old hometown. The mission: find out what happened, by
Published August 30th 2018 by Orenda Books (first published September 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Palm Beach, Finland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palm Beach, Finland

Whispering Stories
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Palm Beach Finland is an odd little book. If it was made into a film it would rival some of the strangest movies ever made. At times I wasn’t sure whether it was the way the author intended or the translation that made the plot so ‘out there’ – Think of it as a Tarantino-Esq book.

The story begins with someone being killed in a house, accidentally and in a most bizarre way, but the person isn’t the owner and no-one knows who they were. We then m
Meggy
Not the right version but OH MY GOD THIS BOOK!
Eva
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5* --> 4*

Sunshine, sandy beaches, palm trees. What more could you want?

Welcome to Palm Beach … Finland!

Wait, what? *screeches to a halt*

Yes, Palm Beach Finland. The hottest beach in Finland. Where everything is bright neon lights, it’s cold, the beaches are mostly empty and the palm trees are made of plastic. Not exactly the paradise you find offered in the glossy brochures.

But something is afoot in this not-quite paradise. There has been a mysterious death and Jan Nyman is sent undercover
Kate
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
Thebooktrail
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it wrong that I really want to visit this Palm Beach even though its fictional and sit on an inflatable flamingo?

Antti has one wicked sense of humour and this is no more apparent than in this book. It's dark, humourous and darkly humourous.

Palm Beach Finland is a destination you'll want to have on your literary boarding pass this summer!
Andy Weston
I enjoyed Tuomainen’s earlier two novels translated to English, Dark As My Heart and The Man Who Died but this was pretty dreadful.
In his acknowledgements the author says how his novels are either very dark, or ‘with a dose of black humour flavouring the noir’. If that’s the case he should stick to the very dark, the humour doesn’t work, even if some of it is lost in translation. In trying to bring levity to his characters they end up becoming ridiculous figures, with almost a slapstick typ
Jen
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Oh how I love this man’s wit. Dark humour at its best, this Finnish Noir is a work of pure class.

I loved the subtlety of the humour in The Man Who Died and this has been perfected once more for Palm Beach Finland. Characterisation is brilliant, the description of the landscape as chilling as a Finnish summer and the story... Oh boy the story.

So many times I was out and out chuckling. Many elements I could identify with and then a series of scenarios and situations which were just timed to perfec
Alison
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno-2019, adult, funny
It's been a while since I read a book like this so I'd forgotten how much I love dark humour and this book is chock full of it. Add to that incompetent criminals, a few twists and turns, and a little bit of romance and this is damn near perfect. The writing, or possibly the translation, is absolutely wonderful with humorous dialogue, slightly eccentric but oddly believable characters and a plot that will hook you from the very start.

I'm not sure what's holding me back from that 5th star, possibl
Laura Rash
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Antti has a book where his sense of humor shines right thru a great story! A lil bit mystery, quirky whodunnit, that has some great characters that are all so different it makes for a great read. Quite a few times I found myself chuckling over one liners and got odd looks from the fam;)
Thanks to Orenda for this copy:)
Beverley
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last year I read and reviewed The Man Who Died by Antti Tuomainen and loved its dark humour cleverly wrapped up within a mystery. It even got the gold seal of approval from my dad who declared it one of the best books he had ever read – high praise indeed. When I was at Theakston’s Crime Writing Festival in July this year I managed to snaffle a copy of his new book, Palm Beach Finland off the lovely Karen Sullivan, Queen of Orenda Books and as you can imagine, I was over the moon.

This is another
Eurocrime
Rounding up to 3 stars. Had high hopes but found this slow and unfunny.
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
My Rating 3.5*

Sex, lies and ill-fitting swimwear … Sun Protection Factor 100’

Sometimes I just love reading a book that has a quirky edge to it, a book that would not normally be on my radar. Today I have my review for you all of such a book. Palm Beach, Finland is the personification of quirky and is described as being a book that gives a nod to, that wackiest of movies, Fargo.

