Start by marking “Hannah-Beast (Dark Corners Collection)” as Want to Read:
Hannah-Beast (Dark Corners Collection)

Hannah-Beast (Dark Corners Collection)

The fate of a lonely girl becomes part of a town’s shameful secret history in Thriller Award winner Jennifer McMahon’s terrifying story of guilt, retribution, and one tragic Halloween night.

Thirty-four years ago, on October 31, poor Hannah Talbott took part in a scavenger hunt gone violently wrong. The mean girls made sure of it. To this day, for a haunted local mother, th
Audible Audio, 2 pages
Published September 27th 2018 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Hannah-Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah-Beast

Start your review of Hannah-Beast (Dark Corners Collection)
Sandra
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandra by: Paula
Really good short story/thriller from the Amazon "Dark Corners" series that takes place on two Halloween nights. A captivating, tragic, and intense read.
marilyn
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Every Halloween, Amanda's mind is tormented by what happened thirty-four years ago, on Halloween night. She can never forgive herself for her part in a cruel hoax, a part she has never disclosed. That is the night she and her friends created Hannah-Beast, a night that destroyed so much.

A Kindle Unlimited selection

Jennifer McMahon’s Hannah-Beast is part of Dark Corners, a collection of seven heart-stopping short stories by bestselling authors who give you so many new reasons to be afraid.
Paula
Thoroughly entertaining short horror story. The story alternates back and forth between two different Halloween nights (one in 1982 and the other in 2016) and it's filled with some truly horrible characters, but I was completely transfixed throughout and it was a perfect read for Halloween-time.
Jayme
I finally know what a Hannah Beast is.

Little girls can be SOOO cruel.

Say BOO!

A short story, horror genre, perfect to LISTEN to on Halloween.🎃

Part of Amazon’s seven story, Dark Corners collection.
preoccupiedbybooks
Well that was horrifying! A tragic tale of mean girls, a lonely girl trying to fit in, and the guilt of complicity

Hannah-Beast alternates between events that happened in Halloween in 1982, and Halloween 2016, and was filled with nasty characters! It had a 'Carrie' vibe to it, and the pages were filled with tension. The ending was a real omg moment, which shocked me!

Amazing writing by Jennifer McMahon, she managed to pull me in, in only 47 pages, and made me care about the characters in this ente
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Ummm yeah no...not for me. Not what I had expected from this author. I have read a book by her in the past and expected- creepy, gothic- just all kinds of fantastic. I read the Invited and it chilled me to the bone. This short story was...sad. Just really cruel and sad.

I do love a good mean girl story but this took it too far. I found that even though it was a short story it dragged too much for me. The intense bullying and end result were disturbing. I will say the ending caught me completely o
Fran
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah-Beast(Dark Corners collection) by Jennifer McMahon is a Halloween tale highlighting the perils of complicity. What goes around comes around!
Ceecee
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another short story from the Amazon Dark Corners Collection and clearly one I should have read on October 31st not mid August. The story alternates between Halloween 1982 and 2016. In 2016 Hannah stops daughter Erin going out dressed as Hannah-Beast and through young Amanda in 1982 we learn the tragic story of the myth that grew up around the original Hannah. It’s not a pretty tale as Hannah is treated cruelly and suffers much taunting especially at the hands of vile Mel. It builds until it reac ...more
Diana • Book of Secrets
A Dark Corners short story from Amazon. Yikes. This was a horrifying and gruesome Halloween tidbit. Find out what a group of mean girls from 1982 and 30+ years of guilt will do! Enjoyable, yet disturbing, psychological suspense.
Krystin Rachel
*Updated

Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Hook: A bad costume choice.
Main Character: Should have used a smaller knife.
Plot Twisty-ness: Mean Girls meets Urban Legend

Of all the books in the Dark Corners collection, this was my absolute favourite. The whole structure of it is just so perfect, I can’t say enough. I’ve read Jennifer McMahon before and didn’t really care for her writing from that experience, but this short story is a fucking firecracker and I adored it.

It would be the perfect creepy Hal
Constantine
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-4-star, z2019-11

Rating: 4.0/5.0

Genre:
Horror

This was a good short story from Amazon. Hopefully, all the rest in the series will be as good too. It is categorized in the horror genre but to me, it feels more like a thriller. The story alternates between two timelines (1982 & 2016) and both the events happen in Halloween nights.

For such a short story I don't want to say much about the synopsis. All I will say is that it was entertaining but might have some trigger warnings to some. The mean unapologetic girls' t
Diane S ☔
3.5 I love Jennifer McMahon, her books are always different, surprising, she takes risks in her fiction, which I admire. Plus, this was an Amazon narrated prime freebie, so I couldn't resist. First scary book I have listened to, and the you g girls voices in this I find hard to forget. "Say Boo! Hannah beast" "We love you Hannah Beast." Oh, the cruelty of young girls.

So this seriously creeped me out and the very unexpected end was horrible but apropos.
Kimberly
I'm kind of torn on how I feel about this story. As with all the books i have read by McMahon, it is well written and atmospheric. But that ending!!! It definitely fits the tone of the story but I'm left feeling so disturbed that i kind of don't want to like it.
Char
Hannah-Beast was like Megan Abbott meets Stephen King.

Featuring an alternating time line, this story reminded me of Mean Girls with a horrific twist.

I liked it, but not as much as I had hoped.