Described as giving 'a nod to the darkest noir, Palm Beach, Finland is both a page-turning thriller and a wicked black
Karen
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, audio
After finishing THE MAN WHO DIED in almost record time, PALM BEACH FINLAND was recommended in the highest possible terms, so the audio version of it was obtained and listened to with haste. Another one that should have come with a warning about driving and listening, because I don't know how I've managed to survive these books whilst dodging kangaroos and dust storms on the roads recently. Needless to say PALM BEACH FINLAND is funny and a bit mad (in a good way), but it's a different sort of fun ...more
Beth (bibliobeth)
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars from me!

First of all, a huge thank you to Anne Cater for getting in touch and inviting me to take part in this blog tour and to Karen Sullivan at Orenda Books for providing me with a digital copy of this darkly humorous novel in exchange for an honest review. Palm Beach, Finland is my first experience with Antti Tuomainen's writing, although I do have one of his other novels, The Man Who Died which I included as part of my post, 18 Books I'd Like To Read In 2018, which I promise to try
Thelastwordreview
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No secret here, I really enjoy Nordic Crime Noir and also Antti Tuomainen’s books so I was delighted when his latest landed on my doormat a while back. Palm Beach Finland (Orenda Books) Still contains the added humour that makes Tuomainen’s thrillers so good.

Our intrepid detective Jan Nyman of the Covert Operations Unit of the National Central Police is now investigating the somewhat strange death of a man in a quiet and unassuming seaside town. But there is a holiday village here that has quit
Book-Social
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a good idea!

Why don't we open a beach resort Miami stylie but in Finland! Well, yes, it's cold but this particular beach is the hottest beach in the whole country! Well, yes, it may STILL be colder than my knackered central heating but we will stick some Palm Trees up (plastic of course) slap some neon paint on and a fake flamingo or two later bob's your uncle we have ourselves a holiday resort!

This is the idea of permanently sweaty Jorma Leivo (pink shirt, white blazer, shoulder pads) an
Maria
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had been an original read, with dark humour, complicated characters and the best beach in Finland. What more can you need?
Let’s start with a fact, a beach in Finland doesn’t sound so good, I’ve been there and the temperature is not really adequate to sun bath or enjoy a swim at the sea, be prepared for some chilly water and maybe a cold the day after? But this is not the point, is the idea of having a book based on a “high class” hotel announcing a great beach, this will only mean some twis
William Koon
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We can all recount the ugliness of living in 2019. But if you wish to escape for a while, consider Antti Tuomainen’s Palm Beach Finland. I look upon him as a thinking person’s Carl Hiaasen, not that I have any problems with Hiaasen’s writing either. But this Finnish phenomenon places joy on every page of this “thriller.” That word is too defining for a novel as graceful and complex as this.

You have a setting, which is the title, Palm Beach Finland. The thinking is one should have everything thos
Joanne Robertson
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Man Who Died by Antti Tuomainen was, unexpectedly, one of my most pleasurable reads earlier on this year so I knew that I needed to read his latest, Palm Beach Finland. I mean, with a title like that you must be intrigued too right?! And once again I’ve enjoyed a darkly humorous slice of Finnish life which had me chuckling at some rather outlandish scenes! My imagination was working overtime with some of the tableaux presented by the author and often not in a good way!!

If you enjoy your crim
Helena Halme
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As well as the title of the novel, Palm Beach Finland is a resort aimed at those holidaymakers who love the beach vibe but hate the heat. A concept that surely cannot but succeed in the chilly North?

In the sleepy Finnish town where the ambitious new owner of the holiday spot has some grand plans for the future of his business venture, a mysterious death has occurred. As the local police fail to solve the case, Jan Nyman, an ace detective of the covert operations unit of the National Central Pol
Julia
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Palm Beach, Finland is a darkly comic romp that reminded me of the work of Carl Hiaasen, early Christopher Brookmyre and – as the blurb says – Fargo.

Jan Nyman is a likeable lead character, and one of the few points of relative sanity in the farcical plot, and Olivia Koski is strong and ballsy. Rent-an-idiot(s), Chico and Robin seem brilliantly inept and Holma is creepy and unnerving. I think my favourite character though was Muurla, Nyman’s boss, with his excruciating and hilarious over-sharing
Kirja Vieköön!
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Tämä oli hulvattoman hauska!
Heli
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Olipas jälleen aikamoinen tarina! Kirjan useat tapahtumat ovat kerta kaikkiaan niin absurdeja, ettei niille voi kuin nauraa, vaikka sinänsä kyseessä ei olisikaan mikään iloinen asia. Tämä muista poikkeava tyyli viehättää. Aika täydellistä luettavaa siis jälleen.
Tracy Fenton
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
OK so this is quite an easy book to review in just 3 words. Bonkers, Quirky, Slapstick.

I read Antti Tuomainen’s last book The Man Who Died because I had been told it was absolutely wonderful, so I did and it was! Therefore, when I heard he had a new book Palm Beach, Finland out and was asked if I wanted to be on the blogtour, I jumped on board without even reading the blurb.

Once again, the author displays a talent for wacky and hilarious characters, absurb plotlines, ridiculous situations and a
Marina Sofia
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slapstick, satire, compassion and high body count. An idiosyncratic mind at work.
Jacqueline Oestringer
Ein zufälliger Genickbruch, eine Ferienanlage im 80er-Jahre Strandlook und jede Menge trockener Humor. Damit konnte auch das zweite Buch, das ich von Antti Tuomainen lesen durfte, mich absolut hinter dem Ofen vorlocken.
Schon "die letzten Meter bis zum Friedhof" hat mit ein paar gelungene Lesestunden beschert, sein neues -und zugegeben sehr pinkes- Werk "Palm Beach, Finland", gefiel mir jedoch noch ein Ticken besser.
Zum einen kommen Fans des trockenen, schwarzen und für meinen Geschmack sehr gut
Laura Doherty
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m searching for the right words to describe Palm Beach Finland and somehow they are failing me, Part of me wants to say “just go and read it” because it was an utter joy to read. Yet that would seriously not do this quirky book justice.

The idea of a beach in Finland seams wacky enough, but then there is the weirdest murder ever, an undercover cop disguised as a holidaying maths teacher. If this was a TV series or film it would rival American Gods for its oddity, a Carry On Film or Monty Pytho
Cheryl M-M
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I shouldn’t really be surprised that Tuomainen has managed to write a crime novel, which takes place in Finland, that is an ode to the 80s and the very memorable cult police series Miami Vice. Think sun, palm trees, detectives dressed to the nines in bright suits and blazers, and streets lined with blinking neon signs. Now think cold breezy Finland, plastic palm trees, gaudy neon signs, uniforms a la Baywatch that barely cover body parts and a detective who dresses with a Woodstock vibe.

Olivia h
The Literary Shed
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Antti Tuomainen’s Palm Beach Finland is fast-paced and action packed from start to finish. It features strong protagonists and an entertaining supporting cast who stumble around the eponymous seaside resort where the novel is primarily set.

Although touted as a cross between Baywatch and Fargo, to my mind, Tuomainen’s style is more in keeping with the great ‘screwball noir’ movies of the past (like personal favourite Arsenic and Old Lace) which combine elements of film noir with the farce of scre
Rachel
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to try my best and not ramble on as I try to describe how brilliant this book is. Palm Beach Finland is the kind of book where I felt as if it had been written for me and my sense of humour. The wonderful dark humour that is used is the kind where you find yourself smiling and grinning away, along with maybe a few inappropriate giggles! The opening sets the scene for what is to follow and you really are in for a treat!

I loved all of the bizarre situations within this book they all comb
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Antti Tuomainen is the award-winning author of eight novels: A Killer I Wish, My Brother’s Keeper, The Healer, Dark as My Heart, The Mine, The Man Who Died, Palm Beach Finland and his latest – Little Siberia. He has been called ‘The King of Helsinki Noir’ by the Finnish press and his writing has garnered attention worldwide.

In 2011 his third novel The Healer was awarded the Clue Award for Best Fin