*An Amazon Original with Audio, free with Prime.*
Erin
Definitely my favorite in the Dark Corners collection, this one had serious Stephen King vibes. A small town is celebrating Halloween and all the local children want to be Hannah-Beast, a character that has become part of town lore. Although Amanda insists to her daughter that there is no such person, as the narrative switches from the present to the past, we discover that isn't quite true. This Halloween, Hannah-Beast is looking for revenge.

Jennifer McMahon enjoys messing with our minds. Sh
Blair
(Context: Dark Corners is a set of 7 individually published short stories from the Amazon Original Stories imprint. After learning they’re all free to read for Prime members, I settled down to devote a Sunday afternoon to working through them.)

In 2016, Amanda is at loggerheads with her 13-year-old daughter Erin, who wants to dress as 'Hannah-beast' – apparently a local custom – for Halloween. In flashbacks, we learn where the story came from: Halloween 1982, with a group of bullies (of which
tamar
What a disturbing story! This is a part of the Dark Corners series (first story) available on Kindle Unlimited. I wish I could erase this from my memory. I'm going to skip to the Joyce Carol Oates story, I hope I land on more comfortable terrain.
Juli
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Hannah-Beast is the first story in the Dark Corners Collection, a collection of seven short stories offered up as Amazon/Audible Original content. I love listening to original horror stories on audio, so I jumped right on this collection! Glad I did -- each story is creative and different.

They say that urban legends and myths are based in fact. In this short story (I lean more towards novella really as the audio version of the story is just over an hour long....a bit lengthy for a short story),
Holly
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A good short story for spooky October.
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. This was an eerie, grim short story. The events which occurred on two Haloween nights (years apart) are horrifying and believable. The author made the plot credible without adding a supernatural element. The twist at the end was unexpected and shocking. This is one of seven short stories from the Amazon Prime Dark Corners collection. Very well done!
Cheryl
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Amazon original short stories collection, I have to say I like these.

This one is a great Halloween story, it reminded me of Carrie.

Nice writing, full of suspense and drama. As the story unfolded the tension built up nicely and I knew something was about to be revealed. Great traditional urban myth/horror/ghost story, really enjoyed it and the ending. Only a short book but packed a decent punch.

4.5*/5
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
This was a pretty good one. I think it's my first story by Jennifer McMahon.

Centered around a horrible event that happens in the main character's childhood on Halloween night, it flashes back and forth between past and present. As you learn what happened in the past, the tension builds fairly effectively.

I felt sorry for the bullied girl in the flashbacks. She was definitely naive, but children can be so cruel that it wasn't completely unbelievable either.

The ending was a decent one as well. Not
Rita
Sick, not scary

This is the third of the Dark Corners Collection and so far I have only liked one. I don't find bullying a girl to death and committing 2 other murders in the process to be just a Halloween Prank committed by a group of "cool" girls. And the ending was so sad and awful but I knew how it was going to end. I also think that in light of what happened, this town would have banned the Hannah Beast costume or at least more parents with any common sense would have made their children cho
Ellen Gail
It's short. It's creepy. It's free.

Stuff is set on fire. Things (pumpkins) are stabbed. Kids are assholes.

What more could you want? Just read it*

*or don't I mean I liked it but I have terrible taste and low self esteem and you probably should just go because this review is all downhere from here.

This was very spooky, perfect for October!
Montzalee Wittmann
Hannah-Beast by Jennifer McMahon, narrated by Any Landon, is a story about a bullied girl and how she becomes a local legend enough to be a Halloween character.
Melike
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this short story from Jennifer McMahon a lot. I didn't see the end coming at all, it gave me goosebumps. Perfect for Halloween!
Sep 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lol what did I just read

Halloween is optional. This story makes no sense. Why on earth would the mom even “celebrate” Halloween after what happened in 1982? Why wouldn’t she just say “that girl was my friend and it’s not okay to dress up like that on Halloween.” Best quote “It was after six, already full dark.” Full Dark.
Mark
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Well-written, but ultimately not for me. The “Kids Are Cruel” trope in horror/suspense fiction is generally something I avoid; however, this was short and free to read (on KU), and I’ve been wanting to try this author, so I gave it a chance. Unfortunately, it ended up being just a really sad story. I think I’d still like to read something else by Jennifer McMahon, as her actual writing style is good.
Lena
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, horror, 100-or-less
31165DA6-6901-45B1-9210-FD1D81A0C27F.jpg
Please. Don’t let them do this to me.
But Amanda had only pointed.
That’s her. That’s Hannah-beast.

This was brutal. Sociopathic mean girls, murder, unrelenting guilt, and one long wet carving knife to end it all.

• The Tangled Woods
  • There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed
  • The Remedy
  • The Sleep Tight Motel
  • Oak Avenue
  • Miao Dao
  • The Gift (Hush collection)
  • Slow Burner (Hush collection)
  • Treasure (Hush collection)
  • Let Her Be (Hush collection)
  • Loam
  • Snowflakes (Hush collection)
  • Will Williams
  • Controller (Warmer Collection #3)
  • The Way the World Ends (Warmer Collection #1)
  • The Beckoning Fair One
  • There's No Place Like Home (Warmer Collection #4)
  • Buried (Hush collection)
I'm the author of nine suspense novels, including Promise Not to Telll, The Winter People, and most recently, The Invited. I live in central Vermont with my partner and daughter, in an old Victorian that some neighbors call The Addams Family house.